• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman becomes the top grossing domestic superhero origin film this weekend

kswiston

Wonder Woman will make a little over $1M this weekend to become the highest grossing superhero origin film of all time domestically with $404M and counting. The title was previously held by Spider-Man ($403.7M) for over 15 years. Before Spider-Man, the record holder was Batman 1989 ($251M). Batman and Spider-man also held the overall superhero gross record for 13 and 6 years respectively.

Here's how the all time domestic superhero chart looks as of Friday (Aug 18). Wonder Woman will add roughly $750k to what is listed through Sunday.

gWuewfD.png

Depending on holds in the next few weeks, Wonder Woman could potentially top Civil War and Iron Man 3 domestically. This would give DC a majority share of the domestic superhero Top 5 for the first time since 2004. Of course, both Civil War and Iron Man 3 will remain far ahead worldwide.

Wonder Woman is also set to pass another milestone this weekend, breaking the $800M mark worldwide. It is currently the 5th highest grossing film of the year worldwide, behind Beauty and the Beast, Fate of the Furious, Despicable Me 3, and Guardians of the Galaxy v2. However, both Spider-Man Homecoming and the Chinese Film Wolf Warrior 2 are likely to pass Wonder Woman in coming weeks.

Wonder Woman's release in Japan next weekend will determine whether the film is able to displace Spider-Man as the top superhero origin film worldwide ($822M). The Japanese run will need to come in somewhere between $17-19M to hit that mark, depending on remaining domestic legs.

EDIT: Wonder Woman is also the third highest grossing film in Warner Bros history domestically

1oDMyEy.png

Volimar

Thought Deadpool would be higher. R rating put some limitations on it I guess.

Remember when we were praying WW wouldn't bomb for the sake of more female led superhero films?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I wonder if this means DC will make more Wonder Woman stuff.

I know you're kidding but how nuts is it that we still don't know when a Man of Steel 2 is coming but we do know when Wonder Woman 2's release date is.

What a success story.

Amusing that Wonder Woman and Batman are the top domestic grossing movies for WB. If only a Superman solo was there as well.

Platy

So sad that Female Super Hero movies aren't profitable .... imagine if it were than this movie would have made some really huge records

kmfdmpig

He is joking. Spider-man Homecoming will finish over $325M domestic, and will end somewhere around $850M worldwide.

It's hilarious that so many writers jumped on the "superhero movies are dying" train this summer despite how well superhero movies did this year and how poorly many non-superhero movies performed.

Well deserved. And after years of using previous superheroine movie failures to dissuade newer ones, it's nice to know this can be held up as s massive success.

Kthulhu

I know you're kidding but how nuts is it that we still don't know when a Man of Steel 2 is coming but we do know when Wonder Woman 2's release date is.

I wasn't kidding. Wonder Woman doesn't have nearly as large as pop culture presence as Batman or Superman despite supposedly being one of DCs big 3.

I also wasn't referring to movies. Obviously there will be more of those.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I wasn't kidding. Wonder Woman doesn't have nearly as large as pop culture presence as Batman or Superman despite supposedly being one of DCs big 3.

Oh, well, I would assume they'll be pushing more Wonder Woman related media. They'd be numb not to.

DeathyBoy

Banned

I also wasn't referring to movies. Obviously there will be more of those.

She was always one of DC's big 3.

The narrative she wasn't was always ridiculous. Thankfully this film is conclusive proof.

kswiston

Looks like a mod fixed it already. "origin".

Whoops. I had to edit the title a few times to fit. That was in there originally, so I didn't even notice the mod edit. I also had the $800M stat in the title at one point, but couldn't fit that and signify that this record is for domestic box office, so I figured that keeping the worldwide total would be confusing. I must have accidentally deleted the word origin when I put in domestic.

Thanks anonymous mod!

Daingurse

Extremely impressive. I never could of predicted it surpassing Deadpool domestically, let alone Spider-Man. I'm very interested to see what impact this is going to have going forward.

Wonder Woman has pull!

ReiGun

My girl did it.

Bow down, bitches.

This movie's success has been extremely vindicating for me in a way I'm almost embarassed to admit.

- J - D -

Whoops. I had to edit the title a few times to fit. That was in there originally, so I didn't even notice the mod edit. I also had the $800M stat in the title at one point, but couldn't fit that and signify that this record is for domestic box office, so I figured that keeping the worldwide total would be confusing. I must have accidentally deleted the word origin when I put in domestic.

Thanks anonymous mod!

Cool. Thanks for your efforts, swis.

She was always one of DC's big 3.

The narrative she wasn't was always ridiculous. Thankfully this film is conclusive proof.

I think the issue is that, yes, she's one of the big three. But those three haven't been treated equal. Heck, Batman content easily outweighs Superman and Wonder Woman combined.

Still hoping they plan a Wonder Woman video game now that there's proof of her potential.

I don't normally turn out for DC films (they're often too dark and domestic for me, and I've always been more of a Spidey type. And don't even get me started on Batman.) But yeah, if any DC character makes me smile and beam rainbows it's got to be Wonder Woman. Lynda Carter was impressive in the part, and to this day her credibility as the one great DC superhero on television in her era is paying dividends for DC.

Top Bottom