• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Except thats not what i do to any instance, just this one.

i fail to see how a jerk i was in tonight situation...
I feel like i was accused of so many things tonight like being someone who dont want to discuss and many other things when its so freaking untrue.
Worse a legitimate issue on my end was masterfully ignored "because" i was immediztely accused of those things above.

I dunno what to say...
Maybe i'll just stop broswing this thread on my phone then!
Again that was not a simple reaction to jexhius post but to all the big posts that occurred today]

Kneejerk as in "automatic and unthinking," not... well, a jerk. Don't take it as a personal attack. As for concerns about (and regarding) big posts in general, well, there's always a time and place for them. Not that every image-heavy post is worth the attention or the bandwidth expended, but as a visual medium there's going to be a need for pics and sometimes this need takes on a scale similar to what you got with Jexhius's post.

BluWacky

Don't forget people, the From the New World Collection 1 comes out tomorrow!

*mutters something about it not being out in the UK yet*

No solicitation yet for part 2, is there? Big gap between releases, I assume.

(I'm not intentionally posting like Yoda...)

Cartmanlickingtears.webm

Also, Teppu is something else. lol
Cast the bad guy as the protagonist and the typical shounen protagonist as the bad guy and suddenly everything is confused. Do you cheer for the main girl? Do you cheer for the "villain"? Who knows, but good times. lol

Haha, the author should take care with that Macaco shirt, and Macaquinha.
Cordeiro>Takenaka
Ringi>Kontani
Natsuo>Eyebrows

Kneejerk as in "automatic and unthinking," not... well, a jerk. Don't take it as a personal attack. As for concerns about (and regarding) big posts in general, well, there's always a time and place for them. Not that every image-heavy post is worth the attention or the bandwidth expended, but as a visual medium there's going to be a need for pics and sometimes this need takes on a scale similar to what you got with Jexhius's post.
I understand this point .And thats why my initial post was vague and i only pointed jexhius posts as an example not as a direct cause.
that part was lost in translation.
If i was reacting to big posts all the time i would react to most of jexhius big posts and i dont do that.
Thats why i was really confused at what was the problem.

Now thank you for the explication ... i really didnt know how to take "kneejerk" since it has no default correct translation in french that explained this... i can get back to talk about anime

Anohana 3
vlcsnap-2011-05-04-11h19m55s146.png

This episode revolved a lot around character development and how these characters have and haven't changed since they were kids. It was nice to see
the whole group together by the end of the episode

Branduil

To put it another way:

Black Rock Shooter OVA is a gentle story about friendship and the emotional confusion of adolescence with some goofy vocaloid fan-thing used as a well-animated framing device.

Black Rock Shooter TV is the story of how yo I wanted to make some friends in my new school but I went to my new friend's house and then her other creepy friend who's in a WHEELCHAIR passive-aggressively bullied me using dolls and MACAROONS and then she
FELL DOWN THE STAIRS and everyone blamed my friend because they're all insane but wheelchair yandere GOT BETTER so then my friend went CRAZY because suddenly the manipulative half of her codependent relationship just forgot about her so she decides that LOPPING OFF HER HAIR IN CLASS is a good way to deal with this problem so I decide to talk with the school counselor about this and she starts CHOKING ME TO DEATH like wtf but I didn't tell anyone because idk and then I find out that my other friend WAS NEVER REAL well except she was but only in the other world and this one is a fake from the other world who switched places with the real one from this world who I never met but she actually was friends with the school counselor who choked me in the past but they stopped being friends because HER HOUSE BURNED DOWN
and also I suddenly realized I had never actually finished reading my favorite picture book and so I just found out it was actually an insane broken aesop by Franz Bonaparta but it's okay because I discovered the power of cognitive dissonancefan fiction and then lots of crazy nonsensical Freudian BS regurgitated from EVANGELION and dozens of other derivative anime happens in the other world and then everything is OKAY because we all realized that life is an unending parade of melodramatic trauma so LET'S BE IN PAIN TOGETHER.

Jarmel

Banned
To put it another way:

Black Rock Shooter OVA is a gentle story about friendship and the emotional confusion of adolescence with some goofy vocaloid fan-thing used as a well-animated framing device.

Black Rock Shooter TV is the story of how yo I wanted to make some friends in my new school but I went to my new friend's house and then here other creepy friend who's in a WHEELCHAIR passive-aggressively bullied me using dolls and macaroons and then she
FELL DOWN THE STAIRS and everyone blamed my friend because they're all insane but she GOT BETTER so then my friend went CRAZY because suddenly the manipulative half of her codependent relationship just forgot about her so she decides that LOPPING OFF HER HAIR IN CLASS is a good way to deal with this problem so I decide to talk with the school counselor about this and she starts CHOKING ME TO DEATH like wtf but I didn't tell anyone because idk and then I find out that my other friend WAS NEVER REAL well except she was but only in the other world and this one is a fake from the other world who switched places with the real one from this world who I never met but she actually was friends with the school counselor who choked me in the past but they stopped being friends because HER HOUSE BURNED DOWN
and also I suddenly realized I had never actually finished reading my favorite picture book and so I just found out it was actually an insane broken aesop by Franz Bonaparta but it's okay because I discovered the power of cognitive dissonancefan fiction and then lots of crazy nonsensical Freudian BS regurgitated from Evangelion and dozens of other derivative anime happens in the other world and then everything is OKAY because we all realized that life is an unending parade of melodramatic trauma so LET'S BE IN PAIN TOGETHER.

I'll have to set aside some time to watch this.

Gbraga

I'm having so much fun with Mangaka-san! His solution to the new rival was absolutely brilliant, hahahahaha.

The new girl is great at highlighting how stupid the mangaka is while still enabling his stupidity. I'll definitely keep up with the manga once the anime is over.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Now thank you for the explication ... i really didnt know how to take "kneejerk" since it has no default correct translation in french that explained this... i can get back to talk about anime
Ah, sorry, you know how doctors might strike your knee to see if your leg moves on reflex? That's a kneejerk.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Raise dem flags
It's really been a while since we've had one of these characters. I guess Saika from SNAFU was the last one.

Also, I think the "amazeballs" guys must have moved over to sub this episode. lol

Oh yeah, older sister type because harems gotta harem.

By virtue of being the only Monday show not selling CCGs, I guess this is something to keep watching?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I like how the Insufficient Direction anime is so full of obscure 70s and 80s anime and tokusatsu references that the entire ED is basically one giant wall of footnotes. As you'd expect from an anime about Hideaki Anno.

cnet128

Banned
Gokukoku no Brynhildr 2

oh god the
ejection
. That's a fairly cruel and cheap narrative trick,
introducing a character purely for the sake of immediately killing them off in a horrifying way
, but I can't deny it was effective.

There is definitely some heavy shit going on in this show, whether it's
the girl whose entire body is almost completely paralysed, the fact that both the main girls we've met are implied to have an inevitably short lifespan, or the fact that there's a cruel agency seeking to make their lives even shorter and kill anyone they associate with while they're at it
. And that's without even getting into how utterly "blessed with suck" these girls are, with
their power of foreseeing random individuals' deaths forcing them to struggle against unreasonable odds to change these events at a moment's notice just to avoid feeling responsible for the deaths they failed to prevent.

The more lighthearted moments could feel out-of-place in such a sombre setting, but instead I feel they work fairly naturally, because they reflect the fact that despite all the shit they have to deal with, underneath it all these girls are just normal people who would be perfectly capable of enjoying themselves like anyone else if only they could be allowed to have normal lives. And of course even the moments of humour often have a distinctly dark element to them, with things like
their excessive attachment to cake and unusual method of eating it being played as amusing, while at the same time reflecting the fact that they've been isolated from society to the point of near starvation, and in Kana's case rendered physically incapable of even eating anything normally

duckroll

I don't think I really associate Okada with "convoluted" stuff. Sure, she has written stuff which have contrived relationships, but I feel a lot of it comes with the territory of anime anyway. What I associate with her is a certain unique brand of melodrama which generally isn't very good.

When I think of female writers for anime, these days there are generally four people on my mind - Keiko Nobumoto, Reiko Yoshida, Mari Okada, and Touko Machida. I would say that all four gravitate towards writing stuff which are character driven, which shouldn't really be unexpected. The difference is that there is a huge range between the writers in terms of how they like to develop such characters and relationships.

Nobumoto is probably the most subtle of the bunch, generally telling things as they are and expecting the audience to be experienced enough to relate to the feelings and mentalities of characters and the relationships they're in simply by inferring from how they act towards different people. Macross Plus is probably Nobumoto's most "melodramatic" work, and in terms of writing probably her worst, but even there the melodrama tends to be historical baggage rather then stuff happening during the actual story. Interestingly enough, I don't think Nobumoto has ever written a straight "happy ending" story. Tokyo Godfathers is probably the closest, but even then it's more of a case of "even for people like these, there can be moments of great happiness, and then life goes on". I really like how she injects a realistic feel of the world itself, even in fantastical works.

Yoshida is much more emotive with regards to crafting scenarios where the characters basically make an audience feel a certain way, but she's a pretty uplifting writer too. There's a lot of positive energy in most of her works, and even when things go bad they tend to be good life lessons which help people carry on, rather than actual tragedy. She does seem to write a lot of stuff in general though, so sometimes it feels like she's just writing something for a paycheck, which waters down her credentials a little, but it's still pretty obvious when a show is really "Yoshida". The main traits I associate with her stories is optimism and nostalgia. Probably why firehawk is such a big fan!

Okada is a huge fan of artificial melodrama and trying to make the audience feel strong emotions for stuff that is generally unearned. That's probably my biggest problem with her work, because other than that she has shown that she's a pretty competent screenwriter. She's not inapt in pacing events or writing dialogue, but depending on how much freedom she has on the material, her preference for injecting negative traits into characters or creating a poisoned environment just to make things feel sad in an unpleasant way always feels very cheap to me. I would describe it as akin to watching someone craft fanfiction of their own work - it feels artificial, self-serving, and usually stupid compared to everything else on the show. These moments are what makes me wary of her works even when the premise is interesting and it starts off on a good note.

Machida is a writer who I first noticed in Idolmaster TV. Clearly also very competent in writing about characters and relationships in a grounded way. Able to make scenes flow without boring the audience. But unfortunately the more of her stuff I watch, and less I enjoy. She has a preference for melodrama which far outstrips Okada, and her melodrama doesn't even feel like a personal taste so much as lazy convenient writing to force characters and events into specific situations so she can hit those plot points. While Okada's melodrama feels like a crazy fangirl writing stuff while getting off on it, Machida's melodrama reminds of the lazy tragedramas which populate much of Korean TV - it's stuff targeted at housewives with low expectations who want to watch stuff "happen" and pretend to feel sad about it because they have nothing better to do. Simply awful.

Kansoku

To put it another way:

Black Rock Shooter TV is the story of how yo I wanted to make some friends in my new school but I went to my new friend's house and then her other creepy friend who's in a WHEELCHAIR passive-aggressively bullied me using dolls and MACAROONS and then she
FELL DOWN THE STAIRS and everyone blamed my friend because they're all insane but wheelchair yandere GOT BETTER so then my friend went CRAZY because suddenly the manipulative half of her codependent relationship just forgot about her so she decides that LOPPING OFF HER HAIR IN CLASS is a good way to deal with this problem so I decide to talk with the school counselor about this and she starts CHOKING ME TO DEATH like wtf but I didn't tell anyone because idk and then I find out that my other friend WAS NEVER REAL well except she was but only in the other world and this one is a fake from the other world who switched places with the real one from this world who I never met but she actually was friends with the school counselor who choked me in the past but they stopped being friends because HER HOUSE BURNED DOWN
and also I suddenly realized I had never actually finished reading my favorite picture book and so I just found out it was actually an insane broken aesop by Franz Bonaparta but it's okay because I discovered the power of cognitive dissonancefan fiction and then lots of crazy nonsensical Freudian BS regurgitated from EVANGELION and dozens of other derivative anime happens in the other world and then everything is OKAY because we all realized that life is an unending parade of melodramatic trauma so LET'S BE IN PAIN TOGETHER.

I like to see it this way:

OVA: Minutes of awesome fights.

TV: Hours of awesome fights.

So TV > OVA

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I like how the Insufficient Direction anime is so full of obscure 70s and 80s anime and tokusatsu references that the entire ED is basically one giant wall of footnotes. As you'd expect from an anime about Hideaki Anno.
The second ep was all about obscure anisongs anyway. lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I like to see it this way:

OVA: Minutes of awesome fights.

TV: Hours of awesome fights.

So TV > OVA
OVA has much more meaningful fights, while TV crushes your suspension of disbelief and leaves you laughing at the absurdity of what's going on.

Neither choice is a bad one, mind you!

Link Man

Banned
Humanity Has Declined 8

This really is a beautiful show. I mean, just look at this screenshot:

ibxZuXyME4VF6t.jpg

But it's not above pandering, it seems.

ibbCjeb4GrjP3X.jpg

Subtle

Otherwise, this was a rather interesting episode, with a surprising conclusion. Really creative.

The Assistant speaks! And utters the amazing punchline to these two episodes!

To put it another way:

Black Rock Shooter TV is the story of how yo I wanted to make some friends in my new school but I went to my new friend's house and then here other creepy friend who's in a WHEELCHAIR passive-aggressively bullied me using dolls and macaroons and then she
FELL DOWN THE STAIRS and everyone blamed my friend because they're all insane but she GOT BETTER so then my friend went CRAZY because suddenly the manipulative half of her codependent relationship just forgot about her so she decides that LOPPING OFF HER HAIR IN CLASS is a good way to deal with this problem so I decide to talk with the school counselor about this and she starts CHOKING ME TO DEATH like wtf but I didn't tell anyone because idk and then I find out that my other friend WAS NEVER REAL well except she was but only in the other world and this one is a fake from the other world who switched places with the real one from this world who I never met but she actually was friends with the school counselor who choked me in the past but they stopped being friends because HER HOUSE BURNED DOWN
and also I suddenly realized I had never actually finished reading my favorite picture book and so I just found out it was actually an insane broken aesop by Franz Bonaparta but it's okay because I discovered the power of cognitive dissonancefan fiction and then lots of crazy nonsensical Freudian BS regurgitated from Evangelion and dozens of other derivative anime happens in the other world and then everything is OKAY because we all realized that life is an unending parade of melodramatic trauma so LET'S BE IN PAIN TOGETHER.
Black Rock Shooter OVA:
1OLFI1c.jpg

Also Miyukichi and UNF designs.

Black Rock Shooter TV:
rPaYoDv.gif

To put it another way:

Black rock shooter tv is a story about suffering.
Everyone suffers from both sides of the screen..
i liked it and think im not a M
Ah, sorry, you know how doctors might strike your knee to see if your leg moves on reflex? That's a kneejerk.
I blame google translate portable

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well I found it genuinely fun. And more fun than the chunk of manga I sampled.

Though maybe I'll tire of it quickly.
Well, it's like the typical harem show. Bunch of girls + random mystery to get solved at the end of the series. Not much to get excited about on the face of it anyway. lol

duckroll

They simply lost Yuusuke Matsuo, it couldn't be helped.

I think Yusuke Yoshigaki is just as talented and has his own style. The problem is that most of the 2D work on the show was just clearly phoned in, with the emphasis placed on the 3DCG action instead. Aka: Ordet can't animate jack shit.

Quasar

I don't think I really associate Okada with "convoluted" stuff. Sure, she has written stuff which have contrived relationships, but I feel a lot of it comes with the territory of anime anyway. What I associate with her is a certain unique brand of melodrama which generally isn't very good.

When I think of female writers for anime, these days there are generally four people on my mind - Keiko Nobumoto, Reiko Yoshida, Mari Okada, and Touko Machida. I would say that all four gravitate towards writing stuff which are character driven, which shouldn't really be unexpected. The difference is that there is a huge range between the writers in terms of how they like to develop such characters and relationships.

I'm going to admit I generally don't know/follow writers, but Okada is an exception it seems and one whose a selling point for me.

I'm not sure why I don't pay attention to writers more (well aside from material thats adapted and I pay attention to the creator of the source like Yuyuko Takemiya or Mamare Touno) given its the writing stage that is mostly responsible for whether I like or dislike a show.

Shergal

I think Yusuke Yoshigaki is just as talented and has his own style. The problem is that most of the 2D work on the show was just clearly phoned in, with the emphasis placed on the 3DCG action instead. Aka: Ordet can't animate jack shit.

I'd agree, as animators. I prefer Matsuo's designs by far; I didn't care that much for the Natsu no Sora designs either.
Of course Ordet and all, so it aggravates the problem for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom