• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With handhelds gaining momentum, why is Sony reluctant to get back into that marketplace especially with their 1st party studios?

FMX

Seems like they are sitting on missed opportunity. I am aware that the Vita wasn't successful but another Playstation handheld seems like a safer bet than investing heavily in VR. They have the studios to make some killer games.

Deerock71

Crazy part is, they could just pick up Vita again if they want, it's not like the tech is obsolete.
SIE being handed a Vita in 2023:
sad vincent vega GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Like i said previously, they can't compete. Nintendo has the market and mind share, Valve/ROG have the power and the games library.

They'd have to sacrifice their development studios and put them to work on mobile games or ports of PS5 titles just to even get a foothold alongside balancing their effort with studios for their home console. its another reason why vita failed, Sony put all their effort on the PS4 library and left the Vita to languish. Even Nintendo couldn't keep this up which is why they combined them into one with the Switch.

Last edited:

Fbh

Because the only way to make a competitive handheld these days would be to do the same as Nintendo and put all their games on it so they don't need to divide their software output. And I don't think current Ps5 owners and Sony first party studios want every Ps5 game moving forward to be bound to some weaker handheld hardware.

mystech

I wouldn’t count them out completely yet. Especially with the current gaming landscape and new handheld gaming PCs. Kinda odd that you can play God of War on a Steamdeck but not on an official PlayStation handheld…

If they do anything, I’d expect it to come after the PS5 Pro and I’m thinking they go 1 of 2 directions:

1. A legit successor to PSP / Vita. A stand-alone system with its own games.

2. A handheld system that can basically act as a portable PS5. Obviously they aren’t going to get PS5 level specs in a handheld but they could get something around ROG Aly level specs or better (especially if they create something custom with AMD). That would give it enough power to run most modern console games. The games would definitely need to be updated to support the system but it could allow you to buy a digital purchase and play it on both the PS5 and portable. Those who don’t have a console can still enjoy PS5 titles on the portable. Basically what the PlayStation Portal dreams to be.

Both are possible and Sony has the money to do either. A stand-alone system would need support from 1st and 3rd parties but the 2nd option would just piggyback off of the PS5 library. Seems like the easier option IMO.

L*][*N*K

Banned
A- because it isn’t gaining momentum, handheld PCs and Handheld consoles are two different things, building a console library from scratch is really hard just ask Microsoft

B- Sony games are basically on rail shooters with expensive cutscenes, that doesn’t work for handheld

Last edited:

onQ123

Because why would devs want to make a mobile game for a small platform when they can reach billions of people with the same app on smartphones & tablets?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Easy, you rarely see western devs making games for handheld, 98% of Sony's first party this gen are western games, their first party Japanese games is almost none existence.

Nintendo handheld is successful because they consistently release both first and third party Japanese games on their systems.....This is why both DS and 3DS managed to beat Sony's PSP and PSVita even tho they were less powerful.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They can just port their games to PC as they are and let the steamdeck and such do the work.
Legit. With how many Sony games are available on Steam (with more to come) the Deck is the PSP3, in spirit. the only difference is that you can now play the home versions of these games and not just portable versions of them.... those aren't inferior though. Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta can hardly be considered spinoffs with how well they replicated old GOW on a PSP.

Easy, you rarely see western devs making games for handheld, 98% of Sony's first party this gen are western games, their first party Japanese games is almost none existence.

Nintendo handheld is successful because they consistently release both first and third party Japanese games on their systems.....This is why both DS and 3DS managed to beat Sony's PSP and PSVita even tho they were less powerful.
The region of the game doesn't really matter here, a game is a game. the DS beat the PSP because it was cheaper and the touchscreen concept was extremely novel, for a lot of people. and the PSVita's failure being about the lack of Japanese games doesn't even make sense, since the Vita had even more Japanese games than the PSP or 3DS. There are a lot of visual novels and obscure japanese games on that thing.

yurinka

Why did they give up so quickly on Vita? Just seems like their hearts aren't in the handheld market any longer.
Sony quitted from handhelds because Vita didn't sell enough. There was no market for two handhelds and Nintendo was too big. And Sony and Nintendo weren't able to support two different devices that require each one its own native games.

Today the budget of a handheld game is as expensive as a home console game, but the handheld market is tiny. PC handhelds can allow it because these games are also sold in the PC market, which is huge, bigger than any console market.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The region of the game doesn't really matter here, a game is a game. the DS beat the PSP because it was cheaper and the touchscreen concept was extremely novel, for a lot of people. and the PSVita's failure being about the lack of Japanese games doesn't even make sense, since the Vita had even more Japanese games than the PSP or 3DS. There are a lot of visual novels and obscure japanese games on that thing.
My point is most western developers dont want to make games on handle, Japanese devs in other hand do, they make handheld games faaaaaaar more than western devs do, I mean majority of DS and 3DS games are Japanese, which also true with PSP and PSvita.The difference is Nintendo makes first party Japanese games on their handheld but Sony especially this gen have to solely rely on 3rd party games and from Vita failure we learned that wasn't enough to save it.

leo-j

Like i said previously, they can't compete. Nintendo has the market and mind share, Valve/ROG have the power and the games library.

They'd have to sacrifice their development studios and put them to work on mobile games or ports of PS5 titles just to even get a foothold alongside balancing their effort with studios for their home console. its another reason why vita failed, Sony put all their effort on the PS4 library and left the Vita to languish. Even Nintendo couldn't keep this up which is why they combined them into one with the Switch.
they can compete , they just felt handheld gaming was falling apart due to tablets and mobile gaming. They weren’t wrong,

DS + PSP sold like 230 Million
3DS + vita like 100 million

(psp sold 80 + million vita sold 15 million ish)

.Switch is the Wii/DS market put into one device, Wii sold 100 million, 3DS 80 million ish and switch will not reach 180 million. They aren’t wrong about handheld gaming being a harder market to be as successful in, and tbh why create a system with seperate software when they are making more money off of ps plus and putting their eggs on console and pc ports.

Side note: If they can get the portal to do 5G and stream ps5 and play mobile games they would have a good product. But rn they may just be testing the waters with the portal accessory.

Last edited:
Oh hell no. The last thing we want is Sony's studios to split their attention between multiple hardware...or do what Nintendo does: weaker hardware to make a hybrid console. A literal nightmare. Both scenarios would suck.

Principal

Sony quitted from handhelds because Vita didn't sell enough. There was no market for two handhelds and Nintendo was too big. And Sony and Nintendo weren't able to support two different devices that require each one its own native games.

Today the budget of a handheld game is as expensive as a home console game, but the handheld market is tiny. PC handhelds can allow it because these games are also sold in the PC market, which is huge, bigger than any console market.
Nah it was because the memory cards were ridiculously overpriced and the lack of games the first two years. Had Sony secured Monster Hunter 4 and allowed us to use our own memory cards or at least not have to pay like half the console for a decent memory card then I bet we'd sing a different tune.

yurinka

Nah it was because the memory cards were ridiculously overpriced and the lack of games the first two years. Had Sony secured Monster Hunter 4 and allowed us to use our own memory cards or at least not have to pay like half the console for a decent memory card then I bet we'd sing a different tune.
No, it was because there wasn't enough market for it.

Not enough people bought it because there wasn't enough great games for it, so devs like Capcom didn't want to put there games like Monster Hunter 4 because there was no market for it to make it profitable.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Handhelds are gaining momentum?
they were growing since 2020 with all the new emulation handhelds popping up, then the Steam Deck spawned a wave of new PC handhelds. The Switch still remains the king in terms of popularity but more people have found their eyes on non nintendo systems.

They aren’t wrong about handheld gaming being a harder market to be as successful in, when they are making more money off of ps plus and putting their eggs on console and pc ports.
You know what else is a PC? one that's portable and fills the gap for a powerful portable that can play console quality games that Sony had in the past?

The Steam Deck! That's why this whole portable thing isn't important to Sony no more. Valve already filled that niche and Sony doesn't have to take a risk on their dev studios and hardware resources when they can simply just release a PC port of one of their exclusives years later, optimized for Steam Deck, and basically have a handheld in that. Whether or not they could survive in the market today, they have no reason to go back.

Principal

No, it was because there wasn't enough market for it.

Not enough people bought it because there wasn't enough great games for it, so devs like Capcom didn't want to put there games like Monster Hunter 4 because there was no market for it to make it profitable.
Wrong, Nintento payed for the exclusive, that's why MH3 came out on Wii and then 4 on DS, and DS proves your statement wrong, because DS sold a ton while the PSvita lost tons of tractions, in fact in the beginning they were neck and neck, once MH4 came out it was a wrap, Sony did their best to push MH clones for a reason but alas, don't ask me, a previous Vita owner, who bought 2 of them so he could play with his brother.

Gamerguy84

Well thus is a handheld. One that costs $199. Remote play has proven to work great so whatever game you have on your PS5 you also have on this.

I have the highest PS plus tier and thr games I own so that can literally be over 500 games I'll have access to on it. I pre-ordered it. Now I do realize everyone on gaf has canceled psplus and ordered a PC so this applies to me only.

No first or third party dev has to make a separate version. It just works.

Raonak

Banned
Because they need entire new developement for team and it will deivide up the resource.

This.

Both sony and nintendo struggled with supporting development for 2 different platforms. Usually one platform was left behind (GC/Wii/WiiU for nintendo, and PSP/Vita for sony)

So both have decided to focus their development efforts on only one.
Nintendo went with making a handheld that can be used as a console.
And Sony went with a console that can be used as a handheld.

Principal

This.

Both sony and nintendo struggled with supporting development for 2 different platforms. Usually one platform was left behind (GC/Wii/WiiU for nintendo, and PSP/Vita for sony)

So both have decided to focus their development efforts on only one.
Nintendo went with making a handheld that can be used as a console.
And Sony went with a console that can be used as a handheld.
I wouldn't count in GC or PSP in that, they had great games in them. But yes, you are correct, they would have to split the resources. They should've made the Vita a indie console, promote more indie games on there and allow it to eat that market but alas.

Klosshufvud

We have great PC handhelds now so I don't really care anymore if Sony made a new handheld. The Vita was great. I loved it. But handhelds being so dependant on one company's support just make them non-viable to me now. I want freedom to do whatever I want. Even if that means there is jank.

Robb

Gold Member
Seems pretty obvious they’re unable to/unwilling to invest enough to fully support another platform.

They just left Vita to die and their recent VR efforts aren’t much better from what I can tell.

Ozriel

M$FT
Seems like they are sitting on missed opportunity. I am aware that the Vita wasn't successful but another Playstation handheld seems like a safer bet than investing heavily in VR. They have the studios to make some killer games.

A missed opportunity to make a handheld PC that will funnel 95% of the benefits to Valve?

Or to make a walled garden, ARM handheld that will split focus for their developers, putting them in the same situation Nintendo found themselves before they unified everything with the Switch?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm surprised they havent made more mobile games. As for a dedicated portable, I think Sony just gave up and doesn't want to split focus across a console and portable.

But their Grand Fate Order game has made billions. That game is oddly under their music division, but it doesn't matter because gaming is gaming and big profits are their for the grabbing in the giant mobile market.

Maybe some of those 10 GAAS games under development are aimed at mobile.

killatopak

You know the reason why Nintendo consolidated their studios into one hardware is the same reason Sony scrapped Vita right? They seem to be both doing well with this strategy. Not saying it isn't possible but they improved massively doing away with each of their other product line that they have to have a compelling reason to go back.

Cyborg

In my opinion, you need focus. You can't support a home console and a handheld, you need to make a choice. You want to have unique experiences and this costs a lot of resources. I think it is a wise strategy as you see that Nintendo is also backing off from doing a separate handheld and home console.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Having 2 separate SKUs that are vastly different in power dilutes game development and resources. It becomes a mess.

Sony should stay away from having a handheld gaming device that runs games natively. However, they need to make sure that their upcoming PlayStation Portal device also streams PS1-PS5 from the Cloud after seamlessly integrating with PS Plus.

That should take care of it.

Hudo

Because their first-party studios already struggle to support PSVR2 and PS5 with a steady stream of games already. Sony just don't have the infrastructure and developer capacities necessary to support another platform. If they decided to do a "PS5 Portable", they would need to scale down graphics significantly to make these games run in an acceptable manner for a portable device, which defeats the purpose of PS5 since it's being marketed as the "4K ultimate graphics and audio" console.

Let Sony work on supporting the PSVR2 and PS5 first.

The PS6 is around the corner.It’s more expensive than ever to make AAA games.If Sony would release a new Portable it would be powerful like steamdeck or even more.That’s PS4 graphics at 1080 a PS4 games like uncharted costs around 50-80 million to make.Naughty dog themselves can not make it because then there development for Ps5 and PS6 games would stand stil.
If they would lend their games to other developers then people would bxtch when it’s not an 95 metacritic score and would moan that the game was made by their b and c teams or some no name developer.
And people would bxtch and say you are already making PS4 like graphics on your handheld why not release them for PlayStation 5 and 6 with higher res and ray trancing this and that the bxtching wouldn’t stop by pricks and brats.
And again the most important part their studios can’t make a ps6 game and ps4 game and the same time if they would use the portable game as beginning guess what your 80 TFlops ps6 games will look like 5 TFlops games with effects add to them.Why buy a ps6 why is there even a ps6 if that were the case.

GymWolf

Thank fucking god they don't.

They are already wasting talents on multyplayer and gaas project, i don't want my AAA simgoe player games to be made by an ever smaller and fragmented team.

Last edited:
"Handhelds gaining momentum"

What momentum? Nintendo's handhelds have always sold well

Steam Deck? Ally? A couple million in sales is no evidence that any handheld Sony releases will hit 50 million+ or what they would find acceptable. There's no reason for Sony to release another handheld without major reconstruction to SCE

Last edited:

The Shepard

I only see it work if it's a portable PS4 which plays all PS4 digital games. Maybe there testing the waters with the Playstation Portal.

Top Bottom