• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

blakep267

After Ghost in the Shell's performance, I'm sure that's on ice. Even if Naruto is more popular.

Speaking of the 'Bleach' movie getting a teaser, wasn't Naruto going to get a Hollywood movie?
I think GITS hurt Scarlett Johannsen more than it did anime movies. I don't see her getting any more big budget solo movies. Even the smaller budget Girls bachelor party movie didn't do that great

Also the naruto thing was only announced 6-7 months ago. Probably wouldn't see it anytime soon

Yeah that's a very strong preview number

Provided this isn't heavily frontloaded even more than other Marvel films we are looking at a pretty monster opening weekend being likely

Don't know why anyone was worried about this movie ever.

It looked fun and was always going to make bank.

With Sony Pictures' history lately I think it's reasonable to be a littleeeeee worried about anything they're attached to. Even though we knew Marvel was doing the bulk of the lifting on this.

Some context for that Thursday preview number

0ps6iBb.png

Sony takes the money from the film. Disney gets the merchandise money and saves Spidey from being rotten on screen.

They also get the revenue bump from him being featured in other MCU movies. So while they may not reap the box office rewards from this particular movie they do get the money from the boost he provides to Avengers, Civil War, etc. So it seems to work out pretty nicely for everyone

More context on the numbers from Variety:

Sony-Marvel’s “Spider-Man: Homecoming” swung to an impressive $15.4 million at 3,493 North American sites on Thursday night.

It was the third-highest Thursday night preview gross of 2017, trailing only “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” with $17 million and “Beauty and the Beast” with $16.3 million.

Loris146

The wom is going to be good i think. I really liked the movie and the same is happening here on gaf.

Marvel did a great job.

Honestly really good for both sides. Seems very sustainable, hopefully egos remain in check

IMO, the only thing that can derail this in the immediate future is Sony getting particularly stupid with the spin-offs (and I mean quality, not the amount of them). Remember that Feige and the Marvel execs more than likely do actually get to read the scripts and pre-production stuff on all the Spider movies (they panned what they read of ASM2 before/during production), so it would behoove Sony to actually listen if they have any input to give on these movies, even though they're in the same "really-not really" MCU territory as Marvel TV is.

The Wonder Woman comparisons are already annoying me. This is apples to oranges. People need to stop trying to tear down WW's success.

Huh? No one is bringing WW down. It's a film in the same genre, looking at it's preview numbers is very helpful when comparing it to Spidey and how it will perform.

Just because Spidey is likely going to outgross it doesn't take anything away from Wonder Woman's run.

Tobor

So it's possible Homecoming will make double what ASM3 would have made opening weekend, assuming ASM 3 would have continued the slide, which is likely.

Jigorath

Banned
So it's possible Homecoming will make double what ASM3 would have made opening weekend, assuming ASM 3 would have continued the slide, which is likely.

ASM3 would have declined like Pirates 5 and Transformers 5.

Bringing in Marvel revitalized the Spidey brand.

HeySeuss

They also get the revenue bump from him being featured in other MCU movies. So while they may not reap the box office rewards from this particular movie they do get the money from the boost he provides to Avengers, Civil War, etc. So it seems to work out pretty nicely for everyone

Technically true, but I'm not sure if adding Spider-Man to an already stacked lineup gives Marvel any type of noticable bump. I mean if you're not already interested in watching the Avengers, the addition of Spider-Man isn't going to push you over the edge to watch.

If he was the costar of a character film I could see it though. Ant Man having Spider-Man as a supporting character for example would probably give Ant Man a noticeable bump.

Busty

Banned
I have to admit, despite being done with Spider-Man after the super-duper rubbishy ASM films I actually really enjoyed Homecoming.

Wisely it feels like this is a light, high school comedy first and a Spider-Man film second. All the action beats worked and the performances were good too.

I'm still not sure that this is going to break out among the non Marvel core audience but I suppose we'll see how it fares in it's second weekend.

I personally thought it was much better than the wildly overrated Civil War and Dr Strange.

Lima

The high school stuff is a huge draw for me personally. I love that setting. It's great to hear that they nailed that part of the movie.

Toa TAK

Banned
Homecoming's score is charming as hell. Giacchino's better work since Rogue One. His Apes score is out, too, and supposed to be good.

Slayven

Homecoming renders all previous Spiderman "films" irrelevent.

And the showiings this morning was pretty pcked, the numbers might be good

FTF

Homecoming renders all previous Spiderman "films" irrelevent.

And the showiings this morning was pretty pcked, the numbers might be good

That's some hot opening day/knee-jerk hyperbole right there. I saw it last night and it was great, but no, no it does not.

Slayven

That's some hot opening day/knee-jerk hyperbole right there. I saw it last night and it was great, but no, no it does not.

It hit all the Spiderman notes, while the previous movies missed some pretty big ones. And I say that as a person that hates High School Spiderman

Schlorgan

I think Raimi's Spider-Man movies will always be relevant and part of pop culture, but that doesn't mean that newer Spider-Man movies can't be as good or better.

I don't think a Spider-Man movie will ever have the same impact that the first two Raimi ones did (at least not to me).

Top Bottom