• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

Toa TAK

Banned
I think Raimi's Spider-Man movies will always be relevant and part of pop culture, but that doesn't mean that newer Spider-Man movies can't be as good or better.

I don't think a Spider-Man movie will ever have the same impact that the first two Raimi ones did (at least not to me).
I feel you 100%. Spider-Man 2 is still up there as one of the best superhero films for me, but I don't see why there can't be a Spider-Man movie that's as good or better.

In fact, that more or less says a lot about storytelling in Hollywood if they can't top movies from 13 years ago.

Schlorgan

I feel you 100%. Spider-Man 2 is still up there as one of the best superhero films for me, but I don't see why there can't be a Spider-Man movie that's as good or better.

In fact, that more or less says a lot about storytelling in Hollywood if they can't top movies from 13 years ago.
I think making that claim is like saying (if Reeves' Batman movie is great) that all previous Batman movies are irrelevant. No matter how good the movie is, I don't know if that's possible.

In a few years time The Amazing Spider-Man movies are going to be such a strange anomaly among ththe r franchise.

There's the beloved Raimi films, then the interconnected MCU films, and for a couple of years in between there was an odd attempt that didn't go anywhere.

Bronx-Man

Banned
In a few years time The Amazing Spider-Man movies are going to be such a strange anomaly among ththe r franchise.

There's the beloved Raimi films, then the interconnected MCU films, and for a couple of years in between there was an odd attempt that didn't go anywhere.

Quality-wise, the Spider-Man movies mirror the Batman movies at this point.

Raimi's Spider-Man = Burton's Batman
ASM = Schumacher's Batman
MCU Spidey = NolanBats

Anth0ny

Yup.

I didn't think X2 would ever be topped as an Xmen movie, then Logan happened.

I didn't like Homecoming more than Spidey 1 or 2, but I'm totally hoping it happens and 100% open to telling everyone that the new movie > the old classic.

It just needs to happen ;)

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Homecoming renders all previous Spiderman "films" irrelevent.
That's "ridiculous".
It hit all the Spiderman notes, while the previous movies missed some pretty big ones. And I say that as a person that hates High School Spiderman
Homecoming is missing a lot of important Spider-Man notes - the melodrama, the seriousness of Peter's struggles, the weight of his responsibility as Spider-Man.

$175m kids

It's happening

I know these things

It's preview numbers are right around Iron Man 3 which made 174m, although I don't understand what happened with that movie and how it took off so much. Looking at other films with similar Thursdays none of them are close to IM3

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I saw all of that in there though.
It's not melodramatic at all, doesn't go into 'why' he has to be Spider-Man and make all these sacrifices, doesn't treat the sacrifices very seriously. It's too light and comedic to convey the fullness of the character.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's not melodramatic at all, doesn't go into 'why' he has to be Spider-Man and make all these sacrifices, doesn't treat the sacrifices very seriously. It's too light and comedic to convey the fullness of the character.
Like the rest of the MCU, save for Captain America (and Stark in Civil War).

The Empire Strikes Back: A+
The Force Awakens: A
A New Hope: A
Return of the Jedi: B
Rogue One: B-
The Phantom Menace: C
Revenge of the Sith: D+
Attack of the Clones: D

Couldn't have done it better myself

Well...

TPM: D-
AotC: Z-
RotS: F

Guardians of the Galaxy is the 6th best SW film

Quality-wise, the Spider-Man movies mirror the Batman movies at this point.

Raimi's Spider-Man = Burton's Batman
ASM = Schumacher's Batman
MCU Spidey = NolanBats

This is strangely on-point

Star Wars Grades:

1: F
2: F
3: F
4: F
5: F
6: F
7: D-

Rogue One: B+!

It's preview numbers are right around Iron Man 3 which made 174m, although I don't understand what happened with that movie and how it took off so much. Looking at other films with similar Thursdays none of them are close to IM3

T O N Y
S T A R K

Slayven

That's "ridiculous".

Homecoming is missing a lot of important Spider-Man notes - the melodrama, the seriousness of Peter's struggles, the weight of his responsibility as Spider-Man.

We going to forget him trying to balance being Spidey vs being Peter and what happened when the streams crossed?

Avengers happened.

I mean the Thursday through Sunday trend for it's opening weekend. It doesn't have the drop that almost every other movie with a similar preview has. And I don't even feel like it had amazing word of mouth going for it.

Beauty and the Beast made 18m for a preview and STILL came in more than 20 million under IM3, which should have been way more heavily frontloaded than a Disney film.

Anth0ny

My order is still:

2 greatest films of all time tier:

Empire
Star Wars

High tier:

Jedi

Very good tier:

Rogue one

Fucking piece of shit fuck my life tier:

Sith
Clones
Tpm

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
We going to forget him trying to balance being Spidey vs being Peter and what happened when the streams crossed?
It's gestured to but not explored in any kind of depth
because the movie doesn't really care about Liz

I have no trouble ranking SW movies relative to themselves. But when I compare them to movies as a whole-- well, there are quality issues. But they are also iconic as hell.

No way any SW movie is top tier for me, though, even among action/adventure films.

More from Deadline, they of "accurate" predictions.

“It’s definitely going over $100M, there’s no way the wheels are falling off this one.”

Those are the words of a wise rival distribution executive on the expected results for Sony/Marvel’s Spider-Man: Homecoming, which on the low end is looking at a three-day of $105M. That’s bound to be the third best debut for both a Sony release and a Spider-Man movie following 2007’s Spider-Man 3 ($151.1M) and the original 2002 film ($114.8M). Some even see Homecoming busting past $112M, possibly even hitting $120M, but it’s still too early to call those figures

legend166

Huh? Storytelling isn't something that just naturally improves at a linear rate.

Expecting that a newer film should be better than older films just because it's newer is really weird.

FTF

What an incredible month for films

Yup, amazing month. It's been a long time since there's been back to back top quality movies like this.

Baby Driver
Spider-Man
A Ghost Story
Apes 3
Dunkirk

If Valerian and Atomic Blonde are good too, I'm going to have to look back and check if there's been a more loaded month.

Wonder Woman is now only $2m behind Spider-Man at the same point in its release.

Road to $400m here we go.

As for actually memorable MCU themes, I definitely get Silvestri's Avengers theme stuck in my head from time to time as well as Tyler's Iron Man 3 theme (and Can You Dig It, the ending theme), and Giacchino's Doctor Strange theme.

Speaking as someone who got into Star Wars relatively late in his life (teens) and mostly from video games, Empire Strikes Back is the one exceptionally great entry imo. Star Wars and A Force Awakens are good and find. Return of the Jedi has a handful of great scenes but mostly sloppy. Prequels, including the Clone Wars movie and Rogue One, are all sloppy.

I have faith in Rian Johnson to do something interesting with TLJ.

Yup, amazing month. It's been a long time since there's been back to back top quality movies like this.

Baby Driver
Spider-Man
A Ghost Story
Apes 3
Dunkirk

If Valerian and Atomic Blonde are good too, I'm going to have to look back and check if there's been a more loaded month.

The Big Sick finally opened near me today as well.

BumRush

Baby Driver
Spider-Man
A Ghost Story
Apes 3
Dunkirk

Yup, that's a lot of must see films (in my eyes).

Top Bottom