• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 6•24-26•16 - ID4:2 & Deadpool bump (lol) not enough; Dory just keeps swimming~

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
TMNT2 just collapsed, my god.

It's doing less than X-men despite opening a week later. Disaster.

Premonition of Star Trek sub $150M coming? And Ben-Hur.... Poor Paramount.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I get the sense that even if this movie does well, it's gonna be the last for this crew anyway. But I would like for them to at least cross $200 mil.

Following Anton's untimely death, I think so too.

$200M going to be tough, but it can get there if wom kicks in. Hoping for the best

Cipherr

Oh god... there's a fucking Thor movie next year.... I don't know why I keep feeling like those are done already. Like... I keep imagining part 3 was already out and I just didn't notice it, because why would anyone notice it?

But nope. It's still looming.

Tarzan Trailer looked interesting until that super stupid scene where millions and millions of animals were running towards that town, which made me swear that I wont watch this movie unless it comes to Netflix or something like this.

Yes, I hate it how every film needs to be 'epic' whether it suits or not. Like at the end of Alice in Wonderland (the Burton film) when they have a big battle and Alice fights a dragon. I hate it when this shit is crowbarred in.

Oh god... there's a fucking Thor movie next year.... I don't know why I keep feeling like those are done already. Like... I keep imagining part 3 was already out and I just didn't notice it, because why would anyone notice it?

But nope. It's still looming.

Yeah, but this one will have Hulk smashing stuff as well, making it 400% better than any other Thor movie to date.

giphy.gif

I thought 2 did gangbusters, dunno why Disney is being a douche about making one more.

I would take another Gone in 60 seconds.

Would Merchandising have any hope of saving TMNT? Like GI Joe, which barely broke even, they greenlit sequels primarily because of the money made off the merch/toys that it boosted.

I wonder if it is the rise of critically conscious moviegoers (all my friends both real and on FB/twitter knew about BvS, Independence Day and Apocalypse's negative critical reception/WoM days before they came out) is contributing to this lackluster summer thus far. If so, guess that means the age of stupid "turn your brain off" blockbusters is nearing an end.

Exodust

Banned
Seeing all these bombas left and right, is it fair to say that American audiences are less fooled by shitty movies then they were in the past?

This question always seems to come up when some big movies without much traction end up not having much traction. Forgetting the fact that it could be a billion other things. What was the year Man Of Steel came out in again? Where blockbusters were performing under expectations and think pieces started coming out about how the blockbuster is dead and foreign audiences blablabla till 2015 when people were shocked that blockbusters destroyed records again?

It's as reoccurring as the "Is the Bond franchise dead?" question we seemingly get every decade.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I wonder if it is the rise of critically conscious moviegoers (all my friends both real and on FB/twitter knew about BvS, Independence Day and Apocalypse's negative critical reception/WoM days before they came out) is contributing to this lackluster summer thus far. If so, guess that means the age of stupid "turn your brain off" blockbusters is nearing an end.

I doubt that. Warcraft, Xmen, ID4-2 all had fairly terrible marketing the entire way through. BvS at least looked good from the trailers and still will end up some 300mil+ thanks to it. Its definitely not the end of "turn your brain off" blockbusters when 2015 had Avengers, Jurassic World, Furious 7, Star Wars, and Spectre all doing bank. Each full of moments of stupidity where you need to turn off your brain. I will say this year has been a notch above previous years in terms of quality though.

We've hit a sort of saturation point though with Blockbuster films. With the home market as developed as it is and theaters being a fairly lousy experience now. Why should people go for anything that doesn't look amazing or sound amazing? Most of the movies doing very well now having strong marketing(Ala Deadpool, Civil War, and Jungle Book), and every single one has generated lots of positive WoM online. You can't hide a dud film anymore, or even something that would have been serviceable 5 years ago isn't worth it anymore.

Since there are so many more competing forms of media. Either the marketing has to be on point or the Word of Mouth has to be A range. Jurassic World is one of the best examples of "Turn your brain off films", yet it still did bank. No more idiotic than any Transformer's film or ID4.

But people are less inclined than ever to go to the theater unless there is that sort of "Must See" atmosphere around it.

I get the sense that even if this movie does well, it's gonna be the last for this crew anyway. But I would like for them to at least cross $200 mil.

Pretty much. I do wonder where they're going to take the film franchise, if it's not a pastiche of another series. All-new means you need to anchor it with some solid talent.

Plus, TV is far better than it once was and is counted as a sunk (read: hidden) cost for the average American.

Not if 2015 is anything to go by. Lol not by a long shot. And for the record many "mindless" blockbusters can be great. The fast and furious franchise is fantastic stunt fueled escapism

GhaleonEB

The only x-factor is Independence day weekend and the lack of big competition. It might be able to hold onto more screens than it would otherwise for the next couple of weeks.

Granted, though I think it's going to pull a BvS and lose out to the ferocious competition of nothing.

I can see it ending with an OW multiplier of around 2x-2.5x, falling a bit short.

Edwins

The Jurassic world of 2016 they said

90d blockbuster nostalgia they said

I'm not confident the 90's nostalgia push is going to work out for Hollywood the way they think it will. I wouldn't be surprised if Power Rangers ends up doing fairly poor business, and that "Avengers-style" 90's Nicktoon crossover film has sounded like an odd idea from the moment it was announced.

BFG is likely a damn good family movie. Prolly way better than that shitty jungle book at least. But man the giants look horrible. I'm seeing it because of the names behind it but the trailers have done their best to try and dissuade me.

kswiston

Glad to see Neon Demon on the list

Dont expect to see it much longer with that theatre average.

Looks like Dory was down a bit in the actuals, as were most films in the top 10. Warcraft was under eatimated while Alice was significantly over estimated. As such Warcraft clawed its way back into the top 10 for a third and final time.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I'm not confident the 90's nostalgia push is going to work out for Hollywood the way they think it will. I wouldn't be surprised if Power Rangers ends up doing fairly poor business, and that "Avengers-style" 90's Nicktoon crossover film has sounded like an odd idea from the moment it was announced.

I think Power Rangers will do surprisingly well at the box office and then they'll greenlight a sequel that will do terribly.

Edwins

I think Power Rangers will do surprisingly well at the box office and then they'll greenlight a sequel that will do terribly.

Pulling a Ninja Turtles, eh? After Power Rangers: Out of the Megazords fails they could always do a crossover to save both franchises. Surely a Ninja Turtles/Power Rangers crossover would be amazi-

power_rangers_teenage_ninja.jpg

The original Jurassic Park had a different type of reverence than your average 90s nostalgia pull. It was the kind of movie that for the most part was genuinely beloved by people, and those people grew up and wanted to share that with their kids, which I think was a lot of the pull of JW. I don't think ID4 ever had this. It was a fun movie when it came out (and I watched it like 3 times in theaters) but it didn't take more than a few years worth of repeat viewings for the perception of that movie to change into "yeah it's not very good".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom