• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

Me personally I didn't really enjoy it much. Seemed like something aimed at toddlers. But I didn't really like The Lego Movie much either so maybe this kind of "humor" isn't for me.

I thought the opposite. It aimed too far at adults oddly. It's a sort of meanspirited movie that I wouldnt want my "kids" to watch

J_Viper

I only caught the first twenty mins of Lego Batman and really dug what I saw. I'll catch the rest when the Blu-Ray drops in price.

I recall someone here was so dead set on Lego Bats being a huge hit that WB should consider dropping live action and double down on Lego. I think that person jinxed the movie.

And didn't Rings bombed so hard that it killed the new Friday the 13th reboot? What a shame

I think Paramount could be using Jason's help right about now

Penguin

Flipping between Independence Day and Resurgence on TV right now... and just forgot how bland the sequel was. Especially the new team. And the climax is ripped out of your favorite video game tropes

MoeDabs

I only caught the first twenty mins of Lego Batman and really dug what I saw. I'll catch the rest when the Blu-Ray drops in price.

I recall someone here was so dead set on Lego Bats being a huge hit that WB should consider dropping live action and double down on Lego. I think that person jinxed the movie.

And didn't Rings bombed so hard that it killed the new Friday the 13th reboot? What a shame

I think Paramount could be using Jason's help right about now

The first part of Lego Batman is easily the best part.

Pachimari

I saw LEGO Batman yesterday, and even though I really loved the LEGO Movie, this Batman edition was super mediocre. It didn't feel right in places, I didn't like that other properties was in it, I didn't like the whole Batfamily thing and Robin surely didn't make me laugh. It dragged at times , and too many of the jokes didn't land.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I think the only part of Lego Batman I genuinely loved was, weirdly, Michael Cera. Most of the new characters were pretty forgettable, and Batman just felt like a funny joke in the first movie stretched out way longer than it could sustain.

I saw LEGO Batman yesterday, and even though I really loved the LEGO Movie, this Batman edition was super mediocre. It didn't feel right in places, I didn't like that other properties was in it, I didn't like the whole Batfamily thing and Robin surely didn't make me laugh. It dragged at times , and too many of the jokes didn't land.
This was how I thought too. The first 20 minutes were dope, but it got then it started cratering pretty quick and never recovered.

It was basically supporting character syndrome, I think. Not nearly as horrendous and misconceived as Minions, but still disappointing after The LEGO Movie.

Idk if I'm insane, but Lego Batman is great. The only way it could have been better was with more "Justice League views Batman as a downer" stuff.

I mean, it isn't as good as the Lego Movie, but being worse then the Lego movie is like being less cute then Corgis.

Also, Under the Red Hood over "Return of the Caped Crusader?" Boooo

ReiGun

Lego Batman felt like it would have been better as an episode of "Batman: Brave and the Bold" as opposed to a two hour movie. Everything that was good about it wore out its welcome over the course of its runtime.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Lego Batman is great when it's focused on satirizing Batman and his mythos. But once it becomes this weird commercial for all these other WB franchises, it loses steam for a while. The first half of that movie is way better as a result.

Also Return of the Caped Crusader is good, but not that good. It goes some lengthy stretches without a good laugh.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
One of the really disappointing parts of the movie was the mish-mash of other franchises. Not only did that make it seem like a retread of Lego Movie, but it meant they squandered all those great Batman villains.

LEGO Batman was decent, but not great. Really wore out its welcome. Seems like the concept of a Batman self-parody works better in a smaller dose like in The LEGO Movie.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Lego Batman movie so terribly meh. Horribly long and not particularly entertaining or funny. Not surprised at the flop.

Should've seen it coming since I disliked the histrionic tryhard overrated Lego movie and the Batman trailers failed to make me smile once.

Well, it's one of the best reviewed movies of the year but to each their own.

In terms of box office performance, I think everyone expected more from LEGO Batman but it absolutely was not a "flop." $80m budget, $175m domestic, $310m worldwide is not a flop.

Idk if I'm insane, but Lego Batman is great.

You're not insane.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lego_batman_movie/

FoneBone

Buried at the end of this piece, which I haven't seen posted here yet: Valerian and Dunkirk are only tracking for $20 million and $35 million openings, respectively.

Buried at the end of this piece, which I haven't seen posted here yet: Valerian and Dunkirk are only tracking for $20 million and $35 million openings, respectively.

Question: is there a science behind recognize when a movie will flop just by seeing its trailers? Anyone could have told you Valerian would flop. And here we are. Opening weekend coming up. And it's going to flop.

border

While great Rotten Tomatoes scores are necessary for any tentpole to succeed at the B.O, here was a glaring example in Alien: Covenant where great reviews didn’t impact tickets sales for the better.

71% at RottenTomatoes really considered "great reviews"? It seems like only super-high RT scores really see a bump (90%+).

I think people are holding Nolan on a high pedestal that is very unfortunate. His movies either need to be balls out amazing or people won't bother.

Vectorman

Banned
Dunkirk will definitely good reviews and a good RT score if that's the high end for predictions. Honestly you don't think this won't attract the older crowd or something? I would think that it might attract that crowd possibly.

Lima

Dunkirk will definitely good reviews and a good RT score if that's the high end for predictions. Honestly you don't think this won't attract the older crowd or something? I would think that it might attract that crowd possibly.

Yeah the youths will see Baby Driver and old farts will watch Dunkirk.

FTF

I think people are holding Nolan on a high pedestal that is very unfortunate. His movies either need to be balls out amazing or people won't bother.

?...he's on a 12 year box office streak. Even taking out the Batmans, Inception did $825m ww and Interstellar $675m.

Random Human

I've seen literally no Dunkirk advertising. If it weren't for this site I wouldn't know it exists.

Valerian looks like the next Jupiter Ascending. At Baby Driver they played one of those ads where they interview actors to hype up the movie, and neither of the leads seemed able to explain what it was or why people should see it.

Ross61

I've seen literally no Dunkirk advertising. If it weren't for this site I wouldn't know it exists.

Valerian looks like the next Jupiter Ascending. At Baby Driver they played one of those ads where they interview actors to hype up the movie, and neither of the leads seemed able to explain what it was or why people should see it.
Do you not own a TV lol? I've literally seen tv spots every time I turn open the television. You'd have to actually be avoiding it.

kswiston

Reviews and WOM will matter more than early tracking for Dunkirk. It's not the sort of film that is going to have a lot of audience awareness 3 weeks out from release.

LosDaddie

Banned
I have a feeling Wondy still has some (lovely) legs in it. I payed for my wife (1st viewing), daughter (2nd viewing) and mom (3rd viewing) to watch it yesterday, a 2:15pm showing, and they said it was packed. Maybe just a holiday weekend deal, but I was surprised the theater was packed.

Also, LEGO Batman was great. I really enjoyed it.

kswiston

I went back and watched the trailer for Saving Private Ryan to see how it was being advertised. It sort of looks like the promo for an A&E special now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwhP5b4tD6g

You don't realize how much the art of trailer making has changed until you go back around 20 years and watch old trailers and TV spots.

Question: is there a science behind recognize when a movie will flop just by seeing its trailers? Anyone could have told you Valerian would flop. And here we are. Opening weekend coming up. And it's going to flop.

It's not about the quality of the trailer so much as it's about the reaction to the trailer. I'd say you can tell within 12-24 hours of a first trailer dropping how close the movie will come to hitting its mark.

Slayven

Kswis, how does this summer boxoffice match up ti last years so far? Feels like it is way down.

Wrong time of year for a movie like Dunkirk, should have been a winter movie. I wonder if it is a test to see Nolan can sell anything despite the time of the year

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Do you not own a TV lol? I've literally seen tv spots every time I turn open the television. You'd have to actually be avoiding it.
If all you watch is Netflix, then yeah you wouldn't see it all. Plus only baseball on right now, where even in person it's boring =p

Top Bottom