• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 04•08-10•16 - Melissa (not Martha) puts end to Bats v Supes sausage fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
DC's heroes seem more iconic, in the way Mickey Mouse is. Obviously Batman and Superman are up there, but even Wonder Woman and to some extent, Flash and Green Lantern. People know who they are. People buy shirts and coffee mugs with their logos on them. But even the people that do probably don't know a whole lot about them in terms of canon and storylines.

They still have brand recognition. The same way Spider-Man merchandise sells even if the films stink.

Maledict

Eh times have changed. Like folks saying Deadpool is a cult character. Since when? Deadpool has been HUGE with the nerd community for nearly a decade now and ever growing in popularity before the movie ever hit. Superman, Batman, etc have had their time for a long time now, but people do know who Deadpool is and such, its not like he was an obscure character when the film came out, and way past just cult status.

If anything, Deadpool was more popular and well known when his movie came out compared to Iron Man was when he got his movie. Iron Man was never a huge character and was always b-lister at best at Marvel back then. Supes and such are classics, but new generation of fans and heroes are in the limelight now

The nerd community doesn't produce blockbuster hits. Snakes on a Plane and Scott Pilgrim are testament to that. Deadpool has very little awareness outside of comic fandom, so the fact his film turned out to be such a beast is testament to the marketing and more importantly the quality of the film - audiences loved it. Batman versus Superman is falling so fast because it is a bad film that people are unhappy at seeing, and they tell their friends.

On no planet would anyone have expected Deadpool to out gross BvS a year ago, or even 6 months ago.

3N16MA

Banned
Look at Incredible Hulk and Iron Man. Hulk was the bigger name to the average person yet Iron Man smashed it at the BO in the same year. People just want well made films with superheroes that have cool powers (Batman does not need powers). They don't care if you give them 2nd tier characters. Once you hook them you can start dropping shit like IM2 and IM3 and they will still pay money to watch it several times.

rewatched iron man recently and tbh it's by far the best of mcu's efforts imo. RDJ was electric, he still hasn't topped how charismatic he was in that one (it helps that it was his big comeback movie/introduction to him for a lot of people). and nobody else in the mcu comes close to that one either.

i also liked how standalone it felt. like you got that shield doofus a few times but he just dropped small hints, and then nick fury at the end. i love iron man 3 and to a lesser extent cap 2 and guardians but this is still the high bar for mcu. great introduction to the character and very fun chemistry between everybody involved. it also showed stark take things seriously at times too which he kinda lost after this.

this was the best stepping stone for the universe and marvel studios sucks for doing favreau dirty like that with iron man 2 when he did so much for them.

DC's heroes seem more iconic, in the way Mickey Mouse is. Obviously Batman and Superman are up there, but even Wonder Woman and to some extent, Flash and Green Lantern. People know who they are. People buy shirts and coffee mugs with their logos on them. But even the people that do probably don't know a whole lot about them in terms of canon and storylines.

That can only go so far, though, as BvS has demonstrated. Snyder's approach sort of negates a lot of advantages of doing a comic book adaptation in the first place, since by treating his characters as blank slates and going for really out of left field interpretations, the only thing he can leverage is the brand. Stuff like Marvel's movies or the Nolan trilogy pulled from decades of writers figuring out what works for audiences, because there's a certain creative Darwinism to why these characters were iconic in the first place.

Jacob

Eh times have changed. Like folks saying Deadpool is a cult character. Since when? Deadpool has been HUGE with the nerd community for nearly a decade now and ever growing in popularity before the movie ever hit. Superman, Batman, etc have had their time for a long time now, but people do know who Deadpool is and such, its not like he was an obscure character when the film came out, and way past just cult status.

If anything, Deadpool was more popular and well known when his movie came out compared to Iron Man was when he got his movie. Iron Man was never a huge character and was always b-lister at best at Marvel back then. Supes and such are classics, but new generation of fans and heroes are in the limelight now

Big in the nerd community =! mainstream. Movies do not become successes on this level purely because dedicated fans like them. You have to bring in the casual/general audience to start making hundreds of millions. Deadpool did not have widespread name recognition with non-comics fans before the movie.

kswiston

Looks like London Has Fallen will end up pretty close to the first film Worldwide. I wonder if they will end up doing another one. Seems like the sort of thing that will play well on home media.

I suppose it's easy to say now (I honestly thought Deadpool wouldn't do much better than Kick-Ass), but the character definitely transcends his comic book origins. Even before the movie, he was a popular character to people who had never picked up a comic book in their life.

wonderwoman328a_kb.png

Toxi

Banned
I think Deadpool being a hit is thanks to its meme being mainstream.
You think Deadpool is a character with more mainstream love than Batman and Superman?

Deadpool was a hit thanks to great marketing and hitting the right buttons for audiences.

tbf, nobody even knows who Cyborg is

Dwayne McDuffie was quoted as saying, "who is Cyborg?"

You're cold-blooded.

Not going to lie, my favorite Wonder Woman moment is when she said "Fuck it" and killed Maxwell Lord. It gave her a real spot in the Trinity: the one opposed to killing, but willing to do it if the need arose.

Unfortunately, everyone kills in the DC Cinematiuc Universe, so that's really not a differentiator for her.

To think my buddy wanted to bet $50 on bvs making it to 1.5 billion. I'm glad I talked him down to just making a billion and even then. How does the trinity not make it to a billion ?

That requires Captain Marvel to actually get made and not just delayed again. (I really, really hope Marvel are close to nailing down a writer/director for Captain Marvel)

I thought that the woman who wrote the first draft of GOTG was already named as the writer of Captain Marvel? Or is she just handing in a draft of that one as well?

Yeah, happens to a lot of actors who get really known well in a specific roll. Johnny Depp's movies tend to do feck all outside of Pirates. Even RDJ has trouble getting a hit outside of Iron Man or Sherlock.

That didn't actually start happening until, at best, The Tourist (and I'd argue it didn't really become a thing until Dark Shadows/Lone Ranger, which was after the 4th Pirates film.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Damn, I just saw WB pushed back their Jungle Book movie another full year to October 2018, which would be 3.5 years after shooting began. That's nuts.

LosDaddie

Banned

Thank you for this.

Even though I enjoyed BvS, i love reading revisionist history like this

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Damn, I just saw WB pushed back their Jungle Book movie another full year to October 2018, which would be 3.5 years after shooting began. That's nuts.

i think it's hilarious that Disney's Jungle Book is poised to be a critical & commercial hit and WB has a movie called "Jungle Book: Origins" in the pipeline for 2 years from now

Saya

Wait, WB pushed their Jungle Book movie back a year? They shoud be shook, because Disney's Jungle Book was excellent and I think it will be huge internationally. I watched it last Friday and the people had such a great time in the cinema. There's no need for another re-telling in about a year. It's going to be the same story, but maybe darker or some shit. No need for that. Although I am kind of curious to see Cumberbatch as Shere Khan.

kswiston

So I think I am rooting for Suicide Squad to pass BvS domestically now. It's a long shot, but the marketing has been great so far, WB needs a win, and it would be funny to see BvS miss the superhero top 3 this year given that Civil War vs BvS vs Rogue One thread we had a few months ago.

Hopefully Suicide Squad is decent.

Wait, WB pushed their Jungle Book movie back a year? They shoud be shook, because Disney's Jungle Book was excellent and I think it will be huge internationally. I watched it last Friday and the people had such a great time in the cinema. There's no need for another re-telling in about a year. It's going to be the same story, but maybe darker or some shit. No need for that. Although I am kind of curious to see Cumberbatch as Shere Khan.

It's been pushed back 2 years now. Oct 2018.

Lebron

Tarzan and Jungle Book? In a world where the superior Disney versions already exists? Of all the things to green light with that kind of budget. No one asked for those.

Tarzan and Jungle Book? In a world where the superior Disney versions already exists? Of all the things to green light with that kind of budget. No one asked for those.

Jungle Book Origins (lmao) will likely have better voice acting though. Serkis KNOWS mo-cap performances and the jungle book clips have had this awful disconnect between the voices and animals. it almost feels like you can see them in the recording booths as you watch the trailers.

Saya

It's been pushed back 2 years now. Oct 2018.

I see. Damn.

No reason to have both Tarzan and Jungle Book eat all the shit in one year.

That's just gluttonous

Oh yes, I forgot Tarzan is also coming out later this year. Still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that WB execs think this has somehow mass-market appeal. The guy who pitched this idea to them deserves a medal. That he actually got them to do it is crazy.

Jigorath

Banned
So I think I am rooting for Suicide Squad to pass BvS domestically now. It's a long shot, but the marketing has been great so far, WB needs a win, and it would be funny to see BvS miss the superhero top 3 this year given that Civil War vs BvS vs Rogue One thread we had a few months ago.

Hopefully Suicide Squad is decent.

The marketing is really on point. I think it's going to really connect with audiences. Y'know, if it's good.

Lebron

Jungle Book Origins (lmao) will likely have better voice acting though. Serkis KNOWS mo-cap performances and the jungle book clips have had this awful disconnect between the voices and animals. it almost feels like you can see them in the recording booths as you watch the trailers.
That's all well and good, but why JB? The Disney cartoon is the only one that has done anything worth a damn money wise and I can't really see following the book version working out for them when the Disney version will already have come out and cemented itself again as "the" story. It's like doing a book faithful The Little Mermaid.

Yeah, I can't imagine there's a huge audience out there for any Jungle Book that isn't Disney's, and Disney's going to beat 'em to it by a year.

So you're gonna have to sell it on the fact it's "the real Jungle Book" which people will reject, and that it's better because Andy Serkis, Captain Mo-Cap himself, is behind it, which isn't super convincing.

kswiston

That's all well and good, but why JB? The Disney cartoon is the only one that has done anything worth a damn money wise and I can't really see following the book version working out for them when the Disney version will already have come out and cemented itself again as "the" story. It's like doing a book faithful The Little Mermaid.

I think that Universal is planning on doing just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom