• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Saw Baby Driver and it was good, one of the few films that I could not predict how it was going to end. I'm not sure if I would recommend it or tell people to wait for Redbox. It's defintley more of a smart film then a pure action film.

Also someone was trying to argue Rouge One was worst than Episode One?? Are you serious? I would even put it above Episode 7, because at least it tries new ideas as where Episode 7 is merely a re-hash of Episode 4. I've also only seen 1, R1, 4 and 7.

This is objectively incorrect.

Agreed fully

On the low end in 4,341 theaters, industry estimates figure that Homecoming can make as little as $90M, while more aggressive estimates are at $120M-plus. Sony sees $80M+, but that’s considered too conservative even in a franchise fatigued marketplace.

Yep which is why the top grossing flicks of this year were more than half superhero ones.

The narrative must be maintained.

kswiston

This thread had a lot of activity today.

Those of you who want to get in on B-G-E's Spider-man prediction game have a little less than 2 hours.

I have enjoyed reading people's report cards. I doesn't look like my opinions were too far away from the norm in most cases. Therefore, it looks like I will have to see Get Out in the near future. Is it on home video yet?

Tuesday holds were good across the board, so expect some brutal drops tomorrow.

Rough Night took a 72% dive over the weekend. It looks like it might not even hit $25M total. Originally the opening weekend tracking had it in that range.

GhaleonEB

Movies I've seen this year in theaters (a few more on video):

Split - B
A Cure For Wellness - D
Batman Lego - B+
John Wick 2 - B+
Get Out - A
Kong: Skull Island - B-
Beauty and the Beast - B
Life - C
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - B
Alien: Covenant - D-
Baywatch - B-
It Comes at Night - C
Wonder Woman - A-
Baby Driver - B

I'd forgotten Get Out released this year. I'd rate it higher than anything else so far, but at the same time, I enjoyed WW more. Not sure which I'd put above the other, despite the craftsmanship that went into Get Out.

I have also not seen any of Cruise's Mission Impossible movies.

This is objectively correct.

Nah. Rogue One was a pretty looking bad movie with a great space battle.

I don't dislike Force Awakens but it has a lot of issues. People go at Rogue One for it's flaws (which it has for sure) but Awakens had even bigger ones to me.

There is a lot there for The Last Jedi to build on and it has really great new characters but the 3rd act of Rogue One was so much higher of a high than anything Awakens gave me.

It might be my least favorite JJ Abrams film. Actually nah that's MI3. Still I like both of his Trek movies much more than TFA

This thread had a lot of activity today.

Those of you who want to get in on B-G-E's Spider-man prediction game have a little less than 2 hours.

I have enjoyed reading people's report cards. I doesn't look like my opinions were too far away from the norm in most cases. Therefore, it looks like I will have to see Get Out in the near future. Is it on home video yet?

Tuesday holds were good across the board, so expect some brutal drops tomorrow.

Rough Night took a 72% dive over the weekend. It looks like it might not even hit $25M total. Originally the opening weekend tracking had it in that range.

Since May. $24 on Amazon if you want a Blu-ray

Also random thought I had: what's the highest grossing original superhero film? Hancock?

I don't dislike Force Awakens but it has a lot of issues. People go at Rogue One for it's flaws (which it has for sure) but Awakens had even bigger ones to me.

There is a lot there for The Last Jedi to build on and it has really great new characters but the 3rd act of Rogue One was so much higher of a high than anything Awakens gave me.

It might be my least favorite JJ Abrams film. Actually nah that's MI3. Still I like both of his Trek movies much more than TFA

Agreed that Rogue One has an amazing third act... But.. TFA worse than MI:3, Super 8, and Into Darkness?

Nah, man. Shit naw, man.

TFA is the 3rd best Star Wars film and is epic from beginning to end.

golem

The Empire Strikes Back: A+
The Force Awakens: A
A New Hope: A
Return of the Jedi: B
Rogue One: B-
The Phantom Menace: C
Revenge of the Sith: D+
Attack of the Clones: D

4 (ish) hour warning! :O

Made a chart of everyone's predictions here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SfCuEITMZL4YTSegKelav-sePrLFZJuZJe02vBgvO_4/edit#gid=0

To reiterate, we are gifting steam games to the persons with the best OW predictions. In the event of a tie, the DOM prediction will be used, so please provide at least an OW and DOM prediction if you would like to participate. The deadline is 11:59PM PST on July 5. Please let me know if I made any errors.

Prizes will include Dishonored 2, Doom, XCOM (now 1 and 2 :) ), and a couple others pending. Whoever gets 1st place will have their pick, then 2nd place will, and so on.

Users with an OW but no DOM prediction: Prompto, Broncobuster, ZeoVGM, Slayven
Users with DOM prediction but no OW: Freeza Under The Shower

Maybe he only saw the first ten minutes with the dancing and lip-synch and walked out

Wouldn't blame him. Good movie, but that shit was TERRIBLE

Nah it was great. Movie is amazing straight through to the end aside from some of the waitress dialogue

Also fuck a rogue one. Second worst star wars movie. One of the most boring ones too. Good cast though

Agreed that Rogue One has an amazing third act... But.. TFA worse than MI:3, Super 8, and Into Darkness?

Nah, man. Shit naw, man.

TFA is the 3rd best Star Wars film and is epic from beginning to end.

I love Into Darkness and Super 8.

Force Awakens was pretty disappointing to me. Shits about to get really controversial but I even like Revenge of the Sith more than it.

The best thing TFA did was bring an awesome new cast of characters and actors for this franchise. I love Poe, Finn, Rey, Kylo etc. But I didn't love the movie by any means. I think Last Jedi has incredible potential to build off of that foundation though.

J_Viper

You guys are crazy. Me and my cuz were so close to walking out during that second dance scene in Baby Driver lol

Also, not really a negative, but I was sad that Jon Bernthal was in the movie for a whole three minutes.

As much as I like Don Draper, those two should have switched roles. I think Bernthal would have sold that character way better.

Also fuck a rogue one. Second worst star wars movie.
dude
images

Ridley327

Did Blair Witch 2 kill the found footage genre? Can't remember seeing one in a while

It was already pretty much dead when it hit. I think they banked hard on the unexpectedness of making a direct sequel to the original (rather than whatever the hell they were trying to accomplish with Book of Shadows), and as it turned out, there weren't too many takers after all.

wachie

Depends. Two major chains offer them here in Germany (CinemaxX and UCI).

CinemaxX card is 399€ up front for a whole year, works out to 33,25€ a month.
UCI card is 22€ a month and you can pay monthly and cancel every month if you wish.

I own both but UCI doesn't have a cinema in my city (it's a 20 minute drive roughly) so I usually only go there for the big 3D blockbusters that I want to see on the largest screen possible and with Dolby Atmos sound as CinemaxX sadly doesn't have any Atmos screens yet. They have D-Box though which is pretty cool.

Average ticket price I'd say is around 10€ these days. With some 3D movies hitting 14-15€ so it works out if you just see like 4-5 movies a month. That's still too many movies for most people though.
Wow, this sounds like an awesome incentive every theatre chain should offer.

You guys are crazy. Me and my cuz were so close to walking out during that second dance scene in Baby Driver lol

Also, not really a negative, but I was sad that Jon Bernthal was in the movie for a whole three minutes.

As much as I like Don Draper, those two should have switched roles. I think Bernthal would have sold that character way better.

dude
images

Nah man. Jon Hamm and Eiza were sexy as hell bruv. In a way that bernthal could not have done. Plus it was so good seeing Don Draper pull a full heel turn as the movie progressed

I still think they shoulda pulled a swerve with Paranormal Activity. Advertise it like it is a normal entry, found footage and all. Then about ten minutes into the film of found footage, it shuts off and you realize everything was just tapes that this secret society that was trying to hunt down the coven of witches (or whatever the fuck they were) from all the films. Then the rest of the film is like Supernatural, with a team of hunters or whatever trying to take down the coven. Violence and mayhem ensues.

Slayven

It was already pretty much dead when it hit. I think they banked hard on the unexpectedness of making a direct sequel to the original (rather than whatever the hell they were trying to accomplish with Book of Shadows), and as it turned out, there weren't too many takers after all.
I will always say there is a shelf life to sequals, 5 years after the last one. Anything past that you should just remake or reboot.
I still think they shoulda pulled a swerve with Paranormal Activity. Advertise it like it is a normal entry, found footage and all. Then about ten minutes into the film of found footage, it shuts off and you realize everything was just tapes that this secret society that was trying to hunt down the coven of witches (or whatever the fuck they were) from all the films. Then the rest of the film is like Supernatural, with a team of hunters or whatever trying to take down the coven. Violence and mayhem ensues.

Holy shit have there ever been a series that did a genre shift?

I've actually had similar thoughts for a while now. Though for mine it was a SWAT team or the like in a enclosed space vs coven of witches/Tobeh/Katy.

Top Bottom