• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

Kswis, how does this summer boxoffice match up ti last years so far? Feels like it is way down.

Wrong time of year for a movie like Dunkirk, should have been a winter movie. I wonder if it is a test to see Nolan can sell anything despite the time of the year
It's down roughly 8% according to Variety. The year as a whole is even with 2016, largely due to March being such a monster month.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Do you not own a TV lol? I've literally seen tv spots every time I turn open the television. You'd have to actually be avoiding it.

I watch a decent amount of TV and I've honestly never seen an ad. I've seen more Baby Driver advertising. I haven't seen a Dunkirk trailer in the theaters either, but that might just might be bad luck.

But I live in Canada so that might make a difference. Obviously they spend more on advertising in the US.

Edit: I see a lot of Spidey ads too

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I went back and watched the trailer for Saving Private Ryan to see how it was being advertised. It sort of looks like the promo for an A&E special now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwhP5b4tD6g

You don't realize how much the art of trailer making has changed until you go back around 20 years and watch old trailers and TV spots.

It's really amazing. Movie trailers evolved so quickly in the 2000s. They have it down to a science now. I think they're even catching on that it's probably not a good idea to use the hottest new pop single because people might have a negative reaction if it's overplayed.

Yeah, in one of the older threads I said I see a lot of Spidey posters. Not seen any TV spots for it but quite a few for Baby Driver (which had ghastly motion interpolation).

It's really amazing. Movie trailers evolved so quickly in the 2000s. They have it down to a science now. I think they're even catching on that it's probably not a good idea to use the hottest new pop single because people might have a negative reaction if it's overplayed.

Hopefully, I've started to prefer it when they work in the original score for trailers recently.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yeah the youths will see Baby Driver and old farts will watch Dunkirk.
60% of Baby Driver's weekend audience was over 25.

Kswis, how does this summer boxoffice match up ti last years so far? Feels like it is way down.

Wrong time of year for a movie like Dunkirk, should have been a winter movie. I wonder if it is a test to see Nolan can sell anything despite the time of the year
Dunkirk seems like solid counter-programming. Something intelligent yet cinematic for the adults who don't exactly care about the endless franchise installments of modern summers.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
60% of Baby Driver's weekend audience was over 25.

Dunkirk seems like solid counter-programming. Something intelligent yet cinematic for the adults who don't exactly care about the endless franchise installments of modern summers.

That's the thing, I'm kinda disappointed Nolan made safe WW2 film. Frankly the genre has been done to death. Even WW1 would have at least been something less...over-done? I'll see it on Redbox, but the trailer did no favors for it.

BumRush

I have a feeling that when Dunkirk reviews start coming out it's going to blow up. Right now, some of the spots have looked generic WW II (others have looked amazing). But it's fucking NOLAN we're talking about...

I went back and watched the trailer for Saving Private Ryan to see how it was being advertised. It sort of looks like the promo for an A&E special now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwhP5b4tD6g

You don't realize how much the art of trailer making has changed until you go back around 20 years and watch old trailers and TV spots.

I remember when Saving Private Ryan was about to open and all the stories about how brutal the film was. It just kind of came out of nowhere and clubbed everyone over the head. The VA apparently opening up more support lines for veterans because they were going to trigger their PTSD by seeing the film, and that it was the first film to show the absolute horror of WWII.

I haven't seen it in years. Might need to fix that soon. So fucking good.

Now, as for trailers:

Meanwhile, the Independence Day teaser is still damn good.

But this trailer was the best one for that movie. It still looks epic and not as cheesy as the final film wound up being.

The Godzilla teasers were also damn good. Such a shame that movie was shit.

More Godzilla teasing.

kswiston

Only 8% after a couple sizable bombas?

May was down 10.7% from last year, and May 2016 was pretty weak. May 2017 was the weakest May since 2006. June was down 2.9% from last year, but was just mediocre rather than terrible. I don't know that the rest of the summer improves either.

Fall and Winter should easily make up some of the lost ground though. Last year, the box office was pretty dead between Suicide Squad and Doctor Strange.

Only 8% after a couple sizable bombas?
8% is pretty bad; if that holds it'd be the second worst summer decline in the last 20 years.

But, 2016 also had its share of massive bombs and disappointments. The biggest difference between the two has been May being quite a bit worse and nothing coming close to the money Finding Dory made in June.

Also, provide a domestic total to go with that Spider-Man Homecoming OW prediction!

kswiston

Still waiting for a September record breaking blockbuster. One of the only months left untouched for monster grosses.

It has a good shot at finally getting September that $50M+ opener. I totally expect the film to be a one weekend wonder though.

Hopefully Kingsman 2 does well. It's now Sept 22nd.

Lima

It has a good shot at finally getting September that $50M+ opener. I totally expect the film to be a one weekend wonder though.

Hopefully Kingsman 2 does well. It's now Sept 22nd.

I had to read this five times because I was like what is It. WHAT IS IT.

Then I remembered the remake of It is coming out.

kswiston

The year is half over, and I am bored, so here is my 6-month report card for the 2017 films that I have seen through June 30th.

LEGO Batman Movie: B-
John Wick Ch 2: A-
Logan: A-
The Boss Baby: C
Your Name: B+
Free Fire: B-
Guardians of the Galaxy 2: B+
Alien Covenant: C
Wonder Woman: B+
Captain Underpants: B
It Comes at Night: B-
Cars 3: C+
Baby Driver: A-

On my scale, E is unwatchable, D is bad, C is mediocre, B is good, and A is great to excellent.

I see a lot of animated films with my daughter, even when I don't really have any interest in seeing said film. Captain Underpants was better than I expected it to be. The Boss Baby and Cars 3 were about on par with my expectations.

I went back and forth on whether to bump Logan and Baby Driver to an A, but both films had some dips near the end. I think that both have a good shot at being in my top 10 for the year, but probably not my top 5 (unless the rest of the year is weak).

The year is half over, and I am bored, so here is my 6-month report card for the 2017 films that I have seen through June 30th.

LEGO Batman Movie: B-
John Wick Ch 2: A-
The Boss Baby: C
Your Name: B+
Free Fire: B-
Guardians of the Galaxy 2: B+
Wonder Woman: B+
Captain Underpants: B
It Comes at Night: B-
Cars 3: C+

On my scale, E is unwatchable, D is bad, C is mediocre, B is good, and A is great to excellent.

I see a lot of animated films with my daughter, even when I don't really have any interest in seeing said film. Captain Underpants was better than I expected it to be. The Boss Baby and Cars 3 were about on par with my expectations.

I went back and forth on whether to bump Logan and Baby Driver to an A, but both films had some dips near the end. I think that both have a good shot at being in my top 10 for the year, but probably not my top 5 (unless the rest of the year is weak).
What other films are you expecting to be in your top 5?

For me, these other films I've seen are in consideration for best films of the year.

Get Out
Colossal
Raw
Bitch
Prevenge
The Big Sick
A Silent Voice
My Life As A Courgette
In This Corner Of The World
The Eyes Of My Mother

Then there are others that I haven't seen yet (Graduation, Hounds Of Love, Loveless, Happy End, Dunkirk, After The Storm, Harmonium, A Ghost Story, Good Time, War For The Planet Of The Apes), that might make the list.

The only movies I saw in the Theatre this year were Wonder Woman and Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2. I give Guardians a B+ and Wonder Woman an A.

Next film I'll see? You guessed it Spidey.

Oh I forgot I also rented Split which came out this year and really enjoyed it. That gets a B+ from me as well.

Get Out: A
John Wick Chapter 2: A
It Comes at Night: B+
Split: B+
Free Fire: B
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: B
Fate of the Furious: B
Hidden Figures: B-
Beauty and the Beast: B-
Kong: Skull Island: B-
Wonder Woman: C+
The LEGO Batman Movie: C
xXx: The Return of Xander Cage: C
Rough Night: C
Atomic Blonde: C-
Alien: Covenant: C-
A Cure for Wellness: C-
Life: C-
The Great Wall: D+
Power Rangers: D+
Despicable Me 3: D+
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales: D+
Ghost in the Shell: D
The Bye Bye Man: D
King Arthur: D
Baywatch: D-
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter: D-
The Mummy: D-
Rings: D-
Underworld: Brood Wars: D-
Transformers: F
The Circle: F

Toa TAK

Banned
Ugh, don't let your love for Cruise blind you to the truth.

The Mummy is the worst film of 2017.

I was more engaged in watching the calamity that was Transformers.

I mean, regardless of any fanboyism, The Circle is definitely the worst film of 2017. It's a failure on every level and I'd almost recommend watching it because it's the sort of misfire that demands widespread ridicule.

Zackat

Wonder Woman - A
John Wick - A
Baby Driver - B+
Alien Covenant - D
Logan - A-
Guardians - B+
Pirates - C+
Power Rangers - C+
Underworld - D-
Transformers - D-
Fate of the Furious - B-

I really didn't like those movies I gave a D to, the rest I would watch again. Dunkirk and Spidey are gonna be good. Need to look at a list of what is coming out for the rest of the year again.

Is Atomic Blonde a matinee movie or ?

kswiston

Your Name is my favorite movie of the year.

I am super salty I had to watch it on a plane and not in theaters

I only watched that film because I wanted to see what was so special about it to warrant a $235M gross in Japan.

It was an enjoyable film. I wouldn't put it up there with the best of Studio Ghibli, but definitely worth a watch.

Since everyone else is doing it, here's my list in terms of how much I liked it

BEST

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Wonder Woman
Get Out
Hidden Figures
Logan
Baby Driver
John Wick Chapter 2
Okja
Kong: Skull Island
Alien: Covenant
The LEGO Batman Movie
Split
Power Rangers
Life
Beauty and the Beast
Transformers

WORST

Schlorgan

Lego Batman: B+
Beauty and the Beast: C+
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: A
Cars 3: B-

Still need to see F8, Logan and Wonder Woman.

Getting married makes it hard to go see movies. xD

We already have that movie.

It's called THE MUMMY
Oh, you have no idea how much worse The Circle is. I'm genuinely surprised it's at even 15% on RT, and I assume there's some sort of Tom Hanks effect on critics

It's the least suspenseful suspense film I've ever seen. It's also less believable than The Mummy.

kswiston

Lego Batman: B+
Beauty and the Beast: C+
Cars 3: B-

Still need to see F8, Logan and Wonder Woman.

Getting married makes it hard to go see movies. xD

When are you getting married?

Full price.

BGE may dissuade you, but like the devil you must stay true to the word. My word.

EDIT: And Bronson. Forgot about him.

Bronson actually liked the film. He said it was better than the first John Wick.

Is Atomic Blonde a matinee movie or ?

It's a solid matinee in my eyes. Some striking shots and great action that gets wobbled about a bit with some convoluted plot

I only watched that film because I wanted to see what was so special about it to warrant a $235M gross in Japan.

It was an enjoyable film. I wouldn't put it up there with the best of Studio Ghibli, but definitely worth a watch.

I didn't know squat about it so the emotional beats hit hard for me. I could see it getting knocked off my list, but stuff better come up soon

For recent animated films, you should definitely check out A Silent Voice, My Life As A Courgette/Zucchini, and In This Corner Of The World. I'd put ITCFTW up there with the best of Ghibli.

Toa TAK

Banned
Ignore the Bron

Oh, you have no idea how much worse The Circle is. I'm genuinely surprised it's at even 15% on RT, and I assume there's some sort of Tom Hanks effect on critics

It's the least suspenseful suspense film I've ever seen. It's also less believable than The Mummy.

That's got Watson and Bruhyega in it, doesn't it? Been meaning to check it out for that trinity of actors they've got going on.

J_Viper

Split: B
RE: The Final Chapter: B-
Lego Batman: B
John Wick 2: A
Get Out: B+
Logan: A+
Kong: B
Power Rangers: B
Ghost in the Shell: C
F8: A
Guardians 2: B+
Wonder Woman: B
It Comes at Night: B
Baby Driver: B+

I think the marketing is going to be a problem for the WOM on Atomic Blonde. Basically, don't go in expecting Jane Wick and you could enjoy it. The non-action stuff did not work for me at all, but one action scene is particular is amazing. I'd probably go to a matinee just for that.

Slayven

May was down 10.7% from last year, and May 2016 was pretty weak. May 2017 was the weakest May since 2006. June was down 2.9% from last year, but was just mediocre rather than terrible. I don't know that the rest of the summer improves either.

Fall and Winter should easily make up some of the lost ground though. Last year, the box office was pretty dead between Suicide Squad and Doctor Strange.

8% is pretty bad; if that holds it'd be the second worst summer decline in the last 20 years.

But, 2016 also had its share of massive bombs and disappointments. The biggest difference between the two has been May being quite a bit worse and nothing coming close to the money Finding Dory made in June.

Also, provide a domestic total to go with that Spider-Man Homecoming OW prediction!
Hollywood and game companies need to realize there are 12 months in the year

golem

Here's mine..

Get Out: A+
Beauty and the Beast: A-
Split: B
Logan: B
Fate of the Furious: B-
The LEGO Batman Movie: B-
Ghost in the Shell: C+
Kong: Skull Island: C