• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

Get Out is now at $14.6M in South Korea, making SK the biggest foreign territory for the film. By the end of its run Get Out will outgross BvS in South Korea. It will be pretty close to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 as well.
I wonder what the popularity is in SK? Is it similar to korean horror films?

jrush64

Banned
Yeah because DCEU was definitely in crisis before Wonder Woman.

Anyway, congrats Patty, Gal, Chris and everyone.

rgInECk.png

Hahah Oh Wow.
I'm happy for WW. Haven't seen it yet, but I'm glad it turned out even better than everyone expected.

But I am still very skeptical on what comes next. JL looked like more of the same that BvS brought us, and that's does not make me look forward to it. Maybe the movie will present itself a little different after Joss finishes touching it up some.

But this is a WW celebration time, we'll worry about JL months from now.

Dipper145

Odd to include thor and the original ironman in the comparisons to wonder woman's opening weekend. Still a pretty okay opening for wonder woman, which is good to see!

kswiston

Out of curiousity, I went back and looked at the Top opening weekend list. The only Friday openers to earn at least $75M opening weekend AND gross at least 4x their opening weekend were Avatar and Zootopia.

Everything else with a 4.0+ OW multiplier opened in the middle of the week.

The next film to hit the 4.0 OW multiplier mark was Finding Nemo. So 3 films out of the top 100 openers.

Sean C

I saw Wonder Woman. I thought it was quite good though not without some shortcomings typical of its genre. Why'd it take Patty Jenkins 14 years to put out another theatrical release after Monster? Is she trying to make James Cameron look like an amateur?
She was involved in other projects, including Thor: The Dark World, that didn't work out.

Guardians 2 also had no real competition for weeks and still couldn't do it.

Guardians 2 had an amazing run. It's not that G2 underperformed in any way it's that people had unrealistic expectations for it.

Kswis for example was warning against the 1 billion predictions for months

Kusagari

Guardians only did a little less than I expected in America. I thought it would blow up more overseas because I figured the original was a tough sell internationally.

Dinskugga

June is damn packed with big movies. One every weekend.

I think its kind of stupid. They gonna eat hard of each others boxoffice.

FTF

June is damn packed with big movies. One every weekend.

I think its kind of stupid. They gonna eat hard of each others boxoffice.

July is just as bad...Spider-man, War for the Planet of the Apes, Dunkirk. Back to back to back.

I feel like the inflated estimates for GotG2 were on Marvel pushing it so hard. On top of all spent for traditional marketing, how they went ahead with two GotG video games and the Disney Land ride.

Busty

Banned
You can probably go ahead and say that $400M is impossible off of a $100-103M start.

The last time a major superhero opening managed a 4x Opening weekend multiplier off of a Friday start was Batman 1989.

I'm still hanging in there. It's a long shot but I have a feeling that the female heavy audience break down is going to push this beyond the usual CBM multipliers. I know that Hunger Games had a better start but I feel like WW could play well into July.

I know that we'll get a sense of the legs on this as soon as the mid week numbers come in but I think this film is going to surprise a lot of people.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I have a bad feeling about Dunkirk, looked nice in the trailer, but not a movie I'll rush out to watch on theaters.

I hope they don't do that.

Before people start predicting $1B+ for a sequel, look at Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

I bet they could hit $1B in a sequel, if they teamed her up with Ironman....
or, uh, even better, with Batman and Superman!!, No way would a movie with Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman miss the $1B mark

Busty

Banned
Even with $400m off the table I think we can all agree that WW will crush The Mummy next weekend.

I know someone who's estimating just $25m for Mummy's three day opening.

*sharp intake of breath*

I have a bad feeling about Dunkirk, looked nice in the trailer, but not a movie I'll rush out to watch on theaters.

I think Dunkirk will be fine owing to the fact it's the only real, large scale 'adult' film playing wide this summer. A solid opening weekend with similarly solid legs as the older males come out to watch.

Penguin

JL vs Suicide Squad.

They may as well go there instead of JL 2.

Suicide Squad would last 30 seconds. They neutralized and/or killed the only members with any power in the first film. What happens in the other 140 minutes?

Hey it worked in the comics...

Though would take a bit of set-up they could recruit Faora from the Phantom Zone to the Squad.

Faora vs Wonder Woman would be a heck of a fight.

FTF

Yep, looks like a lazy sunday afternoon netflix feature, not the must see movie of the summer.

I think there are enough Nolan fans for it to hit $50m ow, but it needs really good reviews/RT score/wom for it to break out and be a summer hit.

kswiston

I'm still hanging in there. It's a long shot but I have a feeling that the female heavy audience break down is going to push this beyond the usual CBM multipliers. I know that Hunger Games had a better start but I feel like WW could play well into July.

I know that we'll get a sense of the legs on this as soon as the mid week numbers come in but I think this film is going to surprise a lot of people.

Legs will likely be better than average for Wonder Woman, but I think you are in the airborne stage of your pig roast $400M prediction :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWvevkE0kAI

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Why'd it take Patty Jenkins 14 years to put out another theatrical release after Monster? Is she trying to make James Cameron look like an amateur?
She's done some TV work, but I think it has a lot more to do with Hollywood not giving women directors much to work with.
Bingo. Women directors have a harder time getting funding for follow-ups to successes and are tossed into director jail far quicker than men after disappointments.

Oersted

I'm surpirsed how low Lego Batman is. I personally didn't like the movie, but thought for sure it would be The Lego Movie or at least match it

If someone would have asked me why they should watch the Batman Lego movie, I would have had no idea what to answer.

kswiston

Alien Covenant is at $174M worldwide. If it wasn't for the upcoming Chinese release, it wouldn't even hit $200M WW.

I mean, who gets excited for a not character focused WW2 movie in 2016.

Chris Nolan fans, people who watch the history channel, old folks, etc. Dunkirk may not blow the doors off opening week but it should have fine legs unless its Nolan's first movie to not click with critics.

Marvel hit 800m without Iron Man yet?

According to Kwinston post (1st reply?)
Worldwide Updates:

Beauty and the Beast - $1.241B ($93M in Japan after 7 weekends at #1)
Fate of the Furious - $1.228B
Guardians of the Galaxy V2 - $817M
Get Out - $247M (really good run overseas for the sort of film that doesn't even get a full international release)
Wonder Woman - $223M
King Arthur - $129M
Baywatch - $67M

Marvel's getting closer.
But will IM really be the $Bill maker? Can IM really bring SM off the bench and into the $Billy Club just by being present in the movie?

I believe in THOR though. That will be the 1st one to do it w/o IM in it.

Top Bottom