• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

SarBear

Never played a Wolfenstein game before but I read quite a few pages of this thread, had some friends highly recommend it, and when I checked the marketplace it was on sale.....so I bit. I have no idea what to expect but it's almost finished downloading.

I had a similar lead up to Bulletstorm and that's one of my favorite shooters of all time (the charm and character!), so I'm hoping for the best.

Althane

Just beat it. Got it off of GMG with the $24 sale. Totally worth it, in my opinion.

Took the Fergus option. When I replay it, I'll take the other option, but does the story change that much?

Also, are the same collectibles able to be found? I found about 75% of the Enigma Codes, but not enough to finish anything off. Only like 25% of the gold though. Was much less interested in those.

reddish

Neo Member
Just finished the game (PC). Didn't expect much more than an average shooter but while there's definitely some wonkiness to the game, it's one of the best FPS campaigns I've ever played.

Like:
Great story, amazing characters, fun music, tight gunplay, incredibly immersive world, for the most part: extremely good looking, perfect pacing, nice mix of linearity and open areas to approach in different ways (wish there was even more stealth though), home base is an amazing addition that breaks up the violence with some intimate character moments and world building, really cool settings, mostly challenging and smart AI, and above all: the seemingly impossible ability to string together humor, slapstick violence, profound moments, sleek punchy presentation, and dark themes seamlessly (Tarantino pulls it off now and then, but I've never seen it in a game).

Dislike:
A slightly unruly stealth system where occasionally it's unforgiving but also has oddities (like enemies not caring if another enemy is killed in front of them so long as you're crouching and use a silencer/knife), occasionally arbitrary movement limitations (why can't I jump on that thing), uneven graphics in rare spots, the lack of transitional cutscenes between chapters showing travel was jarring now and then, and overall it had a good but predictable ending.

I don't think I'd want multiplayer but a deep firefight/horde kind of mode would be really welcome as the sandbox is pretty diverse and it'd be nice to have a mode like this in a game that enable stealth options. Machine Games impressed the hell out of me though, can't wait to see what they do next.

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
Downloaded the game over the weekend on the X1 at the 33% discount price. Attempting my first play through on Uber mode. Which is probably a horrible mistake since I am not that great at FPS games but despite repeated deaths, I am slowly but surely progressing. So if I understand correctly (and this is quite possibly incorrect) if you restart an individual chapter at a different difficulty level, it does not harm you getting end-game achievements for the harder levels? From what I was reading earlier today on other forums, it made it sound like changing difficulty in the pause menu is the big no-no that would sabotage the achievements. Can anyone confirm this?

Ivan

Is anyone else experiencing corrupt saves and random crashing with this game? It seems to be only with this one game, but it's crashed and bombed out to the main menu screen 3 times since I started playing it (about 6 hours over 3 days ..)

Is this a known thing with Wolfenstein? Or the current Firmware? I didn't manage to grab the error code, but will next time
hopefully there won't be a next time, but hey

I did JUST before the final boss. Imagine that. Had to replay whole chapter.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Okay, I have the PS4 digital version. I just played through a piece of the prologue and now it's saying "Content is currently unavailable. Please wait for install and try again."

Right, so fine. But my question, do I have to keep this shit on to finish the DL? I check notifications in the PS4 UI and I don't see any DL progress... this is confusing, Like, how do I know when it's done, or near done, or if it's even downloading?

Gavin996

Unconfirmed Member
SO I started a second playthrough and I was attacked by some Nazis got a headshot and... he's head sprt of exploded lol.
It was great to watch.

Falk

that puzzling face
I just short-circuited a safe underwater and it has totally ruined my immersion of the otherwise scientifically viable game universe.

jett

D-Member
I can't get this shit to run at 60fps on a 280X, what the fuck. I thought disabling screen space reflections was enough?

I effin love this game. I'm not a shooter guy - but I play tehm. In comparison KZ:SF was sucha pain ! This is FUN, like dual-wielding, nazi-killing fun. God. Humor, pacing, I love how exploration is rewarding but not necessary, every nook and crany is filled with items, newspapers, etc.

I tough shooters were not for me anymore. God I was wrong. It was the most fun I had in memories whe playing a shooter.

And the life mechanic is awesome.

(EDIT : + it's looooong ! and with dual timelines...)

God. I'd have totally missed this gem without you fellow GAFfers <3.

justjim89

Fucking hell that ending. That fucking ending. I want a sequel like right now just so I can see what happens next, and maybe if
Anya
becomes playable. The story of this was way better than it had any right to be.

And I really enjoyed BJ and Anya's relationship. She wasn't a damsel in distress and she wasn't an overcompensating uber-badass chick necessarily either. She was an adult woman capable of defending herself and getting out of a jam, and she was simply BJ's counterpoint and partner instead of a trophy. One of the more satisfying in-game romances I can recall in quite some time.

Really loved the gameplay too. A nice balance of stealth, old-school FPS running and gunning, and modern cover shooter sensibility. And the more quiet moments were intelligently placed and really helped the pacing of the game. It was refreshing to have places to breathe.

Also, alt-history Hendrix was a delightful character, as was Max Hass in spite of being a Hodor ripoff.

Cat Party

I know nothing about this game beyond seeing the praise on this board. Saw the game for $33 at Costco and grabbed it. My only question is length. Should I be expecting a short game or a longer game by modern fps standards?

I know nothing about this game beyond seeing the praise on this board. Saw the game for $33 at Costco and grabbed it. My only question is length. Should I be expecting a short game or a longer game by modern fps standards?

longer probably. 11 - 12 hours for one full playthrough

571548d1379683598-otto-sander-dies-aged-72-a-bootthomsen.jpg

By any chance, did Fergus happen to command a U-Boat for the Nazis at some point in time, possibly under the alias of "Thomsen?"

Loxley

No joke, I watched Schindler's List for the first time last night and now I find myself re-downloading Wolfenstein in some sort knee-jerk response. Man fuck Nazis. Fuck'em right up the ass.

Marjar

Banned
After not having a good enough graphics card to run this I finally got one and decided to play it. Unfortunately, I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed. :/

I got about six hours in before I decided to just quit. I found the shooting to be alright, but combat was ruined by horrible bullet sponge enemies that made encounters pretty dull. Also it felt like I kept running out of ammo which led to constantly having to run around to find more.

The story was good, but man the gameplay just wasn't worth it. I was pretty hyped for this game as well.

I might give it another shot down the road, but yeah I expected more. Especially after that one thread comparing it to Half Life 2.

Are you kidding me. This game has the best narration I've seen in a while and it's a ... fps... Incredible cutscenes. I felt connected to the characters in a minute and I cared for them instantly !
It never happens to me in a game (well except some rare cases)
(ex) Starbreeze delivering again I see.

Amazing.

Falk

that puzzling face
The "horrible bullet sponge" enemies were what made the game for me as it was such a breath of fresh air after 'hey lets actually add hit markers in single player for all the cannon fodder because why not" military FPS of the past 3-4 years. I mean, outside of the reload mechanic (which is kinda necessary in this day and age) it might as well have been unloading a chaingun into cyberdemons.

Gunplay really, really satisfied an itch that RAGE sorta scratched then left everyone hanging.

antitrop

Are you kidding me. This game has the best narration I've seen in a while and it's a ... fps... Incredible cutscenes. I felt connected to the characters in a minute and I cared for them instantly !
It never happens to me in a game (well except some rare cases)
(ex) Starbreeze delivering again I see.

Amazing.
Yeah, BJ's narration style can be off-putting to some, but if it clicks with you, it really clicks.

BJ Blazkowicz is legitimately one of my favorite video game characters now. Never really would have seen that coming.

SlickVic

Finally beat the game today. Overall I enjoyed it a lot. I'm a big fan of the atmospheric shooter set in a world gone to hell (i.e. Half Life and perhaps more recently, Resistance 3), and Wolfenstein definitely delivers on that front. It feels quite evident that MachineGames put a lot of effort into not only making a fully realized Nazi-dominated world, but also making sure each level felt unique.

I thought the gameplay was decent-to-good. I came into Wolfenstein with a lot of FPS fatigue (which is why I didn't buy it at launch), so I think it says a lot about the game's excellent atmosphere that I still ended up liking it. I felt the game was good about creating combat encounters that didn't overstay their welcome, though I will admit the bigger encounters towards the end of the game slowly started to tire me out. It got to the point where I was actually ready to see the game end.

Can't say I really cared much for that final boss battle either. Felt more of an exercise in tedium than being genuinely challenging. Which is a bit unfortunate since it felt like the game ended on a low point after being quite enjoyable otherwise.

TEH-CJ

Banned
But why is the audio mix so bad in this??

I thought they patched the PS4 version?

I have a high end Sony home theater system and most games sound great, but this holy crap. I can hardly hear the guns, the voices are muffled and the surround sound effects overpower everything else.

One of the fundamental things in fps is to nail the sound effects, since you know..you are firing a gun 99% of the fucking time...

I cant overlook this. I went with the digital version too as it was on sale for 50 bucks...oh well.

antitrop

But why is the audio mix so bad in this??

I thought they patched the PS4 version?

I have a high end Sony home theater system and most games sound great, but this holy crap. I can hardly hear the guns, the voices are muffled and the surround sound effects overpower everything else.

One of the fundamental things in fps is to nail the sound effects, since you know..you are firing a gun 99% of the fucking time...

I cant overlook this. I went with the digital version too as it was on sale for 50 bucks...oh well.

In Audio Output Settings, change Primary Output Port to Digital Out and make sure all the boxes are ticked.

If that doesn't work, well sorry, it's a known issue with the game (on all platforms) and you're SOL.

Falk

that puzzling face
Not optimal but did you try just going with stereo output instead? I mean, passable stereo is better than unserviceable surround.

Just finished the game. I took my time but that's a serious contender for my personal Game of the Year. I really like what Machine Games did with the licence. Some draw connections with Half-life 2 (my personal best FPS campaign of the forever) which I found surprising before playing the game but, now that I finished it, I can understand the statement, Wolfenstein TNO really is that good. Congratulations Machine Games and thank you.

Audioboxer

Bought this today instead of inFamous Second Son, tell me I made the right choice GAF.

I was picking up Diablo 3 for PS4, and had enough for one more game. Heard rave reviews about Wolfenstein on GAF. So I'm trusting you all!

antitrop

Bought this today instead of inFamous Second Son, tell me I made the right choice GAF.

I was picking up Diablo 3 for PS4, and had enough for one more game. Heard rave reviews about Wolfenstein on GAF. So I'm trusting you all!

Holy shit, you bought D3: UEE and Wolfenstein: TNO in the same day?
That is more fucking gaming goodness than any one person deserves at one time.

Enjoy, you made the right choice x1000.

I haven't played Infamous, and I'm sure it's a fine game, but Wolfenstein is my GOTY.

someday

Banned

I played Infamous but I still think you made the right decision. This game has a much fuller campaign, is easily twice as long, and is fun. Infamous was a lot of fun but would have been a much better rental.

Falk

that puzzling face
I went in with really low expectations because of this gen, which actually made the opinion turnaround that much more massive.

This game is holy shit easily best FPS since the start of PS360 generation.

CoD4 was amazing for what it brought to the table but woefully short.

Audioboxer

Holy shit, you bought D3: UEE and Wolfenstein: TNO in the same day?
That is more fucking gaming goodness than any one person deserves at one time.

Enjoy, you made the right choice x1000.

I haven't played Infamous, and I'm sure it's a fine game, but Wolfenstein is my GOTY.

lol your excitement has made me even more excited to get stuck in. Stupid script kiddies fucking up PSN today.

So I am just finishing up a replay and I've gone down Wyatt's timeline for the first time. Near the end where
J plays the Star Spangled Banner as the Nazis come in and kill him
was such a wonderfully executed moment, one of a great many in the game.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Damn good game, finished it today.
I thought there was going to be something after the ending since I read someone talking about something something future, though he might have confused it with the Moon.

Levyne

Banned
I'm kind of surprised no bit of dlc or anything came out for this. Really wonder what Machinegames will work on, stay on this franchise or do something new.

Falk

that puzzling face
No bite-sized DLC, no shoehorned multiplayer.

At least ONE dev making FPS campaigns has the right idea this decade.

Just rented this game from my work, and got to Chapter 7. So damn good so far. I know everyone was praising the writing, but it really is some of the best I have played in years.

Top Bottom