• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: Next Playstation will be call Playstation 5. More details.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Blue light of death
Red line of death
Problems with the disc drive

I think waiting for the 1st revision is a very smart idea. Launch models always have some issues.

Sure, but I am questioning the 360 analogy. Nothing was ever as big as that.

Everything since fell in line with the FTC less than 5%. The 360 was guaranteed 100% eventually due to a design flaw.

Last edited:

TheContact

The next Playstation will be called Playstation 6.

Screen-Shot-2016-09-09-at-8.44.08-PM.png

Vawn

Banned
PS5 will sold me if this happend

- No censored things
- 7 Exclusive games that are interesting to me
- Gravity rush thing
- Another Japan Studio Game
- PSN Store compatible with download Games of PS4

For me i will waiting 2 years or more to get the PS5.... With the experience of Xbox 360... i dont wanna be a hardware tester in launch day.

You are going to have to eventually come to the realization Gravity Rush is most-likely done.

Journey

Banned
I have NEVER had any problems with Playstation hardware. Only when I tried to solder and messed it up. 360 was guaranteed RRoD.

Why were you trying to solder? 😂

My 360 got the RRoD got the Red RE edition with Jasper, still use it today
Fat PS3 60GB full of problems
Fat 80GB Motorstorm edition RLoD

My first PlayStaion had issues reading discs, I used to turn it upside down and it would work lol.

Consoles break 🤷‍♂️

demigod

Why were you trying to solder? 😂

My 360 got the RRoD got the Red RE edition with Jasper, still use it today
Fat PS3 60GB full of problems
Fat 80GB Motorstorm edition RLoD

My first PlayStaion had issues reading discs, I used to turn it upside down and it would work lol.

Consoles break 🤷‍♂️

To play imports on the PS1. My PS2 that was also soldered only messed up because one of my nephew yanked the controller and it messed up the console, this was after the PS3 came out. My launch day PS3 is still working flawless.

McRazzle

The evidence used in the theory is that Pascal cards runs with the same performance Ray-tracing.

TITAN V
30-12-2018, 19:06:48 bfv.exe benchmark completed, 38930 frames rendered in 548.360 s
Average framerate : 70.9 FPS
Minimum framerate : 51.7 FPS
Maximum framerate : 97.4 FPS

RTX 2080 TI
30-12-2018, 19:21:57 bfv.exe benchmark completed, 22472 frames rendered in 317.438 s
Average framerate : 70.7 FPS
Minimum framerate : 55.3 FPS
Maximum framerate : 101.1 FPS

I at time disagreed saying the most probable is that game didn't use RT Cores but it is a theory.
Like people are making here about ray-tracing on PS4 being executed in a multi-purpose hardware unit.
Titan V has 12GB of HBM2 on a 3072 bit bus.
Originally the graphics architecture that became known as Turing had HBM2 on Nvidia's roadmap.
The higher latency of GDDR6 and narrower bus width is likely why RTX impacts Turing cards to such an extent.

Titan V has 12GB of HBM2 on a 3072 bit bus.
Originally the graphics architecture that became known as Turing had HBM2 on Nvidia's roadmap.
The higher latency of GDDR6 and narrower bus width is likely why RTX impacts Turing cards to such an extent.
Nope. Parallelizable tasks don't care about latency or bus width. GDDR6 can go up to 512-bit and still be as fast as HBM2.

cf60a17f19368f61eddb7d5cf185480e20190212183814.png

GDDR6 is more cost-effective (for now). That's all.

RTX performance will be improved when they'll be able to add more RT cores (hence the need for 7nm EUV next-year).

Lort

Banned
You might want to state what they're copying the xbox for PS5, not everyone has an xbox to know. And wtf is this about wired/wireless controller? lol

Let's see here, they confirmed HW RT, adaptive triggers, USB-Type C, and 4K UHD(which some people want). It's time for you to take off your xbox goggles.

I like how you went from PS5 RT will be software based to now no RT Cores. Next excuse will be PS5 won't have DX12 SW ray tracing. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I know it hurts you really deep, it's ok to be wrong.

I always said that its likely they both have the same hardware RT so no surprise there..( so i guess it feels good for me to be right? I dodnt really notice to be honest as its almost always the case).

A use c cable isnt innovation or exciting.. the both xbox and nintendo have dont advanced tactile ( over rumble) and devs didnt support it .. the triggers sound like whats in the xbox elite controller. 4 k uhd is like a few years too late.

All the stuff promoting engagement in the dashboard xbox has had for ages .. usually on this forum everyone hates it but i dont mind it.

Racer!

I always said that its likely they both have the same hardware RT so no surprise there..( so i guess it feels good for me to be right? I dodnt really notice to be honest as its almost always the case).

A use c cable isnt innovation or exciting.. the both xbox and nintendo have dont advanced tactile ( over rumble) and devs didnt support it .. the triggers sound like whats in the xbox elite controller. 4 k uhd is like a few years too late.

All the stuff promoting engagement in the dashboard xbox has had for ages .. usually on this forum everyone hates it but i dont mind it.

Your username means "shit" in norwegian, always cracks me up :messenger_poop:

Micolash

Neo Member
I like that they are keeping the DS mostly the same (my favorite controller) but would really like to see some kind of triggers or buttons the back of the controller, I think that will be the next (last?) true innovation on standard physical controllers.

Fitzchiv

When I got my OG PS4, I had forgot the controller having a speaker. Downloaded Resogun. The first time I heard "multiplier up" coming from my hands I almost threw away the controller because it was so surprising (and by default the volume is too high IMHO).

But yeah, all in all, I think it's a fairly harmless feature. Some gqmes make good use of it (like having the cell phone calls play from there in GTA V), others ignore it which is fine too. The hardware cost is probably minimal, so why not have it there.

Same with Dirt Rally, which was part of the bundle pack I got my PS4 in. First time I was called in to pit and the voice came from my hands I shat myself pretty much. Weirdly, as Dirt made me feel nauseous and I never played it again, I can't recall the DS4 speaker ever being notable again.

Rossco EZ

do we know anything about how it will be cooled? would they use something like the xbox one x did or would this be a bigger better fan? i might be wrong but wasn’t the xbox vapour cooled or something like that?

Kagey K

Banned
do we know anything about how it will be cooled? would they use something like the xbox one x did or would this be a bigger better fan? i might be wrong but wasn’t the xbox vapour cooled or something like that?
Does it really matter? At this point they could build it all wrong with 100 failure points and most of you are buying it,

Why should they care if you don’t?

Rossco EZ

Does it really matter? At this point they could build it all wrong with 100 failure points and most of you are buying it,

Why should they care if you don’t?
i’m just wondering what kind of solution they will use or if anything has been mentioned yet

Reactions: TLZ

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I just wish we did not had console generations. Each new box every 4-6 years should normally play all previous games.

LostDonkey

USB C cables and connectors are shit. They always fall out and dont lock into place.

Unless they have put some kind of proprietary little nubs on the male connector I can see this being a nightmare.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Exactly what is the positive news?

Do you mean copying everything the xbox dashboard does is now positive? Just checking because that would be an interesting turnaround lol

or do you mean copying the way xbox controller can be wired or wireless

... honest question

Sony are market leader right now

Why would they need to copy from xbox?

Total nonsense

Last edited:
I just wish we did not had console generations. Each new box every 4-6 years should normally play all previous games.
Sony wanted to do that. They originally just outright placed the old console's guts inside the new one, to give it BC.
But PS3 was so expensive to make, and so difficult to miniaturized, that it basically abandoned the BC until the PS5.

ZywyPL

Banned
Those 1TB SSDs do seem look like they are already waaay insufficient for next-gen titles - X1X is already receiving 100-150GB games for some time due to 4K content, TLoU2 will be 100GB as well, new COD is apparently 175GB, and all of this for THIS gen hardware, I can imagine PS5 games with all their complexity, details, etc. being quarter of TB, if not more...

TLZ

Banned
Those 1TB SSDs do seem look like they are already waaay insufficient for next-gen titles - X1X is already receiving 100-150GB games for some time due to 4K content, TLoU2 will be 100GB as well, new COD is apparently 175GB, and all of this for THIS gen hardware, I can imagine PS5 games with all their complexity, details, etc. being quarter of TB, if not more...
Yea. We already have 100+gb games this gen. I'm not sure how 100gb discs are enough. Should be 200gb to play safe. (If that's possible)

Last edited:
Sony and Microsoft copy each other a lot. It's normal.
Except, every time I see a new thread asking Sony to copy MS, it is something entirely stupid. Like always-online, no disc drive, have two different SKUs at launch, put all the exclusives on PC, etc.
These are not so much wanting Sony to copy, as to wanting Sony to justify MS's mistakes. "If both sides are always online, then Xbox One wouldn't look so bad!"

Last edited:
Well to be blunt, out of the three major console companies of today, Sony is the only one using sequential numbers. Not even Sega did that. So in many ways Sony is actual being unique in keeping their console names consistent.

SEGA had the oddest naming schemes IMHO. Though it's really hard to come up with names as cool as Dreamcast and freakin' MegaDrive. Like, listen to the sound of that. MegaDrive. That just sounds cool and badass.

And I always preferred GigaDrive over Saturn for that same reason. Just sounds awesomer.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Just saw they made a few redundancies this week on the same day they announced the PS5, as well as some executive changes to the London office.

Kinda shitty that people are losing their jobs but it sounds like they're changing focus away from Europe - not sure what that really means yet.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Sony are market leader right now

Why would they need to copy from xbox?

Total nonsense

Ask them that since they just did that.

ps i already listed the things they copied.

All in all they are GOOD things. ( although i think people may not like the dashboard changes since people tend to complain about that with xbox.)

Last edited:

Majukun

the new playstatioin will be call playstation 5

on another note the sky is blue, fire is hot and sunday comes after saturday but before monday

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ask them that since they just did that.

ps i already listed the things they copied.

All in all they are GOOD things. ( although i think people may not like the dashboard changes since people tend to complain about that with xbox.)

I'll bite. Controller wired or wireless?

Sony had this on the PS3 with the DS3 (as did the 360), and the DS4 has been doing wired on the PC. Dunno why it does not do this on the PS4 in contrast.

Piecemeal installs they did with UC3 on the PS3, and did it at launch with Killzone on the PS4 in 2013. MS with MCC. Neither console has it global in the firmware, seems Sony is going that route (which I am sure MS will, as well).

What do you mean by dashboard features? I have not seen any pics to compare.

Last edited:
4K textures will be big, granted, but we already know SSDs won't need duplication of data anymore.

But data adds up too. "If you look at a game like Marvel's Spider-Man," Cerny says, "there are some pieces of data duplicated 400 times on the hard drive." The SSD sweeps away the need for all that duping—so not only is its raw read speed dramatically faster than a hard drive, but it saves crucial space.

Video cutscenes will also migrate from H.264 to H.265 or VP9. 100GB BDXL should be enough for a while with proper management. Maybe we'll see dual disc games (200GB) sometime in 2025+.

Lort

Banned
I'll bite. Controller wired or wireless?

Sony had this on the PS3 with the DS3 (as did the 360), and the DS4 has been doing wired on the PC. Dunno why it does not do this on the PS4 in contrast.

Piecemeal installs they did with UC3 on the PS3, and did it at launch with Killzone on the PS4 in 2013. MS with MCC. Neither console has it global in the firmware, seems Sony is going that route (which I am sure MS will, as well).

What do you mean by dashboard features? I have not seen any pics to compare.

Xbox one was the first to be wireless and yet still send data via the wire when plugged in... this was requested by pro gamers who wanted to avoid wireless lag. This honestly isnt a big thing for most people.

Yup sony had incremental installs much better with ps4 than xbox .. nowdays xbox does it without any intervention from the publisher using ai.

The dashboard features are there to encorage engagement .. show u what achievement yours friends got whats going on in the community. I dunno what it looks like but in the wired article it sounds a lot like what xbox does .. it makes the screen cluttered but it is kinda useful and probably does build engagement as thats why xbox does it and sonys talking about adding it.

None of these things are amazing and all are good...

I have an iphone and know that apple copies of android ( and android used to cope of ios) .. honestly i think its good. I was glad when xbox focused more on incremental installs and game graphics and performance rather than “TV”. I also think its cool sony tried to focus on multiplayer (ie MAG) and microsoft on single player ( is Gears5) .. everyone should get to enjoy great features and genres.

I know the guy who was behind PS4 PlayGo, he used to work at ND and yes, they used Uncharted 3 & TLOU on PS3 to experiment with new delivery mechanisms.

Uncharted 3 multiple downloads was kind of a mess on the PS3 (since that console has a horrible download list, too cluttered, while the PS4 one is much better organized). The concept was interesting for sure.

What I don't understand is why Sony abandoned this strategy after a certain point, even though they clearly had it at the beginning (Killzone Shadowfall).

Uncharted 4 offers zero granularity (choose to install the SP or MP or both, choosing languages etc.)

Let me choose English-only and ignore other languages. Stuff like that would be very welcome on the PS5. 1TB SSD will fill pretty fast and QLC NAND cells means less write endurance (the less writes, the better for longevity). :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom