• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: Next Playstation will be call Playstation 5. More details.

Fake

Yea. We already have 100+gb games this gen. I'm not sure how 100gb discs are enough. Should be 200gb to play safe. (If that's possible)
Are the data inside the disc compress? Besides, people can opt for or only singleplayer, or multiplayer or both. This can adress some of the size.

McRazzle

Nope. Parallelizable tasks don't care about latency or bus width. GDDR6 can go up to 512-bit and still be as fast as HBM2.

cf60a17f19368f61eddb7d5cf185480e20190212183814.png

GDDR6 is more cost-effective (for now). That's all.

RTX performance will be improved when they'll be able to add more RT cores (hence the need for 7nm EUV next-year).

The RTX cores are used for BVH . I'm not sure how much of that is done in parallel.

This is a quote from a Battelfield V developer from a WCCFTech article.
"One of the optimisations that is built into the BVHs are our use of “overlapped” compute - multiple compute shaders running in parallel. This is not the same thing as async compute or simultaneous compute. It just means you can run multiple compute shaders in parallel. However, there is an implicit barrier injected by the driver that prevents these shaders running in parallel when we record our command lists in parallel for BVH building. This will be fixed in the future and we can expect quite a bit of performance here since it removes sync points and wait-for-idles on the GPU. "

https://wccftech.com/dice-ray-tracing-optimizations-bfv/

Hudo

Can someone who is familiar with market research and product marketing explain when it is better to use an arabic numeral (i.e. PlayStation 5) and when it is better to use a roman numeral (i.e. PlayStation V) for entertainment products (and electronic devices related to entertainment)?

Would love to hear the psychology behind why they went with the regular 5 and not with V.

Last edited:

FranXico

Can someone who is familiar with market research and product marketing explain when it is better to use an arabic numeral (i.e. PlayStation 5) and when it is better to use a roman numeral (i.e. PlayStation V) for entertainment products (and electronic devices related to entertainment)?

Would love to hear the psychology behind why they went with the regular 5 and not with V.
Because they were using arabic numerals until now, and didn't want to risk alienating the OCD audience :D. I personally prefer this way too.

Hudo

Because they were using arabic numerals until now, and didn't want to risk alienating the OCD audience :D. I personally prefer this way too.
Well, going by Occam's Razor, that might actually be the real reason, haha. Also, it doesn't help that the abbreviation "PSV" is already taken as well (even though Sony have seem to forgotten...)

Airbus Jr

Banned

More comfrtable to read PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5....

Than PSI, PS II, PS III, PS IV....

Bcos its more globally aceptable and easier to understand

Last edited:

Battlefield V failed for some reason.

I guess they could use V if they wanted to pander to feminists. V power! Thank god they didn't. :p

Market reserch aside, there are many nations where Roman Numerals are not commonly taught because there is no reason to. Many Asian countries don't care to specifically teach them at school, for example.

Roman numeral just doesn't have much reach outside Western countries.

Myths

The dev kit looks deep into the future, which is also my same thoughts on the X360 way back.

I wonder at what point did they decided to include hardware-based RT and if it was something they had planned long before RTX.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The dev kit looks deep into the future, which is also my same thoughts on the X360 way back.

I wonder at what point did they decided to include hardware-based RT and if it was something they had planned long before RTX.

It was definitely planned before RTX cards were publicly announced and released to retail.

Myths

They did have a PlayStation X as well, with built-in DVR capabilities.
5koV0j9.jpg

ywImDyT.jpg
I thought I’d seen something like this a long time ago younger, just never followed up. Wasn’t there some edgy TV advert for it too? Some guy in the city or am I thinking of something else?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I thought I’d seen something like this a long time ago younger, just never followed up. Wasn’t there some edgy TV advert for it too? Some guy in the city or am I thinking of something else?

I’m not sure, possibly. Maybe thinking of the “PS9” commercial?

Are the data inside the disc compress? Besides, people can opt for or only singleplayer, or multiplayer or both. This can adress some of the size.
Well, everything is compressed in some way, video files are compressed with either h264 (I hope h265 is more common these days), textures should be compressed with some lossless algorithm otherwise your image quality gets compromised, same for audio if it's overly compressed the quality suffers quite a lot as we have seen in recent Switch ports (you probably won't notice if you output the sound through your TV's speakers, or some cheap sound bar).

Also note that it was noted in one of Sony's presentation that in many games a lot of assets are repeated many times over to mitigate slow loading time of current gen mechanical hard drives (up to 400 times in Spider Man PS4), so some games could save a lot of space there - and probably development time too.

So it's a trade off, I'd much rather have very very big games with high quality assets, than being able to put twice as much on my HDD.

All these issues affect pretty much only the AAA games, smaller indies games don't need more than the PS4 (many would still run well on the PS360, many of the 2D ones could probably be ported all the way down to the PS1 or Saturn with minimal sacrifices).

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
WHERE did he say that they will have dedicated hardware cores for RT?
LITERALLY, everyone else always say that there are DEDICATED hardware cores, just look at nVidia for example:

"features with dedicated AI and ray tracing cores for the ultimate experience."

And MS Devs: ""but I’m definitely super excited about what the new hardware could do. Having dedicated ray-tracing hardware is huge."

Again, the word "dedicated" is KEY here. For PS5 cerny just said "ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU". Well, DUH, you could use anything to accelerate ray-tracing, that does NOT mean that there is hardware cores dedicated to do nothing, but ray-tracing.

Still dont know, why you guys don't get it?! Just think about it, if they would have had dedicated hardware cores just tracing they would should it loud AF right now from the highest mountain... like seriously, why wouldn't they? Everyone else does, if they have it... "accelerated" is just marketing bullshit, like this fake "checkerboard 4K" LOL
You guys went from saying they don't have "hardware raytracing" to they dont have "dedicated cores" wow

Journey

Banned

In reality, who's moving goal posts and revising history? Fake news?

-Real news timeline

1. Gears of War dev says he's excited about RT Cores in Scarlett

2. News spreads through forums, OMG, Scarlett will have RT cores, but quickly, Sony defensive fans jump in to say PS5 must have RT Cores as well, there's no way Scarlett will have this, but their precious PS5 won't, it's simply unfathomable to them.

3. Diligent investigative Sony Gaf gets new quote from developer stating they changed their wording about "RT cores" and are now saying hardware ray tracing support, in an effort to negate any possible advantage that Scarlett may have. Whatever it is, it's certainly NOT RT cores, but just as Sony has stated, hardware support for RT.

4. You (DeepEnigma) quickly jump on this to say Whelp, we're back at where we started, that is to say, erase what the Gears of War dev said and assume it's just traditional hardware ray tracing and not RT Cores, in other words, you're agreeing that there is a difference here, look at your own post agreeing with this.

5. At the end of the thread, we all concluded that there must be a difference between what nVidia is doing and what AMD may end up having anyway, which is in some sort RT support, but from a new patent from AMD, looks to be some sort of hybrid RT solution.

There's definitely ways to have a decent discussion about tech, I get excited about this stuff, but please leave the fanboy crap out of it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

-Real news timeline

2. News spreads through forums, OMG, Scarlett will have RT cores, but quickly, Sony defensive fans jump in to say PS5 must have RT Cores as well, there's no way Scarlett will have this, but their precious PS5 won't, it's simply unfathomable to them.

3. Diligent investigative Sony Gaf gets new quote from developer stating they changed their wording about "RT cores" and are now saying hardware ray tracing support, in an effort to negate any possible advantage that Scarlett may have. Whatever it is, it's certainly NOT RT cores, but just as Sony has stated, hardware support for RT.

4. You (DeepEnigma) quickly jump on this to say Whelp, we're back at where we started, that is to say, erase what the Gears of War dev said and assume it's just traditional hardware ray tracing and not RT Cores, in other words, you're agreeing that there is a difference here, look at your own post agreeing with this.

5. At the end of the thread, we all concluded that there must be a difference between what nVidia is doing and what AMD may end up having anyway, which is in some sort RT support, but from a new patent from AMD, looks to be some sort of hybrid RT solution.

There's definitely ways to have a decent discussion about tech, I get excited about this stuff, but please leave the fanboy crap out of it.

My whelp comment was a meta commentary (see: sarcasm, as to how these will always go back and forth on both sides).

Example, the meme I used. :pie_roffles:

Take off your selective goggles. I have always been in the camp that both consoles will have hardware based RT.

Of course it is fun to discuss this stuff, and criticism is not telling one not to.

Last edited:
wonder what wonderfull specs will be on new PSVR 2
8wkZb6jtbGnMf4gaHhENo9-1920-80.jpg

z8DAfsmm8aYGeiLDUcm7ke-1920-80.jpg
I am actually hoping Sony would employ Lighthouse technology for PSVR. This would be compatible with the patent as it uses cameras/detectors on its headset and controllers, similar to Valve headsets.

The fully inside out without lighthouse is still too expensive and unreliable.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

-Real news timeline

Sony never changed what they said about Raytracing, people tried to run with this narrative that they were talking about software raytracing and Sony came out and elaborated

Also, both consoles will be powerful and have a lot of the same technology, anyone thinking otherwise is just lost in the sauce (no pun intended)

Last edited:

scalman

PSVR 2 so now not only sensors but cameras on everything even controller . so you could see trough VR to real world as well if needed or create fake real life, imagine you looking at your own room in house but its becoming silent hill bad version of room ... would be cool

thelastword

Banned
First of all, they've already announced PS4 BC on PS5.

Second, BC has never been a deciding factor in sales in any generation. It's used much less frequently than most tend to believe.

Some people act like Xbox invented BC. PS4 was the only Sony console that didn't have full BC with previous consoles. PlayStation had BC ever since Xbox even existed. PS3's weird hardware made that difficult this gen, but PlayStation BC will be back with PS5.
Succcint…….

I would never thought that new Playstation 5 console will be called Playstation 5 , amazing name
Actually I was pretty shocked by the "PS5" naming revelation...….I mean, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4...…….So here I was thinking, what are they going to name the next gen PlayStation.....🤔

Literally..

x2VjjDw.jpg

When I saw what they named it......

That guys is really into a Journey.
Funny enough, when I first saw his name, I thought he was a huge fan of Journey from thatgamecompany……….The PS3 exclusive.....

B_Boss

Sooo I’m hoping “Deep Down” will be released (finally?) on PS5 lol? Awesome news either way and I swear I love new console generation launches and the shenanigans that come with it.

Top Bottom