• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just started playing this game and it's really good so far.

One question though - what's up with the audio balance? Some sound effects are really low, like dialogue and certain guns, and then there's sudden action sequences that are really loud. I don't know how to adjust my volume.

I'm playing with the Astro A40's + MixAmp and I've tried several settings. I've also tried with the TV speakers and it sounds about the same.

Should I check/uncheck some settings in the PS4 sound menus?

The audio balance is complete shit in the game on all platforms.

Really unfortunate.

This game surprised me, I was not expecting it to be this good. This might be the most fun I've had with my PS4 this year. The bloody carnage that this game delivers is amazing. Whenever I start feeling overwhelmed, I take a stealth approach to the levels, and even then I'm just as successful, and have a blast as well. Also the story is REALLY good. I'm glad that I bought this, it washed off the weird after taste that I got after playing Watch Dogs. Now this is a game done right.

Avari

Just picked this up and am most of the way through. A friend convinced me to give it a try, and I'm really glad she did. I've enjoyed it enough that I'll definitely play through at least one more time.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Last X1 patch was like last week and that method still works since then. Can't speak to if it has been patched on the PS4 though, or if they even intend on patching it.

Thanks. Well, I'll give it a go when I've finished this playthrough.

Slightly different point, but there are some really nice character scenes in this game - especially between Klaus and Max Hass.

Levyne

Banned
Has that not been patched?

(I'm not saying it has or not - just what Google told me)

I remember the community manager coming here and saying that it wasn't really a bug. Not the same as "it was intentional" but it wasn't something they seemed concerned with.

Moofers

Wait a minute folks, there are perks you unlock? You don't just mean the alt-fire modes do you? Cuz I got my assault rifle attachment that lets you shoot rockets and I have that welding gun upgraded, but I keep seeing references to a perk tree. Did I miss something?

Thanks. Well, I'll give it a go when I've finished this playthrough.

Slightly different point, but there are some really nice character scenes in this game - especially between Klaus and Max Hass.

Yep just checked trueachievements and it says as of 6-22 it still works on X1. :D.

I'm going to try and do it myself after I get home from work, I'm kind of scared they will patch it and as much as I enjoyed the game, the thought of needing to go through the whole game on UBER is scary to me, lol.

Wait a minute folks, there are perks you unlock? You don't just mean the alt-fire modes do you? Cuz I got my assault rifle attachment that lets you shoot rockets and I have that welding gun upgraded, but I keep seeing references to a perk tree. Did I miss something?

Bring up the menu the shows you the collectibles, map, ect. In there is a tab for your skill tree (I forget what they call it, perk tree maybe). It lists all of the perks to unlock and what to do to obtain them. Most of the game's achievements/trophies are made up of completing these perk unlocks.

Yes.

DieH@rd

Banned

Yes, you did.

Wolfenstein®_-The-New-Order_20140605145020-1024x576.jpg

antitrop

This game surprised me, I was not expecting it to be this good.

The beginning of this OT was hilarious for me. I totally came in expecting it to be good (because ex-Starbreeze), then the first early-release impressions were mediocre to awful, so I became hesitant, then I played it and now it's my GOTY. Fuckin' rollercoaster, man.

The beginning of this OT was hilarious for me. I totally came in expecting it to be good (because ex-Starbreeze), then the first early-release impressions were mediocre to awful, so I became hesitant, then I played it and now it's my GOTY. Fuckin' rollercoaster, man.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that this is my game of the year yet (I'm only like 3-4 hrs in now) but even it doesn't, it definitely will be on my top 3. This game is top notch.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yep just checked trueachievements and it says as of 6-22 it still works on X1. :D.

I'm going to try and do it myself after I get home from work, I'm kind of scared they will patch it and as much as I enjoyed the game, the thought of needing to go through the whole game on UBER is scary to me, lol.

Haha. I know the feeling! I don't mind doing it, but I don't want to lose all my perks and upgrades.

It's brilliant, isn't it? It's probably mine too. Even on my second playthrough I'm struck by how good it is.

I can confirm that playing just the final chapter on Uber on PS4 unlocks the corresponding trophy as of today

Also I found the final chapter to be fairly easy even on Uber if you simply dual-wield
the marksman set on lasers since those can be recharged indefinitely at most parts in the chapter. Then once I got to the laser turrets I just kept recharging those and running back through the doorway before the hall with all the machine enemies

Final boss himself is also fairly easy even on uber.
By using only energy weapons in the rest of the chapter I had 27 rockets when I went against the final stage of the boss and it did take 24 I think but still not bad. I should've had an extra 8 rockets on top of that but I reloaded the rockets in my second assault rifle prior to the boss fight and when you lose your guns you lose those rockets :\

Man I love this game. Going to do the Wyatt timeline on something a bit easier to get through the perks I have left. Played it through on second hardest first time round. Will try 2nd easiest I think for wyatt :p

Cloudy

Banned
Right D Pad changes fire mode for your main weapon

Left D pad changes fire mode for your offhand weapon [when dual-wielding]

How have you been using a silenced pistol without knowing that?

Oh I knew that but I never switched mode on the auto shotgun. What does flak richochet do (I can't play right now)

Oh I knew that but I never switched mode on the auto shotgun. What does flak richochet do (I can't play right now)

It improves the range the shotgun is lethal at. I would probably assume that at like 3 feet or less normal shells are more lethal but ricochet shells bounce around and still do quite a bit of damage thus allowing you to kill enemies 10 - 15 feet away while also still being supereffective up close. Its kind of hard to describe

Odrion

Banned
The pre-release impressions of both this ("Lmao fucking garbage the last third of the game is even worse!") and Watch_Dogs ("It's awesome it's like an open world Splinter Cell!") has given me the impression that the people who play games before launch are either lying or have terrible judgement of a game's quality.

Cloudy

Banned
It improves the range the shotgun is lethal at. I would probably assume that at like 3 feet or less normal shells are more lethal but ricochet shells bounce around and still do quite a bit of damage thus allowing you to kill enemies 10 - 15 feet away while also still being supereffective up close. Its kind of hard to describe

Thanks. Now I know what those heavy armor guys were shooting at me lol

I fucking love how varied this game is. Just went from
a NAZI U-Boat, to an amazing bridge/train level (seriously gives Half-Life's bridge level a run for its money), and now I'm on the motherfuckin' moon (huge 2001 vibes for some of the art here).
The art is just so vibrant and well-thought out. The game, graphically, starts out with its worst foot forward in the opening, but I actually really, really like the look of the game. Some of the textures are pretty rough, but it's quite a pretty game.

antitrop

I need yo finish this. Very good game. I hope it sells 2mill++

It was the 4th best selling game in the US for May, for what that's worth. Did well in the UK, too. Being released on 5 platforms certainly helps.

I can't imagine the budget was anything too huge, MachineGames is only like a ~50 person studio. That's about as small as it gets for AAA.

It was the 4th best selling game in the US for May, for what that's worth. Did well in the UK, too. Being released on 5 platforms certainly helps.

I can't imagine the budget was anything too huge, MachineGames is only like a ~50 person studio. That's about as small as it gets for AAA.

It did very well in Germany as well both on consoles and on PC it would seem

dreamfall

I just finished my Fergie Ferg(us) timeline, and I was completely/utterly blown away. The sweeeet satisfaction of dual-wielding weaponry with a real kick feels absolutely glorious. There were so many wonderful lines, my favorites being some of Anya's purely psychotic anecdotes and Tekla's musings on the Soul. I loved the gruff monologues we got in times of crisis as Blazkowicz- they gave the narrative such a personal tone, and it wasn't too maudlin.

I think Machine Games set the pace perfectly- I found myself really exploring in each level to attempt to uncover enigma codes, and collectibles. The art direction in the Kreisau Circle hideout is stunning- it felt like home, and nice respite from all the insanity. A good place to explore and understand the supporting cast, and a quiet moment to breathe after some of the craziest firefights! The villains were so nefarious, and incited much rage from me even when playing - I wanted to rip Frau Engel apart during Camp Belica. The horrors of the camp re-created in some digital terror- it was so bleak. And felt so heavy. Thank goodness for the introduction of Roth, and the greater plan to strike back.

This game. This game had me floored. Whether it was aiming down the sights of the LaserKraftwerk to obliterate Nazis into gibs, or to pause and listen to the rendition of "Tapfrer Kleiner Liebling"- the sense of atmosphere mixed in with god-tier shooting mechanics meant bliss. Sliding about, firing a shotgun from each hand, just felt so GOOD. Throwing knives from a distance, having a fun perk system to encourage new ways to engage in combat- there was a ton to love.

I'll go through the Wyatt timeline sometime soon- I wish we'd get a full prequel of Anya's endeavors and her own actions of resistance. But I've got nothing but lovelovelove for Machine Games- these ex-Starbreeze gods know how to write, and know how to make shooting fun. One of the best games I've been fortunate to play in so many years.

Thanks for the link

Having made this game, now watching the reception, I imagine you are thinking about what you’re going to be doing next. What’s the biggest lesson you’ve taken away from The New Order?

Matthies: We would love to do a sequel. We have a very, very clear idea of what we accomplished with this game, and what we want to accomplish with a sequel.

Would love a sequel although I'm not done with this one yet :)

Hope it sells well enough to warrant such a thing

I don't see time on there

Just checked myself and you're right. Sorry about that. Odd not to include that on there :\

Zushin

Patrick Klepeck of GiantBomb interviews Jens Matthies, the Creative Director of Wolfenstein: The New Order

Covers the reception of the game, the development process, the narrative, difficulty of marketing the experience, some spoiler territory, and a tiny bit of hypothetical sequel talk.

I really really hope the game sold well enough for Bethesda to greenlight a sequel. Awesome game, and it excites me that they have ideas and know what they would do in another game.

barit

Best moment that i had in this game: "Du hast Joan getötet, du Schwein" translate "You have killed Joan, you pig" after i shoot some random dog down. I was like "WTF? And now you want to join him. Okay!"

This game. If you understand german it is even more entertaining.

Top Bottom