• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's nice, but don't pretend for a second that this is somehow a WP8 only kind of thing.

I think he's referring to it vs iOS/most Android devices. Though Android is developing its own personality and there is deep customization available, for most people, WP8 offers a faster way of creating a distinguishable look.

maeh2k

Here's a blog post about the compatibility of the Rooms feature with other operating systems: http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2012/11/29/tips-for-using-rooms-on-other-phones.aspx

For pictures and videos shared in the group you can just use the SkyDrive app, which is available on all platforms. For shared notes the OneNote app, which is also available on all platforms. And the calendar can be shared, too.

It's not quite as elegant as a Windows Phone 8 Room, but it's nice that you can at least access most of the Room features on all platforms.

Ragus

Banned
Yeah, everyone has it's own preference. For some, my home screen may be plain and simple, but I like it that way :).

thirty

Banned
Jet Set Radio released on Android and iOS today. Damn, that game would have been nice on WP8.

Seriously, why isn't MS money hatting these devs? This is survival for their post-PC lives.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Any word from Microsoft regarding mysteriously absent Wifi standards? I'd very much like to connect to Eduroam in the near future :(.

Edit: Checking on the suggestion site it seems the dev team have taken notice of the fact, at least.

Edit #2: Never fucking mind, the issue was "escalated" two years ago. For WP7. :|

kharma45

Any word from Microsoft regarding mysteriously absent Wifi standards? I'd very much like to connect to Eduroam in the near future :(.

Edit: Checking on the suggestion site it seems the dev team have taken notice of the fact, at least.

Edit #2: Never fucking mind, the issue was "escalated" two years ago. For WP7. :|

Yeah it's something they're apparently looking in to for WP8 but nothing in the near future, fucking ridiculous.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Yesterday, got home after virtually no phone usage with 55% battery left.

Today, I actually used my phone (voice, email, settings, texting), and batter was 77% at the end of the day. Difference was that I always closed apps.

So yeah, get in a habit of mashing that back button.

Razdek

Banned
Jesus Christ.

Do you really think HTC and Microsoft wouldn't push out the update, as soon as they could?
Last time Microsoft pushed an update without proper testing out, was NoDo. We all know how that went.

Phone development is hard.
Especially if you don't own the OS or the infrastructure.

Testing is hard.
It takes time.

If the cause for a bug is not obvious, you have to go through long and extensive testing.
Or else you could break even more.

Heck, HTC even collected frontieruk's phone to analyse the problem, making it obvious that it's not an expected bug or easy to fix.

It makes me wonder how rigid the testing was done before they released the OS as this isn't a minor issue. Imagine if Windows 8 was released with the same issue they would be in deep shit and have to fix it right away. It always seems to be one thing or another with WP8.

Here's the bottom half of my home screen with significantly less personal information than the top half

wp_ss_20121116_0004.png

Klocker

You could do that in WP7, what you can not do now however is pin individual Notebook. Pretty stupid.

you know I think they changed that in 7.5 actually.

I never noticed it until I reset Office one day and it removed my pins. Now I can no longer Pin a notebook.

And yes regardless, stupid. also, Wifi syncing has to return in a future WIn Phone app right? Right??

It makes me wonder how rigid the testing was done before they released the OS as this isn't a minor issue. Imagine if Windows 8 was released with the same issue they would be in deep shit and have to fix it right away. It always seems to be one thing or another with WP8.

To be fair about testing, they didn't have very much time since the OS was so late. The question is how did they not notice the rebooting bug. It's not like it's a rare bug, it seems to be pretty common with many of the 8X. People reported that within few days of having the phone. If I have to guess, I am sure HTC, like Samsung probably didn't adhere well to Microsoft guideline on memory.

you know I think they changed that in 7.5 actually.

I never noticed it until I reset Office one day and it removed my pins. Now I can no longer Pin a notebook.

And yes regardless, stupid. also, Wifi syncing has to return in a future WIn Phone app right? Right??

They did ? As of two weeks ago when I was still using the 900, I was able to pin individual OneNote's Notebook.

Don't bring up Wi-Fi sync, you just going to make me sour on Windows Phone 8 again and I don't want to get pile on when I goes on my rant.

Not sure why they want to remove functionality. On another note, Windows 8 app stores seems to be growing at healthy pace (not surprising with so many Windows machines out there), now let see if in fact Windows Phone 8 will get trickle down effect and/or have more app with cross functionality.

I still don't understand how all my Chrome favorites show up on any machine as long as I sign into Google account but IE10 can't even share favorite list on the same machine let alone port to IE10 Mobile. I have to give them prop though, IE10 is very fast and fluid on the phone.

Razdek

Banned
To be fair about testing, they didn't have very much time since the OS was so late. The question is how did they not notice the rebooting bug. It's not like it's a rare bug, it seems to be pretty common with many of the 8X. People reported that within few days of having the phone. If I have to guess, I am sure HTC, like Samsung probably didn't adhere well to Microsoft guideline on memory.

I was agreeing with you in the fact that you are justified in complaining about this because this should not be happening. Imagine if Apple or Android had a bug like this people in this thread would be ripping them as well. The OS being late is Microsoft's fault and they of all companies should know that stuff like this needs to be tested before it gets released. The question now is how fast can they get this fixed.

Fjolle

I was agreeing with you in the fact that you are justified in complaining about this because this should not be happening. Imagine if Apple or Android had a bug like this people in this thread would be ripping them as well. The OS being late is Microsoft's fault and they of all companies should know that stuff like this needs to be tested before it gets released. The question now is how fast can they get this fixed.

Imagine if apple shipped a mobile OS with a non-functioning map function, OTA updates that doesn't work and a glitch that puts weird lines on the keyboard.

And then they took over a month to fix some of the glitches...

People would get fired for that!

maeh2k

Are you sure it doesn't work right now? My Windows Phone 7 connects to my university's eduroam without problems.

There may be different protocols for the connection of which Windows Phone doesn't support all.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Are you sure it doesn't work right now? My Windows Phone 7 connects to my university's eduroam without problems.

There may be different protocols for the connection of which Windows Phone doesn't support all.

Your uni probably doesn't use EAP-TTLS. Mine does.

Doesn't Wifi shut off at the lockscreen? Because for some odd reason at mine it will continue to show the Wifi icon as connected?

Your uni probably doesn't use EAP-TTLS. Mine does.

Luckily mine uses a certificate based encryption. Just had to download the certificate and set it to log in to the router using it. ^-^

hwalker84

Doesn't Wifi shut off at the lockscreen? Because for some odd reason at mine it will continue to show the Wifi icon as connected?

Luckily mine uses a certificate based encryption. Just had to download the certificate and set it to log in to the router using it. ^-^

If it's plugged into power wifi will continue on.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Mine does use certificate based encryption too. I had to dick around a shitload to get my friends old Symbian based phone to connect. Managed to find the right cert to make it happen. Then I installed the same cert on my phone, but it ain't working. You need to set up a lot of things for it to work and those options just aren't available.

Our network uses 802.1x and that doesn't seem to be supported at all so I doubt the right certificate will help anyway.

Meanwhile, Android and iOS both identify and set it up automatically without trouble. Blergh.

At the very least my Lumia seems to identify the routers much better than my Arc did. The Arc would connect to the first found router, no matter where it was actually located, so I could get the weakest possible signal which would drop frequently. Maybe it had a busted wifi chip, but eh. If this will ever work I'm certain it'll work excellently considering I'm getting 100% signal strength no matter where I am in regards to wifi.

PG2G

The reason WiFi sync is gone is because there is no longer anything to sync to. We won't be seeing WiFi sync until we have a sync application that actually has some intelligence :/

They might never do it though, and consider cloud collection as the only "sync" you need

SeanR1221

So I figured I'd type up how things have been living with a Lumia these past 3 weeks, and coming from using an iPhone since it launched.

I'll outline my main features of each, and who wins.

Phone - Tie. Call quality is clear and they both sync fine with my Honda CR-Vs Bluetooth. I might give a slight advantage to the Lumia because I like how incoming calls look.

Text - iPhone. I find iOS to be more organized here.

Mail - iPhone. I feel like when I delete mail from my gmail on the Lumia, it doesn't delete from my actual Gmail...why?

Cloud services- Lumia. Skydrive, One note and contacts/calendar events work much nicer for me than the iCloud alternatives. One note is a fantastic app, and skydrive is MUCH nicer than photostream.

Games- Tie. Woah wait, a tie? Yes. Even though the Lumia will never match the amount of games the iPhone has, the XBL integration is enough to make me want to PLAY the games. I like adding to my Gamerscore or games played. Plus, Game Center is an ugly mess.

Build quality - Lumia. This thing is a tank. Even though the iphone 4 was beautiful, I was always afraid I'd shatter it.

Camera - Lumia. Looking at my old iPhone 4 pictures, I didn't realize how much better my Lumia camera is. Big Improvement for me.

Facebook - Tie. I like the iOS facebook app a LOT more, but the baked in integration into Windows Phone is nice too.

Well, there you have it. The lack of apps doesn't bother me as much, because I realized how few apps I ACTUALLY used. I'm happy with the switch.

Razdek

Banned
Imagine if apple shipped a mobile OS with a non-functioning map function, OTA updates that doesn't work and a glitch that puts weird lines on the keyboard.

And then they took over a month to fix some of the glitches...

People would get fired for that!

Well let's be honest here. Random reboots seems a lot worse than what you pointed out and it's already been a month since it's been released if you count the official Rogers release statement. Random reboots is just the worst of the bunch as there are several other bugs that affected users at launch but it's a new OS but it doesn't make it less frustrating for end users.

hwalker84

So I figured I'd type up how things have been living with a Lumia these past 3 weeks, and coming from using an iPhone since it launched.

I'll outline my main features of each, and who wins.

Phone - Tie. Call quality is clear and they both sync fine with my Honda CR-Vs Bluetooth. I might give a slight advantage to the Lumia because I like how incoming calls look.

Text - iPhone. I find iOS to be more organized here.

Mail - iPhone. I feel like when I delete mail from my gmail on the Lumia, it doesn't delete from my actual Gmail...why?

Cloud services- Lumia. Skydrive, One note and contacts/calendar events work much nicer for me than the iCloud alternatives. One note is a fantastic app, and skydrive is MUCH nicer than photostream.

Games- Tie. Woah wait, a tie? Yes. Even though the Lumia will never match the amount of games the iPhone has, the XBL integration is enough to make me want to PLAY the games. I like adding to my Gamerscore or games played. Plus, Game Center is an ugly mess.

Build quality - Lumia. This thing is a tank. Even though the iphone 4 was beautiful, I was always afraid I'd shatter it.

Camera - Lumia. Looking at my old iPhone 4 pictures, I didn't realize how much better my Lumia camera is. Big Improvement for me.

Facebook - Tie. I like the iOS facebook app a LOT more, but the baked in integration into Windows Phone is nice too.

Well, there you have it. The lack of apps doesn't bother me as much, because I realized how few apps I ACTUALLY used. I'm happy with the switch.
Phone - Lumia
Text - Lumia is FAR Superior
Mail - Lumia no contest
Cloud Services - Lumia
Games - iPhone
Build Quality - iPhone
Camera - Lumia
Facebook - Tie. I like the iOS facebook app a LOT more, but the baked in integration into Windows Phone is amazing.

WP7/8 by design to save battery queues activesync. All the deletes from the phone don't sync until the next email comes down.

Try this:
Gmail: Delete a few emails
View Gmail in browser
Alternate email account: Send test email to gmail account
Refresh Gmail in browser

You should now see the emails removed from gmail

PG2G

WP7/8 by design to save battery queues activesync. All the deletes from the phone don't sync until the next email comes down.

Wasn't aware of that, thanks for the heads up. Does it work the same even if you're not setup for push email?

Glad you're enjoying it!

Try this:
Gmail: Delete a few emails
View Gmail in browser
Alternate email account: Send test email to gmail account
Refresh Gmail in browser

You should now see the emails removed from gmail

Oh shit--does this explain why, even after I read/mark an email as read on my WP, it doesn't quickly mark it as read in my email?

Well let's be honest here. Random reboots seems a lot worse than what you pointed out and it's already been a month since it's been released if you count the official Rogers release statement. Random reboots is just the worst of the bunch as there are several other bugs that affected users at launch but it's a new OS but it doesn't make it less frustrating for end users.
I must have gotten the odd few then, No battery problems or any random reboots yet. I'm going on my first week though so they may appear later?

You still cannot upload videos to youtube directly right? I know you can upload videos to skydrive...
I was wondering this too; Its built into the YouTube API to allow people to upload videos, I wonder why Microsoft doesn't implement it at the OS Level, or at the very least a Developer should put it in their app.

thirty

Banned
I must have gotten the odd few then, No battery problems or any random reboots yet. I'm going on my first week though so they may appear later?

I was wondering this too; Its built into the YouTube API to allow people to upload videos, I wonder why Microsoft doesn't implement it at the OS Level, or at the very least a Developer should put it in their app.
supertube, a 3rd party youtube app, allows you to upload to youtube but i believe you have to use the app's camera.

frontieruk

I didn't notice it on mine at first, I assumed they'd changed the behaviour of the music player in that after x amount of time it 'forgot' what you were listening too last, then I noticed that tabs in the browser were getting closed, then I actually saw a reboot.

What if it's because of Google again?
I wouldn't put it past them

It looks like the video library wasn't available to apps, at least in WP7. Going to dig through the documentation and see if that has changed for WP8

Edit: Doesn't seem like it. How silly... http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...lop/ff402541(v=vs.105).aspx#BKMK_Medialibrary

Though that solves the mystery of why developers don't do it, now to figure out why YouTube Upload isn't built in to the OS, The API is there and Microsoft seems to be willing to build in social capabilities. Maybe it is just google?

I know a few of you guys here love Nokia products, how are those Purity headphone, both over the ear and in ear. My local ATT have them on clearance and I see several cheap ear buds one on eBay.

I remember Van said his was broken in just a few month. So far I have not found a good headphone that can reliably control the sound.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Psst, dudes. Vote on this issue. It's about the missing 802.1x standard, it's in regards to WP7 but hey, raising awareness of the issue is good for WP8 too I'd believe.

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...9-add-eap-tls-authentication-support-for-wifi

The highest voted one is in regards to Wifi shutting off when the screen locks and they're going to fix that, so...

(Accidentally posted this in the Launch thread :( )

Oh, so apparently I had like 6 background apps running. Apparently you have to mash back until you hit start screen to close all of it.

I'm an old dude now

It'd be nice if you could just hold it to go to the open apps tab, then hold it again to shut them all off at the same time. Or just a standard swipe up/down.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Started using the Nokia version of the Weather Channel app. It has a higher res live tile plus you can do the large tile. Until Amazing Weather gets updated this is the one I'm going to use.

thirty

Banned
I know a few of you guys here love Nokia products, how are those Purity headphone, both over the ear and in ear. My local ATT have them on clearance and I see several cheap ear buds one on eBay.

I remember Van said his was broken in just a few month. So far I have not found a good headphone that can reliably control the sound.
I just got the Sony MH1C buds and they have a mic and volume/mute buttons that work fine with the 920. There's a great review about them at Headfi as well as impressions from the GAF $500 headphone thread. The MH1C only cost $30 and sounds compare to buds 3 times their price.
It'd be nice if you could just hold it to go to the open apps tab, then hold it again to shut them all off at the same time. Or just a standard swipe up/down.
That or simply add a circle with a X to close out that app. Can't believe MS made no changes to that since Mango.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom