• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst physical pain you've experienced in your life?

Blade2.0

Bad case of Gout. had it in the ass joint. couldn't walk, sit, or move. Needed crutches just to move. Not recommended.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Not sure, but a few times during number-two i had cramps so heavy that i thought i would die then and there on the latrine.

Facism

Got an infected wisdom tooth pulled without anesthesia. Wasn’t fun.

this happened to me, except the anaesthetic wasn't working, so I told the dentist to get the fucker out anyway, because the pain from the removal was less than the tooth ache I was suffering with. The feeling when that fucker was out was the best feeling in the world. Previously the toothache had me contemplating walking into traffic or slitting a wrist, it was that bad.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Baseball Demo GIF by MLB Network

BossLackey

Gold Member
Bad inner-ear infection.

When it got bad, I couldn't think, talk nothing. Just pure, blinding pain. A white-hot ice pick stabbing into my ear over and over.

I basically just moaned until I got morphine.

MrMephistoX

This surgery only in my case it was not voluntary and only on one leg since I was born with one leg 4 cm shorter than the other. I read this article and couldn’t imagine someone being so insecure about their height that they would willingly cripple themselves for about a year to get 4 inches taller.

pramod

Banned
Probably when i had a wisdom tooth extraction gone wrong when they had to cut deep into my gums to get the tooth out.

When the anesthesia wore off it was just wave after wave of intense throbbing pain. Its the only time in my life i felt i would pass out from the pain.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Oh another one I just through of, I had a long flight from DFW to NYC, and had an ear infection at the time. The pressure change caused my head to feel like it was about to burst. I was wishing for death.

Never ever ever fly if you have a bad ear infection.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Bad case of Gout. had it in the ass joint. couldn't walk, sit, or move. Needed crutches just to move. Not recommended.
You poor fucker, and in the ass 😬
Gout is painful, Never had myself but I know from patients that it's up there......Oh, Bad choice of words 😂

PhaseJump

Banned
Full body burning nerve damage. Stabbing needle sensation in all joints, wrists, ankles, knees, hips, back every few seconds. Constant. 24/7. All year.

Diabetic, and I stupidly let a new doctor talk me into taking a flu shot despite never getting them. It fucked me to the brink of disability.

Gall stones. Only time I've thrown up from pain.
Same. Vomited. Felt like my abdominal wall was inflamed across my entire torso. Never felt anything quite like it. When your liver is screaming its a weird feeling.

The girlfriend was real supportive. Thought I was making it up lol.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
For the longest time it was when I sprained my hip.

But the WORST PAIN I've ever felt in life was my acute pancreatitis. Man... I tried to tough it out but I finally had to go to the ER .. they admitted me that night. Morphine barely worked.

Dutchy

Definitely an infection I had underneath one of my molars. My work wouldn't let me take a day off for me to go to a dentist so I walked around with the most excruciating pain/headache for several weeks. Couldn't eat, couldn't sleep. One night it got so bad, I swear I was being delirious. Called my dad to drive me to a emergency clinic in the dead of night. They opened up my molar and both dentist' went ''oh damn'' cause dead tissue just flooded out.

The feeling when that fucker was out was the best feeling in the world. Previously the toothache had me contemplating walking into traffic or slitting a wrist, it was that bad.

This sounds so familiar. The pain for me got so bad that it literally made me depressed in a way. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Gout in my ankle after a SEVERELY stupid streak of red meat related dieting during the holiday season.

It was unlike literally anything I could have ever imagined.

Blade2.0

You poor fucker, and in the ass 😬
Gout is painful, Never had myself but I know from patients that it's up there......Oh, Bad choice of words 😂
It was so bad I was doing that painful cry mixed with laughter. On allopurinol now and no attack in 3 years thankfully

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Full body burning nerve damage. Stabbing needle sensation in all joints, wrists, ankles, knees, hips, back every few seconds. Constant. 24/7. All year.

Diabetic, and I stupidly let a new doctor talk me into taking a flu shot despite never getting them. It fucked me to the brink of disability.
Don't think that was the flu shot unless you just were unlucky because I'm type 2 and had the newest COVID and flu shot on the same day and had zero issues. Same arm too

zcaa0g

Banned
Nasal gastric tube. The worst nonsurgical procedure in the medical world. Imagine a first gen covid swab constantly banging on both of your sinuses all the way down to your stomach. Do not recommend.

Spaceman292

Banned

Qhat the fuck bro

Methos#1975

Had a MK-19 hit me in the clevicle barrel first during a humvee rollover, snapping it into several pieces. Didn't feel a thing at first but once the shock wore out,oh man.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Same. It had a big bacteria bubble on its roots. It was excruciating. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
I was going to say this. Had an abscess in one of my back teeth when I was 8/9 which required root canal - was unbearable for a few days.

Nico_D

Inflammation of the pancreas. Can't recommend. But got morphine for it which sounds more fun than it was: threw up immeaditely.

Second on the list was torn rotator cuff. Great pain for over a month.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Don't think that was the flu shot unless you just were unlucky because I'm type 2 and had the newest COVID and flu shot on the same day and had zero issues. Same arm too

Type 1. Neuropathy complications like numbness, or your hands falling asleep and not waking back up for hours could happen from time to time. If you sleep in the wrong position you could be screwed for hours or days.

I'm fully covid vaccinated, pneumonia vaccine. Didn't bother me.

Got the flu shot this year and I reacted to it. Never been allergic to anything in my life.

Qhat the fuck bro

burn-it-down-all.gif

Aesius

Got drunk and sunburned at my apartment pool in college with my gf and some friends. Went inside to sleep it all off and woke up feeling like I was being stung by thousands of bees.

Turns out I was experiencing "hell's itch":

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/what-the-heck-is-hells-itch/

Imagine the most intense and urgent itch you've ever experienced in your life, but scratching it only causes it to intensify because it's located deep beneath your skin. And combine that itch with an extremely painful stinging sensation. The only thing that gave me any relief was taking a big enough dose of Benadryl to knock out an elephant.

This happened ~14 years ago and I'm still scared shitless of getting a bad sunburn again.

Codes 208

Same thing happened to me but before my exams. The teacher said it was the best excuse he ever heard for missing an exam.
Happened to me when i was 19, the day prior my stepdad was pissed at me for whatever reason (hed get mad at me for anything, so i stopped caring for any particular reasons)
So i narrowly avoided a big ass list of chores because of the pain

Trunx81

Gold Member
Appendicitis, at first i thought i was just severely sick (induced vomiting several times but the pain persisted)
when we went to the clinic i described the pain and they told us that it was way too severe to be flu or cold so they sent us to the ER. Got checked and there ya go: my appendix was ready to burst.

If it hadnt gotten checked, it likely would have bursted either that night or the following morning and i wouldve been poisoned from that.

But i digress, it was the kind of pain that didnt come back in waves, it was just constant for hours on end and nothing i did helped

Also a little insult to injury: this happened just before thanksgiving, and after that kind of surgery you cant eat solid foods for several days so i had pudding only. On thanksgiving.
This! So much this!
But the rush of dopamine that you feel when you are finally on to the operation table, just before going into dreamland, was a bliss!

Uhtred

Two things!
Kidney stones! And having a camera inserted into my penis that was like a supersize McDonlads straw to check my bladder.

I prayed for death both times.

Blade2.0

Type 1. Neuropathy complications like numbness, or your hands falling asleep and not waking back up for hours could happen from time to time. If you sleep in the wrong position you could be screwed for hours or days.

I'm fully covid vaccinated, pneumonia vaccine. Didn't bother me.

Got the flu shot this year and I reacted to it. Never been allergic to anything in my life.

burn-it-down-all.gif
dang, that sucks

UnNamed

Banned
I broke my leg, and it was so bad medics weren't able to place the leg in a proper way before leaving with the ambulance.

Josemayuste

Renal colic, it was an absolute nightmare.. thank god I had some painkillers just before a job interview that I had on the same day, because I was on my way to Hospital as soon as that interview ended, I wish that pain to no one, no matter your body position, it hurts the same, horrible.

Got an infected wisdom tooth pulled without anesthesia. Wasn’t fun.

Had a toothache one Friday that slowly got worse until Sunday at which point the pain shot up and stayed. Initially I was going to ride it out as I didn't have insurance at the time or the money to get work done. But by Sunday night I was ready to sell my body and organs for money. Unfortunately this was in Covid shutdown and nothing was open and I couldn't even find anywhere to take me for emergency. I had to endure the pain until the next day.

Monday morning I finally got seen. I had an infected and abscessed upper tooth. Was given painkillers and antibiotics. I stayed home sleeping for several days as the drugs did their magic. I could feel the heat my body was giving off in my mattress when I moved around.

The end result was I had to get two root canals and crowns because of the infection. Luckily got a credit card that didn't charge interest for a period of time and used it to pay for the work.

I'm not a massively tough guy but none of the various injuries I've had over the years have made me cry. But the pain from this had me weeping like I'd never done before.

infected tooth, it was so bad i had to vomit and passed out from the pain after 48 hours of not being able to sleep.

My burn wounds where easier.

I had all my wisdom tooth early on. They were big, broad and created complication....the doctors operated on them and I got 12 stiches inside mouth...and I forgot to take pain suppression med one night. It was something and I have had 3rd degree burn on my entire right hand. That being said I have seen people go through much worse.

this happened to me, except the anaesthetic wasn't working, so I told the dentist to get the fucker out anyway, because the pain from the removal was less than the tooth ache I was suffering with. The feeling when that fucker was out was the best feeling in the world. Previously the toothache had me contemplating walking into traffic or slitting a wrist, it was that bad.

Probably when i had a wisdom tooth extraction gone wrong when they had to cut deep into my gums to get the tooth out.

When the anesthesia wore off it was just wave after wave of intense throbbing pain. Its the only time in my life i felt i would pass out from the pain.
How would they know? That I didn’t text you about your tooth? Every time I talk to Lisa she says “I don’t like the way you treated Scheana you never called her about her tooth.”

levyjl1988

Banned
Gallstones in my gall bladder when I was a kid, it was removed.
Climbing up a hill on a steep hill and getting the worst leg cramp ever, pretty much lay there on the floor like Peter Griffin until the pain subsided, and limped back home.

Dynasty8

Ten years ago... Completely shattered my foot from sports. X-ray looked nasty, hasn't been the same since. I was in so much pain that was punching concrete hard to take some of the pressure off my foot.

Top Bottom