• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Sony’s output pick back up next year?

tommycronin

Banned
Xbox has 15 games in my list if I didn't forget anything. Seven of those are new and I didn't count the 2 new games in the Gears universe or the 2 new Minecraft games as new games.
Regardless of mine or anyone's opinion you cannot look at both Sonys and Microsofts output and think Sony has done a better job. Microsoft has taken way more chances. People's brain switch off when they think about this in their usual tribal way. I don't wanna be fed sequels it doesn't matter how good the sequel is to me that should be an afterthought for wanting games. The reason Returnal was received so well was because we didn't know what we were actually getting in the game.

Every other Sony game we pretty much know what the gameplay experience is going to be like. There is 0 surprise elements and that's what used to make their games so good previously. I don't need to play Spiderman 2 on PS5 to see what Sony has up their sleeve for me.

Last edited:

Oof85

And the post you replied to was incorrect, try reading the article instead.

The conversation here is about major games, only TOTK applies from that list, unless Nintendo deems a garbage remake like Advance Wars "major", which I really doubt.
Remasters?

Probably not but something like Fire Emblem Engage, Pikmin 4 and Super Mario Wonder are likely all major titles, reinforced by smaller releases like said remasters/remakes.

Totk IS the big dog release of the year yes, but it's not the only major one.

nial

Gold Member
Remasters?

Probably not but something like Fire Emblem Engage, Pikmin 4 and Super Mario Wonder are likely all major titles, reinforced by smaller releases like said remasters/remakes.

Totk IS the big dog release of the year yes, but it's not the only major one.
Super Mario Bros. Wonder is indeed a major game, but Fire Emblem Engage and Pikmin 4 aren't titles with much marketing or fanfare going for them. I would put them in the same vein as games like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

Last edited:

Handel

The pipeline ain't looking so hot right now for Sony, need to see what they have for 2024. Maybe the Sony fans can manifest that second showcase out of hopes and dreams.

Who cares about one weaker year? Spider-Man is such a big ip, it almost counts for 2 games and can have Nintendo level attache Rates this year.
If Spider-Man 2 counts for 2 games, Starfield should count for 4:messenger_tears_of_joy:

X-Wing

Speaking strictly about 1st party, This definitely feels like a slower year for PlayStation. We’ve grown pretty acustom to getting multiple first party games from them a year, but 2023 feels like the year they are feeling the effects of covid the hardest.

Their only non mlb first party game this year is spiderman, I think sony also considered burning shores to be a major release for them, but that was dlc. Compared to last year when we had gran turismo, horizon, the last of us part 1, and god of war ragnarok. Even though some of those games were delayed into 2022, In 2021 we still got rereleases of ghosts of Tsushima and Death Stranding, along with returnal and ratchet & clank. 2020 saw the last of us 2, ghosts of Tsushima, spider-man miles morales, and the demons souls remake.

Was the last of us factions intended to be the other 2023 game before that got upended? Just feels like a weirdly slow year for them. Thankfully not as slow as Microsoft was in 2022 when they had absolutely nothing except pentiment .

Fingers crossed that this year was a flub due to covid, and by next year they will be back to their regular release cadence of 2-4 first party games a year

You had multiple releases the two years before because a lot of games were delayed due to the pandemic, accumulating games that ended up releasing close to each other.
I'm fine with one to two first party exclusives a year, I don't have that much time to game. Something like God of War lasts me for months.
I think this is a consequence of increased development cycles for AAA games and that this is one of the reasons Sony is betting on GAAS.
GAAS takes less time to put out and can be monetized continuously.
Either way this week we had gameplay from 3 games, Firewall Ultra, Helldivers 2 and Spider-Man 2.
I'd say their development teams are working as intended.

This year has been incredible for PS5

Dead Space
Hogwarts
Star Wars
RE4
SF
Diablo
Final Fantasy XVI

And Armored Core / Spider-Man 2 to come soon, along with Alan Wake 2

Spider-Man 2 and FF16 being the two big exclusives, which is more than the competition can claim with basically only one big one.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Speaking strictly about 1st party, This definitely feels like a slower year for PlayStation. We’ve grown pretty acustom to getting multiple first party games from them a year, but 2023 feels like the year they are feeling the effects of covid the hardest.

Their only non mlb first party game this year is spiderman, I think sony also considered burning shores to be a major release for them, but that was dlc. Compared to last year when we had gran turismo, horizon, the last of us part 1, and god of war ragnarok. Even though some of those games were delayed into 2022, In 2021 we still got rereleases of ghosts of Tsushima and Death Stranding, along with returnal and ratchet & clank. 2020 saw the last of us 2, ghosts of Tsushima, spider-man miles morales, and the demons souls remake.

Was the last of us factions intended to be the other 2023 game before that got upended? Just feels like a weirdly slow year for them. Thankfully not as slow as Microsoft was in 2022 when they had absolutely nothing except pentiment .

Fingers crossed that this year was a flub due to covid, and by next year they will be back to their regular release cadence of 2-4 first party games a year
So 2023 looks pretty much like this:
  • Firewall Ultra
  • Helldivers II
  • Horizon: Call of the Mountain
  • Horizon: Forbidden West – Burning Shores
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn Remastered?!
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2
  • MLB The Show 23
  • The Last Of Us Part II Remastered?!
While this is what 2024 is expected to look like:
  • Bloodborne Remastered?!
  • Concord
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Horizon Online?!
  • Marathon
  • MLB The Show 24
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Stellar Blade
  • Team Asobi new game?!
To me it wouldn't seem like much of an improvement , given how I have absolutely zero hope in Marvel's Wolverine hitting Fall 2024. Third-party exclusives such as Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth and Silent Hill 2 are going to do much of the heavylifting for the PS5's catalogue throughout the next year, with Sony's first-party output not blowing up until 2025.

Last edited:
Top Bottom