• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

There's a bird in monopoly?

Not any more.

iLjXnkWRWcMTR.jpg

Yes, and he's a main character.

Scandalous.

Gokukoku no Brynhildr 2

oh god the
ejection
. That's a fairly cruel and cheap narrative trick,
introducing a character purely for the sake of immediately killing them off in a horrifying way
, but I can't deny it was effective.

There is definitely some heavy shit going on in this show, whether it's
the girl whose entire body is almost completely paralysed, the fact that both the main girls we've met are implied to have an inevitably short lifespan, or the fact that there's a cruel agency seeking to make their lives even shorter and kill anyone they associate with while they're at it
. And that's without even getting into how utterly "blessed with suck" these girls are, with
their power of foreseeing random individuals' deaths forcing them to struggle against unreasonable odds to change these events at a moment's notice just to avoid feeling responsible for the deaths they failed to prevent.

The more lighthearted moments could feel out-of-place in such a sombre setting, but instead I feel they work fairly naturally, because they reflect the fact that despite all the shit they have to deal with, underneath it all these girls are just normal people who would be perfectly capable of enjoying themselves like anyone else if only they could be allowed to have normal lives. And of course even the moments of humour often have a distinctly dark element to them, with things like
their excessive attachment to cake and unusual method of eating it being played as amusing, while at the same time reflecting the fact that they've been isolated from society to the point of near starvation, and in Kana's case rendered physically incapable of even eating anything normally
This episode actually raised a lot of alarm in my head...
Unless there is a twist that the MC will have powers i dunno how this is not going toward
suffering for everyone
I mean : the author killed the "3moles" subplot fairly quickly despite how strong and effective it could have been and they made no hints that they could stand a chance against their ennemies.
More than that what the
other girl sees are death flag like events
The goofy parts are the only moments when the animes tries to be normal but the contrast with the rest is so .... big that it doesnt work.

Had it be any other writter i would have hope but.....

Anohana 1

Wow. What a powerful first episode. It shares some traits with Little Busters calling their own group something like Super Busters.

Anyways I think that's the first time I had the first episode of something get my eyes a little watery. I very much look forward to watching the rest if this show.

You are in for such a bittersweet treat, my friend. I really should rewatch that.
You're watching Anohana? I like it, but not nearly as much as others here. I thought it got really melodramatic at points and that ruined my full enjoyment.
I'm totally in to that sometimes, though.

Spice and Wolf - 01

Eh, an OK start. Just introduces the main characters and stuff. I'm actually anticipating the economical bits hoping that I'll like them. I remember reading that a good chunk of people didn't really care for those parts, but since I'm one of the crazies that seemed to like the political bits of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, I think I might enjoy the economic stuff. The OP and ED were fantastic, though.

duckroll

I'm going to admit I generally don't know/follow writers, but Okada is an exception it seems and one whose a selling point for me.

I'm not sure why I don't pay attention to writers more (well aside from material thats adapted and I pay attention to the creator of the source like Yuyuko Takemiya or Mamare Touno) given its the writing stage that is mostly responsible for whether I like or dislike a show.

I don't think it's unusual that most people tend to not know who writes their anime. It's sad, but pretty normal. Another issue with regards to writer familiarity is that it there are a lot of them who simply write for money, so they take on as many projects as they can, and I find that a lot of them don't really have a consistent authorial voice anymore. Especially if most of those works are generic adaptations which doesn't do anything interesting with the source material at all.

I dunno, I kind of want Eyebrows to win...

There's something else in girls fighting. Ganeko pls.
I want Natsuo to win because
she thinks she will take the smile out of Eyebrows face but that will not happen and I want to see how Natsuo will cope with this
. =D

And Natsuo is pretty well built herself and beautiful if not for her personality she would be waifu tier, I liked the art a lot, the disapointed look, the evil grin. Haha.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's something else in girls fighting. Ganeko pls.
I want Natsuo to win because
she thinks she will take the smile out of Eyebrows face but that will not happen and I want to see how Natsuo will cope with this
. =D

And Natsuo is pretty well built herself and beautiful if not for her personality she would be waifu tier, I liked the art a lot, the disapointed look, the evil grin. Haha.
I guess it'd be funny if she won. Then it really would be a complete subversion of the shounen sports arc. lol

Quasar

I don't think it's unusual that most people tend to not know who writes their anime. It's sad, but pretty normal. Another issue with regards to writer familiarity is that it there are a lot of them who simply write for money, so they take on as many projects as they can, and I find that a lot of them don't really have a consistent authorial voice anymore. Especially if most of those works are generic adaptations which doesn't do anything interesting with the source material at all.

I guess. Thinking about it, its the same with US TV for the most part, in that I'd struggle to name even maybe handful or writers (such as Aaron Sorkin). Showrunners it would be a bit easier. Part of it might simply be public profile.

duckroll

I guess. Thinking about it, its the same with US TV for the most part, in that I'd struggle to name even maybe handful or writers (such as Aaron Sorkin). Showrunners it would be a bit easier. Part of it might simply be public profile.

But in US TV... most showrunners ARE the writers. ^^;

Quasar

But in US TV... most showrunners ARE the writers. ^^;

They might be a writer, but not 'the writer'. Its rare I think that someone writes a whole show themselves. JMS being one, and even he doesn't do that all the time. So even with say Buffy, I don't really consider Whedon to be the writer, even if he did write some episodes. Showrunner roles seems more about providing an overall vision as well as wrangling the writers room.

Nafe

Harmonie

Having watched some of Yasuhiro Yoshiura's past works, such as Time of Eve, I was excited for this Anime Mirai short when I learned he would be involved. Having watched it now and I'm personally satisfied that it was mostly well done on the whole.

Thinking of his past works and the short Aquatic Language came across as almost a prototype of the more fleshed out Time of Eve in terms of its location and themes. When watching Harmonie though I personally was thinking again of Aquatic Language. Instead of talking place at a cafe, the story now mostly takes place at a school and more specifically the classroom 2-1. It's directly mentioned in the movie but just this idea of people or students interspersed across the room, however come lunch or break time, and they form little groupings based on interest or social standing and such factors. There then comes the idea of how to bridge these boundaries.

jeVLsgvgjuiF9.jpg

There's a lot of nice usage of depth of field not only to create more interesting shots but to also more visually demonstrate the idea of the separation between groups and how they come closer.

This story not only has differences in interests but perceptions amongst people as well dealing with the idea of the male character has his group of friends who seem to be interested in the more "nerd" type hobbies and the main girl and her group of friends who seem to be the more popular type.

Going back to thinking of Aquatic Language and I liked how the film touched upon the fact that there's more than one "language", such as the language of music for example. I thought it did a good job of more naturally fitting in into the story such as the main character having his little keyboard type app on his phone and later the scene with the cellphone ringtone going off. I suppose the dream is maybe the weakest part of the film or feels maybe a bit more out of place in this story. Leave it to Yoshiura to find some way to fit
robots
into the story,haha. On the one hand I still liked the imagery and how it furthers the idea of separate parties coming together but there was this idea of
why did the parents make such a big deal of it to traumatize her?
Just some things around that which upon a first viewing anyway I felt were maybe more the weaker parts of the story.

jbr8dOjH7W2ls3.jpg

While its been done in many works now, the story also seems to bring up the idea that you are always two persons and not one. There's how you see yourself and the self in how others perceive you.

It is interesting, as has been mentioned, that the story ends with
a continued misunderstanding.
Maybe the characters finally address that and we just won't be privy to it. Not just in narrative themes but it does also have other Yoshiura trademarks such as his contrast between light and shadow. ( He also used more first person camera views in his other works but honestly I don't remember how much of that there was in the film at the moment.)

The little "Yoshi!" or "Yeah!" that the two guys do complete with fist pump also made me chuckle a little as well,yeah.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting and well done piece overall. It's probably up there with other Mirai shorts such as Little Witch Academia and Wasurenagumo as one of my favorites. It's something I'd recommend everyone watch. If you haven't seen any of the Anime Mirai or Young Animators Training Project shorts yet then I'd recommend looking them up as well as looking up Yasuhiro Yoshiura's past works, such as Pale Cacoon, Time of Eve and the Patema Inverted shorts (since I don't think the full movie is out on video yet?)

duckroll

They might be a writer, but not 'the writer'. Its rare I think that someone writes a whole show themselves. JMS being one, and even he doesn't do that all the time.

Nah they're basically THE writer. The showrunner heads the writing room and makes all the major writing decisions. It's not like most anime shows are all written by one person either. There's a series composer, and usually multiple script writers.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
To be fair you could actually get a fever from an infection in an arrow wound.

This is a medium where people frequently get sick from momentary exposure to cold water. I don't exactly give shows the benefit of the doubt when it comes to understanding how germs and infection actually work.

Syrinx

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy TV 19

So yeah, I wasn't expecting that to happen at this point in the show. Thought they would hold Sasami (and Misao, for that matter) discovering that Misao was Pixy Misa until later in the show. Particularly in an episode about her dad coming back home and her being so excited to see him, only to disappear. Bet Rumiya's feeling pretty damn shitty right about now. He's going to have to redeem himself for all this at some point.

Whatever happens, just end well for Misao. She did not deserve any of the shit she's had to go through in this show.

Theonik

To be fair you could actually get a fever from an infection in an arrow wound.
Infact it was one of the leading causes of death from people inflicted with arrow wounds in the middle ages. They could get it out, the wound could heal. But should it get infected you were fucked pretty much unless you were lucky.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Infact it was one of the leading causes of death from people inflicted with arrow wounds in the middle ages. They could get it out, the wound could heal. But should it get infected you were fucked pretty much unless you were lucky.

Bad sanitation was probably the leading cause of death in general for most of human history.

Yowamushi Pedal 27

I just got done watching a drama filled episode between two boyfriends and their broken promise to each other.

There was crying, there was yelling, there was emotional flashbacks of their first encounter, and the heart shattering conclusion as they had to separate from one another knowing that the damage between them had been done.

And I loved every second of it.

Quasar

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting and well done piece overall. It's probably up there with other Mirai shorts such as Little Witch Academia and Wasurenagumo as one of my favorites.

You know being fairly unfamiliar with Mirai (I think all I've seen is this and Little Witch), I'd kind of like to hear about which ones are worth seeking out where possible.

DTL how can I trust your recommendations when I'm always wary there's yaoi and that's why you like it?

WHAT CAN I BELIEVE IN ANYMORE. I'm starting to think that HxH or Mahouka will develop yaoi.

One Week Friends - 01

Well this was actually kind nice. Was thinking it going to be rather boring since it kept me in a bit of a mystery at first, but once it actually revealed itself as essentially being
50 First Dates: The Anime
, I got interested. I like Hasei and his various responses/expressions to things, and once she opens up Fujimiya is pretty nice. But seriously, what is the permanent blush and rampant bed-heads? Is everyone in this amine sick or something?

Yowapeda Episode 27 – Toudou, God of the Mountains

Great episode if only the plot wasnt in the way. And by that I mean I think the writer kind of wrote themselves into a weird situation that will just blow all believability out the window, especially with the added touch of
Onoda still being in the same position end of episode. I just cant imagine any sort of real situation in which one goes from 176th place to catch up with their team at this point in time. The writing would have to make multiple Sohoku characters also get into some sort of bad fate scenario, or yet another accident to happen just to make it so that Onoda, who isnt like the Speedster of Naniwa not only catch up on the flat, but also ascend to the same level everyone else. I think it could have been handled differently.

The way they always do the Toudou scenes with him pointing is litrally the moments I like him best.

Death Note itself is fantastic. It's the ending people go back and forth on. I like the ending because we got one of the greatest evil laughs in anime.

Death Note is one of those shows I think the manga does better, although I only saw bits and pieces of the anime (but they were pretty important pieces).

I don't like how the anime handles
L's death. In the manga, L looks up at the smirking Light as he realizes his assumptions were right all along and he can't believe that he actually lost. In the anime you just see the two staring at each other while some slide show (I'll assume is L's life) flashes quickly by.

Also the ending is handled differently in the manga too, IIRC.
In the manga, Light sees Ryuk write his name into the Death Note, and begins to despair and beg for his life while knowing that his fate is sealed. The anime (again, IIRC) just shows him dead on the stairs. Good symbolism, but I think the catharsis is done better in the manga.

I'd have to watch the entire anime to be 100% sure though.

So, NISA has solicited the Standard Edition for Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge coming April 29th. Great! ... Except for the fact that the Standard Edition of the first season was separated into BD and DVD releases.

S1 Blu-ray: http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/KAdkQgbz-QqA9Ut9cD/browse/item/97369/4/7327/0
S1 DVD: http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/KAdkQgbz-QqA9Ut9cD/browse/item/97368/4/6294/0
S2 combo: http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/KAdkQgbz-QqA9Ut9cD/browse/item/102291/4/7327/0

Why would you do this NISA?

Isshuukan Friends 02

Still adorable.

Still look at all those blushing faces.

Still finding it extremely hard for me to not compare it with Seishun For-get!

DTL how can I trust your recommendations when I'm always wary there's yaoi and that's why you like it?

WHAT CAN I BELIEVE IN ANYMORE. I'm starting to think that HxH or Mahouka will develop yaoi.
I'm laughing ...
For both series saying more would be spoilers i guess.

Well if you watched Free! and survived you'll be fine

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, NISA has solicited the Standard Edition for Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge coming April 29th. Great! ... Except for the fact that the Standard Edition of the first season was separated into BD and DVD releases.

S1 Blu-ray: http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6...97369/4/7327/0
S1 DVD: http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6...97368/4/6294/0
S2 combo: http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6...02291/4/7327/0

Why would you do this NISA?
I feel like that's standard practice for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom