• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Third Strike the end of Street Fighter's story?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Literally all that DryEyeRelief does in FGC threads is troll. I actually don't think I've seen him do anything else on GAF. Good job taking the bait, everyone.

This thread seems to be packed with people who didn't play SFV and have some weirdly hard opinions on all this.

SFV is all about SF3 connections. They aren't shying away from it at all. Fall of Shadoloo, rise of the Illuminati is exactly where SFV sits. New and returning characters alike with lots of SF3 hooks. Story mode that straight up ends with
a Gill reveal
and Helen is revealed to be Kolin.

SF4 had to happen as it did but it was basically Alpha 4, way more about getting all the returning favorites in. SFV is very much part of the same continuity as the other mainline games with no caveats at all.

Why are people even talking about SF3 being retconned in here? So much fanservice for SF3 fans in V.

Are you surprised that GAF loves to talk about SF5 but not play it?

Fun fact: Not only does SF5 bridge the gap between SF2 and SF3, but the final battle BGM bridges the gap between Ryu's SF2 and SF3 themes. You probably won't notice it in game though because the fight ends too quickly.

I think it's more that the roster is hamstrung by the timeline rather than anyone (most) caring about the story.

It's the reverse: the timeline is hamstrung by the roster.

Fighting games tend to get a lot of pushback from fans if the popular characters from previous installments don't return. So, you'll see a lot of the same faces return time and time again, hardly anyone dies, and even those who do can be brought back. As a result, the motives and relationships between the characters don't often advance forward in any meaningful, permanent capacity, and both the roster and the story itself tend to stagnate quite a bit.

SF4 and SF5 occupy the space between SF2 and SF3 because that gives the most canonically consistent access to the entire roster.

When people say SF3 sales flopped, do they mean arcade sales? SF3 released in arcade in 1997. It was a Dreamcast console exclusive for 4 years after releasing in 2000. 3 of those exclusive years were after Sega killed the thing. Even if the game was an arcade hit that would be a tough situation to have a successful console port in.

It definitely flopped in the arcade.

It was supposed to be the flagship title for Capcom's CPS3 arcade board, but it was such a non-starter that they actually went ahead and made another entry in the Street Fighter Alpha series after SF3's release just to continue supporting their far more successful CPS2 board.

Lulubop

Literally all that DryEyeRelief does in FGC threads is troll. I actually don't think I've seen him do anything else on GAF. Good job taking the bait, everyone.

Are you surprised that GAF loves to talk about SF5 but not play it?

Fun fact: Not only does SF5 bridge the gap between SF2 and SF3, but the final battle BGM bridges the gap between Ryu's SF2 and SF3 themes. You probably won't notice it in game though because the fight ends too quickly.

It's the reverse: the timeline is hamstrung by the roster.

Fighting games tend to get a lot of pushback from fans if the popular characters from previous installments don't return. So, you'll see a lot of the same faces return time and time again, hardly anyone dies, and even those who do can be brought back. As a result, the motives and relationships between the characters don't often advance forward in any meaningful, permanent capacity, and both the roster and the story itself tend to stagnate quite a bit.

SF4 and SF5 occupy the space between SF2 and SF3 because that gives the most canonically consistent access to the entire roster.

It definitely flopped in the arcade.

It was supposed to be the flagship title for Capcom's CPS3 arcade board, but it was such a non-starter that they actually went ahead and made another entry in the Street Fighter Alpha series after SF3's release just to continue supporting their far more successful CPS2 board.

Holy fuck

Shadoken

L

See this is the part that doesnt make sense. You dont actively need the character Alive in the story for them to be Playable in the Roster.

For example Gen could have stayed dead. But he could be playable because he appears in some Akuma Flashback fight. They dont need to actually bring back the dead character.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Because they look terrible. It literally looks like what I came up with in junior high when I was trying to envision a gritty sequel to SF3 (this was before SF4) and what Ryu and Bison would look like older.
Says you, I would play the hell out of a game with those designs

Skilletor

See this is the part that doesnt make sense. You dont actively need the character Alive in the story for them to be Playable in the Roster.

For example Gen could have stayed dead. But he could be playable because he appears in some Akuma Flashback fight. They dont need to actually bring back the dead character.

This is what DoA does. Ein (and Leon, I think), haven't been relevant in the story for awhile, but they're still playable.

atr0cious

Adding a Zombie character to the Street Fighter franchise? NO THAT'S RIDICULOUS I WON'T EVEN ENTERTAIN IT!
Sarcasm, I'm guessing. But I'm not saying a zombie design, but something visually different other than changing a couple things and renaming them as evil versions. Maybe Gouken is a vengeful spirit who reanimates as something? Complete the circle, cut off on of Dalsim's and turn him into Oro. Bring back Q. Give Ken a Vegeta style balding pattern.

Lulubop

Sarcasm, I'm guessing. But I'm not saying a zombie design, but something visually different other than changing a couple things and renaming them as evil versions. Maybe Gouken is a vengeful spirit who reanimates as something? Complete the circle, cut off on of Dalsim's and turn him into Oro. Bring back Q.

Nash is pretty much a zombie is SFV

Sarcasm, I'm guessing. But I'm not saying a zombie design, but something visually different other than changing a couple things and renaming them as evil versions. Maybe Gouken is a vengeful spirit who reanimates as something? Complete the circle, cut off on of Dalsim's and turn him into Oro. Bring back Q. Give Ken a Vegeta style balding pattern.

They added a Zombie/Frankenstein character to Street Fighter V using an "old" character.

sf5_nash_big.jpg

atr0cious

Nash is pretty much a zombie is SFV
I keep mistaking him for a cyborg, his posture and animation follow through are good tells though. I'm excited for the new characters too, I feel Capcom is slowly trying out new stuff. Ed's red Bison variant is dope, though I want them to get away from side characters and bring in new characters not related to either side. Or bring back E Honda merged with Q or whatever.

Top Bottom