• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman records boyfriend after getting shot by the Police on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first reaction would be to try and do something to my SO, not make a video. Not knocking her for it, I'm just surprised. I can see you getting all angry at me already so cool your jets.

Haha, what? What did you interpret as angry in my post? It was a genuine question. You're being too defensive.

My first reaction would be to try and do something to my SO, not make a video. Not knocking her for it, I'm just surprised. I can see you getting all angry at me already so cool your jets.

Well, I'm not angry at you so I'll respond.

Her first reaction, if it matched yours, would have her killed alongside her boyfriend, and left the child in the backseat without a mother and a father. If you watch the video, the cop while hysterical yells at her to keep her hands still. This is even after she shows utter amounts of restraint.

Many times, the only thing that can save us as minorites is to be docile. It didn't this time for Castile, but its the surest bet. Its hard for many to fathom. Yes, I think everyone's first reaction is to do something, but our mothers and fathers drilled it into us at a very young age that around cops you don't do SHIT but sit there and say yes sir and no sir. I had the talk with my mom when i was 6 years old. Again when i was 13, and right after Trayvon's death when I was 21.

Please don't besmirch her for having the wherewithal to survive an encounter with a bad officer who was willing to kill at a drop of a hat. You do what you have to do when it involves the cop, first reactions, dignity, pride be damned.

edit: And she made a video for life insurance. If anything happens, its on camera. If it was a he-said she said incident with the officer, do you really think we would bat one eye? The public would assume he was a gangbanger who aggressively went for a gun. Would have been the end of it. Smartest thing she could have done.

zoukka

To watch your partner getting murdered and realizing the killer is immune to law... You just have to sit there while he dies.

Hell on earth.

With what happened in Dallas tonight, any progress on really speaking about how police interact why the community specially e black community is gone. And I'm sure basically these people shot the cops as an act of revenge but something like this will have much deeper consequences.

With what happened in Dallas tonight, any progress on really speaking about how police interact why the community specially e black community is gone. And I'm sure basically these people shot the cops as an act of revenge but something like this will have much deeper consequences.

Don't speak too soon about Dallas. We'll see. Gun Control is still on the table after such an event.

woopWOOP

This video messed me up. Not even being allowed to hold and speak to your boyfriend as he's slowly dying right next to you. Fucking hell man.

The amount of comments on the site I viewed the video on that were trying to spin this into him probably deserving it anyway is incredibly depressing.

Mr. X

why wasn't she helping him? The dude was just dying next to her and all she did was making a video
Cop had his gun out with his finger still on the trigger after plugging 4 bullets into a man who was complying with the law and was freaking out.

Maybe it's your privilege talking or you're not familiar with US police but if she moved anymore, she'd have the rest of that clip in her.

Why is your reaction not towards the cop letting him bleed to death in front of his girlfriend and the child?

CmzCH2WUkAAoY56.jpg:large

heartbreaking

Dreavus

It's so weird. Why would the cop have his gun out at all? He asks for ID, the guy tells him he's getting his ID, and BAM! He must've approached the car with his weapon drawn? Is that acceptable? I would think if there's a situation where you're approaching a car with weapon drawn, you should call for backup before doing anything...

This is what gets me too. Are the guns just out all the time? I feel like here in Canada if you ever see an officer with his weapon out there is some SERIOUS shit is going down, it is not a thing that is taken lightly at all. You don't just whip it out for a traffic stop. Then again I am not a police officer so I could be talking out of my ass.

I don't know if I could handle watching the video, but what gets these cops so fucking freaked out that they're firing off shots like this?

Krejlooc

Banned
CmzCH2WUkAAoY56.jpg:large

heartbreaking

Its fucking disgusting that there are, right now, far right communities desperately trying to run a smear campaign against this guy. I was reading some infuriating bullshit last night about how he was a crip from some piece of shit news agency because of a picture of him from 7 years ago on facebook where he was wearing blue and chunking up the deuce.

Krejlooc

Banned
This is what gets me too. Are the guns just out all the time?

I approach cops they always immediately put their hands on their guns. Just a few months ago, in downtown houston, a homeless person was having seizures on the side of the street (happens sadly very often) and I went to go flag down a cop on horseback to tell him to call for help, and as I approached him, he put his hand on his gun.

I'm like 5'7" and he's on a fucking horse, and I'm running to him waving my hands in the air, and he instinctively puts his hand on his gun.

If this shit happens to me, imagine what every black man goes through. I'm not black, I'm hispanic.

Does anyone know when the cop pulled his gun?

It looks like this cops future will be determined a lot on when he pulled his gun. From what I've heard and read the guy didn't give the Cop any reason to pull his gun. Even if he was carrying, I don't think that is justification for the officer to pull his weapon on him.

It looks like maybe the officer already had his gun out when he approached the window.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I don't want to spread disinformation.

Mr. X

This is what gets me too. Are the guns just out all the time? I feel like here in Canada if you ever see an officer with his weapon out there is some SERIOUS shit is going down, it is not a thing that is taken lightly at all. You don't just whip it out for a traffic stop. Then again I am not a police officer so I could be talking out of my ass.

I don't know if I could handle watching the video, but what gets these cops so fucking freaked out that they're firing off shots like this?
Being black

Skinpop

So what's the problem here? Are they hiring the wrong types of individuals to be cops? Are these guys strong enough mentally? Does the training inspire confidence or does it fill them with fear and paranoia?

there's a lot of guns in america. regular people can even go and buy a handgun without hassle. If I were an officer in a country where anyone reasonably could be carrying a handgun I'd probably shoot first too. there's more to it of course, but there's no denying cops in america have a lot more to be afraid of than say here in sweden where I'm from or really any other civilized country.

ElyrionX

there's a lot of guns in america. regular people can even go and buy a handgun without hassle. If I were police in a country where anyone reasonably could be carrying a handgun I'd probably shoot first too. there's more to it of course, but there's no denying cops in america have a lot more to be afraid of than say here in sweden where I'm from or really any other civilized country.

This is true. Not that the police are justified in doing what they did in these cases. But it's not hard to see how or why police in the US tend to be more trigger-happy.

Lime

I'm sorry, it shouldn't matter if the cop has a connection to his patrol area or not. Police are supposed to be beacons of calm, strong men who feel they are in control of situations and have the resources necessary to be in control of any situation that comes their way. They wear vests, they carry weapons, they can call for backup, their cars are reinforced and most importantly they should have had the necessary training. These guys should feel near invincible, not run around like scared jumpy little puppy dogs. These guys are supposed to feel badass, almost super hero like. The whole point is they are supposed to be going out there to save America within its borders right?

So what's the problem here? Are they hiring the wrong types of individuals to be cops? Are these guys strong enough mentally? Does the training inspire confidence or does it fill them with fear and paranoia?

Living in white supremacy coupled with the Blue Wall of Silence

I refuse to watch that video, but I know it's the same story as always. So tired of it.

And with the Dallas incident, it's probably only going to get worse in the next few days.

I need to get out of this country. I don't want to deal with this anymore.

Me and my girlfriend have legit talked about seriously moving to another country if/when we have a child. Shit like Dallas just reinforced our thoughts about getting the fuck out of this crazy ass country when we have a child. I guess we just have to find a nice western democracy to move to that would allow us to immigrate relatively hassle free if it comes to it. Preferably one with strict gun control and decent healthcare.

Anticol

Banned
Me and my girlfriend have legit talked about seriously moving to another country if/when we have a child. Shit like Dallas just reinforced our thoughts about getting the fuck out of this crazy ass country when we have a child. I guess we just have to find a nice western democracy to move to that would allow us to immigrate relatively hassle free if it comes to it. Preferably one with strict gun control and decent healthcare.

Australia.

ColdPizza

Banned
Why is everyone in this thread assuming the Dallas shooters were black and it was direct retaliation to the earlier shootings this week? The protest may have been cover for a pre-planned attack.

Jackpot

Banned
I work in American law enforcement (not an officer, though) and this has been a tremendously hard few days for us.

I barely got enough sleep after hearing and seeing the officer-involved shootings -- disturbing for the race implications and for the clearly shaken officers in the traffic stop incident (just absolutely tragic and traumatic for everyone involved), went to work this evening and heard about Dallas and it is extremely heart wrenching.

From the protest shootings thread, but god damn if this doesn't exemplify the problems with police response in a nutshell. The focus on those poor, poor officers who decided to pump 4 bullets into a man for no reason. The spinning of it as a tragic accident that couldn't have been foreseen.

Meier

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but more info on the original stop. Pulled over due to his "wide nose" being similar to a robbery suspect.

“I’m going to stop a car,” the officer tells dispatchers on the recording. “I’m going to check IDs. I have reason to pull it over.”

“The two occupants just look like people that were involved in a robbery,” the officer says. “The driver looks more like one of our suspects, just ‘cause of the wide set nose,” the officer continues.

A minute and a half later, the recording captures the first report that there was a shooting.

Officer: “Shots fired Larpenteur and Fry.”
Dispatch: “Copy you just heard it? … You just heard the shots fired?”
Officer: (screaming) “Code 3! Shots fired.”
Dispatch: “Copy shots fired Larpenteur and Fry. Do you need medics?”
Officer: “Code 3!”
Dispatch: “Copy. Medics -- code 3 to Larpenteur and Fry.”
Officer: “One adult female taken into custody. Driver at gunpoint.”

http://www.kare11.com/mb/news/police-scanner-audio-1/267042738

The Kree

Banned
Why is everyone in this thread assuming the Dallas shooters were black and it was direct retaliation to the earlier shootings this week? The protest may have been cover for a pre-planned attack.
Because it's a logical conclusion to draw after countless protests and cries for justice and no change. A violent outburst like this was inevitable. No one's patience is infinite.

Regginator

Facebook recently added the ability to livestream directly to facebook

Amazing addition. If I'm not mistaking if the stream suddenly stopped, it still gets uploaded to Facebook right? That should avoid people potentially trying to get rid of evidence.

Regginator

It caught my eye that she's extremely cold and indifferent, I think she was having a massive shock and the reality didn't seem to sink in.. Horrible.

It caught my eye that she's extremely cold and indifferent, I think she was having a massive shock and the reality didn't seem to sink in.. Horrible.

I mean, there's not much else she could do. The cop was still right outside the car pointing a gun inside, and screaming at her to keep still and put her hands where he could see them. The cop was very clearly disturbed, and it's very likely he would have shot her and/or her daughter if she had made any sudden movements or tried to stop her boyfriend's bleeding.

I hope this cop rots in a prison cell for the rest of his life.

Breads

Banned

It's called trauma. People live their lives never expecting things like this to happen to them. We tell ourselves that these are the sort of things that happen to other people. Not us. So when it does sometimes you get into shock. Sometimes you don't know how to react.

When I was stabbed and slashed I laughed it off while holding my arm together and didn't internalize how serious it was until hours later.

Educate me on Brazil. I thought race was a non issue there

Xenophobia and racism is the same thing in the end.

http://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...ation-for-race-blindness-is-undone-by-reality

http://www.economist.com/node/21543494

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/brasilia/social-and-human-sciences/ethnic-and-racial-relations/

Just google "race relations in Brazil" and you'll get a ton of articles examining the issue. Brazil is like most other places in that, the darker your skin, the worse off you tend to be.

Xenophobia has more to do with the country and/or culture you hail from over the race you identify (or are seen) as, although xenophobia and racism do often do hand in hand.

Caja 117

Im so frustrated right now, how can you explain to an outsider that threre is a Systematic problem with the police? I have friends form my home country basically defending police behavior, how do you explain to them this is not the police doing their work? one of my friend basically says that he doesn't believe Police just stop a Black person for no reason at all.

pixelation

What the fuck man, how do they train this people?, what the fuck to they feed them?, my blood is boiling... this is devastating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom