• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst physical pain you've experienced in your life?

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I've never felt serious pain. What the fuck are the rest of you doing? Living in the middle ages?

0679_peter_looking_stupid.jpg

Batiman

Banned
Probably getting my ring finger at the nail crushed in the hinges of some heavy ass doors. I’ve had a lot of fucked up injuries but that little finger pain had to be the worst. Horrible

haxan7

Banned
Mine would have to be this mouth infection I got two years ago when I tried TCP mouthwash. The next day I woke up with like a dozen ulcers all over my mouth. Tongue, lip, cheeks, etc. Each stang very sharply to the point where I couldn't even open my mouth properly because it would get very painful and couldn't sleep without waking up at 2 hour intervals or so. Thankfully it only lasted a week though.
I had something similar. I had Stevens Johnson syndrome in my mouth like 10 times due to reactions to antibiotics (I recommend not googling Stevens Johnson) when I was a teenager/early 20s. No one figured out what it was or what was causing it for like 10 years. It caused a mouthful of excruciatingly painful large blisters that made it almost impossible to eat or drink. A few times it lasted 3+ months.

pesaddict

Banned
Broken collar meh, three eye surgeries FUCK ME !! imagine thousands of eye lashes in your eye all at the same time.

Asthmatic attack so bad your neck and traps muscles feel like there going rip themselves off

I had something similar. I had Stevens Johnson syndrome in my mouth like 10 times due to reactions to antibiotics (I recommend not googling Stevens Johnson) when I was a teenager/early 20s. No one figured out what it was or what was causing it for like 10 years. It caused a mouthful of excruciatingly painful large blisters that made it almost impossible to eat or drink. A few times it lasted 3+ months.
You had it for 10 fucking years? I'd have offed myself if it lasted longer than like month. Damn.

Probably getting my ring finger at the nail crushed in the hinges of some heavy ass doors. I’ve had a lot of fucked up injuries but that little finger pain had to be the worst. Horrible
Ouch, must have been very painful at the nail. I've had a fear of door hinges since my finger was crushed by one when I was 12.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
dad took a chipped tooth out of my mouth when i was little he really should've let the fukking dentist remove it but he was being a cheap as$. also when I had an infection under my thumbnail peeling the nail off of the skin it was hard as heck to fall asleep didn’t take any painkillers

MastAndo

I had my eardrum rupture on me a few years back, and the pain leading up to that was debilitating. I thought it was just a particularly bad ear infection (had those my whole life), but it was basically unbearable.

I tried to take some pain medicine and somehow sleep it off (which wasn't happening), but eventually I started hearing this whooshing sound and whatever build up that was happening behind my eardrum busted right through it - blood and nasty ear stuff all over the pillow. It actually felt a lot better for a minute as the pressure was relieved, but it was still a bitch. Bad times.

hollams

Gold Member
I had an ingrown big toe nail and while I was at work crossing my leg in a chair I hit it on a crossbeam and just about cried I was in so much pain.

Got drunk and sunburned at my apartment pool in college with my gf and some friends. Went inside to sleep it all off and woke up feeling like I was being stung by thousands of bees.

Turns out I was experiencing "hell's itch":

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/what-the-heck-is-hells-itch/

Imagine the most intense and urgent itch you've ever experienced in your life, but scratching it only causes it to intensify because it's located deep beneath your skin. And combine that itch with an extremely painful stinging sensation. The only thing that gave me any relief was taking a big enough dose of Benadryl to knock out an elephant.

This happened ~14 years ago and I'm still scared shitless of getting a bad sunburn again.
I got it on my back, the blisters popping hurt like hell too.

haxan7

Banned
You had it for 10 fucking years? I'd have offed myself if it lasted longer than like month. Damn.
Nope. It happened around 10 times over a period of about 10 years. It hasn't happened since around 2011 so I don't remember the specifics (luckily). It usually took about a month to go away. There were a couple times it lasted 3-4 months.

Last edited:

Brigandier

Esophageal spasm.... I had it that bad I was rolling around the floor throwing up huge amounts of stomach acid causing my esophagus to spasm/close even more and make me choke, I could hardly breathe.

I couldn't stand up straight as the chestpain was radiating through my upper back and whole body and my arms felt like they were being stabbed.

Made me panic and anxiety thinking it was a heart attack.... Went to A and E (ER) had alsorts of medication through IV/cannula but nothing touched it for about 16 hours I was a wreck.

I would rather have broken my leg.

Pimpbaa

Tripped over the vacuum in the basement and smashed in the end of the radius bone (at the wrist) in my arm. I almost passed out due to the pain. Definitely beats the multiple kidney stones I‘ve had.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had a bowling ball thrown at my face. I use to have a lot of guys over as a teen and we would get high together. We were out in the garage and one of the guys found my mom’s old bowling ball. We thought it would be a great idea to play catch with the bowling ball in my front yard. The guy tossed it and it slipped between my palms and smacked me in the mouth. I heard the popping and cracking as my two front teeth exploded. I ended up getting pain meds because the pain was unbearable. The doctors had to rip out both roots and I had to have implants.

The second worst pain was when I broke my ankle. I was on a teeter totter and the bell rang. The kid decides to jump off. I am up in the air and my ankle is underneath. I hit the ground and I couldn’t move my foot. Everyone else was going back inside, so I had to yell before a teacher noticed me on the ground.

Last edited:
Kidney stones, by far. The only relief from the pain were the few seconds of violent dry-heaving that came every once in a while. Gout flare/arthiritic episode of some sort is second place.

ramuh

Removing ingrown big toe nails..twice. Worst part is the four or so needles in each toe. Thankfully after the second one, deadened the outer part so it wouldnt return. Then got bunionectomy surgery on both toes. Oh and chemo.

Probably something wimpy like constipation pain.

Thank god I didn't inherit kidney stones from my my mom like my brother has. He's had many of them.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Was involved in an accident at work 9 years ago and got a 100 kg tin plate door over me. I broke two vertebrates in my lower back and was hospitalized and away from work for 9 months. The pain was excruciating, like something I never felt before. Couldn't stand up on my legs for over a week and had to wear a steel harness on my torso for three months for the back to be fixated. Had to eat morphine for over six months just to ease the pain. I still live with chronic backpain to this day, although it's not as bad as it was the first three years. Today it's quite manageable due to me being very healthy and fit from all the rehabilitation and workout I had to. I'm also grateful I didn't end up in a wheelchair 🙏

Last edited:
I had two gastric ulcers at once when I was like 21 due to stress. Worst ever. Like a very hot and thick needle that is stuck in your gut. There where times when I was close to blacking out because of the pain.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Fell at work on a paw lock (the red lock next to the cargo can) and blew two discs in my back, bruised my spine and bruised one of my kidneys and was pissing blood for about a week. Was out for over six months from work and got so bored while off that I started a video game podcast where I interviewed people in the video game industry.

lukilladog

That moment after two good men of science asked me if I´d rather take surgery over a painful manual rearrangement of my broken arm.

ahtlas7

Wisdom teeth extraction in boot camp by trainees who didn't know how to numb my face. I think there are grip prints permanently embedded into the arm of that dental chair. It was unbelievable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom