• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are Japanese game names so strange?

feynoob

Gold Member
Because it's too edgy and too fantasy.
One of the reasons why I hate current anime and manga.

I prefer Chinese and Korean manga these days. Cultivation and power fantasy with suffering is my interest nowadays. Plus the story is fun and better than "those beauty will fall for a frail like me fantasy".

T4keD0wN

I think its a translation thing.
When i try to translate a game name from english into my language they also end up weird as hell or make no sense at all.

For example: when i try to translate "Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt" into my language it sounds like an adult game.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
We ask about game names when stuff like this exists over there?

JnFPYPf.gif

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm studying Japanese, and I've found that there are a surprising number of things that just... don't translate cleanly. I've also found that Japanese companies like to put seemingly random English words and phrases on things to look/sound cool, and these are usually laughably bad for people who actually know English. I would assume that game names are no different.

Engrish-in-Japan-9-Yamaguchi-Universoty.jpg

"Be offensive"

More-Funny-Japanese-English-Too-2a.jpg

More-Funny-Japanese-English-Too-2.jpg

Homo Sausage

Felessan

I saw the trailer yesterday for Forspoken: In Tanta We Trust and thought to myself again. Why are the Japanese games names so often completely stupid? It's like they just string together random words that sound cool to them.
This is a pun based on the another pun. Tanta probably a character from Forspoken that replaced Santa.

Fukushuu o Koinegau Saikyou Yuusha wa, Yami no Chikara de Senmetsu Musou Suru​

Translates to this
The Hero Who Seeks Revenge Shall Exterminate With Darkness; The strongest brave who craves for revenge, extinguish with the power of darkness
This has nothing to do with video game names - and there is a reason why some novel named weird.
Basically the most prominent website to selfpublish newbie novel writers dosn't really support extensive description, so your only way to gather attention and readers is to put description into name. And from there it will be passed through to side media (like light novel and games based on novel etc).
Established authors and IP originated from games doesn't really need this.

Holammer

The thing OP mentions is within normal parameters. There is a silly trend where novels (that often get adapted into anime & manga) written for younger audiences have long descriptive names, sometimes without Kanji so they look like Welsh village names.

No more short and sweet titles like Appleseed or Tenchi Muyo.

Fuz

Banned
Chinese names are worse. They take two english words that sound remotely fantasy and put them together in an awkward manner.
Case in point, "Blade and Soul"... and many other that I struggle to remember just because how generic they are.

But yeah, cultural differences. Also Japan is weird.

Fuz

Banned
I need to tag Pejo Pejo here 'cause I know he loves them.
I think its a translation thing.
When i try to translate a game name from english into my language they also end up weird as hell or make no sense at all.

For example: when i try to translate "Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt" into my language it sounds like an adult game.
What's your language?
Square Enix is specially bad with names, they have some of the cringest names for games ever, like "Various Life" or whatever it's called
ylj2cklfquf01.jpg

This fucking hack.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You make it sound like western games are any better with their namings?

Some of the most played games right now:

Fortnite - Spelt like that
Rainbow Six Siege - Thats just 3 random words put together.
Roblox - what?
Defense of the Ancients
Unturned
Halo Infinite
DayZ
Minecraft
Player Unknowns Battlegrounds
Red Dead Redemption

I mean they arent Infinite Undiscovery but they arent gonna be winning any Pulitzer prizes.

Drizzlehell

Banned
You should check out some of the song titles from death metal band Nile. Here's one of them:

Chapter of Obeisance Before Giving Breath to the Inert One in the Presence of the Crescent Shaped Horns

Tams

I'm studying Japanese, and I've found that there are a surprising number of things that just... don't translate cleanly. I've also found that Japanese companies like to put seemingly random English words and phrases on things to look/sound cool, and these are usually laughably bad for people who actually know English. I would assume that game names are no different.

Engrish-in-Japan-9-Yamaguchi-Universoty.jpg

"Be offensive"

Lol, 山口大学 (Yamaguchi University). That doesn't surprise me at all. I knew some people who went there.

In fact, some of my old students are probably attending there right now... oops.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
You make it sound like western games are any better with their namings?

Some of the most played games right now:

Fortnite - Spelt like that
Rainbow Six Siege - Thats just 3 random words put together.
Roblox - what?
Defense of the Ancients
Unturned
Halo Infinite
DayZ
Minecraft
Player Unknowns Battlegrounds
Red Dead Redemption

I mean they arent Infinite Undiscovery but they arent gonna be winning any Pulitzer prizes.
Sure, there are also strange game names in the West, but by far not so common. And isn't Player Unknown's Battlegrounds a game from Korea?

nial

Gold Member
I love the Japanese titles of the Gravity Rush games.
Gravitational Dizziness: The Perturbation of Her Inner Space Caused by the Repatriation of the Upper Stratum

Gravitational Dizziness Final Chapter: The End of the Repatriation of the Upper Stratum, Choices That Converged Her Inner Space

Nok Su Kow

250px-Natsuiro_High_School.png

Are you telling me

"Summertime High School: A Young Man’s Notes—How a New Exchange Student Like Myself Ran Into His Childhood Friend On The School Tour, Then For Some Reason Became Super-Popular With The Girls For His Daily Scoops On The School Photography Club Even Though He Only Takes Panty Shots, And What He Thinks As He Goes On Dates During His Summer Of Island School Life."

doesn't just roll of the tongue?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Nothing strange about it. They just sound funny to us gaijin normies because of our reductionist top-down way of thinking in the west. Damage your brain expand your mind with anime and manga then pretty soon it’ll sound natural to you.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Forspoken: In Tanta We Trust
lol, a lot of weird names out there, this is one of the least weird.

In Tanta We Trust sounds like "In God We Trust" or any other "In <thing> We trust". It's just here <thing> = Tanta.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Sure, there are also strange game names in the West, but by far not so common. And isn't Player Unknown's Battlegrounds a game from Korea?
The person Brendan Green aka PlayerUnknown is from Ireland.

MayauMiao

I saw the trailer yesterday for Forspoken: In Tanta We Trust and thought to myself again. Why are the Japanese games names so often completely stupid? It's like they just string together random words that sound cool to them.
Oh man, try read some of the mangas.

The Forspoken title is nothing compared to the manga titles I read.

"Turns Out My Dick Was a Cute Girl"

Yes, that's an actual title.

Filben

Not as bad as mobile market:

"US Spider Police Stickman Rope Hero Strange Vegas"
"Spider Rope Hero Man: Crime Ciy Gangster Vegas"

Okay, these a real rip off trash games that probably nuke your phone after sending all data to Russian or Chinese companies.

On serious note on Japanese games: It's a cultural thing. From Western perspective everything is weird over there, their mangas, games, TV shows. But just try to see it from their perspective when people here watch these horrible Hot Island something something shows. Or name their video games Fortnite or Destiny. A single word that doesn't tell your anything about the game.

Top Bottom