• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I didn't notice it on mine at first, I assumed they'd changed the behaviour of the music player in that after x amount of time it 'forgot' what you were listening too last, then I noticed that tabs in the browser were getting closed, then I actually saw a reboot.

I witnessed my first reboot yesterday, and I'm noticing that my podcasts sometimes are out of place when I play them again. I think my phone is rebooting daily and I'm just not noticing. They need to get this fix out asap.

also, antiquegamer, Nokia sent me replacement buds for free when mine stopped working and so far those are working fine.

frontieruk

I witnessed my first reboot yesterday, and I'm noticing that my podcasts sometimes are out of place when I play them again. I think my phone is rebooting daily and I'm just not noticing. They need to get this fix out asap.

also, antiquegamer, Nokia sent me replacement buds for free when mine stopped working and so far those are working fine.

If its anything like mine the bulk of them occur over night, or in your pocket. They'll get it sorted, I'll just be waiting for the WMC in Feb to rejoin the wp8 throng

ElNino

Started using the Nokia version of the Weather Channel app. It has a higher res live tile plus you can do the large tile. Until Amazing Weather gets updated this is the one I'm going to use.
So Amazing Weather doesn't work in WP8? I'm contemplating whether I want to upgrade to the 920 (from 900) but I'm thinking maybe I should wait for a bit until my apps are all covered.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So Amazing Weather doesn't work in WP8? I'm contemplating whether I want to upgrade to the 920 (from 900) but I'm thinking maybe I should wait for a bit until my apps are all covered.

It works fine, it's just not optimized for WP8 yet and it doesn't have an HD tile. They seem to be pretty good with updates so hopefully sometime soon.

ElNino

It works fine, it's just not optimized for WP8 yet and it doesn't have an HD tile. They seem to be pretty good with updates so hopefully sometime soon.
Ah, okay that's not bad then. As long as it works and I (at least) have the old WP7 tile then I'd be fine with that. You're right though, they have updated it enough times that I would imagine they will get it optimized sooner rather than later.

Hmm... I wonder why I enable all automatic feedback options on my phone. So much data to Microsoft and Nokia. Up to and including my browsing history. And I wanted it to be like that.

It helps with a lot of various things. You should definitely enable that. :)

As you use your Windows Phone and related services, we will collect information from you to enable the features and services offered on the phone and carry out the transactions you request or authorize. You may submit certain information about yourself (for example your name, e-mail, and phone number) and we may automatically collect other information in connection with the services. This information may also be analyzed and used to develop and improve features and services offered on the phone and other Microsoft products and services, unless more limited purposes are specified in the Specific Features section below.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/legal/wp8/windows-phone-privacy-statement

Can someone here check out to see if Dodonpachi is still unavailable?
It is on marketplace now, downloading it on my 920. Thank you for head up and restoring a bit of faith in Microsoft.

I will let you know how it run.

Update: well it crashed as soon as I select ship. So yes it is up on Marketplace but does not work. :/

Hmm... I am going to keep an eye on mine and see if it does that shenanigan.

How comfortable is the headphone? Do you have over the ears one also?

It is on marketplace now, downloading it on my 920. Thank you for head up and restoring a bit of faith in Microsoft.

I will let you know how it run.

Update: well it crashed as soon as I select ship. So yes it is up on Marketplace but does not work. :/
boo, hopefully they'll update

Coldsnap

Just got my 8x. What are some must have aps? loving the tiles, breath of fresh air after having iOS

Also is an Facebook app needed? I see under People it gives facebook updates

Blackhead

Redarse
Is it possible to pin the Store app for a live tile? And force it to check for updates? Many of my preloaded apps are out of date but the Store app won't inform me until I manually checked each app's page.
Just got my 8x. What are some must have aps? loving the tiles, breath of fresh air after having iOS

Also is an Facebook app needed? I see under People it gives facebook updates
The facebook app is needed for more advanced interactions.

I also need app recommendations but these lazy gaffers pretending to be WP fans refuse to share the love. :| as a shortcut you should first download AppFlow and WP7applist to see some of the popular ones.

PG2G

Check out the 'Essential Apps' Collection in the Marketplace :p

MetroRadio - 3rd party Pandora app
Metro.am - 3rd party Instagram app (viewing, no posting)
Pinspiration - 3rd party Pintrest app
4th & Mayor - 3rd party Foursquare app (better than the official)
Baconit - 3rd party Reddit app (and an awesome one at that)
Metrotube - 3rd party Youtube app
Wonder Reader - My pick for RSS if you are a Google Reader user

Basically, I'd probably go through the collections and start there. If there is anything specific you're looking for then let me know and I can hopefully recommend an app.

Raistlin

Basically, I'd probably go through the collections and start there. If there is anything specific you're looking for then let me know and I can hopefully recommend an app.

I recommend RadioControlled over MetroRadio ... though they're both pretty good

This is pretty cool...might be a good section to have in the OP for people transitioning from other OS's.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
HTC confirms the Windows Phone 8S will not be coming to the US

"The Windows Phone 8X by HTC is our signature Windows Phone available at AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless in the U.S. With our focus on the Windows Phone 8X by HTC, the Windows Phone 8S is not currently planned for distribution in the U.S. market."

Odd that HTC decided to skip the American market with the 8S. I thought a fair amount of people
on the internetz
liked it.

kharma45

It's actually a really nice size in the hand the 8S, just a pity about the very limited internal memory.

Apart from that it's a decent entry level phone.

MCD

Whatsapp isn't available on Windows Phone 8?!

I sent them an email requesting Broadcast feature and they replied with this:

Hi,

Thanks for your message. Sorry, WhatsApp is not fully supported on Windows Phone 8 and we cannot comment on future timelines.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. We would be happy to help!

Best / Saludos,
Max

I didn't even know it is still not WP8 compatible lol.

Man you really have to be perfect with your mp3 tagging don't you. I threw like 5 albums on my phone, ended up with 10 in Xbox music, half with no cover art. This is after spending a couple hours with mp3tag too.

well, if no carriers want to sell it, they aren't just gonna bring it over themselves...

Especially HTC, who are entirely helpless and must kowtow to every carrier on customizing everything about the phone, including it's physical appearance.

Samsung would tell the carriers to take the phone the way it is or leave it. And they would get what they want. That's what happens when you're the #1 seller of smartphones worldwide.

Whatsapp isn't available on Windows Phone 8?!

I'm using it right now. Seems like it's working ok.... but it could definitely improve in terms of switching conversations between groups etc... that back arrow to go back is a pain especially you are doing something else. You just want to quick reply someone and switch between group to reply to someone else. There's no way for me to do that without being extremely cumbersome. Hope they'll have an improve version soon... it's still using the older set of emoticons. I just came from iOS, so it's certainly different.

venne

Especially HTC, who are entirely helpless and must kowtow to every carrier on customizing everything about the phone, including it's physical appearance.

Samsung would tell the carriers to take the phone the way it is or leave it. And they would get what they want. That's what happens when you're the #1 seller of smartphones worldwide.

No wonder Samsung devices are cheap garbage.

If only they could copy Apple's build quality.

Commodore

Haha! Up late at night due to a crying baby and see this new PhotoBeamer app by Nokia on my twitter feed. Track it down in the store via my phone, go to my computer, load up photobeamer.com and scan the QR code and then some voodoo shit happens and suddenly I need to show it off to someone. Its was a total keanu reeves whoa moment. You guys are the closest thing I have at 4 in the morning. I'm now scrolling through my photo album on my phone, and seeing it on my computer in real time. Nuts! Nokia's Scalado acquisition might yield some cool stuff, case in point.

Magic picture show!

kitch9

Banned
I think my next phone will be WP8... Any news on any upcoming phones which will be running the S4 pro SOC?

Preferably smaller than say a S3 as I've got one and the size is pissing me off....

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm using it right now. Seems like it's working ok.... but it could definitely improve in terms of switching conversations between groups etc... that back arrow to go back is a pain especially you are doing something else. You just want to quick reply someone and switch between group to reply to someone else. There's no way for me to do that without being extremely cumbersome. Hope they'll have an improve version soon... it's still using the older set of emoticons. I just came from iOS, so it's certainly different.

Please tell me how? My backup phone doesn't have whatsapp and that's one of the main reasons I got the 920 now. I searched for Whatsapp in the store and didn't get any results:
ibhFet1iE5DTYb.png
I tried this guide to no avail: How to Install WhatsApp on Windows Phone 8 | TechieLobang
I don't think it's possible: WhatsApp is still available just not for Windows Phone 8 users | Windows Phone Central

:[

maeh2k

Haha! Up late at night due to a crying baby and see this new PhotoBeamer app by Nokia on my twitter feed. Track it down in the store via my phone, go to my computer, load up photobeamer.com and scan the QR code and then some voodoo shit happens and suddenly I need to show it off to someone. Its was a total keanu reeves whoa moment. You guys are the closest thing I have at 4 in the morning. I'm now scrolling through my photo album on my phone, and seeing it on my computer in real time. Nuts! Nokia's Scalado acquisition might yield some cool stuff, case in point.

Magic picture show!

From a usability standpoint that's pretty cool, but I think you need a really fast connection. My home internet isn't fast enough to slide through a number of 2 MB photos (without having tried the app).

Please tell me how? My backup phone doesn't have whatsapp and that's one of the main reasons I got the 920 now. I searched for Whatsapp in the store and didn't get any results:

I tried this guide to no avail: How to Install WhatsApp on Windows Phone 8 | TechieLobang

I don't think it's possible: WhatsApp is still available just not for Windows Phone 8 users | Windows Phone Central

I think they are still having some issues on Windows Phone 8. I set up two Windows Phone 8 phones. On one I installed Whatsapp and it worked like it should. On the other one I installed it and it failed at the step where you enter the code from the text message to activate it. I have since then uninstalled Whatsapp from that phone and wanted to reinstall it, but it's not listed in the Store any more.
I'm guessing they want to fix it first.

I installed it via the app store.

That's pretty weird... at first I thought it might be a region issue. But I just checked at the apps store and seems like it's not there anymore either. I can still see it "suggest" as I type it in... but nothing. Maybe they pulled it to fix some issues or something temporary I hope...

Wow, not having WhatsApp would've been a disaster for me. What a terrible launch. So glad that I didn't get a Windows Phone.

I think I'd rather not use WhatsApp, to be honest. The app screams "hackjob" to me. I'd rather use anything else but WeChat. Now, that's worse than WhatsApp...

To me, chat apps that I've used...

Native Facebook chat > everything else > WhatsApp >>> WeChat.

Tonza

Is there any good news aggregator app? Something like flipboard or google current? I know I could go the regular rss route.

Also the metro tube is pretty amazing app. Clearly the best youtube application I've tried on any mobile system.

MCD

Whatsapp got updated for WP7. Much faster now plus you can zoom in pictures and go back and forth between pictures in a chat.

Is there any good news aggregator app? Something like flipboard or google current? I know I could go the regular rss route.

Also the metro tube is pretty amazing app. Clearly the best youtube application I've tried on any mobile system.
You should try weave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom