• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 6•24-26•16 - ID4:2 & Deadpool bump (lol) not enough; Dory just keeps swimming~

Status
Not open for further replies.
To drive home how much ID4-2 isn't Jurassic World, this opening weekend came in at $13m less than JW's third weekend. Hell, ID4-2's domestic total is looking like it will be smaller than JW's second weekend.

Edwins

The original Jurassic Park had a different type of reverence than your average 90s nostalgia pull. It was the kind of movie that for the most part was genuinely beloved by people, and those people grew up and wanted to share that with their kids, which I think was a lot of the pull of JW. I don't think ID4 ever had this. It was a fun movie when it came out (and I watched it like 3 times in theaters) but it didn't take more than a few years worth of repeat viewings for the perception of that movie to change into "yeah it's not very good".

Yeah, Jurassic World was a different beast. That was greenlit before this 90's nostalgia thing that was making the rounds a while back. Jurassic Park has managed to stand the test of time, so it was reasonable to try again even if the previous sequels were lousy.

It's more the stuff like "Avengers-style movie starring the Nicktoons" that sound iffy. What's next, a "Finding Dory-style movie starring Big Mouth Billy Bass"?

I wonder how well IDR would be doing if Will Smith was in it.

While it almost certainly would have done at least somewhat better, I honestly don't think it would have done that much better. Especially since they probably still would have focused heavily on the weak "next generation" cast.

I don't ever want to see Spielberg complain about superheroes ever again when he puts out dumb looking shit like BFG, fuck outta here man.

This is the same dude who directed Saving Private Ryan? What a fucking shame.

Edwins

I haven't seen the film, but in general it doesn't seem like actors sell movies these days (at least domestically). Arnold didn't seem to help Genisys, for example. It may have given the film a minor boost, but it may not have even been enough to cover his paycheck. It's not really a star driven business right now, it's about the "event". People didn't care about this event.

kswiston

Monday numbers:

Finding Dory - $10.2M - $296M total
ID4R - $3.8M - $45M total
The Shallows - $2.3M - $19M total

Toy Story 3 made $8.9M in its second Monday.

Just to beat that horse a bit more... ID4 made $8.2M on its first Monday, which adjusts to $16M today. It's delirious the gulf between the two performances, but definitely fascinating to watch such a worst-case scenario box office run.

kswiston

Terminator Genisys made $3.4M on its first Monday. Since Genisys opened on a Wednesday, ID4R is actually about $1M behind Genisys' total after both films' first Monday.

GhaleonEB

How does Dory's Mon/Mon drop compare to other animation films?

Don't have time to check many, but Toy Story 3's second Sun-Mon drop was 52.5%, vs. 53.6% with Dory, so pretty comparable. Their weekend comparison is nearly identical as well - 46% drop for Dory vs. 46.2%.

Frozen was when school was in session, so it's not a good comparison. Finding Nemo dropped 69.5%, but that was early June and most schools were still in session. From those TS3 is the best comp. I'm sure others can find better ones.

So far it's tracking to TS3 tightly. If it ends up with the same OW multiplier, Dory lands around $509m domestic.

Edit: I misread you as asking about Sun-Mon drops. So there's that. :\

kswiston

How does Dory's Mon/Mon drop compare to other animation films?

1st Monday to 2nd Monday drops

Finding Dory - 47.8%

Inside Out -34.0%
Toy Story 3 - 42.8%
Despicable Me 2 - 46.3%
Minions - 55.4%

Last Monday probably had spill-over from Sunday though since Dory had the best Sun to Mon drop and the worst Sat to Sun drop iirc.

EDIT:

Finding Dory is currently #6 for 2016 domestically.

Dory will pass BvS on Thursday, Zootopia on Friday, The Jungle book on Saturday, and Deadpool on either Saturday as well or on Sunday.

Civil War will fall some time in the following week.

Yeah, Jurassic World was a different beast. That was greenlit before this 90's nostalgia thing that was making the rounds a while back. Jurassic Park has managed to stand the test of time, so it was reasonable to try again even if the previous sequels were lousy.

It's more the stuff like "Avengers-style movie starring the Nicktoons" that sound iffy. What's next, a "Finding Dory-style movie starring Big Mouth Billy Bass"?

Take me to the river if you want to live!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Looks like The Conjuring will leg it out to $100M.
rejoice.png

Kinda weird how this random youtube channel got such a good interview with him. Did she run into him in the neighborhood or something

I dont think George liked it either. "The fans got what they wanted". Yes, exactly what they wanted and nothing they didnt know they wanted like Star Wars was originally.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Just finished the full interview, it was fantastic and can't wait for Avatar and Alita. And I couldn't agree more with him on Star Wars. I was left sorely disappointed, but at the same time, I'm eagerly anticipating what Lucasfilm does with Episode 8 and where the story goes.

The real question is how random film class students can now get 20 minute interviews with James Cameron to talk about his filmmaking process. My university film class just had random D-list screenwriters.

Jurassic World was clearly banking on the nostalgia of a good movie (Jurassic Park) while ID4-2 was banking on the nostalgia of a bad movie without its biggest star. Box office is more dependent on quality and word of mouth more now than its ever been. A bad movie isn't going to do well no matter what. Look at Terminator, look at Robocop, look at Batman v Superman: Made Less than Deadpool at the US box office. If ID4-2 is bad, then nobody's going to see it.

-griffy-

Banned
The salty will jump on this but it is absolutely right.
Only salt evident is those so quick to prop up what is a fairly minimal and political statement and proclaim he obviously hated the movie and is right and telling it like it is and just saying what's true and anyone who can't deal with it is an idiot.

kmfdmpig

BvS's $330M looks better now than it did in April, I'll tell you that much.

It is interesting to see a lot of big budget movies either flop or under-perform. Does anyone have a good sense of why that is?
Is it that there are too many blockbuster movies made now which need massive popularity to break even?
Is the fear of people settling to watch most movies at home rather than going to the theater playing out?
Is this year's poor performance just about the individual films more than any significant trends?

BumRush

Don't have time to check many, but Toy Story 3's second Sun-Mon drop was 52.5%, vs. 53.6% with Dory, so pretty comparable. Their weekend comparison is nearly identical as well - 46% drop for Dory vs. 46.2%.

Frozen was when school was in session, so it's not a good comparison. Finding Nemo dropped 69.5%, but that was early June and most schools were still in session. From those TS3 is the best comp. I'm sure others can find better ones.

So far it's tracking to TS3 tightly. If it ends up with the same OW multiplier, Dory lands around $509m domestic.

Edit: I misread you as asking about Sun-Mon drops. So there's that. :\

No, this was perfect.

1st Monday to 2nd Monday drops

Finding Dory - 47.8%

Inside Out -34.0%
Toy Story 3 - 42.8%
Despicable Me 2 - 46.3%
Minions - 55.4%

Last Monday probably had spill-over from Sunday though since Dory had the best Sun to Mon drop and the worst Sat to Sun drop iirc.

EDIT:

Finding Dory is currently #6 for 2016 domestically.

Dory will pass BvS on Thursday, Zootopia on Friday, The Jungle book on Saturday, and Deadpool on either Saturday as well or on Sunday.

Civil War will fall some time in the following week.

Thank you!

GhaleonEB

Only salt evident is those so quick to prop up what is a fairly minimal and political statement and proclaim he obviously hated the movie and is right and telling it like it is and just saying what's true and anyone who can't deal with it is an idiot.

Aye. He was descriptive: it was a retrenchment to the visual style in the OT, and made steps in a new direction with new characters, and the jury is still out on where it's going. That's all he said. We can quibble over "baby steps", but otherwise it's a pretty accurate description that both fans and detractors should be able to agree on. I love TFA dearly, but his description is correct.

LosDaddie

Banned

The movie itself is bad. Smith wouldn't have saved it as-is, but maybe with him in the movie, the director would've focused on him and his story arc. Might have made the movie better.

As-is ID4 is little more than another high-budget Young Adult movie.

James Cameron's opinion of Star Wars: The Force Awakens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJKtPJk3b2M

He right

Edit: whole interview for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLE0QXytO6w

When do people start calling him sexist? Has that happened yet?

GhaleonEB

James Cameron's opinion of Star Wars: The Force Awakens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJKtPJk3b2M

He right

Edit: whole interview for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLE0QXytO6w
Most of the way through, and it's a great interview, despite the interviewer clearly being new to conducting them (every question is from a card, rather than flowing from what Cameron is saying). His comments about shot length are spot on, and there's a great insight into how he reviews his action edits: by flopping the image horizontally and making sure the action can still be followed, to ensure he hasn't just memorized the flow.

"What failures have you learned from?"

"I'll let you know as soon as I have one."

Probably deserves its own thread, TBH.

When do people start calling him sexist? Has that happened yet?
Why would anyone do so from this interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom