• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman records boyfriend after getting shot by the Police on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I think if I was black I would just have a 'goodbye' group text typed out to all of my friends and family ready to send at a moment's notice if I got pulled over.

Then they're bad cops.

Yeah, it sucks that they'd lose their jobs, or possibly be murdered, for speaking up, that's why the system is broken.

But I don't give a fuck. Their job is to uphold the law and they're failing to do that.

Every single cop who lets shit like this happen without speaking up and speaking out against it is a chicken shit coward and a bad cop.

If you find yourself working a job where you're routinely asked to look the other way while your fellow employees violate rules and harm people, have the decency to quit if you don't have the fucking spine to speak up.

I get what you're saying and why, but I think the last thing we should be doing is encouraging decent police officers to quit. You said it yourself, at best they'd lose their jobs and probably not be able to find another position at a different department. So the answer is to have them all quit so that we're left with nothing but the scumbags? Just seems like a idiculous way to look at it.

Septic360

Banned
Wtf is this man?

How many times does this shit have to happen?

I'm glad I'm in the UK where the chances of this happening arent so ridiculously high.

Ffs man...and the poor kid. When the kid says "I'm right here with you".....my days

Nightbird

I'm furious right now at the situation (3 deaths in just a few days apart) but this is the first time I actually looked into statistics (because fuck statistics).

Let me get this straight though.

1 white person died to a cop per every 398,416 white person in 2015
1 black person died to a cop per every 146,069 black person in 2015

To be on equal terms more than twice as many white people would have had to be shot dead by police.

If four times as many white people were shot dead the ratio between black/ white would be reversed, where white people would be shot dead at the same rate as black people currently are in comparison.

Is this right?

sounds about right

Honestly looking into purchasing a gun. I've thought about it before but I think it is time now. I am no longer going to accept peaceful protests and some cool t shirts . I will learn to protect myself and not be the latest victim.
If you're going to do this, don't do it for violence and do it safely. Known your laws. If you need guidance feel free to pm me.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Do we know what is going to happen to that cop?

If it went down as he said to the woman, nothing. He told him to keep his hands where he can see them and the victim still grabbed for his ID, after telling the officer he was carrying and despite the officer telling him to stop it. If anything he will maybe be charged with excessive force, because shooting four shots just to make him stop grabbing for his ID is overkill. TBH if I was a cop and telling an armed person to stop moving and he wouldn't I probably would shoot too.

TalonJH

Why don't I hear anyone talking about the relation of police gun violence + amount of guns in america?

Granted there is a LOT of racism among police, but it doesn't help when you are thinking in the back of your mind that it's more likely that this person your pulling over has a gun, than doesn't have one. Police officers in Canada have to worry about the possibility of a gun being pulled much less. Mix a nervous cop + racism, recipe for disaster.

That video is too much. Americans need their guns taken away.

Because white people in the south aren't being killed left and right and they sure as fuck own more guns than we do.

Also, according to the girlfriend. The man told the officer that he had a gun and it was legal. He literally tried to defuse the situation before it evan began and he was still shot. The officer had warning and he still killed an innocent man.

Squalor

Honestly looking into purchasing a gun. I've thought about it before but I think it is time now. I am no longer going to accept peaceful protests and some cool t shirts . I will learn to protect myself and not be the latest victim.
This kills the GAFfer.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
At this point, I don't even know how to react to something like this, it's just become so common. I want to feel sad and upset, but what really scares me is that this doesn't surprise me anymore.

:(

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the rationale behind this man who was shot on why he carries a gun.

Only except the presence of a firearm was what helped get him killed.

The pervasiveness of firearms in this country only creates more problems with law enforcement. If they know you are armed, they are that much more likely to kill you if they perceive you as a threat.

Hoo-doo

Banned
They're not afraid of everyone. They're afraid of black men.

Fear that's amplified further when encountering young black men, absolutely. Instantly they fear for their lives and it's insane how poorly these police officers cope with these situations.

But no matter the colour of their skin, one thought will invariably go through the head of any police officer when approaching a vehicle: 'This guy might be armed - I might get shot - Fuck'. And sadly, black people seem to get zero margin for error with these numbskulls.

As a Minnesotan - this fucking sucks. Please don't interpret what I'm about to say as "all cops are evil" (because I don't believe that) - but this cop deserves to go to jail for murder. This was cold blooded. I hope the trial is heavily publicized and his sentence severe enough to send a message through the ranks nationwide.

That said, I believe Gov. Mark Dayton Responded well by having the US DOJ do an independent investigation and reaching out to the US Attorney Genral for a civil rights investigation. I hesitate to say he deserves "credit" for the response, as this shit shouldn't happen in the first place. Honestly in Minnesota I thought we were above this sort of shit. Sucks to be proven so very wrong in that regard.

As a Minnesotan - this fucking sucks. Please don't interpret what I'm about to say as "all cops are evil" (because I don't believe that) - but this cop deserves to go to jail for murder. This was cold blooded. I hope the trial is heavily publicized and his sentence severe enough to send a message through the ranks nationwide.

That said, I believe Gov. Mark Dayton Responded well by having the US DOJ do an independent investigation and reaching out to the US Attorney Genral for a civil rights investigation. I hesitate to say he deserves "credit" for the response, as this shit shouldn't happen in the first place. Honestly in Minnesota I thought we were above this sort of shit. Sucks to be proven so very wrong in that regard.

I don't even blink when an investigation is announced anymore. Nothing is going to come from it. It never does.

Rembrandt

Banned

Get one. I'm getting my license for one soon.

Fear that's amplified further when encountering young black men, absolutely. Instantly they fear for their lives and it's insane how poorly these police officers cope with these situations.

But no matter the colour of their skin, one thought will invariably go through the head of any police officer when approaching a vehicle: 'This guy might be armed - I might get shot - Fuck'. And sadly, black people seem to get zero margin for error with these numbskulls.

It shouldn't. The chances of them getting shot are incredibly low.

I don't even blink when an investigation is announced anymore. Nothing is going to come from it. It never does.

I honestly believe he will be indicted and convicted based off the comments made by the governor this morning. This is so much more blatant. There is no excuse. No beaten girlfriend. No wrestling match in which to claim he was reaching for the officer's gun. No robbery.

A woman calling the officer "sir" for the duration of a video as her lover bleeds to death /streamed live for all his friends and family to see.

I do believe there is no excuse to let this cop go. If he gets off, I will be so very fucking pissed. I'm not the rioting type, but man...

If it went down as he said to the woman, nothing. He told him to keep his hands where he can see them and the victim still grabbed for his ID, after telling the officer he was carrying and despite the officer telling him to stop it. If anything he will maybe be charged with excessive force, because shooting four shots just to make him stop grabbing for his ID is overkill. TBH if I was a cop and telling an armed person to stop moving and he wouldn't I probably would shoot too.

Even if it went down the way the cop says it did then shouldn't his first course of action to have been having the guy get out of the car to disarm him? Or do cops reach in to do it? I honestly don't know.

I guess I'm just not sure why the guy was even given the opportunity to reach for anything at all when I would think the cop would bas asking him to get out of the car right away to disarm him. No gun on the civilian = no reason to worry about getting shot.

But you're right though, even if it went down the way the cop said he'll likely get off with a suspension at worst.

Can we update the OP with the victim's name? Philando Castile.

Ok, that's an awesome fucking name.

Ottobit

Banned
why is the cop so damn scared in the first place? what made himf eel threatened enough to pull a gun and shoot? like... you can hear him in the video say "I TOLD HIM NOT TO DO IT" or something like that. does he not realize you can pull a gun and simply point it at someone and they will almost always stop whatever the fuck it is that they're doing? you don't have to shoot first, think later. does the cop really think this guy would have pulled a gun and attacked him faster than he couldn't emptied his clip into him? he's in a car with a weapon he told you about that is not even drawn yet, not to mention HIS KID IS IN THE CAR. WHY would he pull a gun on you, dude?! it makes NO sense. i'm so tired of this shit.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah the cop is very badly trained, and mentally not ready for a goddamn traffic stop with a black man in the car.

This guy should absolutely lose his job and get a prison sentence imo. Straight up killed the man.

jett

D-Member

Yeah... How many high-profile cases like this have we got the last few years? Cops even wear bodycams now. They don't give a fuck. It's really never going to change. At least, I don't know what it's going to take.

RulkezX

I mean the whole situation is insane, and I'm not trying to dismiss his death at all because it's another ridiculously avoidable tradgedy, but what possesses a cop to fire into a car containing a kid.

I just can't imagine a training situation where any scenario that had innocents in the car wouldn't result in the officer trying to descalating the situation.

I think a lot of the vehement denial in accepting racism and institutional racism is that it will force the beneficiaries of systemic racism to acknowledge that perhaps the great things they've achieved weren't solely because of their own talent and merit. A lot of people work really hard to get where they're at, and the idea that even just a smidgen of that success can be attributed to white privilege and institutional racism rankles their feathers. It's a shattering of their world view. A world view in which we're all told that all we have to do is work hard, keep your head straight, and you'll achieve your dreams. The little caveat is that being a white male in America will give you a few extra stat points and XP to get a leg up. Being a minority generally has you enter the game with negative stat points and zero XP.

That idea is upsetting to those people. It's easier to just deny that they have had a leg up by virtue of being born white, because accepting the truth of that makes them feel dirty. I can understand it. Nobody wants to be told that what they've worked really hard for has a taint on it. There are self made people from every walk of life, for sure, but it's undeniable that being born a white person in America grants you a few extra concessions. I mean, look at the story earlier this week, where that young white guy was talking some mad fucking shit to police, and being overall belligerent, and what did he get for it? A smug mug shot and some time in jail. This black man, who was pulled over for a busted tail light, told the officer that he had a permit to carry a firearm, was armed, and was just reaching for his identification like the officer ordered, and what did it get him? Four bullets and a trip six feet under. I can't fabricate a clearer instance of white privilege than what has happened in reality just this week.

You had people in that thread praising the guy as a hero for sticking it to the man, but there are already people digging in the dirt to victim blame this young black man and father. It's sickening, and depressing, and, as a black man, frustrating.

Black people aren't asking that white people get brutalized by police in order for things to be equal. Black people are asking that police officers stop brutalizing them and treat them like human beings. Suspects, sure, but human beings none-the-less. This isn't some eye for an eye call to action. It's a call to empathy. I know criminals are criminals, but they are still due some level of human rights when being apprehended and brought in. A routine traffic stop shouldn't end in their deaths, whether saint or sinner.

For fuck sakes, this.

pigeon

Banned
I mean the whole situation is insane, and I'm not trying to dismiss his death at all because it's another ridiculously avoidable tradgedy, but what possesses a cop to fire into a car containing a kid.

I just can't imagine a training situation where any scenario that had innocents in the car wouldn't result in the officer trying to descalating the situation.

Imagine a situation where everybody implicitly agrees and acknowledges that the lives of black people are not valuable and can be expended at any time to protect person or property with no consequences.

What happens then?

Imagine a situation where everybody implicitly agrees and acknowledges that the lives of black people are not valuable and can be expended at any time to protect person or property with no consequences.

What happens then?

Like 800 years of western civilization that we don't like to talk about.

koji kabuto

When this kinda of shit was happening in Iraq and Afghanistan we endup having ISIS as pure revenge reaction madness.

No matter what race you are or the social class you belong to, You need to do whatever you can peacefully and legally to stop this disaster from happening again..

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
its ridiculous that this just happened, again.

Also where the hell is the NRA? Oh, i forgot only white people are allowed to carry.

And for those asking when you carry a CCL you're required to notify police officers that you have a CCL and if you are carrying, or something along those lines

jmood88

Something seriously wrong with police training in the US. By all accounts that was a normal traffic stop yet it ends up with an adrenaline pumped cop shooting someone dead.
It's not training, it's racism that isn't addressed and a system that allows the people who commit a crime to cover it up with no consequences. Then, even when you have civilian review boards or grand juries, they willingly buy into this "every cop is a hero" bullshit and defer to the cop's judgement over common sense.

MMaRsu

Banned
It's not training, it's racism that isn't addressed and a system that allows the people who commit a crime to cover it up with no consequences. Then, even when you have civilian review boards or grand juries, they willingly buy into this "every cop is a hero" bullshit and defer to the cop's judgement over common sense.

While I agree that racism certainly is a factor, this cop is certainly not mentally capable of this job.

Training and selective.hiring is part of that as well.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Fuck is this bullshit?

Ive had guns pulled on me for eating chicken nuggets at 4pm in a McDonald's parking lot.

Back in like February of 2014 I was driving to get some Wendy's at midnight when I accidentally passed by it. I turned into a lot off the side of the road in order to use it to turn around and go back the other way....

When I got to the lot's exit it was blocked by a cop car with lights on, and the cop got out with his hand on his holster "Can I help you?" and his dog yapping away. Turns out I had turned into a police lot, but the sign was obscured by snow.

In my quest for a midnight snack I somehow found myself inexplicably boxed inside an empty lot by a cop with a dog in attack mode and reaching for his sidearm and no one else around. It was a little unsettling, especially since I had no idea what was going on and literally was just turning around.

"Can I help you" says the cop with his hand on his gun after barricading me in a lot.

Cops need to stop treating their weapons like comfort blankets.

I'm white BTW. Once I saw the cop I turned on my interior lights and put my hands on the wheel and waited.

The Adder

Banned
I get what you're saying and why, but I think the last thing we should be doing is encouraging decent police officers to quit. You said it yourself, at best they'd lose their jobs and probably not be able to find another position at a different department. So the answer is to have them all quit so that we're left with nothing but the scumbags? Just seems like a idiculous way to look at it.

You're missing the point.

All we have right now is scumbags. The ostensibly 'decent' ones aren't doing shit. Maybe if we only had the bullies and murderers instead of the line riding sons of bitches who cover up for them then white America will finally get their fucking panties in a twist about cops abusing their power and some of that fucking regulation would do a little bit for us.

Memory

This is beyond sad, its fucked up as i to love America, fucked up past an all. Its my number one holiday spot, I've spend so much time and money there its insane. But i feel like i can't go back as i'm simply not welcome or safe. As a law abiding regular ass guy i shouldn't have to feel this way in what i consider my second home.

I've had two run ins with clearly racist cops, once in Detroit and once in San Francisco, its crazy to think that maybe it was only my accent and the presence of my girlfriend that stopped the situation escalating to the point of being shot at.

Stay safe out there GAF and major props to people of all colours/cultures that call this shit out and try to help to progress past this archaic and savage bullshit.

Pepboy

I think a lot of the vehement denial in accepting racism and institutional racism is that it will force the beneficiaries of systemic racism to acknowledge that perhaps the great things they've achieved weren't solely because of their own talent and merit. A lot of people work really hard to get where they're at, and the idea that even just a smidgen of that success can be attributed to white privilege and institutional racism rankles their feathers. It's a shattering of their world view. A world view in which we're all told that all we have to do is work hard, keep your head straight, and you'll achieve your dreams. The little caveat is that being a white male in America will give you a few extra stat points and XP to get a leg up. Being a minority generally has you enter the game with negative stat points and zero XP.

That idea is upsetting to those people. It's easier to just deny that they have had a leg up by virtue of being born white, because accepting the truth of that makes them feel dirty. I can understand it. Nobody wants to be told that what they've worked really hard for has a taint on it. There are self made people from every walk of life, for sure, but it's undeniable that being born a white person in America grants you a few extra concessions. I mean, look at the story earlier this week, where that young white guy was talking some mad fucking shit to police, and being overall belligerent, and what did he get for it? A smug mug shot and some time in jail. This black man, who was pulled over for a busted tail light, told the officer that he had a permit to carry a firearm, was armed, and was just reaching for his identification like the officer ordered, and what did it get him? Four bullets and a trip six feet under. I can't fabricate a clearer instance of white privilege than what has happened in reality just this week.

You had people in that thread praising the guy as a hero for sticking it to the man, but there are already people digging in the dirt to victim blame this young black man and father. It's sickening, and depressing, and, as a black man, frustrating.

Black people aren't asking that white people get brutalized by police in order for things to be equal. Black people are asking that police officers stop brutalizing them and treat them like human beings. Suspects, sure, but human beings none-the-less. This isn't some eye for an eye call to action. It's a call to empathy. I know criminals are criminals, but they are still due some level of human rights when being apprehended and brought in. A routine traffic stop shouldn't end in their deaths, whether saint or sinner.

A great post, though I typically disagree with binary definitions of privilege, the black-white gap in America is still shocking, even when looking at averages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom