• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

To clarify, by 'for kids' I don't actually mean a kid's movie, just one that tells a relatively gentle story about this magical street urchin and his hijinks. Maybe I was expecting more Oliver Twist than I got. Maybe 'family movie' is the better sorting bucket. A cigarette and train crash away from a G rating.

I'm also still salty the film lost Oscars to another (this one exceedingly mediocre) love letter to cinema.

Oh shit, that's right: It came out the same year as The Artist, didn't it.

I finally saw the Artist awhile back and Hazanavicius' Bond Spoofs were better made than the Artist was.

Not to say the Artist is a bad film, but I remember just being surprised that it wasn't even at the level of those OSS 117 movies.

To clarify, by 'for kids' I don't actually mean a kid's movie, just one that tells a relatively gentle story about this magical street urchin and his hijinks. Maybe I was expecting more Oliver Twist than I got. Maybe 'family movie' is the better sorting bucket. A cigarette and train crash away from a G rating.

Perhaps so. It's certainly something a whole family can watch, although my then-8-year-old was probably on the very edge of understanding it. It's emotionally complex at times.

It is gentle*, but it's also incredibly well-made from just about any point of view.

* Except maybe for the climax when poor Hugo is just about at his last thread. Oof, I cried my eyes out at that.

The shot of Vader's Star Destroyer jumping in as the rebellion is trying to escape is fucking great for this.

You know it.

iqEc2Wk.gif

The following shot(s) of Vader ain't too shabby either.

Puuz0tl.gif

There's definitely a lot to pick apart regarding Rogue One, but damn if that third act doesn't pull its weight.

J_Viper

Even if the OW isn't a banger, I can see Spidey having solid legs if reception from the GA is positive, and I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Apes is what I'm really worried about.

Hah! It wasn't until that gif (which I've actually shared on twitter before) that I noticed Vader jumps in and starts firing on whatever is in front of him in less than a fuckin' second.

I was so focused on ships either barely getting out of the way or smashing right into the front of it that I didn't even register dude dropping out of lightspeed on a fucking dime and immediately raking EVERYTHING in front of him with blaster fire.

I don't have the exact post, but I've mentioned previously that Dunkirk was the movie I didn't see doing that well, and I'm not too surprised by low tracking (three pages back).

The idea of Valerian tracking even lower does bother me however. I have no opinion on it, but I dislike the notion of a incomprehensible Bay movie making more money than Luc Besson at least trying at a second space opera.

Also, on Star Wars as one that's firmly stuck in the 1980s, doesn't it ever bother you guys that we're going to be stuck with the same shit basically forever?

edit: let's put that in BO terms: does anyone believe that a new SW or a new [insert franchise] can truly still happen?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I felt like an uncultured rube at the end of Hugo because I didn't really enjoy it. Yes it's a love letter to the history of cinema. It's also kind of a dull fairy tale, Amelie for kids, with a blue filter instead of a yellow one.
Until the Méliès bit takes off it's pretty dull.

Also, on Star Wars as one that's firmly stuck in the 1980s, doesn't it ever bother you guys that we're going to be stuck with the same shit basically forever?

edit: let's put that in BO terms: does anyone believe that a new SW or a new [insert franchise] can truly still happen?

I'm hoping that the second round of spin-offs are going to be off the fuckin' hook and not just [insert character/event backstory: The Movie].

And of course we'll eventually get a new "Star Wars" for after all, Avatar was only a few years ago (well, eight). Not quite as revolutionary, but pretty dang close.

Loris146

Rogue One is a better film than The Force Awakens

Meh. The final act is really good due to the well made action scenes and good fan service. I have some issues though:

1: First act is a fucking mess : you jump from a planet to another planet and it's not easy to follow the movie at all
2 : Characters are really boring in my opinion and i didn't care about them at all so i was not able to enjoy the final scenes of the movie ( I thought yeah that's cool but nothing more ).

The Force Awakens is a better film than Rogue One.

Like I appreciate what R1 went for, and Lucasfilm should definitely make more stuff like it (at least, tonally) but TFA is so much more watchable. There is no single sequence in Rogue One that stands up to the Jakku Falcon chase in TFA; it's just so... fun.

edit: I will say that a film what combines the quality of TFA's first act and R1's third act would be unstoppable

Ridley327

Are we still doing the report card thing? I'll try to keep it to stuff that I saw in theaters are aren't part of a larger repertory, like TCM Classics and the various Ghibli screenings that have been ongoing throughout the year, though I am so tempted to brag about some of that stuff:

-Silence: A+
-Fences: B
-One Piece Film: GOLD: B-
-The LEGO Batman Movie: B
-I Am Not Your Negro: A
-Logan: B
-Get Out: B+
-Hidden Figures: B
-Your Name.: B+ (no lie, our local theater had it playing for six weeks, which is absolutely astonishing for anything subtitled)
-Colossal: B
-Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2: B-/C+, depending on my mood
-Wonder Woman: B-, though thinking about the third act does get me pretty angry sometimes
-Baby Driver: B+

Lima

You really love watching films at the theater.

Ever since they started offering unlimited cards a couple years back I've been at the theater pretty much 4-5 times a week depending on what's running. I've also stopped watching films at home mostly. Only watch classics and older movies at home.

3N16MA

Banned
I'm not sure I could find 124 films to watch in theaters this year. I watch a boat load of films year round but only a select amount in theater.

EDIT: Just read your follow up post. We have no unlimited cards here in Ontario (not that I know of).

BumRush

Ever since they started offering unlimited cards a couple years back I've been at the theater pretty much 4-5 times a week depending on what's running. I've also stopped watching films at home mostly. Only watch classics and older movies at home.

Just curious, are you still in school?

Jawmuncher

An unlimited card in a city would be the dream. If I lived in an apartment and could just walk down the street to the theater....I'd see all kinds of movies. Out here though it's a good 30-40 minute drive. So I only go to the theater if i'm hell bent on seeing it.

Ridley327

Damn, Ridley. Guardians was the WORST movie you saw all year?

In a theater? I suppose, but with how streaming has played out these days, I've been watching plenty of films that way because theaters largely refuse to play some of them. And as I mentioned, I've been doing a ton of special screenings this year for older films, and I honestly can't think of one that hasn't been completely magical, with a special shoutout to my local vintage theater for the incredible job they did with their screening of Metropolis, as that might be my favorite film watching experience ever.

The worst film I've seen this thus far? Boy, you have no idea some of the shit I've had to deal with so far:
-The Night of Something Strange
-Death Race 2050
-Beyond the Gates

Those comprise what I dread will be the beginning of my "Fuck These Things in Particular" list.

Lima

I've definitely broadened my horizon since I got the unlimited card. I'm watching stuff that I wouldn't have paid to see without the cards. There is usually always something that interests me. Obviously there is real duds here and there but then I just walk out (happened twice this year with Bye Bye Man and Wolves at the Door) and don't feel like I wasted money.

Whenever I know I'm going to Berlin I don't watch stuff for like 2 weeks and then I'm there at 10am when they open and watch like 6 movies back to back on a Saturday. Good times.

Numbers:
Gru and his pesky minions ran amok at the July Fourth box-office picnic.

Early estimates for Tuesday show Universal and Illumination's Despicable Me 3 handily winning Independence Day with an estimated $13 million, putting the movie's five-day North American total at $99.3 million. Overseas, the movie has raked in $142.1 million for an early global haul of $241.4 million (it has yet to open in a number of major markets, including China.)

In the U.S., Tuesday was a relatively strong day for moviegoing considering July Fourth is always a challenge. Overall revenue was down roughly 7 percent from Monday, a smaller decline than usual for the holiday.

For the three-day weekend, Despicable Me 3 grossed $72.4 million domestically from 4,529 theaters. While that was notably behind the launch of Despicable Me 2 or spinoff Minions, it is still the best showing of the year to date for an animated film.

In 2013, Despicable Me 2 likewise launched over the Fourth of July frame, grossing $83.5 million for the weekend proper and $143.1 million in its Wednesday-Sunday debut. (That year, the holiday fell on a Thursday, so it was considered an official five-day opening, unlike this year.) And in summer 2015, spinoff Minions opened to a huge $115.7 million over the July 10-12 weekend.

Elsewhere, Edgar Wright's Baby Driver is still impressing in a much-needed win for Sony's film studio. The modestly budgeted heist-thriller grossed an estimated $4.4 million on Tuesday from 3,226 cinemas for a seven-day total of $39.1 million, well ahead of expectations. Baby Driver opened last Wednesday.

Sony's TriStar Pictures, MRC and Working Title partnered on the critically acclaimed pic, which Sony says cost $34 million to make after rebates. Ansel Elgort, Lily James, Jon Hamm, Kevin Spacey and Jamie Foxx star.

Baby Driver is doing laps around New Line and Village Roadshow's The House, which bombed over the weekend with $8.7 million for a sixth-place finish. Nor did the R-rated comedy, starring Will Ferrell and Amy Poehler, enjoy a boost from the actual holiday. The House earned a meek $1.5 million on Tuesday for a five-day total of $11.9 million.

The House, marking the worst wide opening of Ferrell's career, continues to place No. 6.

Warner Bros. and DC's Wonder Woman set off its own fireworks, coming in just behind Baby Driver on Tuesday with $4.1 million for a domestic total of $354.6 million. Paramount's Transformers: The Last Knight followed with $3.5 million for a total $109.1 million. Disney and Pixar's Cars 3 rounded out the top five with $2.1 million for a North American cume of $125.4 million.

Lima

Just curious, are you still in school?

Sure you can ask. I wish let me tell you that. But no I'm 29 and work in server administration for Vodafone.
I usually work from 7am-4pm. Instead of going home and doing whatever I usually hit the theater.

Sometimes the 5pm showings if I can make it. Mostly the 8pm and 11pm showings though. Helps that I live in the city and like 10 minutes walking distance from the theater I usually go to. So even when I get out of the theater at like 1:30am it's not that bad. I don't go to bed before 2-3am anyway. I've mostly been running on 3-4 hours of sleep a night and then sleep long on the weekend for like 10 years now. My body adapted to it, we'll see how long I can keep this up though.

3N16MA

Banned
Sure you can ask. I wish let me tell you that. But no I'm 29 and work in server administration for Vodafone.
I usually work from 7am-4pm. Instead of going home and doing whatever I usually hit the theater.

Sometimes the 5pm showings if I can make it. Mostly the 8pm and 11pm showings though. Helps that I live in the city and like 10 minutes walking distance from the theater I usually go to. So even when I get out of the theater at like 1:30am it's not that bad. I don't go to bed before 2-3am anyway. I've mostly been running on 3-4 hours of sleep a night and then sleep long on the weekend for like 10 years now. My body adapted to it, we'll see how long I can keep this up though.

Now I wish Cineplex offered unlimited cards.

How much does a card cost?

Lionsgate in Talks to Pick Up 'Hellboy' Reboot
The Hellboy reboot that will star Stranger Things’ David Harbour as the title character may have found a home.

Lionsgate is in final negotiations to pick up the project, which is titled Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen and has Neil Marshall on board to direct, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin are producing, as is Mike Richardson of Dark Horse Entertainment.

Hellboy is a unique franchise in that so far each installment has been released by a different studio. Adapting the works of comic creator Mike Mignola, the first movie was made by Revolution Studios and released by Sony in 2004. The sequel, Hellboy: The Golden Army, was made by Universal and released in 2008.

Both movies were directed by Guillermo del Toro and starred Ron Perlman as a demon raised by a kind, and human, professor, working to fight supernatural evildoers for an organization called Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense.

Del Toro and Perlman tried to launch a third installment, but budgetary issues proved to be challenging and the producers decided to instead venture forward with a reboot.

Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen is eyeing a fall shoot.

BumRush

Incredible! Good for you though, you clearly love it!!

Lima

Now I wish Cineplex offered unlimited cards.

How much does a card cost?

Depends. Two major chains offer them here in Germany (CinemaxX and UCI).

CinemaxX card is 399€ up front for a whole year, works out to 33,25€ a month.
UCI card is 22€ a month and you can pay monthly and cancel every month if you wish.

I own both but UCI doesn't have a cinema in my city (it's a 20 minute drive roughly) so I usually only go there for the big 3D blockbusters that I want to see on the largest screen possible and with Dolby Atmos sound as CinemaxX sadly doesn't have any Atmos screens yet. They have D-Box though which is pretty cool.

Average ticket price I'd say is around 10€ these days. With some 3D movies hitting 14-15€ so it works out if you just see like 4-5 movies a month. That's still too many movies for most people though.

When I was a kid an unlimited card was called "working at the local theater".

I saw nearly every movie released between '92 and '96.

Yeah that works too. If you are an employee here you can see every movie for free and even bring a friend. That's a nice perk.

That Tuesday number (unsurprisingly) seems very good for Wonder Woman no? Its only .3 million behind Baby Driver already and ahead of Transformers

Lima

Man 400 for WW would be lovely. Sadly my fellow German people didn't seem to watch it that much. I did 3 times though.

GhaleonEB

The litmus test for me when it comes down to frenetic editing is whether I can tell what's happening and know where everyone is at in a given moment. Baby Driver passes that for me.

I think we can at least agree that the editing is far more coherent than, say, Jason Bourne. :p
I haven't seen any of the Bourne movies, so I don't have that reference point, but I haven't heard good things in that regard (which is why I haven't seen them).

Sometimes I realize that there are a lot of long running, popular series that I've just plain skipped, and lack a lot of context for these conversations as a result. I have not seen any Bourne, Transformers or Fast/Furious movies. I skipped all the X-Men, except for Deadpool. Quite a few more.

Doing a disservice skipping Bourne just because of shaky cam complaints. Supremacy has one of the best car chases of the century. And that trilogy kind of ushered in a new breed of western action since you then saw the obvious influence in stuff like the Craig bond movies and Captain America 2 and 3

GhaleonEB

Doing a disservice skipping Bourne just because of shaky cam complaints. Supremacy has one of the best car chases of the century. And that trilogy kind of ushered in a new breed of western action since you then saw the obvious influence in stuff like the Craig bond movies and Captain America 2 and 3

I just have zero interest in seeing them. I've seen trailers, read reviews, know who is in them and who made them, observed their box office performance, and seem them discussed for years here on GAF. There's nothing there that appeals to me at all. (My wife and I started to watch the first one when it came out, but I went to do something different 30 minutes in.)

I don't actually like most chase scenes and definitely don't like most car chases, which is probably a factor. (I didn't want to see Baby Driver either, but wanted to see a movie, and that's what was new.)

*yells at cloud*

firelogic

I can't watch the Bourne movies because it's almost comical how much shaky-cam is used. Someone (jokingly) said the director yells, "action!" and kicks a camera down the stairs as his filming technique. Thank god there are directors like George Miller, Leitch/Stahelski, and Zack Snyder, all of whom like to make their action awesome while being able to see everything in the frame without wanting to throw up or pop a few maximum strength Advils.

Edit: And the Wachowski siblings. Even though their movies have been pretty bad since the first Matrix and Speed Racer.

Top Bottom