• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

kswiston

What do people think the hold will be for WW next weekend? Only competition is the Mummy so WW could do well next weekend?

Could WW be #1 next weekend again?

I don't think the Mummy will open particularly high, so Wonder Woman has a pretty good shot at #1, even with regular superhero holds.

ZeoVGM

Banned
rgInECk.png

Holy shit.

What the hell was Dreamworks thinking putting a superhero movie on the same day as another superhero movie?

Prolly drank the Kool-Aid concerning the "production troubles" (combined with the abysmal quality of WW's forerunners) and thought it was vulnerable to counter programming.

Ridley327

Alien
mjlol.png

I think WW playing surprisingly well to families hurt Captain Underpants pretty bad.

That's pretty likely. The showing I went to had a lot of moms bringing their daughters with them, and the film isn't so violent that it would be that upsetting to younger kids.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Superhero fatigue.

Until something comes along and changes the mindset of the population at large clamoring for something new, Hollywood wants to keep churning it out

Hell soon Marvel movies will be going through a reboot of sorts after Phase 4 starts

No clue what could make it big as source material, maybe Disney uses that Marvel and Star Wars magic and creates like a video game universe type of thing using gaming industry icons as it's setups

I think I've ran out of things to say about WW so, uh, I'll go with: yay!

Also, there's a Churchill movie starring Brian Cox? And it's bad? Aw...

Linkura

Is that considered a good haul for Captain Underpants? It seems to me like it picked the wrong weekend to come out, but that that's still a decent haul.

kswiston

Months ago I was just hoping for a Man of Steel level of quality decent movie. Now Iron Man and Winter Soldier comparisons have me pumped.

It doesn't share that much in common with The Winter Soldier.

Expect a likeable pair of leads, a good mix of humor, and Man of Steel style feats of superhero strength/action.

WW was amazingggg, can not wait to see it again,glad it's really breaking out as a word of mouth "you must see this" type of deal

also I want to point out here Underpants was made for literal pennies; budget is only 38 million. Seems like a great opening for it imho. I cant wait to see it soon tbh, loved the books as a kid

tkscz

Eh. I was mostly arguing about the global icon moniker that people like to throw around carelessly. I'm just really, really happy that/if this movie is doing well.

The only place i worry about is China. While wonder woman will do good in Europe and fine in Japan, she isn't that well known in China. Regardless, I can see this movie hitting at least $300 to $450 mil in the US alone.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Suicide Squad would last 30 seconds. They neutralized and/or killed the only members with any power in the first film. What happens in the other 140 minutes?

They team up against Darkseid.

I mean I think Katana's got as good a chance against Darkseid as anyone else. What with her sword and all.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Patty Jenkins is getting a 250m + budget for the next one. Let the queen take her time. Let her make what she wants to make.

ezekial45

Banned
Justice League better be good.

They earned a lot of good will from WW, and WB really, really needs to keep that going.

GhaleonEB

Really happy for Jenkins and Gadot, they both delivered in a big way. It's been a while since I heard an audience cheer during a movie, and it happened multiple times with WW. It's going to have great legs.

JeTmAn81

I saw Wonder Woman. I thought it was quite good though not without some shortcomings typical of its genre. Why'd it take Patty Jenkins 14 years to put out another theatrical release after Monster? Is she trying to make James Cameron look like an amateur?

DeathyBoy

Banned
"We need a team that can take out a Superman level threat."

"Regular human with the guns, Regular human with the baseball bat, and Regular human with the boomerangs, you're all up!"

To be fair, if you gave DCEU Deadshot a sniper rifle with a Kryptonite bullet, Supes would be dead pretty quickly.

The only place i worry about is China. While wonder woman will do good in Europe and fine in Japan, she isn't that well known in China. Regardless, I can see this movie hitting at least $300 to $450 mil in the US alone.

$300 off of a 100 opener isn't impossible but it will have to have some good legs by Comic book standards.

400+ there is almost 0 chance that happens

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I hope they don't do that.

Before people start predicting $1B+ for a sequel, look at Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

What happened with Guardians 2?
Or do you mean the quality of the franchise will go down? Which, I agree, Guardians 2 was a let down.

GhaleonEB

I saw Wonder Woman. I thought it was quite good though not without some shortcomings typical of its genre. Why'd it take Patty Jenkins 14 years to put out another theatrical release after Monster? Is she trying to make James Cameron look like an amateur?

She's done some TV work, but I think it has a lot more to do with Hollywood not giving women directors much to work with.

kswiston

$300 off of a 100 opener isn't impossible but it will have to have some good legs by Comic book standards.

400+ there is almost 0 chance that happens

You can probably go ahead and say that $400M is impossible off of a $100-103M start.

The last time a major superhero opening managed a 4x Opening weekend multiplier off of a Friday start was Batman 1989.

"We need a team that can take out a Superman level threat."

"Regular human with the guns, Regular human with the baseball bat, and Regular human with the boomerangs, you're all up!"

Hey, Deadshot showed he had impeccable aim. And if the action wasn't so rubbish, him fending off the putty patrol could've been impressive. I was hard to tell.

Top Bottom