• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
My Report Card of flicks in order

Railroad Tigers - C
Split - B+
xXx - D - Gets a solely because I liked how diverse the cast was.
The Great Wall - D+
Lego Batman - B-
John Wick 2 - A-
Get Out - A+(Best of the year so far)
A Cure for Wellness - F
Girl with all the Gifts - D
Kong - B-
Beauty and the Beast - C
Belko - C
Power Rangers - B
Ghost in the Shell - C-
ZooKeeper's Wife - C
Your Name - A-
GOTG2 - A-
King Arthur - B
Alien Covenant - Fuck This Shit
Pirates 5 - C
Baywatch - D-
Wonder Woman - A
The Mummy - Fuck This Shit
It Comes at Night - F, officially first movie of the year" I've Fallen Asleep Award. "
Transformers 5 - Fuck This Shit
Baby Driver - A
Okja - A-
DM3 - C
Logan - A
Life - C+
Fate of the Furious - C

Quick scale
A - Great Flick
B - Where I'd recommend it at
C - I enjoy, but don't care after.
D - I didn't hate it.
F - Shit
Fuck This Shit - It actively pissed me off watching it.

samar11

Why is sony releasing 2 of their movies so close to each other, especially when one is going to eat the others lunch in a big way lol

whoa hold the goddamn phone I don't remember saying I liked Atomic Blonde over John Wick 1 cause naaaaaaaah

if you wanna throw hands over one of my hot takes we can talk about how much I hate Baby Driver

Toa TAK

Banned
whoa hold the goddamn phone I don't remember saying I liked Atomic Blonde over John Wick 1 cause naaaaaaaah

if you wanna throw hands over one of my hot takes we can talk about how much I hate Baby Driver

Yes

You DID like Atomic Blonde over John Wick 1.

I remember.

I have no clue what constitutes a 2017 release and what constitutes a 2016-but-went-wide-in-2017 release, but here's what I checked out in theaters/Netflix Originals this calendar year:

A Monster Calls - A
Patriots Day - B
Split - B+
Hidden Figures - A
iBoy - C
The Founder - B
The Lego Batman Movie - B+
John Wick: Chapter 2 - B+
Get Out - A
A Cure For Wellness - C
Logan - A-
Paterson - A
Kong: Skull Island - B
Beauty and the Beast - B
Power Rangers - B+
Life - C+
T2: Trainspotting - B
Ghost in the Shell - D
The Fate of the Furious - B-
Your Name - A+
The Lost City of Z - B+
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - B+
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - C+
Alien: Covenant - B-
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - C+
Wonder Woman - A+
The Mummy - F
Cars 3 - C+
Transformers: The Last Knight - F
Baby Driver - A-
Okja - A-

Best is a tie between Your Name and Wonder Woman, but I think Your Name got me emotionally a bit more. It's the only time I heard somebody in the theater this year just viciously gasp at something emotional on screen.

Worst is tight between The Mummy and Transformers 5, but I'll give it to Transformers 5 because at least The Mummy is an hour shorter and slows the hell down.

Most forgettable is Ghost in the Shell. Straight up forgot I saw that.

kswiston

I went back and checked, and you said that you'd put it below JW1. We started talking about JW2 > JW1 after, so that's probably where my misremembering came from. My mistake!

Yes

You DID like Atomic Blonde over John Wick 1.

I remember.

FIND ME THE RECEIPTS

When will you people learn Bronson is wrong

about everything

New York is garbage

I went back and checked, and you said that you'd put it below JW1. We started talking about JW2 > JW1 after, so that's probably where my misremembering came from. My mistake!

OH right ya that was how that went. Rating goes JW2 >>> JW1 >>>>>>>>>>>>> Atomic Blonde

nnnnnnnnNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo

tumblr_o7dd6k3rlD1vujsslo1_500.gif

My Report Card aka bad film opinions

Silence - B+ (the prettiest film of the year)
xXx: Return of Xander Cage - D- (and yet Donnie Yen was better in this than R1)
John Wick Ch.2 - B+ (no Empire Strikes Back, but it's close)
The LEGO Batman Movie - B- (saw this three times but no clue why)
Logan - A (no more X-Men movies now, thanks)
Kong: Skull Island - C+ (competent and solid, just like my poos)
Get Out - A (gooood stuff)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - B+ (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235892257&postcount=1524)
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - D+ (Arthur literally siccing a giant snake on a dude gets it the plus)
Alien: Covenant - C (full-face cringe through most of this thing)
Wonder Woman - B (why couldn't the first Cap movie be THIS)
It Comes At Night - A- (joins The Vvitch in the vaunted category of "films that piss off my horror-fan friends, those dorks")
Baby Driver - A (*swoon*)

Is that supposed to be bad? All your scores are money except silence and baby driver should be bumped to A+

And guardians and wonder woman b-

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Why is sony releasing 2 of their movies so close to each other, especially when one is going to eat the others lunch in a big way lol
Fairly different target audiences, I don't think that's a big concern for Sony. It might not be ideal, but not a big problem if the release calendar forced them into the situation.

Wonder Woman and Your Name are definitely the best movies i have watched this year so far. Both were amazing for different reasons and made me feel things (the horror!). Especially Your Name's soundtrack, holy shit that thing breaks me.

kswiston

For recent animated films, you should definitely check out A Silent Voice, My Life As A Courgette/Zucchini, and In This Corner Of The World. I'd put ITCFTW up there with the best of Ghibli.

I didn't acknowledge this earlier, but I'll keep those in mind for the future. Thanks for the recommendations!

Is that supposed to be bad? All your scores are money except silence and baby driver should be bumped to A+

And guardians and wonder woman b-

They're bad because the grading scale was literally just me taking a five-point system I was already using and converting into letters while arbitrarily adding a plus or minus on

aka why the heck is guardians a flippin B- it's one of the most emotionally-resonant films I've seen all year

Fairly different target audiences, I don't think that's a big concern for Sony. It might not be ideal, but not a big problem if the release calendar forced them into the situation.

It didn't. In terms of competition, the original August date it had had much less of it than it has right now (unless they were worried about it cutting into the audience for Dark Tower or something).

Zackat

I just watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes for the first time, I had watched the first one. Damn that movie was good

I am hyped for the next one now.

3N16MA

Banned
BO thread has become the "Old Farts Club." You guys walking down memory lane makes me sick.

I'm an old fart.

Schlorgan

I just watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes for the first time, I had watched the first one. Damn that movie was good

I am hyped for the next one now.
I watched both for the first time last week and, yeah, they are great.

War is definitely on my radar now.

3N16MA

Banned
Apes should be over 100M OW. One of the best trilogies to grace the big screen in awhile.

Too bad it won't touch that.

Nev

Banned
Not surprised at the low predictions for Dunkirk. I mean I will be there day one because of Nolan but how many people are actually interested in yet another freaking WW2 movie?

How you go from Batman-Inception-Interstellar to fucking World War 2 is beyond me. Zzz.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Made a chart of everyone's predictions here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SfCuEITMZL4YTSegKelav-sePrLFZJuZJe02vBgvO_4/edit#gid=0

To reiterate, we are gifting steam games to the persons with the best OW predictions. In the event of a tie, the DOM prediction will be used, so please provide at least an OW and DOM prediction if you would like to participate. The deadline is 11:59PM PST on July 5. Please let me know if I made any errors.

Prizes will include Dishonored 2, Doom, XCOM (now 1 and 2 :) ), and a couple others pending. Whoever gets 1st place will have their pick, then 2nd place will, and so on.

99.99 million ow
150 dom

Dunkirk is rated PG-13. Probably a fairly soft PG-13 too, seeing as it's certified PG in Canada and 12+ in other parts of the world. Feels like another case where the lower rating would actually more of an inhibitor like Expendables 3 and Die Hard 4. Nolan did R movies before Batman and his younger fans have definitely grown up since TDKR, so I wonder why he didn't go for an R rating. The material is certainly adult-oriented, so why not?

Dunkirk is rated PG-13. Probably a fairly soft PG-13 too, seeing as it's certified PG in Canada and 12+ in other parts of the world. Feels like another case where the lower rating would actually more of an inhibitor like Expendables 3 and Die Hard 4. Nolan did R movies before Batman and his younger fans have definitely grown up since TDKR, so I wonder why he didn't go for an R rating. The material is certainly adult-oriented, so why not?

Nolan has an interesting approach to violence and sexuality. His films are extremely sanitized, he's like the anti-Verhoeven. I just rewatched The Dark Knight and there's maybe one drop of blood in the film. The most violent scene (the pen trick) is entirely suggested. So as long as nobody is cursing, I'm not surprised Dunkirk is PG-13. I don't think he's censoring himself, it's just part of his style. Even his earlier films barely deserved an R-Rating.

firelogic

John Wick Chapter 2: B+
Alien Covenant: C
Wonder Woman: A-
Logan: A+
xXx: Return of Xander Cage: F
Fate of the Furious: D
Lego Batman: F
Boss Baby: F
Okja: B+
T2: Trainspotting: B
A Cure for Wellness: F
Patriots Day: C
Power Rangers: F
Underworld Blood Wars: C+ (I have a thing for Underworld. Sue me.)

Scale:
A = Loved it.
B = Liked it.
C = Take it or leave it.
D = Didn't like it.
F = Hated it.

Nolan has an interesting approach to violence and sexuality. His films are extremely sanitized, he's like the anti-Verhoeven. I just rewatched The Dark Knight and there's maybe one drop of blood in the film. The most violent scene (the pen trick) is entirely suggested. So as long as nobody is cursing, I'm not surprised Dunkirk is PG-13. I don't think he's censoring himself, it's just part of his style. Even his earlier films barely deserved an R-Rating.

I'm not sure about a PG-13 war movie. Of course I haven't seen it so I can't say for sure, but my favourite war themed movies have all been rated-R because they showed the real stakes of war and how brutal and unforgiving it is. Most recently, Hacksaw Ridge. When I first saw the poster for Dunkirk and a little clip of all the soldiers crammed onto the bridge with the way it was lit and the sound design, I thought we were getting a really gritty war movie but when I saw the full trailer, I was disappointed.

Lego Batman: B ( laughed a *lot* because I got every in-joke and throwaway)
The Lovers: B (this is a pretty messed up movie in a good way)
Logan: A
Boss Baby: C+ (expected this to be much worse)
Guardians of the Galaxy 2: B+ (could have been better, dragged down by some of the side-plots)
Wonder Woman: A-
The Big Sick: A
Despicable Me 3: B- (expected this to be much worse)

I haven't seen as much as I thought I had, and I haven't seen anything terrible. Pretty great year for movies at an entertainment level.

I'd recommend any of the above except the kids' movies. No Zootopias, Moanas or Kubos yet this year.

Edit: Missed Get Out!

A, best movie of the year. With a title that is easy to overlook on a list, apparently.

Pachimari

My 2017 watches:
Your Name: B+
Wonder Woman: B+
Get Out: B
Power Rangers: B
Ghost in the Shell: C+
John Wick 2: C
Baby Driver: C-
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: C-
Logan: C-
The LEGO Batman Movie: C-
Lost City of Z: D
Free Fire: D-

Sloppy tiers based on theater viewings only:

Best: Get Out, Wonder Woman, Baby Driver, and Logan.

Second best: Spider-Man Homecoming, Split, The Lost City of Z, and John Wick 2

Decent: LEGO Batman, Fate of the Furious, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and Kong Skull Island (I'd make a lower tier for this but whatever)

jett

D-Member
Great:

Good:
Logan
John Wick 2

Okay:
Get Out

Meh:
Wonder Woman
Lego Batman

Pretty shitty:
King Arthur
Alien Covenant
Kong Skull Island

Abject garbage:
Assassin's Creed

Nev

Banned
OK but one act kind of sucks: Wonder Woman, Ghost in the Shell

Eh:
Lego Batman

Marvel: Gotg 2

Why:
Beauty and the Beast

Utter trash: Rogue One

I'm way behind you guys on the 2017 movies since I have to wait for the blu-ray / home release most of the time but here's my ranking of what I've seen so far, from best to worst:

1. Okja
2. Get Out
3. Logan
4. Kong: Skull Island
5. Wonder Woman
6. John Wick: Chapter 2
7. Power Rangers
8. The LEGO Batman Movie

And I quite liked Lego Batman.

I'm not sure about a PG-13 war movie. Of course I haven't seen it so I can't say for sure, but my favourite war themed movies have all been rated-R because they showed the real stakes of war and how brutal and unforgiving it is. Most recently, Hacksaw Ridge. When I first saw the poster for Dunkirk and a little clip of all the soldiers crammed onto the bridge with the way it was lit and the sound design, I thought we were getting a really gritty war movie but when I saw the full trailer, I was disappointed.

I'm right there with you, a PG-13 war movie is a bit strange but I'll give Nolan the benefit of the doubt since that bloodless approach to violence is very much part of his style.

DeathyBoy

Banned
OK but one act kind of sucks: Wonder Woman, Ghost in the Shell

Eh:
Lego Batman

Marvel: Gotg 2

Why:
Beauty and the Beast

Utter trash: Rogue One

How is Rogue One utter trash?

Like seriously. I know some of y'all hate films, but utter trash really should be used sparingly. Ending of Rogue One alone ensures it's far from being even the worst film released that month.

jett

D-Member
With TDK and TDKR I thought Nolan directed those movies in a way that made him seem actually afraid of even smelling a whiff of a potential R rating. The violence in those two is not just bloodless, but toothless even. Batman Begins in a way is probably even worse, you can't even see any punches or blows land with how the fights are edited there.

Toa TAK

Banned
Goddamn

If Rogue One is utter trash, I would assume we're in a pretty good place as far as blockbuster releases go.

Any official projections for Spider-Man Homecoming as of right now?

Early tracking in mid-June was 100m +

Box Office Pro updated on June 30/July 1 with 125-130m saying it might even reach 150 with good word of mouth

150 seems ridiculously high to me but I could see 120ish

Top Bottom