• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are Apple computers so expensive/overpriced?

gundalf

If you’re complaining about the price of apple stuff, then it’s not made for you. Apple stuff is for productive people, if you’re producing stuff, then the cost isn’t a matter.

Yep pretty much this, I use mine professionally and the price is irrelevant for what I get out of it.

BUT

I think the iPad Air and MacBook Air M1 have amazing value for what you get.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Because Apple is not a tech company, it's a fashion company targeting pretentious hipsters and idiots that want to show off their expensive piece of plastic. It's the reason why Apple has such a gargantuan marketing budget, like all fashion companies its reputation isn't organic at all and was manufactured through billions upon billions of spending in marketing bullshit and brainwashing. I bet at least 95% of Apple users have no idea what they're buying spec-wise, they know the bullshit marketing terms at best, how big the hdd is and that's it.
Found the guy who makes the group texts turn green

Marketing and brand loyalty is one hell of a thing. But afaik USA/Japan is where they are strongest. It's their bubble. The rest of the world have not been brainwashed.

Kadve

Because Steve originally marketed them as an easy-to-use, high power alternative for PC's which tendered to be quite underpowered and with downright incomprehensibly software at times. Even without that advantage their reputation as "Better than PC's" remains and Apple can price them accordingly as they don't really have any competition in that market.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Because their fans will pay it?
You know you could ask the same question about Nintendo.
Both sell products that are overpriced for what they are and both are in their own little bubble when it comes to the market.
but fan's will always point to quality although looking at them you'll probably disagree as they seem just... decent.
There limited nature is minus to you but a bonus to them.
I can list loads of reasons why but it's a dead horse not worth the effort.

Trunx81

Yeah I have read a few other posts on other forum websites like this one that that new Macbook Pros with M1, M1 Max, and the M1 Ultra do the same. They work for a year or so and than break down. Either it's just needs a new battery, or the inside parts are screwed up and need a big apple charge for them to fix it in there store. I also read another person saying I don't even run much applications yet my Macbook pro is already getting slow as hell. She had over 20 replies and she said she tried all of there help and the macbook pro is still going slow for no reason.
And here I am, still using my MacBook from late 2008 with an up-to-date (though patched) OS. Actually don’t know how the quality is nowadays, but back in the day, I bought apple because I knew I get more for the money on the long run. Every windows PC died after a few years, but this little fucker here just refuses to let go. Sure he’s not useful for video or foto editing, but for web and office I don’t need anything else.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's pretty good and you also OWN the device and SW, it's not SAAS type of shit.
which meh

But also power of Unix, with good Ui.

Posted from my M1 MacBook - aka device which I sometimes use

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Apple computers being expensive is a corporate decision, schools and colleges possess apple computers.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Because Apple is not a tech company, it's a fashion company targeting pretentious hipsters and idiots that want to show off their expensive piece of plastic. It's the reason why Apple has such a gargantuan marketing budget, like all fashion companies its reputation isn't organic at all and was manufactured through billions upon billions of spending in marketing bullshit and brainwashing. I bet at least 95% of Apple users have no idea what they're buying spec-wise, they know the bullshit marketing terms at best, how big the hdd is and that's it.
and there’s the salty one, alway some in every thread.

Apples done an amazing job of creating a unified ecosystem of devices. the M1 and its iterations are a resounding success. They do a great job of taking concepts that have been started by others but never fully fleshed out or spun with quality, and making them into an intigrated part of their whole ecosystem.

Are they over priced? In the past yes, today though i’d say not really, the m1 macbooks are pretty much the best laptops you can buy, and their products hold value better than comparable Pc.

i’m still a PC gamer at heart, but my entire professional workflow is done through my mac based systems.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Ever since I was a kid, PCs were a never ending headache for me, just one fucking problem after another. I got a Mac in 2015 and I haven't had one single issue with it, and I'm not even exaggerating.

After that I never looked back.

I still have that Mac btw, and I use it regularly (posting with it right now). It's a 2010 and it runs like a champ.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Why anyone would pay *more* for *less* freedom and power is truly beyond me.

I guess there's a reason advertising is so pervasive in society. "Don't worry, we'll tell you how to think. Just tune in and leave it all to us."
Why would someone pay for the cheapest shit all the time knowing it has the largest profit margins is truly beyond me.

Fbh

I don't use or like Apple products, but I don't really think they are overpriced.
I think the difference is that unlike other tech companies Apple only does premium stuff, so their products are expensive by default.

You can find comparable Windows laptops and Android phones, but if you want the same premium materials, build quality and overall feel you'll pay about the same as you do for an Apple product. It's not like Samsung galaxy "S", a Dell XPS or a ThinkPad X1 Carbon are notoriously cheaper than Apple products

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Because the market supports it.
I mean that’s basically it, isn’t it?

How does Nintendo get away with selling hardware for $300 that’s well over half a decade old at this point? Because it’s a product people want, and they want to get paid. Good for them; they made it, just like Apple made products people want.

I’ve never bothered to learn MacOS but you gotta be shitting me if you think Android is better than iOS. I can’t ever get my desktop PC to print over my wifi but somehow my fucking phone does it no problem every time I need a coloring book picture of a mouse eating cheese for my kid printed off.

Here too but the only reason for it is that most people can't afford iphones so it is not like android is dominant because people actually want to buy them.
I dunno. At lot of Mexican tech tuber and their community love Xiaomi especially the Poco X3 pro. For example. So far this brand has been offering the best value for money.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It's 100% the user experience/software. Apple's hardware is good, but their user experience is 2nd to none. And this is coming from somone who uses Android/Windows. It wasn't until I used a Mac for work that I realized this.
Eh, not really. The problem is precisely this - either you’re 100% into the Apple ecosystem, which means you adapted your user habits around their products and not vice versa, or you’ll often run into fences, and good luck finding alternative ways of doing stuff.
There’s a lot of software I use on Windows that’s also completely free. If (big if there) there’s a Mac equivalent, it’s either underdeveloped, or I have to pay for it. I mean, I had to buy a program to allow my Mac to read/write on NTFS-formatted HDDs. The simplest things, like a music player that allows for some customization, become a problem on Mac. The fabled Apple “user experience” requires every link of the chain to be Apple-made, and don’t tell me you never had to change your habits to fit the precise way Apple wanted you to use their stuff.

VN1X

Banned
I just did a big comparison of price per part on bestbuy and you can buy a similar or much better PC for $200 to $500 less than a Mac computer! I compared macbook pros to laptop PCs, and I also did Mac Mini vs PC as well as iMac vs PC all in ones. On the PC side you get the same amount of CPU cores 8, you get more ram 12 or 16GB, and you get more SSD space 512GB to 1TB and it's still like $300 less! So you get the same amount of CPU cores, more ram, more SSD space, and it's anything from $500 to $200 less! OMG I can't believe I didn't see this until now! And even more you don't get any USB-A 3.0 on Macs anymore other than the Mac Mini M1. So you have to buy these stupid USB-C to USB-A adapters for the iMac and macbooks! Apple over charges as you get way less and pay more. With PC your pay less and get more! OMFG! Why didn't I see this before?
Hustling Dave Chappelle GIF

Ballthyrm

If you’re complaining about the price of apple stuff, then it’s not made for you. Apple stuff is for productive people, if you’re producing stuff, then the cost isn’t a matter.
Ah yes, everyone knows all our favorites video games have been produced on Macs.
Truly the benchmark for videogame production.

Bingo. It might be a shock to people here, but truly productive people know what to do and what not to do.

What not to do?
Do endless benchmarks on dozens of components because you masturbate to tech specs.

What to do?
Buy a device that is nice, reliable, integrates with your other devices.

One and done, on to doing work.

Or you can have someone else to do it for you, that's what rich people do.
They don't even take the decision, they let someone else whose time is less valuable than theirs do it for them.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Honestly, I know I am in a geek den and all that, but listen:

Normies use computers too. The computation revolution has touched everyone and honestly I don’t think normies want to or should look at benchmarks, peek at cpu spec sheets and all that. I love it, you love it, it’s a hobby of ours but it’s not a hobby of them.

And one thing apple does very well is cleanly expressing performance differences so normies can pick something that suits them without having to consult “that geek friend/family”. People look at apples computer lineup and they can tell you which one is more performant, the m1 or the m1 max.

MacOS is not even close to being more productive than Windows. Especially considering how much you can automate tasks on Windows and the compatibility of open source programs e.g. NETworkManager by BornToBeRoot

Apple products are for simple people who don't want to learn or don't have the capability to get better use of their OS. It's why all the boomers use it and have no issues getting around it.

Last edited:

Konnor

Honestly, I know I am in a geek den and all that, but listen:

Normies use computers too. The computation revolution has touched everyone and honestly I don’t think normies want to or should look at benchmarks, peek at cpu spec sheets and all that. I love it, you love it, it’s a hobby of ours but it’s not a hobby of them.

And one thing apple does very well is cleanly expressing performance differences so normies can pick something that suits them without having to consult “that geek friend/family”. People look at apples computer lineup and they can tell you which one is more performant, the m1 or the m1 max.

I don't care about cars, I never was a car enthusiast and never saw the point of using cars as a hobby. Yet when I decided to buy one I did my own research, I asked friends who knew about cars and decided based on all that. I do the same with every purchase because the time spent doing this saves you a ridiculous amount of money, time and frustration.

Being a normie is not an excuse for being a gullible idiot that gets easily manipulated by marketing, in this very thread there are people copy-pasting Apple's marketing bulshit about productivity and walled gardens or some shit, these people are affecting us too since due to their stupidity corporations become more brazen and screw the consumers more and more. Apple has been the leader of disgusting anti-consumer practices that other corporations eventually copy for fucking years now, this monstrosity wouldn't exist without idiots supporting it.

Last edited:

lachesis

I've been working on Mac platform - Power PC, G series, Intel Mac Pro series.... for past 25+ years - so at this point.. I don't even think much about it. I run Windows at home though.

Having said so, I like Apple laptops - and if anyone wants to buy a laptop, I usually recommend entry level MBP with RAM upgrade. (Which I think is best value)
I wouldn't buy a Mac pro myself. Too expensive. I'll let my company provide that shit to me - but at home I'd settle with Mac Mini with little bit of RAM upgrade and that's it.

Phone wise... used to be a Samsung man since Galaxy S2, but literally burned with Note 7, and moved onto iPhone 7 - which I'm still using it to this day.
It's been like 6+ years since its release - and very happy with the support. It seems much longer than Android's support by many manufacturers.

So yeah - "some" things are too expensive - but some things aren't. In fact, if you consider the longevity of support and their robust ecosystem - I don't think it's "that" overpriced.... but being a cheap ass old man, everything is overpriced anyways!

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't care about cars, I never was a car enthusiast and never saw the point of using cars as a hobby. Yet when I decided to buy a car I did my own research, I asked friends who knew about cars and decided based on all that. I do the same with every purchase because the time spent doing this saves you a ridiculous amount of money, time and frustration.

Being a normie is not an excuse for being a gullible idiot that gets easily manipulated by marketing, in this very thread there are people copy-pasting Apple's marketing bulshit about productivity and walled gardens or some shit, these people are affecting us too since due to their stupidity corporations become more brazen and screw the consumers more and more. Apple has been the leader of disgusting anti-consumer practices that other corporations eventually copy for fucking years now, this monstrosity wouldn't exist without idiots supporting it.

You keep making the mistake of thinking that people who buy apple are gullible idiots chasing a fashionable brand, and they aren't.

lukilladog

It´s a psychological tribal thing which apple has managed to exploit, most people doesn´t really need an apple product but it´s cool to be in the "club", not necessarily an elitist thing, read some of the answers here, they are the ones making the smart choice just because they can think of other product of lower quality or less features, nothing but tremendoulsy biased thinking.

It´s a psychological tribal thing which apple has managed to exploit, most people doesn´t really need an apple product but it´s cool to be in the "club", not necessarily an elitist thing, read some of the answers here, they are the ones making the smart choice just because they can think of other product of lower quality or less features, nothing but tremendoulsy biased thinking.
There is nothing cool about a smartphone. It is a tool.

And they work, and for a very long time.

Top Bottom