• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you end buying the new Series X Refresh ?

Will you buy the newly designed Series X ?

• Yes

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 417 86.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 31 6.4%

• Total voters

Rival

Gold Member
I honestly haven’t touched my series x in months. I don’t even have game pass right now.when I did have it I was playing on pc. The only time I play it is when I want to go back and play some of my old original Xbox and 360 games. I doubt there would be a compelling reason for me to get any future Xbox console as I like having a higher end pc in addition to PlayStation and switch.

MacReady13

Looks great but what do I do with all these physical games I've purchased throughout the years? I'll stick with my series x and purchase another series x before they disappear off the market. Greedy fuckers these companies are. Lower their digital prices and i'd consider going all digital.

lachesis

Asides power efficiency and storage - I don't think there's any meaningful performance gain over current one? Nah.

Looks weird. I like my rectangular box.

Controller - yes.

mdkirby

Nah. I barely turn mine on. Once I’ve wrapped up final fantasy 16, I’ll boot it up for starfield, but yeah to play a couple of games a year def not worthwhile. Will grab the ps5.5 tho for sure, use it every day.

hinch7

Nope. Do want that new controller though. Really can't say no to a properly supported Xbox controller on PC with haptics and near latest BT.

Gambit2483

So there's no chance someone wants a next gen xbox console that doesn't care about physical? Let's say it was out today:

Buy square x for $499 with drive and tb ssd, or
Buy round x for $499 with 2tb.

If you ask me more people would pick round than square as the larger store size and newer machine has more value to a lot of buyers.
I don't think that market exists yet. Which is why Sony and MS made two different models. MS believes that market exists but it ONLY exists currently because that particular model was $200-$300 cheaper.

Maybe that $500 digital only market will exist in 2030 but not now. Also the market may be aware of preservation if more and more games become de-listed i.e. gone forever.

Last edited:

baphomet

The Series X I have is useless outside of occasionally playing BC discs.

Why would I need an adorably all digital one?

Hero_Select

I have a Series X, I buy a good amount of physical games so I don't need this at all. I will buy the new controller though :3

KaiserBecks

I love the aesthetics of the Series X and I have plenty of physical games from previous generations. I don't see the point in "upgrading" to a downgrade.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If that leaked slide is true (and MS doesn't have a Pro refresh, a hard pass.

There's no point at all.

For existing Series X gamers: No point. It's the same specs and doesn't even have an optical drive. I dont see an extra TB of space or some of those input/output/BT changes being game changers

For gamers that dont have Series X: No point. Just wait for next gen in 2027 or 2028. If youre that desperate for X mid way through a generation, then find a cheap used regular Series X off ebay

When MS did One X over One OG that was totally different and a good boost. The system was way more powerful, could pull off 4k, you got BC boosts to old games at 4k and/or 60 fps, you could play 4k movies and it had 1 TB storage standard (One OG was 500 gb).

Last edited:

Deerock71

This poll was designed to do cock and balls, right?
Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Killer8

Series X will likely be the last Xbox I ever purchase.

Remove the disc drive and you remove access to half my collection via backwards compatibility.

For everything else, there's PC.

skit_data

Nah, If I were to get an Xbox I would definitely get the Series X with the disc drive and shop around for physical copies of their current exclusives, X360 and X1 games.
I've never owned an Xbox and since the most alluring thing about their ecosystem for me personally is their solid BC it would kind of defeat the purpose not to have the disc drive.

RAIDEN1

My next Xbox refresh will be in 2028 when they bring the true successor....Even when the Series X first came out I was quite happy to continue on with the Xbox-One, it was only because of Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite I decided to upgrade...

Hohenheim

No way. Already sold my XSX because of better performance on my PC and game pass pc.
But the new controller? Definitly. Unless there's a elite 3 version at the same time. In that case i'll definitly get that one.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I don't think that market exists yet. Which is why Sony and MS made two different models. MS believes that market exists but it ONLY exists currently because that particular model was $200-$300 cheaper.

Maybe that $500 digital only market will exist in 2030 but not now. Also the market may be aware of preservation if more and more games become de-listed i.e. gone forever.

They cut the drive to keep costs down and they knew that a lot of people wouldn't care if it had an optical drive.

There is a huge market for an all digital series X, I bet you 2 out 3 people would pick the all digital if it was the same price as the one with a drive but twice the hard drive space.
They could sell this today with zero issue. Sure they could go a bit cheaper and some would pick the smaller size too. $499 and 2tb all digital would oustall the exitsing model right now.

Younger people could care less about "preservation" and it's a moot point, by the time they de-listed they can be emulated for cheap if you are desperate.

Last edited:
If it isn't a pro version of the X then why the heck would I upgrade?

Double storage doesn't matter, and I can buy controllers by themselves.

Give me more juice though and I'm in. All digital doesn't even matter to me. I've been all digital for years.

Beechos

I'm a sucker for tech the lower thermals and hopefully smaller size is good enough for me. I'm sure theyll be some decent trade in offer at gamestop to upgrade to it.

Gambit2483

They cut the drive to keep costs down and they knew that a lot of people wouldn't care if it had an optical drive.

There is a huge market for an all digital series X, I bet you 2 out 3 people would pick the all digital if it was the same price as the one with a drive but twice the hard drive space.
They could sell this today with zero issue. Sure they could go a bit cheaper and some would pick the smaller size too. $499 and 2tb all digital would oustall the exitsing model right now.

Younger people could care less about "preservation" and it's a moot point, by the time they de-listed they can be emulated for cheap if you are desperate.
2 out of 3 is highly subjective depending on which demographics you are using. Yeah I'm sure younger gamers might not care as much but some do and many other older gamers care about ownership and de-listings as evident by this poll.

Celebrating the loss of a disc drive is basically saying "I don't care about losing games forever or getting screwed over price-wise by my corporate overlords". I just don't think the market for that crowd is big enough yet.

Cohetedor

I'm hoping to win a series x in a contest, the drive for me is a necessity. On another thought, since the redesign is no longer a box what should we call it? X-Pole? X- Rod? The Big Black Cylinder(BBC)

SomeGit

No, the only bonus is the extra storage, which I don’t need because I got an external on sale. USB C and faster IO is nice but hardly a game changer and I don’t need faster wifi.

Plus I don’t use the optical drive that much but it’s a nice to have so even if I didn’t already own a XSX I’d probably still get the original over the new one. The controller is a might, but only if I can change the sticks for holo sticks.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
2 out of 3 is highly subjective depending on which demographics you are using. Yeah I'm sure younger gamers might not care as much but some do and many other older gamers care about ownership and de-listings as evident by this poll.

Celebrating the loss of a disc drive is basically saying "I don't care about losing games forever or getting screwed over price-wise by my corporate overlords". I just don't think the market for that crowd is big enough yet.

All this talk about getting screwed over by price is rediculous. When the steam store was the only online gaming store on pc, and gamers had long since abondoned physical disks, were prices out of control?
Your completely forgetting that the market for "free time" and "entertainment" still has a ceiling.

Lets go with your theory - games are only available for digital, and god of war 4 is $199. (no idea why, but lets go with that) Do you really think sony is going to sell millions of copies at that price? They will have priced themselves out of 90% of the sales. The casuals simply won't pay it. Heck, they won't even buy the console in the first place. They will watch netflix, go outside, go see a movie, play a mobile game, or do something else.

And losing the games forever? Do we not own hard drives? You do realize an optical disk is no different than a hard drive - they both hold data. You don't actually own either, you license them in either form.
Even beyond that, a lot of AAA stuff is being redone, re-released in better form, or available as a retro game. And last course, you can emulate whatever you want if the evil overloads are oppresing you.
This corporate overlord thing is getting rediculous.

And it's not matter of celibration, it's a matter of what's going to happen. Kids these days barely even know what a disk is, it's about to get much worse if you think it's bad now.

Why would anyone buy all digital xsx over the current xsx when it’s the same price, just uglier and missing the uhd blu ray drive. Ms thinks we are all bunch of fools 😂 . They will learn the hard way once many Xbox gamers switch to ps5 pro.

Last edited:

unlurkified

C’mon MS. Why no disc drive in your premium product? If their next top model has no drive, I’m out. I swear, 2013 MS has always been alive and well, they’ve just been playing the slow game.

Jesb

If you already own one why buy it, if you don’t own one why buy it. I’m not sure who this is for.

Zannegan

Nah. If I'm going to pay full console price, I'd like an optical drive. Even though I'd use digital more often, I'd want the option. Of course, that may be a moot point soon if stores stop stocking physical games.

At that point though, I guess I'd just go PC. I trust Valve with my library way more than I do MS.

So... no.

Top Bottom