• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why won't XP install to my system?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattx5

FUCK!

I got a new PC, but I wanted to install XP on my old PC too, a 450 mhz, 128 ram with a Riva TNT2 card.

It gets to the part in the setup where it has to reboot my PC so it can go to the part of the setup which features the Windows GUI. After it reboots, I leave the CD in, don't press any keys and let it load. Just like I'm supposed to do.

But instead of loading the next part of setup, I get some fucking orange squares and weird glitches on the screen (The black screen, the white letters like usual, but there's squares and circles covering some of the characters).

This fucked up glitch happens every time I try the install.

What could be wrong? Could it be that XP doesn't have the right driver for my video card? If so, that's bullshit!

What can I do GAF? :(

mattx5

Should I install an older version of Windows? I used to be running Win 98.

What are the sys reqs for XP anyways?

Edit -

Minimums:

CPU 300 MHz (single CPU for Home edition, Single or dual for Professional edition)
RAM 128 MB
Disk Space 1.5 GB free
Video Card Super VGA (800x600)
Media CD-ROM or DVD

Applying the official Ludens Reality Adjustment,™ however, yields the following minimums:

CPU 600 MHz (single CPU for Home edition, Single or dual for Professional edition)
RAM 256 MB
Disk Space 15 GB free
Video Card 1024x768

FUCK ME :(

neptunes

you're pc is fine

xp only runs like shit if you have less than 128mb of ram. (all those background tasks)

the minimum ram requirement is 64mb.

neptunes

are you doing the upgrade or new installation?

if so then try doing a clean/fresh installation with a bootable windows xp disc.

mattx5

I'm doing a fresh install because my registry crashed on me last week (Though I know my HD is still ok). I formatted my entire drive, I used the floppy boot discs first, though those got some error saying it was missing a .sp1 file, so instead I made it boot from the CD, which worked fine up until the big glitch.

Is there anywhere to check whether my video card is compatible with XP or not, because I don't know what else it could be?

One of the components of your old PC is conflicting with the XP install. Driver for it is probably not updated for XP, nor the manufacturer ever intends to because it's stinky cheese old.

You could try to isolate which component it is and then replace it with a more updated one that is XP compatible, or, you could just take the easy way out and install Win 2000. Usually installs when XP does not.

XP can run fine on a 450... i installed it on a 400 celeron with 192MB RAM for a friend of friend... as long as you turn off the transparency stuff, animated menus and disable unneeded services, it runs great...

Diablos

The Faceless Master said:
XP can run fine on a 450... i installed it on a 400 celeron with 192MB RAM for a friend of friend... as long as you turn off the transparency stuff, animated menus and disable unneeded services, it runs great...

Speak for yourself.

Tekky

mattx5 said:
What can I do GAF? :(

You can do what anyone can do. Change something and try it again.

Since you've got a problem with video, try swapping the vid card and trying again.

Once you get it working, you can try swapping the vid card back in and seeing if it still gives you problems.

You can get an old video card for virtually free if you look around enough. Though I'd try for something fairly common, rather than anything exotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom