• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 6•24-26•16 - ID4:2 & Deadpool bump (lol) not enough; Dory just keeps swimming~

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

The Magnificent Seven
Doctor Strange
Storks
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Fantastic Beasts
Trolls
Moana
Sing
Passegners
Rogue One

How many of those hit 100M?

Storks looks like trash, so hopefully not that.

Doc Strange, Fantastic Beasts, Moana, Sing, and Rogue One are locks. Trolls, probably. Dreamworks doesn't have that many films under $100M. Passengers is going to depend on reviews, as will Magnificent Seven to some extent.

I don't know about Ms Peregrine's. Time Burton hasn't had a film over $100M since Alice, and that was his only film over the mark in the past decade. No one even bothered going to his last film.

MisterHero

TRON 3 didn't die because Tron: Legacy was mediocre, TRON died because of Tomorrowland.

so yeah, it's not your fault TRON. It's not your fault... :(

I bet Magnificent Seven takes off. Everytime I've seen that trailer run, the audience I'm with has reacted, and basically in the same way every time:

1) Oh shit, Denzel is a cowboy
2) Oh shit, it's Chris Pratt
3) Oh shit, this is The Magnificent Seven

kswiston

Disney was hoping that Tron would be their next POTC series, and that didn't pan out.

I think that Disney has given up on finding a New POTC series though. They'll drive the cartoon remakes/sequels/whatever into the ground, and coast on safe animation, Marvel, and Star Wars for the next decade.

Look at Disney's confirmed release slate in 2017:

Beauty and the Beast (2017) - 3/17/17
Born in China - 4/21/17
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 5/5/17
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 5/26/17
Cars 3 - 6/16/17
Untitled Disney Fairy-Tale (2017) - 7/28/17
Thor: Ragnarok - 11/3/17
Coco - 11/22/17
Star Wars: Episode VIII - 12/15/17

Born in China is some Disneynature thing on Pandas that is basically done as a charity write off.

Cars 3 is a $150M toy commercial. Other than the unannounced July film, everything else is as close to risk free as you are going to get. Ironically, Pirates 5 is probably the riskiest film on that slate.

Disney was hoping that Tron would be their next POTC series, and that didn't pan out.

They were battling from way too far back anyway. Tron: Legacy was like Force Awakens in that you were trying to revive an IP, but real recognizing real, Tron was a shit movie and Star Wars is the biggest film franchise in history

I bet Magnificent Seven takes off. Everytime I've seen that trailer run, the audience I'm with has reacted, and basically in the same way every time:

1) Oh shit, Denzel is a cowboy
2) Oh shit, it's Chris Pratt
3) Oh shit, this is The Magnificent Seven
Same feeling. Of course, I thought ID4R would hit big. What do I know?

The real test for Pratt (and JLaw) is Passengers.

kswiston

I have been getting the feeling that audiences have cooled on Jlaw in the past year. The last one of her films that hasn't come in under expectations was Days of Future Past.

Magnificent Seven does strike me as something that might dethrone American Gangster as Denzel's personal best. Him and Antoine Fuqua have had pretty good success together as well.

I have been getting the feeling that audiences have cooled on Jlaw in the past year. The last one of her films that hasn't come in under expectations was Days of Future Past.

Magnificent Seven does strike me as something that might dethrone American Gangster as Denzel's personal best. Him and Antoine Fuqua have had pretty good success together as well.
Fuqua is Denzel's new Tony Scott?
RIP Tony.

kswiston

The Incredibles was Pixar's second biggest film after Finding Nemo until Up came out 5 years later. I don't think there's any possibility of a sequel bombing.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Possibly. It's going to need BvS money to break even. Maybe more than that.

More. Shit is already $300M+ without tax rebates. Add the rumored $50M extra to production costs due to Johnny Depp's injuries, it's a loss leader theatrically.

I'm thinking Disney's relationship with Jerry Bruckheimer and Johnny ends after this indefinitely.

I mean, I think I'd be on friendly terms with the director that directed me to an Oscar, too.
He didn't deserve it for that. Training Day, and Denzel's performance in it are overrated. Denzel always did consistently better work under Tony Scott.

Everyone talks about how awesome and scary Denzel was in Training Day, while I think he was much better and infinitely scarier in Man on Fire.

More. Shit is already $300M+ without tax rebates. Add the rumored $50M extra to production costs due to Johnny Depp's injuries, it's a loss leader theatrically.

I'm thinking their relationship with Jerry Bruckheimer and Johnny ends after this indefinitely.

And Disney can't really ride the merchandising train as hard on that one either.

Ridley327

He didn't deserve it for that. Training Day, and Denzel's performance in it are overrated. Denzel always did consistently better work under Tony Scott.

Everyone talks about how awesome and scary Denzel was in Training Day, while I think he was much better and infinitely scarier in Man on Fire.

I'm not sure what Tony did that got the Academy so consistently against recognizing him. Yeah, he was much more commercial-minded than his older brother, but who can hate on the guy that directed, among other things, the music videos for Danger Zone and One More Try?

Jackasses, that's who!

I'm not sure what Tony did that got the Academy so consistently against recognizing him. Yeah, he was much more commercial-minded than his older brother, but who can hate on the guy that directed, among other things, the music videos for Danger Zone and One More Try?

Jackasses, that's who!

Nothing really Oscar worthy from Tony, but the man was always very solid with his output. Hell, half the fun of Crimson Tide was just Denzel and Hackman yelling at each other.

kswiston

Much like Crowe's win for Gladiator was an apology for him not winning for The Insider.

Ya, the Academy can be backwards like that. Denzel didn't win for Malcolm X because the Academy realized that they never gave Al Pacino his statue back when he really deserved it in the 70s.

vinnygambini

Doubt it. 4 was almost the top grossing entry in the damn franchise somehow. It'll do alright

I'm betting on currency headwinds, lower domestic ($241M) & Japan ($108M) gross than its predecessor for such a result - which I believe could be the case for Pirates 5, don't think China will save it, but we'll see.

Now about that Tron 3, I WANT IT DISNEY!

vinnygambini

I thought that was Prince of Persia and The Lone Ranger.

Other fine, successful and profitable Jerry Bruckheimer produced films....

You forgot The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Disney so done with him after P5.

kswiston

It looks like Me Before You will end up over $150M worldwide on its $20M budget. It's currently coming off a $19.5M weekend with $111M to date. I guess we can expect to see Emilia Clarke in more films.

The Conjuring 2 made $28.7M this weekend worldwide, bring its total to $243M. The first film made $318M. The Conjuring 2 might not make it quite that high but it will be close.

The Jungle Book will end up needing $55-60M from Japan to hit the $1B mark. Last year, Cinderella made $47M in Japan.

X-Men Apocalypse made $6M worldwide this weekend, bringing its total to $525M. It still has an opening in Japan in August, but Japan doesn't give a shit about the X-Men. DOFP made less than $10M there. It's looking like Vinny was on the mark with his $550M forecast way back when.

Incredible 2nd week for Finding Dory. What does it face next week?

162738-no-one-of-consequence-gif-Imgu-UuPD.gif

Edwins

X-Men Apocalypse made $6M worldwide this weekend, bringing its total to $525M. It still has an opening in Japan in August, but ]Japan doesn't give a shit about the X-Men. DOFP made less than $10M there. It's looking like Vinny was on the mark with his $550M forecast way back when.

Japan LOVES X-Men. They gave the cartoon a crazy (great) theme song of their own, Capcom used them heavily in their fighting games, hell, their manga even blatantly ripped off the character designs.

kenshin_v02_071.jpg

They don't love the Fox-Men, and for good reason. They're decent movies in their own right, but mediocre adaptations of the material. If Fox could be bothered to properly adapt X-Men it would be a massive franchise (as seen with Deadpool, a proper adaptation that creamed every regular X-flick).

Bluth54

TRON 3 didn't die because Tron: Legacy was mediocre, TRON died because of Tomorrowland.

so yeah, it's not your fault TRON. It's not your fault... :(
I would say Tron died because Legacy only did okay business and then Disney bought Star Wars so they didn't need Tron anymore.

I would say Tron died because Legacy only did okay business and then Disney bought Star Wars so they didn't need Tron anymore.

Which is funny to me because I think Legacy was the better revival

But yeah they don't need Tron

They DO need National Treasure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom