• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Microsoft potentially going third-party, what will Nintendo do in response?

Deft Beck

Nintendo has always operated in their own lane, but they can't ignore the sea change in the high-end console market now.

Are they going to stay where they are with Switch 2 (and likely a Switch 2 Lite later), or will they stratify their console offerings to take advantage of the new market situation?

Plus, I think that with Sony toying around with a new handheld, as well as pressure from the Steam Deck, Nintendo will have to bolster their offerings to properly compete.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Happy Music Video GIF by DJ Mustard

Nintendo has to do something? with Mario Pixar, Mario Kart 9, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon, etc... I would already be printing money as always on Switch 2.

//DEVIL//

They will release a Mario Kart 8 super super deluxe for 69.99.

And it will sell more than Xbox games all together.

What do u mean response they have nothing to response to.

Maybe an tweet saying we welcome MS games on Nintendo hardware.

But they don't even care

Shifty1897

You act as if only Sony benefits from Microsoft going third party. Switch 2 is coming this year and will probably run a lot of these games better than an Xbox One does.

angrod14

If the Switch failed the same way the Wii U did, I'm sure they would be doing the same MS is doing now with the Xbox.

Saber

Gold Member
Theres a straight line between insanity and idiocy.

So I'm sorry if this sounds kinda rude, but thinking that Nintendo will do something because Microsoft failed miserably falls to the idiocy side.

Last edited:

Davevil

Nintendo has always operated in their own lane, but they can't ignore the sea change in the high-end console market now.

Are they going to stay where they are with Switch 2 (and likely a Switch 2 Lite later), or will they stratify their console offerings to take advantage of the new market situation?

Plus, I think that with Sony toying around with a new handheld, as well as pressure from the Steam Deck, Nintendo will have to bolster their offerings to properly compete.
What pressure from the Steam Deck ? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What pressure? Didn't Steam Deck only sell like 3-4 million units? Switch has sold like 40 times that.

As much as I loved my Vita, no way a Sony handheld can compete with the Switch 2. Vita couldn't even compete with the 3DS when the Nintendo library was split.

Mowcno

Why?

Honestly if Xbox were to even leave the console market completely it would have very little effect on Nintendo's business.

Crayon

Maybe they'll try to make switch to capable enough to get third-party games without miracle ports. Before this news, which they probably had a little bit of a leg up on, there was already a ton of green flight and it would be a little stupid to let them all go to PlayStation without trying at least something.

Killjoy-NL

All Nintendo has to do is reject GP and keep 3rd party support.

They'll be fine if they continue the path they took with Switch.

meech

Why should they change anything as long as they are having success?? At best we can get an Dock with a middle range external Gpu inside, thats it.

Last edited:

Fbh

I don't know man.
There's a slim chance MS might be in a different position if their most recent console sold 130+ million units and their first party software consistently launched to stellar reviews and outsold almost everything else in the industry.

Also people online vastly overestimate the popularity of the Steam Deck. It's a cool device for sure but estimates were talking about it reaching 3 million sales by the end of 2023, almost 2 years after launching.
Switch 2 will sell that many units in like 3-4 months

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
What pressure? Didn't Steam Deck only sell like 3-4 million units? Switch has sold like 40 times that.

As much as I loved my Vita, no way a Sony handheld can compete with the Switch 2. Vita couldn't even compete with the 3DS when the Nintendo library was split.

I'm not sure.

Imagine a portable PS5 that plays every game in your PS library? That would sell insane numbers.

Top Bottom