• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 04•08-10•16 - Melissa (not Martha) puts end to Bats v Supes sausage fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamz

Last year, Universal set a studio record by taking 21.3% of the total domestic box office.

I don't see how Disney fails to top that this year. They are already over $600M almost entirely off the back of Zootopia and leftover TFA business.

Might be the first time we see a single studio grab a quarter of the domestic box office.

Oh, for sure. JB is out next weekend should continue the gravy train.

Anth0ny

Say it with me slowly...

An R-rated cult comic book character, last seen in the critically reviled X-men Origins: Wolverine film, portrayed by the exact same actor coming off a string of colossal bombs - including both Green Lantern and R.I.P.D. - with no 3D ticket surcharge, a leaked script and leaked concept footage, that Fox had so little faith in they sat on it for over 14 years and slashed the budget to rock-bottom (basically the whole film costs double the salary that just Keanu Reeves himself was paid for the Matrix sequels), and launching in February - often a dumping ground for so-so films...

... Is going to beat BATMAN, SUPERMAN, and WONDER WOMAN... COMBINED... at the domestic box office.

Let it really, truly sink in.

it truly boggles the mind.

and

it'll probably beat it worldwide if you subtract bvs's china take. deadpool was not released in china.

KonradLaw

With Deadpool's success and after Civil War hits and becomes a hit it will become obvious noting can bury a superhero. Even after diseasters like X-Men: Origin and ASM2 people are willing to love those characters as long as the next movie does them right.

With Deadpool's success and after Civil War hits and becomes a hit it will become obvious noting can bury a superhero. Even after diseasters like X-Men: Origin and ASM2 people are willing to love those characters as long as the next movie does them right.

That bodes wells for DC, at the very least.

xaosslug

Say it with me slowly...

An R-rated cult comic book character, last seen in the critically reviled X-men Origins: Wolverine film, portrayed by the exact same actor coming off a string of colossal bombs - including both Green Lantern and R.I.P.D. - with no 3D ticket surcharge, a leaked script and leaked concept footage, that Fox had so little faith in they sat on it for over 14 years and slashed the budget to rock-bottom (basically the whole film costs double the salary that just Keanu Reeves himself was paid for the Matrix sequels), and launching in February - often a dumping ground for so-so films...

... Is going to beat BATMAN, SUPERMAN, and WONDER WOMAN... COMBINED... at the domestic box office.

all this and no China to boot...

I was hoping Zootopia would surge back up to #1 just because it would be hilarious for BvS to be bested by a cartoon bunny movie that's in its second month of release. Oh well, Melissa McCarthy is the next best thing I guess.

Before release i thought BvS was locked to make at least a billion. Not in a million years i thought the movie won´t make a billion.
Holy shit at Zootopia still.

Title is nice.

No way that BvS total doesn't drop when actuals come in.

Jeff Goldstein is a mess.

t2lMqXq.gif
Nasty guy.

He's a nasty guy.

Jeff is a nasty guy.

CassSept

These bo threads are like SW threads in reverse. Every next record beaten by SW was amazing. Every next record beaten by BvS is, well... it is amazing for sure.

If The Jungle Book blows up, Batman v Superman might not even make enough to crack the Disney Top 5 for the year worldwide.

Is it plausible Alice Through the Looking Glass beats it too? I see no hype for the movie but for some perplexing reason the last Alice did make over a bil. Then again, it benefited from being a 3D movie released immediately after Avatar, but was that all the appeal the movie had?

....and it's not even the strongest year for Disney.

LeonSPBR

Say it with me slowly...

What a time to be alive!

Ushay

Well said. Never say never.

Concept17

Say it with me slowly...

I love it.

Say it with me slowly...

We live in beautiful beautifully beautifullistic times.

Marvel won.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Say it with me slowly...

Well, for one: DC superheros haven't been really "popular" with most folks in like... decades. I haven't heard anyone go "have you read the newest Superman comic!?" or anything like that beyond Batman for DC in ages.

Second: Deadpool > DC's entire line-up bar Batman, anyway.

Well, for one: DC superheros haven't been really "popular" with most folks in like... decades. I haven't heard anyone go "have you read the newest Superman comic!?" or anything like that beyond Batman for DC in ages.

I love that we've now reached this point where Deadpool making more money than BvS domestic is a "well, duh!" 20/20 hindsight thing when literally NOBODY would've argued that 6 months ago

what a time to be alive

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I love that we've now reached this point where Deadpool making more money than BvS domestic is a "well, duh!" 20/20 hindsight thing when literally NOBODY would've argued that 6 months ago

what a time to be alive
The Age of DC is done.
Should sell their rights to Marvel.

what a time to be alive

Same thing happened with Guardians of the Galaxy.

And Avengers.

And Iron Man, actually.

faridmon

I wasn't as entertained by the Deadpool movie as many of you were but I love the fact that it was so successful.

I am so happy for Ryan Raynolds

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
The Age of DC is done.
Should sell their rights to Marvel.

Warner Bros. and DC just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about comic book film culture (I'm an expert), but origin stories and recasts are huge parts of it. It's not like it is at Marvel where you can become successful by quipping 100 times an hour. If you screw someone over at Warner Bros, you bring losses to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that loss is by firing Snyder.

What this means is the comic book film audience, after hearing about this, is not going to want to watch Wonder Woman, Aquaman or Flash, nor will they purchase any of Warner's extended cuts. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Warner has alienated an entire market with this move.

Warner, publicly apologize and cancel the Justice League or you can kiss your business goodbye.

ItIsOkBro

Say it with me slowly...

Is there a way for me to like, send this post to DC. I want them to read it.

Bronx-Man

Banned

Our good friend Devin Faraci brought up a interesting point the other day: the new Black Panther comic is probably the biggest thing to appeal to non-comic readers since Death of Superman. Marvel knows to get hype behind their characters.

Batman v Superman's run is pretty much done at this point, the drops say it all. It won't make it to a billion but it did well for an average movie (as a DC fan, I'm still so disppointed it wasn't the epic movie it should have been)

Ross61

Warner Bros. and DC just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about comic book film culture (I'm an expert), but origin stories and recasts are huge parts of it. It's not like it is at Marvel where you can become successful by quipping 100 times an hour. If you screw someone over at Warner Bros, you bring losses to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that loss is by firing Snyder.

What this means is the comic book film audience, after hearing about this, is not going to want to watch Wonder Woman, Aquaman or Flash, nor will they purchase any of Warner's extended cuts. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Warner has alienated an entire market with this move.

Warner, publicly apologize and cancel the Justice League or you can kiss your business goodbye.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MY GOD

Is there a way for me to like, send this post to DC. I want them to read it.

You mean WB.

DC is the comics division. Which is fucking up in their own weird ways.

However, as I'm fond of pointing out, the idea there's any real strong separation between Marvel & DC is sorta silly considering about 70-80% of their staffs consist of people who have worked for the other company at one point or another (and again and again) in the last 30 years. Editors, writers, artists, straight down the line. Which makes sense as the characters everyone's working with are all slightly warped mirror images of each other anyway, so why not have everyone just hop the fence from one company to another to work on the same people wearing slightly different tights.

The failures here belong to the director, and the execution of his particular vision. Not the completely separate division of the same media conglomerate.

tomtom94

And Captain Marvel now has a strong possibility to make more money than Wonder Woman.

We in Bizarro world homie and I don't know if that's good or bad.

That requires Captain Marvel to actually get made and not just delayed again. (I really, really hope Marvel are close to nailing down a writer/director for Captain Marvel)

3N16MA

Banned
Many of these characters being presented to an audience that has a faint knowledge of their history. These films are where the average person learns more about these characters than any comic. Presenting an audience with a solid film that creates positive WoM holds more importance than whatever legacy status these characters have. It's what makes for BO hits.

Cap topping Wonder Woman is not a surprise. Outside of a 70s TV show, how much impact has WW had on the average person over the last 40 years? Whatever she does in comics does not make a dent with the average person. Marvel has done a very good job in getting the average person to like the character. They have produced two well reviewed and liked films. That matters more than WW being a bigger player in the DC universe than Cap in the Marvel universe. Matters more than WW being a bigger icon more than 40 years ago.

Superman is a bigger icon than Deadpool. That being said the average person does not care about Superman's importance and place in comics. Maybe if this was 50 years ago they would care. Deadpool killed it with its marketing, received solid reviews, created positive WoM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom