• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finished it last night at around 10 hours played. Definitely enjoyed it, but I think it kind of took a turn for the worse right around the moon level. I definitely enjoyed the portions of the game before that more than everything that came thereafter.

I also feel kind of disappointed about how the plot concluded. I feel like they had a lot of interesting stuff going on with the Da'at Yichud storyline, but they just kind of dropped it all of the sudden after visiting one cache and decided to pursue nuclear launch codes instead. Didn't really make a ton of sense to me. Oh well!

Melchiah

Finished it last night at around 10 hours played. Definitely enjoyed it, but I think it kind of took a turn for the worse right around the moon level. I definitely enjoyed the portions of the game before that more than everything that came thereafter.

I also feel kind of disappointed about how the plot concluded. I feel like they had a lot of interesting stuff going on with the Da'at Yichud storyline, but they just kind of dropped it all of the sudden after visiting one cache and decided to pursue nuclear launch codes instead. Didn't really make a ton of sense to me. Oh well!

Agreed. The beginning of the mission was promising, but the continuous killrooms that followed the same pattern were tiresome. The bridge level was the point when I started to get tired of the game.

Gekidami

Banned
No this doesn't work. Even if you shoot him with rocket and freeze him from moving, he will still keep turning with you and it's not possible to go behind him. Worst part is you can barely see shit after a while.

Try to time your rocket shots so that every shot stuns him dont just spam them. You also need to be pretty close to him to do it, or as you say, at one point you wont be able to see shit. Its the only way i managed to do it on uber, he seemed pretty much invincible from dead on and if he wasnt killing me it was the environment. i was pretty shocked when i managed to knock him down nearly instantly by hitting his back.

nOoblet16

Try to time your rocket shots so that every shot stuns him dont just spam them. You also need to be pretty close to him to do it, or as you say, at one point you wont be able to see shit. Its the only way i managed to do it on uber, he seemed pretty much invincible from dead on and if he wasnt killing me it was the environment. i was pretty shocked when i managed to knock him down nearly instantly by hitting his back.

I time my shots but still he kept turning as he recovers very very quickly. And fuckin pipes man !! Blocks my path when he's stunned even when it looks like I should pass through. Also blast damage hits me too + the fire wtf were they thinking by having a boss fight with 10,000 HP and environmental damage in such a cramped location.

Finished this today.

Final thoughts -

+ The highlight of the game were the characters and storyline. The characters (outside of the main bad guy) were well developed and interesting. The dialogue was both serious and humorous and there was a great balance between drama and dark comedy. The story was pure 'pulp fiction' and was suitably silly but still engaging and felt like a real rollercoater ride. The cutscenes were on the whole very well directed and choreographed (for a game).

+ Gunplay was mostly satisfying, with guns feeling powerful and punchy.

+ Great skill upgrade system, made me get the most out of the way I used the weapons. Trophies for upgrading were a nice touch also.

+ Great industrial / rock soundtrack. Fit the mood and tone of the game perfectly. Lighter score fit the games more 'moving' moments. End credit song was great and the collectible German Covers were a neat touch.

+ A long campaign (around 12-15hrs) with a wide variety of locations and plenty of surprises. Great mix of shooting and interactive storytelling.

+ / - The visuals had a great art direction and a surprising amount of colour. Great character models and animations. The framerate was rock-solid at 60fps almost all the time (PS4). Some weak texture work, poor AA and subpar effects (fire especially) tarnished the overall presentation.

- The games difficulty was very up and down. Some chapters were a breeze (Normal) while others had sections that felt infuriatingly tough and poorly designed. Odd difficulty spikes became a pain.

- Some mission design felt poor. Some chapters were very short while others dragged a bit.

- Terrible audio mix, one of the worst in recent memory for a AAA game. I had to play with subtitles for all languages as the games FX and music was way louder than the characters speech.

- Last boss encounter sucked. In fact the few boss battles in the game were all fairly poor.

Those are the points that stood out the most. It was refreshing to have a single player focused FPS, and even more refreshing to find that the game didn't focus completely on blowing things up. There was a great ebb and flow to the narrative with down time and it reminded me of the Darkness and Riddick ( no surprise there I suppose).
I hope we get more games like this that have faith in a robust single player experience. This is the best first person action adventure I have played since Bioshock Infinite. It's not up with that game but is certainly a million times better than anything else I've played in the FPS genre outside of games like The Darkness / Bioshock and Half Life.

Recommend this to anyone still on the fence, unless you really hate FPS or single player FPS you should really dig this game. Especially the fantastic journey it takes you on if you enjoy a great adventure aspect to your games.

Might actually be my favourite game on PS4 this year outside of Infamous.

I time my shots but still he kept turning as he recovers very very quickly. And fuckin pipes man !! Blocks my path when he's stunned even when it looks like I should pass through. Also blast damage hits me too + the fire wtf were they thinking by having a boss fight with 10,000 HP and environmental damage in such a cramped location.

Yeah, finished it last night (will do a write up soon) and the last boss took about an hour for me on Hard. What a unnecessarily frustrating fight. Not challenging, just unfun and borderline broken at times.

Shadownet

Banned
I played the entire thing on Über difficulty on my first playthrough, and I rarely died, except for a handful of times during the London Monitor battle and the first part of the battle against Deathshead. I actually killed Deadshead on the second part on my first try.

That first part was actually hard cause you have to run past him after damaging him. So run while he's recharging and hide when he's shooting at you. Died at least 5-6 times.

So its surprising to me that so many people have so much problems with it. All I did was spammed him with 3 rockets. Run away, rinse and repeat until I run out of rockets, then spammed him with the LKW. He went down in 7 mins.

Had this sitting for a week or two, finally got it started tonight, did the first chapter/watched the intro to the second on uber tonight, went down the
Fergus
route. Manohman this game haha. Got a really really good feeling about it. Great vibe, gunplay, I love the script, id 5 is still a cool engine imo despite the obvious problems.

Drewfonse

It's weird, I maxed out my health upgrades during my Fergus play through, but I've picked up 3 armor upgrades during my Wyatt run and my armor maxes out at 100 still.

Help.

Voidance

It's weird, I maxed out my health upgrades during my Fergus play through, but I've picked up 3 armor upgrades during my Wyatt run and my armor maxes out at 100 still.

Help.
Wyatt upgrades increase the amount of armor you get from each piece, unlike health which increases the maximum.

soultron

Banned
Finished this tonight.

I broke from the game (to play Watch Dogs) when I got to the
lunar base
so I had forgotten a few details.
Why exactly does Anya start tossing all of those journal recordings your way? Are those supposed to be from her and not the other girl?

Also, who was Tekla, exactly? Was she from Wolf 09? I found the scene where she's watching BJ and Anya sleeping, then he trains her how to use firearms. Then when the Kreisau base got attacked, she used her training to kill her specified 19 nazis. (Would you have seen this scene -- differently or not at all -- if you didn't view the earlier one wherein BJ trains her?) It's strange because she was one of my favourite characters from those cinematics, but she doesn't have a concept art entry to give her any backstory. I wonder if she was meant to have a bigger purpose in the story but then it got changed or cut. I would've loved to know why she kept her right eye shut most of the time and other little details.

The helicopter sound at the end of the credits makes me feel like the remaining Kreisau members rescued BJ for a sequel. Also interesting how you don't get Frau Engel. That entire scene where Bubi jumps you while you're climbing up the ladder, only for you to kill him and then resume normal gameplay from the exact same spot barely a few minutes later felt really pointless...

I really enjoyed the game. Some sections tended to drag on and have weird difficulty spikes though, especially near the end though.
I swear the last section in Deathshead's compound had randomly spawning enemies that would always appear behind you... that area with the robots, supersoldaten, fire troopers, rocket troopers, and regular soldiers in the really long hallway. I died about 5 times before being able to finish it by basically hiding, jumping out to kill an enemy or three, and then hiding again. Really didn't enjoy the basic level design of these segments... they were literally corridors and not much else.

Just finished tonight. What a great game. Everything about it was fun and ridiculous, just like a videogame should be. It also felt really old school which was nice. Collecting health packs and armor was something I hadn't done in a very long time.

I hope this sells well enough for a sequel, these guys did a great job.

Also, who was Tekla, exactly? Was she from Wolf 09? I found the scene where she's watching BJ and Anya sleeping, then he trains her how to use firearms. Then when the Kreisau base got attacked, she used her training to kill her specified 19 nazis. (Would you have seen this scene -- differently or not at all -- if you didn't view the earlier one wherein BJ trains her?) It's strange because she was one of my favourite characters from those cinematics, but she doesn't have a concept art entry to give her any backstory. I wonder if she was meant to have a bigger purpose in the story but then it got changed or cut. I would've loved to know why she kept her right eye shut most of the time and other little details.

Spoilers for those who haven't played the game, or only played it once, but...

If you choose to save Wyatt instead of Fergus, Tekla is absent entirely and is instead replaced by a character named J. Neither one is as well developed as they could have been, unfortunately. Also, getting the scene where you train her doesn't have any effect on the later game - the outcome will still be the same (you'll get the same cutscene).

I've been giving this a second run through, and the
U-Boat, Gibraltar Bridge, and Moon base
are a terrific series of levels. Those three chapters, taken as a whole, are easily my favorite part of the game.

Agreed. The beginning of the mission was promising, but the continuous killrooms that followed the same pattern were tiresome. The bridge level was the point when I started to get tired of the game.

Buh?! The bridge level was utterly fantastic. One of the best in the entire game. And while id agree that they didnt do enough with the whole premise of being on the motherfuckin' moon, the actual moon level itself was still alot of fun.

Melchiah

Buh?! The bridge level was utterly fantastic. One of the best in the entire game. And while id agree that they didnt do enough with the whole premise of being on the motherfuckin' moon, the actual moon level itself was still alot of fun.

It just reminded me of how I've always hated instant death drops in FPS games. The checkpoint system made it even worse, when I tried to get those gold collectables, fell, and had to do the preceding part all over again. The same goes for the lengthy battle in the bridge. Needless repetition isn't what I consider entertaining.

Half-Life 2's bridge section came to mind when I played the level, although Wolfenstein's equivalent was nowhere near as annoying, partly because loading up the last save didn't take half a minute like in HL2.

I wish the beginning part of the moon level, where you're
disguised as a the chief research scientist
, had been longer.

Gold Member
Took my time getting to it, but here's my review: http://www.rocketchainsaw.com.au/pc/wolfenstein-new-order/

Warning: full of relentless praise.
Nicely written :)

I got a massive HL2 vibe from this too, which is something I can't say about any FPS I've played since, well EP2 probably lol. I really enjoyed the game immensely and even after plat I will be back for more of the extra modes in the coming months. It's my game of the year thus far for sure.

Cloudy

Banned
Damn, the robots in this game are tough sometimes. I'm at the hangar section and that huge thing that breaks down the gate is owning me

PS: I love the game but it's a bit too "trial and error" at times. Shouldn't the location of the signal officers change when a level reloads? (maybe it does this on higher difficulties?) Also, what's with the checkpoint system (besides being too infrequent at times), sometimes it advances you if you KOed on an enemy right before it lol.

So my biggest gripe probably in the "story" aspect of the game is fairly nitpicky

The simple fact that Caroline didn't let BJ borrow her power suit when he stormed Deathshead's compound really irks me. I mean "Hey bud can I borrow your super advanced armored power suit while I fight all the baddies and possibly die a horrible death otherwise? No? Ah well I'm sure I'll be fine...'

olimpia84

Damn, the robots in this game are tough sometimes. I'm at the hangar section and that huge thing that breaks down the gate is owning me

PS: I love the game but it's a bit too "trial and error" at times. Shouldn't the location of the signal officers change when a level reloads? (maybe it does this on higher difficulties?) Also, what's with the checkpoint system (besides being too infrequent at times), sometimes it advances you if you KOed on an enemy right before it lol.

I had problems with that boss as well playing on Uber. Take cover and user your rechargeable laser weapon and whenever he loses sight sneak into one of the park choppers and unload the stationary machine guns on him before he throws those grenades at you.

StevieP

Banned
Took my time getting to it, but here's my review: http://www.rocketchainsaw.com.au/pc/wolfenstein-new-order/

Warning: full of relentless praise.

As usual, you took the words right out of my head. Strangely I didn't have as much of an issue with the audio mix as many others on my 7.2 system. There were a couple moments where the dialogue was drowned out and where footsteps didn't come across right but most of the time it was serviceable. With that said, most of my time with the game was spent at a very loud volume lol.

antitrop

As usual, you took the words right out of my head. Strangely I didn't have as much of an issue with the audio mix as many others on my 7.2 system. There were a couple moments where the dialogue was drowned out and where footsteps didn't come across right but most of the time it was serviceable. With that said, most of my time with the game was spent at a very loud volume lol.

Most of my time playing through the game was in a completely quiet house in the middle of the night to the early hours of the morning, with headphones. It was fine.

Playing the game in the middle of the day through my PC speakers without subtitles is pretty much impossible, though.

Drewfonse

Laser cutter weapon works wonders. Several recharge stations are in the area.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So...I finished this on normal difficulty over the weekend and I'm looking forward to going back in on "I am Death Incarnate!" and trying the other timeline (aside from the first couple of levels, which were good from a story perspective but don't really appeal to me from the perspective of having to replay them). My thoughts (in case you care...)...

-The story and voice acting! Absolutely marvellous. A really great mix between shlock B-movie action and a serious attempt to tackle Nazism. As someone who's Jewish, it was kind of doubly-fun, especially listening to
Set Roth mumble Yiddish.
-The guns and action were just straight-up fun. I liked the 'commander' mechanic and the voices of the robosoldiers also made me laugh quite a lot.
-The overall tone of the whole package was good-natured, didn't take itself too seriously and just endearing as a whole. It was so much fun to play a game that wasn't trying to be the next transcendent experience but had heart and soul - and you could see the intelligence, care and humour that went into it.
-The
final level in Deathshead's compound was just fantastic. Dual-wielding assault rifles while taking on Nazi mechs in a Nazi castle. Lovely and reminded me of Mecha Hitler (I am that old).

Bad things...

-It was very trial-and-error in places. Very very trial-and-error. It did make some of the set-piece battles satisfying to overcome, but there was at least 4 or 5 moments where the 'flow' of the game was broken by having to try/restart/try/restart/try/restart over and over again until I figured out how the game wanted me to tackle a certain obstacle.
-The online installation - with little guidance on the PS4 I had to look online to find out why my digital copy wasn't letting me go past the first 10 minutes of the game. Not ideal and very poorly communicated.

Overall, I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to getting my bum kicked on the next difficulty. I would give it a very hearty 8/10.

matmanx1

I just finished my first playthrough. The credits just finished rolling. What a fantastic experience. I had more fun with this than any FPS I've had in years.

My favorite moment in the entire game? When
guitar man plays the Star Spangled Banner on his electric guitar as the Nazi's are shooting down his door and you can hear it all over Berlin square.
I got chills and all the hair on my arms stood up.

And what was up with the
helicopter sound right at the end of the credits?

Was about to start this game, then I was hit with the 5GB patch (that is a 3ish hour wait for me and my crappy internet) :/

I know I can play without it, but I would like to have the best experience I can with the game. I checked online to find out what the patch does and got

-Text and audio bug fixes
- Gameplay bug fixes
- Checkpoint bug fixes

Some of those sound like they could be annoying, so is it recommended to wait for the patch to install, or should I just go ahead.

I am behind on Orphan Black, so could catch up with a few episodes if needed when waiting!

s_mirage

So my biggest gripe probably in the "story" aspect of the game is fairly nitpicky

The simple fact that Caroline didn't let BJ borrow her power suit when he stormed Deathshead's compound really irks me. I mean "Hey bud can I borrow your super advanced armored power suit while I fight all the baddies and possibly die a horrible death otherwise? No? Ah well I'm sure I'll be fine...'

Yeah, got to agree with that one. I wonder if there's going to be some DLC for this, because although that item does serve a small purpose in the story, its inclusion seems almost like a tease.

I saw that as
just something for Caroline to show how much of a badass she could be and Blazko is already enough of a badass to not need something like that, just to let Caroline have her moment

I'm going to have to go with: "I'm coming for you, Nazi fucking spaceman."

"Death at the gates. Howling my name. Can't greet you today...I have a war to win."

Max-Payne-1-Face.jpg

Yeah, got to agree with that one. I wonder if there's going to be some DLC for this, because although that item does serve a small purpose in the story, its inclusion seems almost like a tease.

That'd be cool although I doubt it :\

I saw that as
just something for Caroline to show how much of a badass she could be and Blazko is already enough of a badass to not need something like that, just to let Caroline have her moment

Eh but I just mean for the
assault on Deathshead's compound?
. She can have it all the other times but what was she doing that required it during that point in time?

The time when you stole the helicopters prove she didn't need it to fly one. What was Caroline doing with the power suit while you were single-handily fighting your way through the toughest battle scenario you've ever faced?

Top Bottom