• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you ever buy an Electric Vehicle?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Maybe if they’re so great than put electric in everything I think they just want to control, suddenly gasoline is bad.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I'd like to get an electric Vespa for my first electric vehicle. I need them to get cheaper, faster, and go further, first. I like the idea of silent riding, and recharging while I'm at work. I have a 2003 Piaggio LT150 right now, and its still hanging on. I've been driving it on dirt roads over hills and mountains for 17 years, and it looks a little rough but still goes. 60mph too.

hero-models-vespa-elettrica.jpg

I would get one of these. Looks great.

Paltheos

That's the dream, but it's still a while off (for a number of reasons). Plus, I just bought a brand new car less than 2 years ago.
If I were to buy one today, I'd get a Tesla. I'll see what the car market's like in... 5 years? idk

Quasicat

I got the chance to test drive an EV Hyundai Kona, even though they are not yet sold in my state. It was a very nice ride and was very quiet. The biggest adjustment to me was expecting to feel a shift in gears, as there is no need for it with an electric. It was the first model they made and the dealer told me that they were going to put a heating system to keep the batteries at a good temperature for the cold winters we get here. I’m excited for when they bring them out here. The way I keep my cars, my next one will be an electric, as I have at least 10 more years with my Tucson.

How is the air-purifying sytem working? Do you notice a difference in inner-air quality on packed highways?

Model 3 doesn't have the "Bioweapon Defense Mode" (negative pressure + HEPA filter) present on S/X. As air filters go, the Model 3 and Y filters are pretty ordinary. If there's some nasty ass truck spewing the worst cancerous fumes on the planet in front of you, you're gonna smell it.

What's your favorite thing about it and your least favorite?

Most Favorite: I haven't been to a gas station in almost 4 years.
Least Favorite: Cabin noise isn't great inside Model 3. It's a loud car to drive on the freeway.

Special Mention: Autopilot is a God-class feature. My current commute is 94 miles a day. Autopilot is the only thing which is keeping me sane.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I’m looking forward to the electric switch over. Engine noise at night is a pain in the arse if some twat sits there in his loud car. DragoonKain DragoonKain has it worse though.

I’ve never been into cars, they’re just a tool to get from A-B to me. A wise man once said “They all get stuck in traffic.” If the cars we drive can stop being so bad for the planet then I’m all for it. I just hope the battery tech and charging infrastructure matures progresses even further before the switch over, because it’s going to take a while to install everything everywhere.

How long does it currently take to charge an EV?

Rockondevil

Whatever is better value long term will be what I go with. Probably likely that in a decade or so that'll be the only choice, but who really knows.

ItsGreat

If you do buy one make sure you've got cozy UGG boots if you live in a cold climate.

The free heat from the combustion engine was sorely missed this year.

Nah, I like my internal combustion engines. As long as I can fix my diesel car and my gasoline motorcycle, I'll never switch to an EV. I don't really care about the environment and most of that is bullshit anyway, the major percentage of electricity that goes in the distribution grid is produced by using fossil fuels.

Sure eventually, but probably not anytime soon. Whenever I go to work the few electric parking spots they have are always full and most places don't have any at all.

Mahadev

Yes, when I won't have to pay 5k every 5 years to change the battery. The world needs better battery tech asap.

Well in that case gasoline is superior. I can fill my tank in 2 minutes.
That's not how it works. Imagine a world where you never go to a gas station ever, except when you take a road trip. That's the world I live in. So electric is actually superior in terms of that, plus as a bonus I never have to touch the most disgusting place in America: the gas station pump handle.

mcz117chief

Well, I wake up to a full tank every morning without me having to do anything or go anywhere
2 minutes a month don't really bother me, a small price to pay for the reliability it provides.

in that case, electricity is superior ;)
There are many cases where electricity is vastly inferior, like, pretty much all the cases except when you live in a hyper-developed country that has an abundance of cheap electricity everywhere. Take your electric car to Siberia, Cambodia, India or sub-saharan Africa and then tell me how it is superior.

danowat

Banned
2 minutes a month don't really bother me, a small price to pay for the reliability it provides.

There are many cases where electricity is vastly inferior, like, pretty much all the cases except when you live in a hyper-developed country that has an abundance of cheap electricity everywhere. Take your electric car to Siberia, Cambodia, India or sub-saharan Africa and then tell me how it is superior.
If you only fill up once a month, then the charging time is more irrelevant, simply because you can just top up overnight.

India has seen a big shift, it has some of the most polluted cities in the world and EV's are being pushed hard, I'll give you the others, but I am sure people said the same about gasoline cars when they first hit the scene "I can fed my horse anywhere, why would I take a car to x when there is no petrol stations".

To be honest, it makes no difference who does like it or not, it's going to / got to happen, gasoline cars will be less and less attractive over the next decade.

But I'll take electric any day of the week, it's 10x cheaper to run, way less to service, no oil or fluids, no belts or chains, no transmission or clutch, no starter, no alternator.

Plus the way they drive is awesome, instant seamless torque at any speed, and so refined and quiet.

mcz117chief

If you only fill up once a month, then the charging time is more irrelevant, simply because you can just top up overnight.

India has seen a big shift, it has some of the most polluted cities in the world and EV's are being pushed hard, I'll give you the others, but I am sure people said the same about gasoline cars when they first hit the scene "I can fed my horse anywhere, why would I take a car to x when there is no petrol stations".

To be honest, it makes no difference who does like it or not, it's going to / got to happen, gasoline cars will be less and less attractive over the next decade.

But I'll take electric any day of the week, it's 10x cheaper to run, way less to service, no oil or fluids, no belts or chains, no transmission or clutch, no starter, no alternator.

Plus the way they drive is awesome, instant seamless torque at any speed, and so refined and quiet.
I totally get you, mate, I do like the idea but I don't feel we are close to making them as utilitarian as gasoline ones. Once they start charging faster and can drive as far as a gasoline car then I'll definitely consider one, but right now a trip to Italy would take me 3 days in an electric car but with a gasoline one I can be there in 8-10 hours.

danowat

Banned
1000km with an electric car is how many charges and how long do these charges take?
Lets assume a (bottom end) Tesla model 3 or a Mustang Mach-E, they have a similar range, 260(ish) miles (418km), let's drop 25% off that range for arguments sake (HVAC, weather conditions etc), I'll round it down to 310km.

1000km / 310km = 3.22, I'll assume you can charge at your destination, in which case, 3 charges @ 38mins (100kw charger, think the Tesla can go up to 200kw, so you could half that time.)

So at most it would take 1hr 20mins more than a gasoline car, and that's assuming you don't stop to eat, piss, shit or refuel in your gasoline car.

So yes, more than a gasoline car, but not 3 days!.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Lets assume a (bottom end) Tesla model 3 or a Mustang Mach-E, they have a similar range, 260(ish) miles (418km), let's drop 25% off that range for arguments sake (HVAC, weather conditions etc), I'll round it down to 310km.

1000km / 310km = 3.22, I'll assume you can charge at your destination, in which case, 3 charges @ 38mins (100kw charger)

So at most it would take 1hr 20mins more than a gasoline car, and that's assuming you don't stop to eat, piss, shit or refuel.

So yes, more than a gasoline car, but not 3 days!.
Ah, ok. Everywhere I looked and every time anyone was talking about electric cars (car shows, tv, car salesmen) they always said that charging is around 8 hours.

Susurrus

I have a 2014 VW Jetta and a 2016 Honda Odyssey paid off in full and in excellent condition. I'm not paying $32k for Model 3 or $85k for Model X to save a few bucks on gas. When I retire from the military in a few years and can get paid more + retirement pay, the 3 might be doable, but the X is still absurd.

Amory

As soon as I have a house so I can charge it I'm getting a Tesla for sure. Seems like one of those cool life experiences that people should have, if they can

Once Tesla comes out with the $25k subcompact I'm getting once once I drive the wheels off my grandmother's 2005 Ford Focus I use as a commuter vehicle.

If I want to have fun on the road it's on two wheels, a car is strictly utilitarian IMO.

TheContact

after driving a model Y i definitely want my next car to be electric. the problem is, i need a 3 row vehicle right now and i don't think we're gonna see electric 3 rows for a while

Durask

I really like what I have now so I do not see myself getting a new car for the next 3-4 years at least, then will probably get an electric car, by then there will be more to choose from.

I like Tesla but they always seem to have fit and finish problems.

lem0n

I see the appeal of them but I much prefer driving standard every day so I will continue to do so until I either get sick of it or I can't. I won't be upset at the idea of the electric car daily driver, it's just personal preference.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'll buy one in the future no doubt, but I hope I still have my motorcycle and a non electric vehicle too. I will miss the noises for sure.

99Luffy

Banned
If you do buy one make sure you've got cozy UGG boots if you live in a cold climate.

The free heat from the combustion engine was sorely missed this year.
Would you rather have the heat from the engine warming up. Or the instant heat from an electric heater that you can also turn on in a closed garage?

Peggies

Gold Member
I don't mind the electric part. What I do mind is automatic gear and fucking Elon Musk. I guess in the future I won't have a choice but man, I really hate Elon Musk and automatics. And Mondays.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
None of the current electric cars appeal to me, but yeah. When one comes out that appeals to me. Price of gas is skyrocketing and I'm sick of the the maintenance schedule for ICE cars. I'll miss rowing gears and the exhaust note of ICE, but the other benefits of BEV outweigh those.

danowat

Banned
I don't mind the electric part. What I do mind is automatic gear and fucking Elon Musk. I guess in the future I won't have a choice but man, I really hate Elon Musk and automatics. And Mondays.
They aren't automatic, they are single gear, they don't have any gears because they don't need them.
Transmissions were only ever invented to get over the small range of usable power from a combustion engine.

Peggies

Gold Member
They aren't automatic, they are single gear, they don't have any gears because they don't need them.
Transmissions were only ever invented to get over the small range of usable power from a combustion engine.
OK! I still like gearshift.

A.Romero

As soon as I can afford one. The most expensive car I've ever had costs about 1/3 of what the plain Tesla 3 costs.

I can imagine it very convenient,

Top Bottom