• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst out of place sh*t in video games?

JordiENP

so I was replaying Bioshock, when suddenly...

man... what the fuck.

post out of place stuff on video games that ruin your gaming sessions!

0ZlPEyu.jpg

the opening screen. instantly reminds me i'm not really in an apocalyptic, post nuke boston, but am simply sitting on my ass at home playing some stupid damn video game. completely demolishes my immersion (same thing for the save menu. i mean, how can i be 'saving' if i'm really there?)...

Last edited:

Dancer_BV

completely demolishes my immersion (same thing for the save menu. i mean, how can i be 'saving' if i'm really there?)...
Some games circumvent this by turning the save menu into a journal or something similar.

An auto-save-only playthrough might also be unique to try depending on prioritizing immersion over gameplay mechanics and convenience.

fatmarco

When Assassin's Creed Valhalla got to the invasion of England and there wasn't even an intimation that your characters were the villains of the story. I basically quit the game right there.

It's fine to play as Vikings but at least try not to make the invaded people the villains of the story. It's utterly idiotic, and in any other context you'd be laughed out the room as a racist, revisionist moron.

Games that recognise you're the bad guy when you're the bad guy are far better than those whose developers are too deluded to realise you aren't.

Dancer_BV

yeah it's those tape things you collect
My mind must have done an excellent job at blocking those out when I did try the Remastered version, since for whatever reason I don't remember that at all.

Sorry you were smacked with that .mp4 file in the middle of an otherwise excellent game.

Aces High

surely-there-will-be-civilised-and-well-mannered-people-in-v0-g6m5rcofkixb1.jpg
In Alan Wake 2 when Saga suddenly says that she won't let another white male dictate her life. I was like WTF 😳
Found :
I think it's actually a good thing.

This is exactly how media was before wokeness took over.

Writing should be 100% unfiltered for these kinds of games.

Many people in real life have racist tendencies, so it's only normal that authentic characters have them too.

Jesb

Most things in games is out of place. Like who do I have to thank for conveniently leaving these bullets for me all over the place.

Fredrik

When Assassin's Creed Valhalla got to the invasion of England and there wasn't even an intimation that your characters were the villains of the story. I basically quit the game right there.

It's fine to play as Vikings but at least try not to make the invaded people the villains of the story. It's utterly idiotic, and in any other context you'd be laughed out the room as a racist, revisionist moron.

Games that recognise you're the bad guy when you're the bad guy are far better than those whose developers are too deluded to realise you aren't.
Yeah there was a mind clash for me with that game. I never got over it and basically quit the game because of it. Worst quest was when I was supposed to light the houses on fire in a village and the village people were running and screaming. They tried to make it seem like there were some heroic ambition to free a country, it’s like some Pootin revisionary thinking. I didn’t quit right there but my interest in the story was about 1/10. Looked up the ending on Youtube instead. Just no thanks.

StueyDuck

surely-there-will-be-civilised-and-well-mannered-people-in-v0-g6m5rcofkixb1.jpg
In Alan Wake 2 when Saga suddenly says that she won't let another white male dictate her life. I was like WTF 😳
Found :
I mean... story wise
it's when Saga becomes anti-saga and is in the dark place and having a mental break down, basically the bad guy version of saga. She also blames basically everyone and everything in this moment.

I remember seeing this prior to playing the game and its really an out of context screen grab.

Last edited:

Vblad88

Most out of place ? That must be additional censorship prompt placed after interactive body desecration piece in “Martha is dead”… don’t understand that to this day

SCB3

For me its Yakuza/Like a Dragon series

I know they're loved but the over the top silliness does not go with the super serious story thats going on, if they were left to just be side quests, thats no issue, go for it, the problem is when they intergrate it into the main quest, for example the last game had close to 5 hours of silly side quests that you HAD to do to progress the story (Dondoko Island and the Sujimon stuff)

Judgement and especially Lost Judgement handled this so so much better

• Tutorials
  • Long (narrated) cutscenes that transport some explicit plot/story bit
  • QTE
Get that shit out of my face. Go make some films if you feel artsy

xrnzaaas

I never play games with director's commentary or stuff like that, I'm just focused on the game, not how it was made. I can agree they should've added that movie clip to one of Bioshock's menus instead of randomly dropping it in the world.

Top Bottom