• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 04•08-10•16 - Melissa (not Martha) puts end to Bats v Supes sausage fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tarzan will be glorious and a box-office success for WB. Just you watch Bobby!

tumblr_nz5kzomkeD1uy77ajo1_500.gif
Nothing says "Happy Fourth of July!" like a visit to the savage jungle.

3N16MA

Banned
So I think I am rooting for Suicide Squad to pass BvS domestically now. It's a long shot, but the marketing has been great so far, WB needs a win, and it would be funny to see BvS miss the superhero top 3 this year given that Civil War vs BvS vs Rogue One thread we had a few months ago.

Hopefully Suicide Squad is decent.

It's been pushed back 2 years now. Oct 2018.

Said it before BvS was released that I'm more hyped for SS. Would be amazing if it topped BvS.

The marketing has been excellent with the last two trailers.

3N16MA

Banned
I will jump off the Tarzan bomb wagon and hop onto the Tarzan success wagon. Anyone want to join me? Plenty of room.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Come the day of release:

"We, at WB, expect Tarzan to generate revenue exceeding both In the Heart of the Sea and Pan - a win in our books. We’re also on track to win the weekend with the highest opener for Alexander Skarsgard." Jeff Goldstein

kswiston

Come the day of release:

"We, at WB, expect Tarzan to generate revenue exceeding both In the Heart of the Sea and Pan - a win in our books. We’re also on track to win the weekend with the highest opener for Alexander Skarsgard." Jeff Goldstein

"Expected profits also eclipse those brought in by John Carter, making this the most successful Edgar Rice Burroughs adaptation of the 21st century!"

lol what? My goodness. And that shit is depressing, good luck with that family appeal

I don't even think the book character had a name, so I doubt they can call her Ariel. Also, Chloe Moretz is currently attached as the lead. Box Office recipe for success!

3N16MA

Banned
Come the day of release:

"Expected profits also eclipse those brought in by John Carter, making this the most successful Edgar Rice Burroughs adaptation of the 21st century!"

I hope the fake Jeff Goldstein statements never end.

BLACKLAC

I will jump off the Tarzan bomb wagon and hop onto the Tarzan success wagon. Anyone want to join me? Plenty of room.

180 million budget, opening same day against BFG with ID:R a week earlier? I like the main dude from True Blood but damn.

rooting against Tarzan tbh. BFG got SpielGod and the et screenwriter and mark rylance behind it.

goofy ass trailer though but surely it can't be a bad film...right?

Lebron

I don't even think the book character had a name, so I doubt they can call her Ariel. Also, Chloe Moretz is currently attached as the lead. Box Office recipe for success!

It's times like these where I think I picked the wrong career path.

vinnygambini

"Disney wishes it had the creative breath of WB. For our overseas segment, The Legend of Tarzan has outperformed Disney's animated Tarzan opening weekend by a multiple of 2 in Sweden. We expect the momentum to continue."

kswiston

"Disney wishes it had the creative breath of WB. For our overseas segment, The Legend of Tarzan has outperformed Disney's animated Tarzan opening weekend by a multiple of 2 in Sweden. We expect the momentum to continue."

"The Jungle Book Origins explodes in its first frame, tripling the opening weekend of Disney's live action Jungle Book Remake*!"

* $5.1M on Dec 25-27th 1994.

vinnygambini

Come the day of release:

Hahaha you guys need to start a parody Twitter

kswiston

Dead

Side note, China seems to be digging The Jungle Book.

https://twitter.com/ChinaBoxOffice/status/719365016282144772

There was some talking in BOT's China thread about the prospect of everything put out by Disney in China this year topping BvS.

I am not sure what they plan on releasing, but my guess would be TFA, Zootopia, Jungle Book, Civil War, Finding Dory, Doctor Strange, and maybe Through the Looking Glass or Moana.

with only 34 slots for foreign films, their entire slate isn't going to make it over. I assume Rogue One will be Jan of the following year again.

isn't Purge 3 also releasing then? And the last 2 opened $34m & $29m... there is clearly an audience there...

Purge 3 will hopefully do pretty well, but it's never going to be a smash hit. Anything about $40M would be a wild success, and it really only needs to worry about Tarzan in terms of stealing the audience.

Marketing has been killing kill it so far, though. The mindshare will be there come July.
Especially if the GOP Convention gets violent.

Chichikov

If there's one thing that's been burning up the box office charts in recent years, it's films based on early 20th century sci fi/fantasy novels!
Good thing that Disney made damn sure nothing that was written after Mickey Mouse will ever enter the public domain.
So yeah, expect more Tarzans and Jungle Books (both are by the way terrible books).

vinnygambini

There was some talking in BOT's China thread about the prospect of everything put out by Disney in China this year topping BvS.

I am not sure what they plan on releasing, but my guess would be TFA, Zootopia, Jungle Book, Civil War, Finding Dory, Doctor Strange, and maybe Through the Looking Glass or Moana.

with only 34 slots for foreign films, their entire slate isn't going to make it over. I assume Rogue One will be Jan of the following year again.

How many slots left on the 34 foreign film rule?

What's left from the studios for China seems:

Disney: Jungle Book, Civil War, Finding Dory, Doctor Strange

Paramount: TMNT 2, Jack Reacher & Star Trek

20th: X-men, Independance Day & Ice Age

WB: Tarzan, Suicide Squad & Fantastic Beast

Universal: Huntsman, Warcraft, Bourne

Sony: Ghostbusters, (Underworld or Passengers maybe too?)

munchie64

Good thing that Disney made damn sure nothing that was written after Mickey Mouse will ever enter the public domain.
So yeah, expect more Tarzans and Jungle Books (both are by the way terrible books).
Fuck Disney for that shit. Entertainment world would be a different place.

You mean american publications. I'm pretty sure Hobbit and LOTR will enter public domain in 2045 or something, and so will Harry Potter long after JK Rowling passes away.

Anyways, Disney gets a lot of shit for this, but other companies also lobby for copyright extension acts (i.e. Superman is supposed to enter public domain in 2033, Batman in 2034, something Warner wants to avoid), so in 2019 or so, ~4 years before MM rights are set to expire and Disney starts lobbying for further changes to the copyright act, expect other media giants and publishers to lobby as well.

Me personally I go back and forth on what's the right thing there, but I don't wanna turn this into a political discussion.

There are two different Jungle Book movies coming from different studios in the next few years? That's news to me. Why is WB also making their own Jungle Book (which will show up super late to the party)? That doesn't seem like a common thing to studios to do.

IIRC WB had their Jungle Book announced earlier and Disney just wanted to release it earlier, so they kinda fast tracked the movie.

Crocodile

There are two different Jungle Book movies coming from different studios in the next few years? That's news to me. Why is WB also making their own Jungle Book (which will show up super late to the party)? That doesn't seem like a common thing to studios to do.

tbf, nobody even knows who Cyborg is

Dwayne McDuffie was quoted as saying, "who is Cyborg?"

I dunno, I think the popular Teen Titan cartoons will probably help the recognizablity factor a little. Though the Cyborg from the toons and the movie-verse Cyborg likely will have little to nothing in common.

I dunno, I think the popular Teen Titan cartoons will probably help the recognizablity factor a little. Though the Cyborg from the toons and the movie-verse Cyborg likely will have little to nothing in common.

As I said in another thread, Cyborg is one of those characters where the movie version will essentially establish who he is for the foreseeable future. A great writer and director combo has the chance to craft what DC wants to be its premier black hero from scratch, because no one cares about comic Cyborg.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If there's one thing that's been burning up the box office charts in recent years, it's films based on early 20th century sci fi/fantasy novels!

that's the power of public domain story/characters I guess. You never have to stop making those movies.

Really bad. Remember when they planned a trilogy with different directors each? Sad that won't happen now.

i'm glad it won't happen. i disliked the movie very much and i'm a big Tintin fan.
The talents from these 3 directors and Moffat/Wright are better used somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom