• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Sony’s output pick back up next year?

GymWolf

I don't think so unless you care about pretentious stranding 2.

Wolverine and factions 2 could be the other 2 big but after seeing spiderman 2 and tlou part 1 my hype for both is diminshed.

That korean bloodborne sekiro is probably vaporware.

Still waiting for sucker punch, bluepoint, bend, nd, santa monica etc. To show something that i can get hyped for.

Thank god the third parties are not sleeping like sony.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
A depressing statement? 2 big exclusives each year is pretty much the norm. Some years you would get 3…

The post I replied to said they will include tent pole third party exclusives in the 2. So in some years Sony’s first party will only put out 1 game? How is that the norm for Sony?

I don’t understand how people can have expectations beyond that. What world do y’all live in?
Just a world where 1 or even 2 first party games a year don’t justify a console purchase when everything is coming to PC now.

Imagine being Xbox exclusive. They’d kill for Sonys output.
A. I care about ND, SM, GG and couldn’t give a toss about Xbox. I’ll hold Sony to their own standard.

B. I disagree with your assertion because no matter how shit some of Xbox’s games are, their output is normally better than 1 or 2 games a year (last year being an outlier).

C. You could equally flip it and say look at Nintendo releasing Metroid Prime Remastered, TotK, Pikmin 4, Beyonetta Origins and Advanced Wars this year and that’s not including their crap b-tier stuff like Fire Emblem Engage, Kirby’s Return to Dream Land and Pikmin 1&2 HD. I’m fed up of people excusing Sony’s ridiculous self inflicted bloated development cycle.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
C. You could equally flip it and say look at Nintendo releasing Metroid Prime Remastered, TotK, Pikmin 4, Beyonetta Origins and Advanced Wars this year and that’s not including their crap b-tier stuff like Fire Emblem Engage, Kirby’s Return to Dream Land and Pikmin 1&2 HD. I’m fed up of people excusing Sony’s ridiculous self inflicted bloated development cycle.
And Wario Ware, Super Mario RPG, Mario Wonder, probably a couple others. 1-2 Switch Horse Edition.

AA games have been the obvious solution since the Wii. People still don't ever want to hear it.

vivftp

The post I replied to said they will include tent pole third party exclusives in the 2. So in some years Sony’s first party will only put out 1 game? How is that the norm for Sony?

That post was wrong. It's 2 or more major titles a year from first party, it does not include third party exclusives

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
2024: Death Stranding 2, Marathon, Concord, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade
2025: Wolverine, Fairgame$, Twisted Metal, Ghost of Tsushima 2
2026: SSM new IP, TLoU 3

Just guessing. They probably have a lot of stuff in the works we haven't heard of.
If Wolverine is a 2025 title, and them teasing Venom as possibly being playable in 2, I would not even be mad if Insomniac did a Miles Morales type smaller game for 2024 where you use just Venom with Carnage making an appearance in it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If Wolverine is a 2025 title, and them teasing Venom as possibly being playable in 2, I would not even be mad if Insomniac did a Miles Morales type smaller game for 2024 where you use just Venom with Carnage making an appearance in it.
It would be getting close to oversaturation honestly, but a standalone Venom game would be super popular.

Fbh

Yes but probably only if you care about their GaaS crap.

I don't expect more than 1-2 big single player games a year from them moving forward.

This year worked out for them because third parties have been pretty solid (Hogwarts, RE4, Diablo 4, etc). Time will tell how reaction will be on a slower year

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It would be getting close to oversaturation honestly, but a standalone Venom game would be super popular.
I can see that. For me personally, I still have yet to play Spider-Man Remake and MM that I have in my PS5 backlog, lol. So I don't feel the "burnout" due to that, but I can see others would, unless your a hardcore fan which there are a lot of for Spider-Man. So it would make me just skip them all (if I have yet to get to them) and dive right into Venom, lol.

Topher

Gold Member
That is one absolutely depressing statement.

Agree with the sentiment someone else expressed, it’s completely pointless owning a PS5 or Xbox now.

Honestly, I've been downsizing. Not as much you, Mr. Minimalist, but I've sold my Steam Deck and am in the process of selling my XSX and moving to PC Game Pass. There is just so much redundancy in gaming these days. Keeping PS5, Switch and PC. Just not much point in having all these systems anymore.

Vox Machina

Banned
Yes, the pandemic delays are a factor.

In addition to Spider-Man2, 2023 also saw/will see Sony release:

Destiny 2 Lightfall
Horizon Call of the Mountain
Helldivers 2
Firewall Ultra
MLB23 (as you noted)

They're also publishing Stellar Blade, assuming it's still releasing this year.

Wait Helldivers 2 is coming out this year? That is fantastic news. For some reason I thought that one was further out. Had a blast playing the first one with buddies.

bender

What time is it?
I for one would welcome the return of Konami to the mainstream with PS5 exclusives.

Konami never left.

454A1C8EA678100A2595294B56E2D073D51496E6

Fredrik

Baldur’s Gate 3 comes out soon, something for the turn-based fans, Fextralife thought it would be the GOTY. Not 1st party but on console it’s a PS5 exclusive until they can sort out the Series S problems.

danklord

Gold Member
Suicide Squad seemed to have a lot of Sony promo before it was delayed, I think that messed up their plans for the Spring. Thankfully FF16 was able to save the day. Definitely expect the output to ramp up after Spiderman 2 which should set a sales record for PS5.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Honestly, I've been downsizing. Not as much you, Mr. Minimalist, but I've sold my Steam Deck and am in the process of selling my XSX and moving to PC Game Pass. There is just so much redundancy in gaming these days. Keeping PS5, Switch and PC. Just not much point in having all these systems anymore.
Glad to hear it.

I’m still striving for that ‘just chair’ zenith.

I strongly agree re redundancy. I think you’ve chosen to keep a solid selection there.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I think if you are a fan of live service, it may not be as bad, but as a single player gamer, I'm not seeing much on the Horizon (no pun intended). Since they got rid of their lower budget games (Outside Helldivers 2 and Sword of the Sea), there isn't a lot to fill in the gaps. Of course, it will have third party support to also carry it a little, but at that point a PC seems like a better option as you get both PlayStation AND Xbox exclusives. Never thought I'd ever be so lukewarm about Sony, but here we are.

Lupin25

Sony’s output will probably pick back up when Microsoft’s does.

They do this strategically to give their studios the most time possible, but also to offset the competition. Other platforms have a similar output this year, also many 3rd party exclusives and multiplatform games that perform well on PS. They know people won’t care “specifically” about Sony exclusives when there’s so many other games to play.

Armoured Core VI
Baldur’s Gate III, NBA 2K24, FC ‘24
Alan Wake 2, Spider-Man 2
Helldivers 2, CoD 2023 (last year of marketing deal)

The Finals (EA), Tekken 8, Stellar Blade
Silent Hill, Rise of the Ronin, DS2
Fairgame$, Marathon
Wolverine
Still haven’t seen what Bluepoint, Team Astro, Sucker Punch, or SSM have been working on since 2018-2020.

These games will probably perform well on PS whether they’re 3rd party or not. That’s probably all that matters to Sony, but they should show more 1st party for the fans, we know they’re playing the waiting game on that.

Also feels like they’re watching the MS/ABK news closely. Now that their part in that is essentially over, they should have more news of their own to trickle out (starting with Spider-Man 2 yesterday).

Last edited:
Sonys been on a negative path since Ryan took over and I think we're finally about to feel some of the fallout from that in the next couple years.

Sony's apparently not even in the same business of having the best looking games anymore as evidenced by Spiderman 2 having almost no improvement from MM despite being PS5 only. LoU1 Remake looking the same as LoU2 graphically despite being PS5 only.

Sony is in the profit business only now going multiplatform, not taking advantage of PS5's unique hardware because they're making games with the PC in mind. We're 3 years in and still can't point to much that shows off the PS5. The GaaS push also falls in line with this "new" Sony.

And
I think perspective is always a nice thing to have, so I'll paste this post I had made a while back. The list comes from the known/rumored games outlined in the Era PS OT. I hope it'll give you a better idea of what SIE are working on both from first party an XDEV partners:

Orange is confirmed
Blue is rumored/speculated

- TLOU Online - Naughty Dog
- Neil Druckmanns new game - Naughty Dog

- TLOU Part 2 remaster/remake/DC - Naughty Dog
- TLOU Part 3 - Naughty Dog
- New Uncharted game - Naughty Dog possibly in collab with someone else like VASG

- Cory Barlogs new game - Santa Monica Studio
- Ghost of Tsushima sequel - Sucker Punch
- New IP - Bend Studios
- MLB 24 - San Diego Studios
- Spider-Man 2 - Insomniac
- Wolverine - Insomniac
- Multiplayer title - Insomniac
- Project with original content - Bluepoint
- Fairgame$ - Haven
- Concord - Firewalk

- Horizon MP game - Guerrilla
- Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster - Guerrilla

- New Project - Media Molecule
- Live Service Title - London Studios
- New IP - Housemarque

- Twisted Metal - Firesprite
- Dark Narrative Adventure - Firesprite

- 3D Action Game - Asobi
- Destiny 2: The Final Shape - Bungie
- Marathon - Bungie

- New IP - Bungie
- DS2 - KojiPro
- Firewall Ultra - First Contact
- Helldivers 2 - Arrowhead
- Rise of the Ronin - Team Ninja
- Stellar Blade - Shift Up
- KOTOR - Saber
- Lost Soul Aside - Ultizero
- Convallaria - Loong Force

So that's 34 games from the OP, 25 confirmed and 9 rumored. From that confirmed list, 16 titles have had teasers/trailers/images officially shown.

Now the above doesn't include other speculated or rumored projects like games from:

- Ember Lab
- Ballastic Moon
- From Software
- Sumo Digital
- A new game from Savage Game Studios
- Strategy game from Valkyrie
- Project Ooze

So that's a potential list of 41 projects underway from SIE's first party and XDEV. In reality the list could be even larger, but that's at least something for us to start with. For example it's very likely that work is underway on the next God of War game and the next mainline Horizon game, but they're not on the list for now. We also don't know if the Horizon MMORPG that NCSoft are working on is the same as the Horizon MP game that Guerrilla are working on or if it's a separate game entirely.

If we add in third party exclusive titles (timed or otherwise) then we can further include:

FF7 Rebirth
Foamstars
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Now to all xboxgamers in this thread...what are the first party games Xbox has released the last 3 years?...sony has released more first party games then MS, thats a fact.

And to put it this way..what first party MS would MS have this year when they would not have been on a buying spree to buy gamestudios and a $70 billion publisher (Activision Blizzard).
They had the most developers studios, (more then Sony).. Where are does games?

I rest my case...

Last edited:
FFXVI and Spider-Man 2 are both a really big deal and that long silence from those other studios likely means they've been working on some big projects for a while so 2024 could be amazing.

Sony’s output will probably pick back up when Microsoft’s does.

They do this strategically to give their studios the most time possible, but also to offset the competition.

Understood that Sony may feel more pressure to make earlier announcements or force out a few unoptimized games if Xbox was much more competitive, but why not sell the customer on a PS5 right now and stomp on one of your main competitor's throat before they have an opportunity to make a good sales pitch?

Last edited:
If I did not have a huge backlog of games, I would be really disappointed with the last 2 years output, I really don’t understand why we can’t get some smaller AA games to fill gaps between big game s, instead of shitty gas games and low budget indie games.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
According to Jim Ryan, two releases is the intended norm moving forward. Note, this just means exclusives, not necessarily Sony titles - so this year, it was Final Fantasy XVI and Spider-man 2. If we get more than that, terrific - but given their USD$220m price tags, I don't think Sony will in a hurry to drop lots of first party titles in one year. They want to give them big marketing pushes and room to make back that money.
That is one absolutely depressing statement.

Agree with the sentiment someone else expressed, it’s completely pointless owning a PS5 or Xbox now.
It just means two big-budget AAA titles each year, and it's always been that way, with only the exception of 2022 having three, at the expense of 2021 having none (Returnal isn't major). 2018, for example, only had God of War and Spider-Man, but they still released smaller, non-major games that year like Shadow of the Colossus, Detroit Become Human, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Déraciné, and PlayLink stuff.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
The post I replied to said they will include tent pole third party exclusives in the 2.
And the post you replied to was incorrect, try reading the article instead.
Ryan said that PlayStation Studios will utilize their varied first-party portfolio to launch “two or more major releases” per year
The conversation here is about major games, only TOTK applies from that list, unless Nintendo deems a garbage remake like Advance Wars "major", which I really doubt.

Dread Burner

Neo Member
Remove all the timed exclusives, VR bs (infant-stage games), and GAAS, what does Sony have this gen that is EXCLUSIVELY on the ps5?
Demon's Souls Remake
Spider-Man 2

I'd say a couple more names but this gen has been an utter disappointment. People give them the benefit of the doubt but if they can have mid-gen refreshes and other devices in the pipeline during covid, they can sure as hell have some quality exclusives. By the end of their third years, the PS3 and PS4 were bursting with exclusive content.

At this point, the line between exclusivity is extremely blurred. Everything on console comes to PC and the only reason to buy a ps5 is to play the games FAST. Pointless generation. More's to come yes but until that future happens, PS5 is just an over-glorified PS3 with a massive price tag and a library of accessories. Can't believe this is okay but PS3 was unacceptable

Sanepar

No one remember ff7 remake part 2?
I would say thirds will carry ps5 exclusives in 2024: ff7rp2, ds2, sh2 remake, ronin and that is it.

the best reason to buy a PS5 is because you don’t have a high-end PC. But yeah if you do have a decent PC then this console generation can feel pretty superfluous.

I got a PS5 in 2021 and barely ever use it. I’m not super interested in Sony first party except for Gran Turismo 7 which is awesome. Only reason I held on to PS5 this long is to play Final Fantasy XVI at launch, but after seeing how it turned out I would’ve rather waited for the PC version. I might just sell it when I finish FF XVI.
Yea if you aren't into a consoles exclusive from Nintendo or Sony no point in getting that system since Xbox releases all their games on PC.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Don't worry they'll have more sequels to churn out. The only good and new ip game they've released this gen is Returnal.

Is that it? It's the only thing I can think of too, but I was sure there had to be more. Everything else is sequels, remakes and remasters from first party? Don't you guys ever want new IPs?
And

Now to all xboxgamers in this thread...what are the first party games Xbox has released the last 3 years?...sony has released more first party games then MS, thats a fact.

And to put it this way..what first party MS would MS have this year when they would not have been on a buying spree to buy gamestudios and a $70 billion publisher (Activision Blizzard).
They had the most developers studios, (more then Sony).. Where are does games?

I rest my case...
Games owned and published by Xbox no timed exclusives or other BS
Halo Infinite
Forza Horizon 5
Death Loop
Tokyo Ghostwire
Psychonauts
Hi-Fi Rush
Pentiment
Grounded
Redfall
Gears Tactics
Gears 5 Hivebusters
Minecraft Dungeons
Minecraft Legends
Flight Sim
Age of Empires

tommycronin

Banned
Is that it? It's the only thing I can think of too, but I was sure there had to be more. Everything else is sequels, remakes and remasters from first party? Don't you guys ever want new IPs?

Games owned and published by Xbox no timed exclusives or other BS
Halo Infinite
Forza Horizon 5
Death Loop
Tokyo Ghostwire
Psychonauts
Hi-Fi Rush
Pentiment
Grounded
Redfall
Gears Tactics
Gears 5 Hivebusters
Minecraft Dungeons
Minecraft Legends
Flight Sim
Age of Empires
I agree Xbox has a way more diverse 1st party line up compared to Sony since the PS5 launched. The only brand new ip that's only on PS5 which means no PC right now is Destruction All-stars.

But altogether since PS5 launch Returnal is the only new thing they've created for PS5. Everything else has been sequels or remakes which I don't include cause I said a brand new game.If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I agree Xbox has a way more diverse 1st party line up compared to Sony since the PS5 launched. The only brand new ip that's only on PS5 which means no PC right now is Destruction All-stars.

But altogether since PS5 launch Returnal is the only new thing they've created for PS5. Everything else has been sequels or remakes which I don't include cause I said a brand new game.If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

Xbox has 15 games in my list if I didn't forget anything. Seven of those are new and I didn't count the 2 new games in the Gears universe or the 2 new Minecraft games as new games.

Top Bottom