• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst physical pain you've experienced in your life?

Mine would have to be this mouth infection I got two years ago when I tried TCP mouthwash. The next day I woke up with like a dozen ulcers all over my mouth. Tongue, lip, cheeks, etc. Each stang very sharply to the point where I couldn't even open my mouth properly because it would get very painful and couldn't sleep without waking up at 2 hour intervals or so. Thankfully it only lasted a week though.

Last edited:
Somebody make a joke about some garbage film or beloved game. But for God's sake, don't mention a Playstation or Xbox exclusive!

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
A slipped disc.

i-broke-my-back-drinking.gif

Codes 208

Appendicitis, at first i thought i was just severely sick (induced vomiting several times but the pain persisted)
when we went to the clinic i described the pain and they told us that it was way too severe to be flu or cold so they sent us to the ER. Got checked and there ya go: my appendix was ready to burst.

If it hadnt gotten checked, it likely would have bursted either that night or the following morning and i wouldve been poisoned from that.

But i digress, it was the kind of pain that didnt come back in waves, it was just constant for hours on end and nothing i did helped

Also a little insult to injury: this happened just before thanksgiving, and after that kind of surgery you cant eat solid foods for several days so i had pudding only. On thanksgiving.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Probably when i was 3 years old and a big piece of glass got stuck into my cheek, but i can't clearly remember the level of pain.

My father always told me how brave i was because my mother was fainting on and off in the car when we were getting to the hospital and i was trying to calm her down with a big piece of glass in my face and blood spilling everywhere.

Pretty sure he was lying like when he told me that my small parrots paco and paquita flew away...

Climbed into a techno club because the queue was too long.
Slit my entire left ring finger on top of the fence and it had to be sewn with at least 25 stitches.
Always wear leather gloves if you're climbing on spiky fences, kids!

Probably when i was 3 years old and a big piece of glass got stuck into my cheek, but i can't clearly remember the level of pain.

My father always told me how brave i was because my mother was fainting on and off in the car when we were getting to the hospital and i was trying to calm her down with a big piece of glass in my face and blood spilling everywhere.

Pretty sure he was lying like when he told me that my small parrots paco and paquita flew away...
Huge fucking yikes

If we're talking about instant pain(as in over the course of a few seconds or minutes) I would say having my finger squeezed in between my door hinge counts. I've always been terrified of door hinges since.

Mohonky

A slipped disc.

i-broke-my-back-drinking.gif
I dunno that I've slipped a disc, but every now and then I definitely do something to to my back.

Originally hurt it years ago on a construction site moving sheets of steel. Every now and again I do something like just move the wrong way and it's enough to drop me to the floor in agony and I can't find the right way to move to get back up.

Otherwise the only other thing I can think of is I pulled or tore a muscle in my upper neck / lower skull when I had a coughing fit. I literally feared every cough there after, of which I had many as I was sick; couldn't sleep, couldn't cough.....just a shit time all round

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Appendicitis, at first i thought i was just severely sick (induced vomiting several times but the pain persisted)
when we went to the clinic i described the pain and they told us that it was way too severe to be flu or cold so they sent us to the ER. Got checked and there ya go: my appendix was ready to burst.

If it hadnt gotten checked, it likely would have bursted either that night or the following morning and i wouldve been poisoned from that.

But i digress, it was the kind of pain that didnt come back in waves, it was just constant for hours on end and nothing i did helped

Also a little insult to injury: this happened just before thanksgiving, and after that kind of surgery you cant eat solid foods for several days so i had pudding only. On thanksgiving.
Same thing happened to me but before my exams. The teacher said it was the best excuse he ever heard for missing an exam.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Huge fucking yikes
I still have a pretty big scar but people unexplicably can't see it...

Like i had friends and girls noticing the scar after many years...

I had a female friend who didn't had a couple of fingers in one hand and she always told me how his boyfriends never noticed that...i can understand a face scar but how can you miss some missing fingers??

Last edited:

Moneal

Had a filling fall out when I was 12 or 13. Bit into something without knowing. I cant even describe the pain. I could only eat soup, basically broth, through a straw for a whole weekend until I got to a dentist to do a root canal.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I dunno that I've slipped a disc, but every now and then I definitely do something to to my back.

Originally hurt it years ago on a construction site moving sheets of steel. Every now and again I do something like just move the wrong way and it's enough to drop me to the floor in agony and I can't find the right way to move to get back up.

Otherwise the only other thing I can think of is I pulled or tore a muscle in my upper neck / lower skull when I had a coughing fit. I literally feared every cough there after, of which I had many as I was sick; couldn't sleep, couldn't cough.....just a shit time all round
The biggest telltale signs of a slipped disc are weak limbs and shooting pain. If you had them, you'd know.
Most of the time the condition heals on its own with no serious complications. And to help prevent it in the future you must maintain a good posture, lift things properly, etc.

But if it was a muscle issue that would be a different case, with its own causes and treatments.
It sucks that this is a reoccurring issue for you, man. I hope you can you find a way to mitigate it.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I still have a pretty big scar but people unexplicalby can't see it...

Like i had friends and girls noticing the scar after many years...

I had a female friend who didn't had a couple of fingers in one hand and she always told me how his boyfriends never noticed that...i can understand a face scar but how can you miss some missing fingers??

Guess she never gave him a handjob.

Edit: she always told me how his boyfriends

Its A Trap Movie GIF by Star Wars

Last edited:

Dural

In 2019 took a family trip out west and went to several national parks. On the way out of Yosemite one of my ears wouldn't pop, didn't seem like a big deal at first, but that night at the hotel was the worst pain I've felt in my life. It felt like my head was going to explode, pain radiated down the side of my face to my jaw and teeth. The next day the pain went down but the bubble in my ear didn't go away for a couple months and I have some hearing loss in that ear. I've never had an issue with elevation changes before or since, but for whatever reason the descent out of Yosemite did it for me.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
2 Wisdom teeth.

1 broken finger.

when I was a kid I had a giant ass shard of glass pierce my foot almost through, it left a pretty notable scar.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nothing permanent, but I've had intense back back every 5 years for a handful of days. Just getting out of bed or from dozing off on the couch. I can barely move. I have to walk around like hunchback of notre dame and sometimes I had to crawl up and down the stairs because walking was too painful. The worst is trying to wipe your ass. It's so painful I literally sit there for an extra 5 minutes concentrating on rounding up the courage to stand up and wipe!

I've tried pain pills and the shit you slather on sore joints and none of that works at all. All I can do is let it wear off. I know it will, but the first thing I think of whn I get it is "Fuck, what if this time it's permanent?" It never is though.

Patrick S.

Banned
Nothing permanent, but I've had intense back back every 5 years for a handful of days. Just getting out of bed or from dozing off on the couch. I can barely move. I have to walk around like hunchback of notre dame and sometimes I had to crawl up and down the stairs because walking was too painful. The worst is trying to wipe your ass. It's so painful I literally sit there for an extra 5 minutes concentrating on rounding up the courage to stand up and wipe!

I've tried pain pills and the shit you slather on sore joints and none of that works at all. All I can do is let it wear off. I know it will, but the first thing I think of whn I get it is "Fuck, what if this time it's permanent?" It never is though.
I had that from 2007 to 2009. Took two Ibu 600 every day, got a full body MRI, got electroshock therapy, ended in palliative care, got Tramadol and Tilidin... nothing really helped. I just stopped taking the meds one day, and the pains slowly started fading after more than two years.

I still get it when I'm in a hunched position for some time, like, cleaning dishes is HELL. And the other day I was building a bed, and I was hunched or kneeling for a couple of hours, and I didn't have any pain or anything until I was done and got up, when I got a burst of pain unlike anything I've felt in years. I could barely move, and I even cried from the pain. Later I cried again, out of frustration and pain. Luckily, the next day I was ok again.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I had that from 2007 to 2009. Took two Ibu 600 every day, got a full body MRI, got electroshock therapy, ended in palliative care, got Tramadol and Tilidin... nothing really helped. I just stopped taking the meds one day, and the pains slowly started fading after more than two years.

I still get it when I'm in a hunched position for some time, like, cleaning dishes is HELL. And the other day I was building a bed, and I was hunched or kneeling for a couple of hours, and I didn't have any pain or anything until I was done and got up, when I got a burst of pain unlike anything I've felt in years. I could barely move, and I even cried from the pain. Later I cried again, out of frustration and pain. Luckily, the next day I was ok again.
That sounds nuts. Worse than me.

For those of you who've never had back pain, mine was lower back. Killer pain for days and then goes away.

It's a weird thing because for me, hunching over relieves the pain, but trying to straighten out is death. So standing, lying on a bed, taking a standing shower is painful. But then, if I lie down and curl up a bit the pain goes away. As as weird as it seems, sitting was ok too. You'd think plunking your ass at basically a 90 degree angle would wreck havoc on your spine, but it felt decent.

Going from curled up on a bed to getting up is very painful even if I planned to stand in a hunchback position. It doesn't matter. Just that transition is killer. I'd have to sometimes roll out of bed on a pile of pillows and blankets just to get out of bed and then slowly get up to move around.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
That sounds nuts. Worse than me.

For those of you who've never had back pain, mine was lower back. Killer pain for days and then goes away.

It's a weird thing because for me, hunching over relieves the pain, but trying to straighten out is death. So standing, lying on a bed, taking a standing shower is painful. But then, if you lie die and curl up a bit the pain goes away.

Going from curled up to getting up is very painful even if I planned to stand in a hunchback position. It doesn't matter. Just that transition is killer. I'd have to sometimes roll out of bed on a pile of pillows and blankets just to get out of bed and then slowly get up to move around.
Yeah, it in the lower back, and really was hell. I couldn't work for two years. And I was walking funny so my back wouldn't hurt as much, which in turn gave me the most horrible pain in my right upper thigh :( I remember going to a Chinese buffet, and while I was standing there waiting in line the pain just overwhelmed me and I almost fell over. Had to cry from the pain in front of the whole restaurant, too :( Never went there again.

Last edited:

ssringo

Had a toothache one Friday that slowly got worse until Sunday at which point the pain shot up and stayed. Initially I was going to ride it out as I didn't have insurance at the time or the money to get work done. But by Sunday night I was ready to sell my body and organs for money. Unfortunately this was in Covid shutdown and nothing was open and I couldn't even find anywhere to take me for emergency. I had to endure the pain until the next day.

Monday morning I finally got seen. I had an infected and abscessed upper tooth. Was given painkillers and antibiotics. I stayed home sleeping for several days as the drugs did their magic. I could feel the heat my body was giving off in my mattress when I moved around.

The end result was I had to get two root canals and crowns because of the infection. Luckily got a credit card that didn't charge interest for a period of time and used it to pay for the work.

I'm not a massively tough guy but none of the various injuries I've had over the years have made me cry. But the pain from this had me weeping like I'd never done before.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, it in the lower back, and really was hell. I couldn't work for two years. And I was walking funny so my back wouldn't hurt as much, which in turn gave me the most horrible pain in my right upper thigh :( I remember going to a Chinese buffet, and while I was standing there waiting in line the pain just overwhelmed me and I almost fell over. Had to cry from the pain in front of the whole restaurant, too :( Never went there again.
Count your blessings. The Chinese buffet would probably give you more pain than your back!

Ellery

Inflamed gallbladder jesus christ. I pushed my body against the wall in pain, cried and puked and then got meds so strong at the hospital I don't really remember much of that day.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Kidney stones. Had a bout in 2016 where it was complete with sepsis and internal bleeding.

I'd take death over that pain again.

Last edited:
I've had a compound fracture and other broken bones, kidney stones, needed stitched back together.......but I would go through all of those 1000 times over instead the poison ivy infection I got when I was younger.

Three bulging discs training for a Krav Maga grading and the next day I was hunched over like an old lady. For weeks I was bombing Tramadol like they were smarties. It has taken me over two years of physiotherapy and a chiropractor to get my life back.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Damaged a ligament in my knee playing basketball. I had to do rehab and I still feel it when I can't stretch out. I had never felt anything like that.

My wife also ripped off my big toenail moving furniture a week before we married. It hurt but it was sudden and quick.

Kenpachii

infected tooth, it was so bad i had to vomit and passed out from the pain after 48 hours of not being able to sleep.

My burn wounds where easier.

Last edited:

GladiusFrog

Zoster virus decided to make its way through the nerves in my eye, Been shot, stabbed and have had multiple broken bones in my life.

This was the worst by far. Almost lost my eye, destroyed my sight unfortunately and I have permanent nerve damage on the side of my body that the virus attacked.

Pain forever without a cure. Still feel lucky then most on this planet.

Neff

Breaking my arm
My one and only migraine
burns from my hand being covered in flaming marshmallow and coconut

Think I've gotten off pretty easy all things considered

TrueLegend

I had all my wisdom tooth early on. They were big, broad and created complication....the doctors operated on them and I got 12 stiches inside mouth...and I forgot to take pain suppression med one night. It was something and I have had 3rd degree burn on my entire right hand. That being said I have seen people go through much worse.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Wisdom teeth surgery and the drug store was out of the prescription pain meds and every other store within 20 miles was closed or out too. A day of missery that was.

A few years ago I had to get my Gall Bladder removed. The physical pain that i experienced was one of the worst times in my life. What sucks is that i went through multiple hospital visits until they finally found out that it was indeed my Gall stones that were the source of my pain. I had so many flare ups, but the worst of them all was when my then wife found me on the floor of our new born son's room knocked out from the pain. I went to the ER so many times that the ER staff started thinking that I was a junkie, just going there for pain medication. I've female friend and family members who have had gall stones and in turn their gall bladder removed tell me that the pain from those things are worse than giving birth.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wisdom teeth surgery and the drug store was out of the prescription pain meds and every other store within 20 miles was closed or out too. A day of missery that was.
I was lucky. I got 4 wisdom teeth out in my high school senior year. I was awake the whole time and felt nothing. The dentist must had pumped my gum with so much freezing shit it was fine. I dont remember the after surgery being painful either. I just remember lots of blood and gauze pads.

Another painful thing for me aside from back pain was getting braces. Some people say it didnt hurt. For me, it was fine when I got it the first day. But the second I woke up the next day my teeth hurt so bad I thought the traintracks were going to break my teeth. I couldnt eat solid food for a few days.

At the age of six I tripped on a doorstep and fell through a glass door and cut both my wrists up pretty badly. My parents immediately wrapped my wrists up tight with items of clothing from themselves and my older sister. I was rushed to hospital covered in blood but nothing to serious, the nurses were great at calming me down and stitching me back up.

Top Bottom