• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 04•08-10•16 - Melissa (not Martha) puts end to Bats v Supes sausage fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody really cares about any of these characters' standings in the comics community anymore. Nor should they. The appeal of the characters (even when unknown) and the targeted audience has't ever been the 200,000+ monthly subscribers.

What they care about is whether the powers are cool, the character wielding them is cool, and the story in which they get to be cool is cool in and of itself.

I mean, people still don't know that Men in Black is a comic-book movie, yunno?

However: They do need a brand to leverage. Marvel's managed to make their logo that brand, so that it literally doesn't matter who they cough up, so long as that story is there, people will check it out. WB has managed to fuck that up in the space of time between Dark Knight Rises and now.

Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman are chances to rehab that a little. Gonna be hard to build that trust back up though. And that's not because of the characters and their relative popularity, but because people don't trust that WB shield to make the DC logo look good.

3N16MA

Banned
Nobody really cares about any of these characters' standings in the comics community anymore. Nor should they. The appeal of the characters (even when unknown) and the targeted audience has't ever been the 200,000+ monthly subscribers.

What they care about is whether the powers are cool, the character wielding them is cool, and the story in which they get to be cool is cool in and of itself.

However: They do need a brand to leverage. Marvel's managed to make their logo that brand, so that it literally doesn't matter who they cough up, so long as that story is there, people will check it out. WB has managed to fuck that up in the space of time between Dark Knight Rises and now.

Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman are chances to rehab that a little. Gonna be hard to build that trust back up though. And that's not because of the characters and their relative popularity, but because people don't trust that WB shield to make the DC logo look good.

USYbSIk.jpg

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Well, for one: DC superheros haven't been really "popular" with most folks in like... decades. I haven't heard anyone go "have you read the newest Superman comic!?" or anything like that beyond Batman for DC in ages.

This is completely ridiculous.

Noticed The Boss was in a premium large format theater when I saw Midnight Special. BvS only has the imax and two small screens for 2d and 3d.

Midnight Special was also really good. I mean really, really good.

Nokterian

Say it with me slowly...

An R-rated cult comic book character, last seen in the critically reviled X-men Origins: Wolverine film, portrayed by the exact same actor coming off a string of colossal bombs - including both Green Lantern and R.I.P.D. - with no 3D ticket surcharge, a leaked script and leaked concept footage, that Fox had so little faith in they sat on it for over 14 years and slashed the budget to rock-bottom (basically the whole film costs double the salary that just Keanu Reeves himself was paid for the Matrix sequels), and launching in February - often a dumping ground for so-so films...

... Is going to beat BATMAN, SUPERMAN, and WONDER WOMAN... COMBINED... at the domestic box office.

Let it really, truly sink in.

giphy.gif

A redemption for ryan reynolds guess how he feels reading all of this if he is reading it. And i liked deadpool a lot went to 2 times can't wait for the VHS and Laserdisc to arrive!

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Only WB and Zack Snyder can make sure that a movie containing two of most iconic brands known worldwide not hit even 900 million, that too in this day and age.
Good going retards. Ruined the whole DC plate. I was hoping for a different angle than the Marvel joke-filled cliche fests, but by God do they look better now than whatever WB/DC/Snyder have got.

Ridley327

The Mask was also a comic. It is nothing like the movie.

Neither was Men in Black. They investigated all sorts or supernatural disturbances beyond the extraterrestrial, they had a more lax and murderous policy on how to silence witnesses, and I think it wound up on some X-Files tract about the group being more of a shadow government than a line of defense.

The Mask was also a comic. It is nothing like the movie.

I just read the omnibus recently and it's actually surprisingly similar to the movie. All the characters are there and the plot of the first story is almost exactly the same. They just replaced the violence with some Tex Avery antics.

When does dat Marvel check clear, bro?

Tace

Many of these characters being presented to an audience that has a faint knowledge of their history. These films are where the average person learns more about these characters than any comic. Presenting an audience with a solid film that creates positive WoM holds more importance than whatever legacy status these characters have. It's what makes for BO hits.

Cap topping Wonder Woman is not a surprise. Outside of a 70s TV show, how much impact has WW had on the average person over the last 40 years? Whatever she does in comics does not make a dent with the average person. Marvel has done a very good job in getting the average person to like the character. They have produced two well reviewed and liked films. That matters more than WW being a bigger player in the DC universe than Cap in the Marvel universe. Matters more than WW being a bigger icon more than 40 years ago.

Superman is a bigger icon than Deadpool. That being said the average person does not care about Superman's importance and place in comics. Maybe if this was 50 years ago they would care. Deadpool killed it with its marketing, received solid reviews, created positive WoM.

You touched on something I've been wondering myself. It is 2016, and WW, Aquaman, etc, aren't growing in popularity. At the rate Marvel is killing it, how soon before Ant-Man is more of a household name than Wonder Woman? Is this even possible? Before BvS I would've said no but now...

To be fair I bet he's still box office poison. Watch his next non Deadpool movie flop

Yeah, happens to a lot of actors who get really known well in a specific roll. Johnny Depp's movies tend to do feck all outside of Pirates. Even RDJ has trouble getting a hit outside of Iron Man or Sherlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom