• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are Apple computers so expensive/overpriced?

David B

An Idiot
My 14 inch MacBook Pro with Apple silicon was worth every penny. First laptop I'm truly happy with.
I was seriously going to buy it, the one with 16GB ram and M1 pro. But when I got the idea to compare specs with PCs I created this forum soon after. All the side by side pages I had just proved to me why am I always going mac? It's 500 more dollars! So yeah after the comparisons this forum came.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I was seriously going to buy it, the one with 16GB ram and M1 pro. But when I got the idea to compare specs with PCs I created this forum soon after. All the side by side pages I had just proved to me why am I always going mac? It's 500 more dollars! So yeah after the comparisons this forum came.

- Build quality
- Battery life
- The same performance when on battery and when plugged in
- It's quiet, it's cold
- I like the new design that's a throwback to PowerBook

It's simply worth it.

Blade2.0

Bingo. It might be a shock to people here, but truly productive people know what to do and what not to do.

What not to do?
Do endless benchmarks on dozens of components because you masturbate to tech specs.

What to do?
Buy a device that is nice, reliable, integrates with your other devices.

One and done, on to doing work.
What not to do? Buy overpriced hardware.

What to do? Not buy overpriced hardware.

Good thing I don't. I just laugh at people so triggered by apple's existence because they can't afford to buy the products. No different than the mentally ill console warriors.
Apple products are overpriced, but they're not so expensive that they're unaffordable in regards to comparable products
Your argument would only make sense if for example, an ASUS laptop cost $500 and the comparable Apple product cost $2500. Something like this could be considered a gap in affordability as you're suggesting, but it's not the case.

Apple makes great products, but for non casual users their Mac products are inferior in use to Windows with what you can do with them. As I mentioned in the other thread, the lack of productive OS features like Fancy Zones (permanent snaps through multiple desktops) and compatibility with a lot of open source applications.

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
Apple products are overpriced, but they're not so expensive that they're unaffordable in regards to comparable products
Your argument would only make sense if for example, an ASUS laptop cost $500 and the comparable Apple product cost $2500. Something like this could be considered a gap in affordability as you're suggesting, but it's not the case.

Apple makes great products, but for non casual users their Mac products are inferior in use to Windows with what you can do with them. As I mentioned in the other thread, the lack of productive OS features like Fancy Zones (permanent snaps through multiple desktops) and compatibility with a lot of open source applications.
Even with a $400 off sale right now at bestbuy the macbook pro 14 inch with 16GB ram, 512GB SSD is still about $300 more than a windows laptop with the same specs. Apple is nuts with there pricing on there laptops.

Rockondevil

My 2012 iMac is still going strong. That plus the way the ecosystem works so well together is what does it for me.

I do think some items are obviously overpriced like the phones, but that's not untrue of other brands either. And obviously the stand for the monitor and the wheels were some sick joke.

Computers though are definitely great value if you aren't planning on gaming on it.

Even with a $400 off sale right now at bestbuy the macbook pro 14 inch with 16GB ram, 512GB SSD is still about $300 more than a windows laptop with the same specs. Apple is nuts with there pricing on there laptops.

Still not big enough of a gap to think that you bought something that other people cannot afford. That's why Apple products are only overpriced, they're not premium or unaffordable. Which is why it takes a poor person like Trazyn the Infinite Trazyn the Infinite to look down on others for not buying something anyone could fit on their credit card.

And so purchasing a PC that runs MacOS over Windows does not come down to price, but instead peer pressure and/or a need to look down on people who actually made smarter decisions. If the purchase does come down to OS vs OS, then the only reason to choose Mac is because the person in question is not a power user that makes full use of the OS, but rather they want a simple minded experience (why boomers love it).

dr_octagon

Banned
If you don't have a Starbucks near you then you really shouldn't be buying a MacBook.
Write my award winning novel on a peasant Windows machine? Nope.
Judge Judy Do Not Want GIF

Apple would have won the computer operating system market if they decided to liscence mac os to 3rd party manufacturers around when windows 3.1 came out

I understand and agree with you entirely. I am more mocking/laughing at the people who are so ardently angry at Apple for even existing. They act no differently than a console warrior who has to insult the competition because they can't afford the other platform.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Because Steve Jobs needs more identical sweaters. They will need to build a warehouse over his grave soon, but still more sweaters are needed. Who are you to deprive a dead billionaire of his sweaters?

I am by no means an apple fan, I hate their pricing etc but....laptop/imac, I would never go back to PC. All that junk, disc slowdowns, Windows UI, virus alerts left and right, no thanks. I had an iMac for 6 years, never changed anything and it ran like day one. A PC id have to format the HDD at least every 2 years of just how slow everything became with random files cluttering. My iMac boots up just as fast as it did day one, but when I had a PC, you can tell something is slowing everything down. I dont think about antivirus because there almost isnt any need for them on macs. Also the M1 chips are *chef's kiss*. And even 6 years later, I was able to sell my iMac for $1000...almost 50% of original price. They hold value unlike PCs.

You can forget about gaming though but I only use consoles for that anyway. Paying $1000+ for a phone though.....thats some bullshit. But everyone else followed so its same same today. Samsung flagships are in the same price range...hell even my favourite brand One PLUS followed the trend of insane prices. Id say its APPLES fault for that, everyone realized if they can do it, so can we.

Last edited:

Cohetedor

Some people also buy apple because it's all they know. Many schools these days run nothing but apple and have for many years at this point.

Case in point, last Friday I was going through shut down training at work for a new employee, he asked how to shut down the computer, said he had no idea how to shut down a windows PC. My jaw dropped.

Some people also buy apple because it's all they know. Many schools these days run nothing but apple and have for many years at this point.

Case in point, last Friday I was going through shut down training at work for a new employee, he asked how to shut down the computer, said he had no idea how to shut down a windows PC. My jaw dropped.
I know people who think every web browser is named Safari because they have literally never used another browser and aren't aware other browsers exist.

This is me in reverse. Everyone at work uses a Mac and I was raised on Windows so I had to get training on how to use one.

small_law

It's because Steve Jobs figured out that when a product segment with high consumer demand is underserved due to those products having perceived lack of quality or difficulty of use, you can enter with a "superior" product, one that seems better made and easier to use, and charge whatever the fuck you want for it. The demand is already there. So when you enter the product segment to disrupt, you're virtually guaranteed sales as long as the product you enter with is somewhat better than what the market participants already offer.

In other words, he figured out grandmothers and high school football players would buy and use computers as long as they weren't geeky as fuck and were dead simple to use. If that meant limiting the utility that a computer or device should have as standard for the industry, so be it.

Dark Star

Apple makes top tier stuff. You can’t even compare a Dell laptop or whatever to a MacBook. Completely different beast. Unlsss we’re just talking about gaming performance or something. In general Apple offers a DIFFERENT experience compared to other smartphones that run android, or laptops that run windows.

I think they’re worth the $$$ because it’s a good investment. Every cheap windows laptop I’ve had slowed down by a significant margin after 6 months, whereas my MacBook from 2019 still works lightning fast.

gatti-man

I think you're joking, but I was curious how much that would cost:

MacBook Pro 13" = $1300
IPhone 14 Pro = $1000
Apple Watch Ultra = $800

Total = $3100

Oh My God Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
If you’re a professional sometimes it’s worth it. My Apple Watch and phone are pretty indispensable for my management job. But I use them both a shit load. And if my job allowed it I’d swap all my PCs for Apple too. At home though? PC all the way. I only pay for Apple when I need to.

If you’re a professional sometimes it’s worth it. My Apple Watch and phone are pretty indispensable for my management job. But I use them both a shit load. And if my job allowed it I’d swap all my PCs for Apple too. At home though? PC all the way. I only pay for Apple when I need to.
I paid $3k on my MacBook in 2020. Before the M1 released. Feels bad man.
i’m confused.. you see that price as bad? $3100 for all that is amazing.
Not knocking your guys' priorities or how you spend your money.

It's the Apple phone & watch that gave me sticker shock because I bought my current phone and smart watch for a combined $250. Those items I only require the bare minimum. However, I also spent $2.2K on a gaming PC, so all-in, I'm not far off on those 3 items combined.

Different strokes for different folks

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Not knocking your guys' priorities or how you spend your money.

It's the Apple phone & watch that gave me sticker shock because I bought my current phone and smart watch for a combined $250. Those items I only require the bare minimum. However, I also spent $2.2K on a gaming PC, so all-in, I'm not far off on those 3 items combined.

Different strokes for different folks

iPhones are real nice.

I doubt I'll ever have a mac again since they went full appliance and nothing can be upgraded anymore, but after a decade switching between android and iphone well, 2 years ago I decided I'd stay on the iphone side of things.

daveonezero

Banned
I have a 2018 MacBook Air that works as well as the day I bought it except for the battery. And I can swap it out and probably will soon.

It dual boots to Windows 10.
It’s near perfect for what I use it for.

Worth every penny. There was No comparison to other laptops in this form factor.

No other laptop has the screen, speakers or battery that this thing does

And that is not even going over the continuity and other features that you get if you are in the Apple ecosystem.

Market forces.

As much of an Apple hater as I am, I'd probably consider one. I need a new laptop. But I'm a gamerer. When it comes down to it if the choice is between impressing chicks at Starbucks w/ the shiniest newest Apple tech, or playing 165hz Rocket League on the go.... well fuck them bitches, I'm gamin', son!
gamer GIF by Totorial

Last edited:

Ashes

Banned
All this does make me wonder though. In the event of a global recession, I'd expect Apple to falter. And once you're out of the ecosystem, it's harder still for Apple to charge a premium.

peetfeet

Comparing same Specs like processor speed, the amount of memory etc is irrelevant with Apple silicon Macs/MacBooks and intel/amd stuff. An intel/amd laptop with similar specs as a MacBook Air for example would be, and is, left behind in performance comparisons to the apple silicon MacBooks. Add on to that a great display, amazing trackpad and only needing to recharge it every 5 or 6 days with standard use plus the excellent build quality its a no brainer. Traditional laptops at that 'spec' may be cheaper but they're vastly inferior in performance in actual use. I can edit 4k video for 5-6 hours and still have enough juice to watch some Netflix afterwards on my base MacBook Air on battery power alone, show me a laptop that can do that for £/$1k. .

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
Hey original forum post creator here. I gotta tell ya the truth. My Dell PC even with Intel core i7 12700 12 cores, 16GB ram, 512GB SSD, it froze over 20 times on me! Every single time I hit finish at 1080p MP4 it froze and it didn't matter if I had a 2, 5, or 8 minute video, it always froze on me! Imovie on Mac has never once ever froze on me! Proof that Macs are better. It's true, I've had the imac M1 before and make video in iMovie in 1 minute. Windows 11 photo video maker and clipchamp take 6 to 8 minutes and they always freeze on me while processing!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They have different values that many people appreciate. Personally I dont like what they do. And I resent what came forth as a result of the App Store. Só, Apple isnt really my thing. But I can understand the value.

Cyberpunkd

In the event of a global recession, I'd expect Apple to falter.
It won’t, Apple cultivated a clientele that is much less price sensitive than the PC crowd. For all intents and purposes it’s a luxury good, and they do great in a recession (Swiss watch exports just hit a record high).

Last edited:
They have different values that many people appreciate. Personally I dont like what they do. And I resent what came forth as a result of the App Store. Só, Apple isnt really my thing. But I can understand the value.

App stores existed long before Apple produced its first phone. Nor did they promote/push shitty design and MTX fueled greed. Unless you mean something else entirely.

daveonezero

Banned
Comparing same Specs like processor speed, the amount of memory etc is irrelevant with Apple silicon Macs/MacBooks and intel/amd stuff. An intel/amd laptop with similar specs as a MacBook Air for example would be, and is, left behind in performance comparisons to the apple silicon MacBooks. Add on to that a great display, amazing trackpad and only needing to recharge it every 5 or 6 days with standard use plus the excellent build quality its a no brainer. Traditional laptops at that 'spec' may be cheaper but they're vastly inferior in performance in actual use. I can edit 4k video for 5-6 hours and still have enough juice to watch some Netflix afterwards on my base MacBook Air on battery power alone, show me a laptop that can do that for £/$1k. .
Pretty much. If you go to premium build and screen laptops they are usually comparable price as the Apple. Axis Zephyrus or Razera. Etc etc.

Yes you can buy a higher spec in with cheap components but it will be a plastic pos with a 1080p screen, bad Track pad and flexible keyboard.

Compare similar materials and it’s pretty even.

These thread never really get to the nuance though.

Top Bottom