• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman becomes the top grossing domestic superhero origin film this weekend

firelogic

What are some blockbuster-type films that haven't done well in recent years despite near universal praise?

Does Mad Max Fury Road count? Huge budget, one gigantic set-piece spanning the entire movie. 97% fresh, 8.6/10 avg review score. $154M domestic, $224M international. $378M total.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Will Wonder Woman 2 be able to top this? It seems unlikely to me. WW seems like it hit at the right time, and the World War 1 period gave it cross generational appeal. I cannot imagine that a theoretical modern-day sequel would fare as well.

Yes, it can. $450m DOM/$550m OS, 1 billion here we come!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think you need some caveats. I can't think of many films with near universal praise that King Arthured, but plenty of underperformed relative to their budget.

The Edge of Tomorrow and Mad Max Fury Road for instance.

I was only referring to the domestic market. Wonder Woman's overseas take wasn't so remarkable that a sequel couldn't add another $100M to it, given the right circumstances.
Yeah overseas growth will determine if it manages it. WW didn't perform exceeding well overseas and even a bump up to the usual marvel overseas gross. Would make 900 mill to a bill feasible.

I assume they saw how Star Wars performed at that slot and are hoping to replicate it.

0zxkuak0i86x.gif

Now give me an animated Wonder Woman tv series, give me a Wonder Woman video game, give me a DC wide comic event starring WW and her mythos, give me more WW comic books in general, give me a bagillion more WW figures and toys, give me MORE.

plssssssss

with Lego Batman cooling off I hope the suits realize Diana is the next hot thing

And a Wonder Woman game that spans Ancient Greece/Themyscira to BvS era would be amazing. Throw the kitchen sink at it. Time travel, treachery, deceit, explosions, all of it

Does Mad Max Fury Road count? Huge budget, one gigantic set-piece spanning the entire movie. 97% fresh, 8.6/10 avg review score. $154M domestic, $224M international. $378M total.

I'm still salty it didn't break $500M global

Glad it took home a semi full of Oscars though ... still shocked it did

Miller deserved Best Director tho

Akiraptor

I think you need some caveats. I can't think of many films with near universal praise that King Arthured, but plenty of underperformed relative to their budget.

The Edge of Tomorrow and Mad Max Fury Road for instance.

I'm not so sure I'd say those underperformed. They weren't huge hits, but both made enough money to justify sequels (though I'm unsure if Furiosa is a sequel or a prequel).

Top Bottom