• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we see fully Ray-Traced graphics , Volume Rendering & other bespoke graphics by the end of this generation?

onQ123

Last generation we actually had devs going out of their way to try new things this generation we are mostly getting features from premade engines. I'm hoping at least a few devs try to make a fully Ray-Traced game.

We have consoles with 10 & 12TF of GPU compute I can only imagine what devs from the 80's , 90's & early 2000's would be trying to do with this type of hardware.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
What do you mean by full RT? My guess is RTGI will be standard for most games 2025 and beyond. UE5 Lumen tech will democratize for devs who wish to forego building proprietary tech and other premier devs (Massive, 4A, PS Studios) will create similar solutions.

If you want RT reflections and shadows in addition to RTGI I think that's reserved for PS5 Pro and PC.

Three

Fully raytraced in what way? Path Tracing? even games like cyberpunk with path tracing have limitations that to me would prevent it from being called "fully raytraced". I think you're going to see a rise in hybrid raytracing if anything.

Last edited:
Most of what’s listed will be present during Playstation 6 generation.

Everything listed will additionally be running at 60fps on PS7 pro.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
On PC. Even then it's not worth it. Raytracing for shadows simply isn't worth it. Raytracing for reflections is barely worth it. The lighting is worth it, but even with that, raytracing using triangles is excessive. The raytraced lighting solutions that use voxel or signed distance field representations of the environment like Lumen and SVOGI are more than enough.

yurqqa

It always has been about compromise between:

1. How time consuming during development technology is
2. How many resources it requires during gameplay
3. How great doesn it look on screen.

No one needs "full RT" or "true Anti-aliasing".

We need a mix of technologies (with "cheats") that looks great take optimal amount of resources and are in the budget of the game maker.

fersnake

maybe im wrong but i believe ppl said raytracing was replacing rasterization but by the looks of it its gonna take maybe another 10 yrs. in the end i really dont care, if ppl love fake fps and fake resolutions and fine with fake (baked) lightning, shadows etc

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
On PC. Even then it's not worth it. Raytracing for shadows simply isn't worth it. Raytracing for reflections is barely worth it. The lighting is worth it, but even with that, raytracing using triangles is excessive. The raytraced lighting solutions that use voxel or signed distance field representations of the environment like Lumen and SVOGI are more than enough.
I wouldn’t say rt reflections aren’t worth it. SSR is an abomination.

On PC, yes. Consles, no.
Correct. And thank Christ for that. All of the console games that try to include that trash inevitably end up with shitty performance or "720p upscaled to 4k" images.

You want high end bells and whistles on $2,000 PCs? Sure. Go ahead. But pre-built, plug and play, $500 consoles do not have the horsepower for them. Stop forcing this shit where it doesn't work.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yes. But my question is: Now that generative AI like Sora can be used to generate videos (leaping from image-only creation to video in a remarkably short time), can it eventually also be used to replace traditional rendering and RT?

Edit: Well, this is more like a rhetorical question since everything points at the answer being yes.

Last edited:

Hudo

What do you mean with "Fully Raytraced" and "Volume Rendering" exactly?

You mean that we replace rasterization completely? That might still take some years. I am not sure what you mean with volume rendering, though. Do you mean stuff like Gaussian Splatting? We can use that already, it's just that it has some big limitation in terms of the data you need to get a scene and that you still need to have some sort of underlying representation for physics and collision. Although there are papers trying to tackle that problem as well.

On the horizon, I can see neural rendering approaches replacing the explicit approaches. NERFs are the "hottest" approach right now. However, they do have some big limitations right now that people are working on.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

If traditional rasterized fallbacks dissipate completely, then yeah.

Until then, nah. It'll be a gimmick for awhile. It'll probably be some time when we get RT-mandatory runtime rendering.

Edit: i'm personally less interested in GPU leaps like RT, as CPU development is so far behind at this point, compared to GPU's. I'm hoping a meaningful breakthrough in CPUs in the coming years. The CPU is were the actually interesting stuff happens when it comes to games, instead of fancy -but ultimately vapid- rendering techniques.

Last edited:
On the Pro, maybe?

I suspect by the time PS6 releases, it'll be capable of full RT and even path-tracing but developer effort and resources is another question.

Sakura

Yes. But my question is: Now that generative AI like Sora can be used to generate videos (leaping from image-only creation to video in a remarkably short time), can it eventually also be used to replace traditional rendering and RT?

Edit: Well, this is more like a rhetorical question since everything points at the answer being yes.
I'm pretty sure something like Sora uses more computing power/memory than is required for traditional rendering/RT, so I don't really understand why we would want that to replace traditional rendering/RT.

If you mean something like a smaller amount of rays traced, which is then upscaled via AI, then sure but that is kind of different.

Top Bottom