• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Xbox360 be the first follow-up console to not increase media storage capacity?

Anyone know any Dual Layer games?

I know that Xenosaga was the first.

GT4 & Champions of Norrath (probably both of them) are there as well.

There was an interview where R* said that GTA:SA would be dual layer aswell, but I think I've seen posters here say that that's not true.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56330

But, what, we ask, is Los Santos? Sounds Californian to us. "Los Santos is where you start the game as Carl Johnson, CJ," explains Brown, "and it's Rockstar's take on Los Angeles. The rest of the game is based on bits of California and some of Nevada." Showing us the in-game map, it looks like a small chunk of the whole thing how much of the finished game does this demo represent? "Eight square blocks of Los Santos. And the whole of Los Santos itself is only about 20 to 25 per cent of the play area of the whole game." Jeepers. How on earth can they physically cram all of that onto a single DVD? "We're using Dual Layer DVD 9," Brown says. "The hardest thing is cramming it all onto that!" With all this extra content, however long is San Andreas going to take to finish? "Difficult to say," admits Dean Evans, joypad joyously in hand. "You're talking hundreds of hours - it's absolutely huge. There's so much to explore." But have they played it a lot and know their way around yet, we enquire. "Yep," nods Evans, like a man who enjoys his work.

Gregory

Banned
I`m pretty sure 99% of all PS3 games will ship on DVD anyway.

Blu-ray is much more expensive to produce, so why use that for the games?
Storage space is a non-issue, imo.

Gek54

Gregory said:

Blu-ray is much more expensive to produce, so why use that for the games?
Storage space is a non-issue, imo.

Maybe at launch like how PS2 games were on CDs.

Teddman

sonycowboy said:
This listing seems to directly contradict that statement.
That listing only contains DVD-ROM PS2 games, none of the CD-ROM games, and is not going to give you a representative sample of the overall library.

Gek54

Teddman said:
That listing only contains DVD-ROM PS2 games, none of the CD-ROM games, and is not going to give you a representative sample of the overall library.

Cant you count the number of PS2 CD-rom games on your hands?

Gek54 said:
Maybe at launch like how PS2 games were on CDs.

Not all of them. Just looking at that list...

Eternal Ring: 4.31GB
Evergrace: 3.54GB
Kessen: 4.23GB
Summoner: 1.14GB
DOA2: Hardcore: 4.35GB
ESPN Winter Games Snowboarding: 1.70GB

jarrod said:
Contra SS was a CD-ROM game iirc and it was released in 2002. That list is way outdated.

And it's got more than a couple of games that are incorrectly listed as CD as well.

Although, many budget games are CD based. World Championship Poker, quite a few arcade collections, Alien Hominid.

But, it's also a bit questionable to use such games as examples of how little storage space would be needed by regular budget titles.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Well, you could look at games that come on multiple DVDs. PCs are still beginning to transfer to DVD.
Which is relevant exactly how? PC has been "limited" by CD for at least 10 years now - according to your logic, since that's how long games existed that shipped on multiple CDs (and we've seen like 7CD games back in 1996 for that matter).
PC medium transitions are ass slow - it has nothing to do with available space, it's called supporting the lowest common denominator, something consoles don't deal with.

thorns

Banned
Don't forget that sony might go with 1x blu-ray for ps3 (to reduce costs) which would make it substainally slower than 12xdvd.. Even 2x blu-ray would be slower.

Gregory said:

The only thing we know for sure is that 100% of X360 games will ship on DVD.

Gregory said:
Blu-ray is much more expensive to produce

No it isn't:

Blu-Ray discs that the PS3 utilises will cost half of what present DVDs do. This effectively means that a full 25 gig PS3 project could be pressed for half the cost of a typical PS2 project

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Gek54 said:
Offf the top of my head, MGS2 substance, God of War, GTA:VC, Rallisport Challenge 2

GTA:VC isn't DVD9

i'm sure MGS3 Subsistence will be dual layered. for Xbox games, there's PGR2, Halo 2 (almost dvd5), Jade Empire, Ninja Gaiden

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
monkeymagic, link for that last quote, please. Because there hasn't been any mention of BD discs costing less than DVDs to manufacture. It's always been cited as more than DVD.

kaching said:
monkeymagic, link for that last quote, please. Because there hasn't been any mention of BD discs costing less than DVDs to manufacture. It's always been cited as more than DVD.

It's from s p o n g, back from Sept of last year. Very questionable reasoning.

http://news.*****.com/detail/news.asp?prid=7572

Following Electronic Arts’ recent declaration that the production cost involved in next-gen software development could be as much as 200% of present costs, Sony has made an interesting point about the manufacture of the discs themselves. This information certainly undermines EA’s more self-serving approximations, and paints a far more optimistic picture of the future state of the industry.

Of course, Sony is defending its own interests and wants potential investors to know that there are positive prospects for the PS3, but if what it says is true, it will be good news for many involved in the industry. Apparently, the Blu-Ray discs that the PS3 utilises will cost half of what present DVDs do. This effectively means that a full 25 gig PS3 project could be pressed for half the cost of a typical PS2 project: which would, to a certain extent, help lessen the blow of the increased development costs that EA has cited.

This cost-cutting is derived from the fact that glass plates usually used in DVD production can be replaced by cheaper silicone ones. The size of the machinery itself is also an estimated 20% of older DVD equipment, freeing up floor-space and reducing associated property costs.

I bought San Andreas for Xbox, and copied it to my hdd to make loading times at the beginning of the game, and entering buildings, much faster. Plus, it's a pain to find the DVD, and place it in the tray, then take it out, when you're done.

My point is, San Andreas is only 2.1 GB on my hard drive. The biggest games on my hdd are only a little over 4 GB. Will high definiton games use more storage space? Yes, but the 360 probably has enough games for most first gen games.

Gorgie said:
I bought San Andreas for Xbox, and copied it to my hdd to make loading times at the beginning of the game, and entering buildings, much faster. Plus, it's a pain to find the DVD, and place it in the tray, then take it out, when you're done.

My point is, San Andreas is only 2.1 GB on my hard drive. The biggest games on my hdd are only a little over 4 GB. Will high definiton games use more storage space? Yes, but the 360 probably has enough games for most first gen games.

Hmmmm....

compressed torrents @ ~4GB
http://isohunt.com/torrents.php?ihq=San Andreas&ts

PC Version Minimum PC requirement 3.7GB for install
http://www.rockstargames.com/sanandreas/pc/

Excelion

Banned
3af60919a0a945ef086751da.jpg

Mashing

What kind of game developer can even fill up a full Blu Ray disks without geeenormous amounts of $$$? I really don't think media storage will be a determining factor when it comes for developers to decide want to develop on.

edit:
Quote:
Blu-Ray discs that the PS3 utilises will cost half of what present DVDs do. This effectively means that a full 25 gig PS3 project could be pressed for half the cost of a typical PS2 project

I don't believe that for a sec

Striek

Mashing said:
What kind of game developer can even fill up a full Blu Ray disks without geeenormous amounts of $$$? I really don't think media storage will be a determining factor when it comes for developers to decide want to develop on.
The real question isn't who can fill a blu-ray disc, its who can fill up more than a DVD-9. Which, alot could.

Top Bottom