• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would The Last of Us 2 have won GAF GOTY in 2021?

Hypothetical 2021 Game Of The Year

• The Last Of Us 2

Votes: 99 56.3%
  • Ratchet Rift Apart

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Deathloop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metroid Dead

Votes: 34 19.3%
  • It Takes Two

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Resident Evil Village

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Psychonauts 2

Votes: 15 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Dread was outstanding & I had a ton of fun with Village. But yeah I'd say TLOU2 would still be my goty if it came out this year. There's nothing like exploring those rainy Seattle streets, you can feel the chilly wind through your screen. They greatly expanded on the little optional areas you could go to as well.

The only real aspect of TLOU2 that hasn't aged well for me is those first couple hours where everything is hyper linear & there's barely any game mechanics besides rudimentary stealth. But its a cinematic Naughty Dog game so of course its gonna be like that.

Ezquimacore

Banned
You’re coping so hard and for y
I genuinely hate the last of us 2
UtPJpOW.jpg

AddictedProxy

Neo Member
The last of us 2 is trash 🗑️, Keep that shit in 2020, we moved on already. No one talks about that game anymore, just people trying to convince themselves about the game being some sort of achievement.

To me is incredible how fanboys can force a game that's not even from this year nor part of the conversation into the conversation. That's like me saying "would breath of the wild be goty this year" hell yeah it would, it's a bigger achievement than the last of us 2. #StopFanboyism
The meltdowns caused by TLOU are always on another level.

sncvsrtoip

easy, imo this year wasn't bad, many good games like hitman 3, re8, ratchet, returnal, kena, fh5, fc6, judgment, guardians, d2r but lack of 10/10 contenders

Last edited:

Woggleman

T
Not meltdown honestly, just disbelief about how bad are people's standards when it comes to story telling and actual stories just because it has great graphics, basically a shiny turd.
Story is subjective so I will not debate that but the gameplay is also a massive improvement on the first.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Nope, halo map beta is more fun then TloU2 and I dislike mp games and usually love naughty dog stuff. TLoU2 was a well made disaster, don’t care much of poorly told misery simulators.

Topher

Gold Member
The last of us 2 is trash 🗑️, Keep that shit in 2020, we moved on already. No one talks about that game anymore, just people trying to convince themselves about the game being some sort of achievement.
To me is incredible how fanboys can force a game that's not even from this year nor part of the conversation into the conversation. That's like me saying "would breath of the wild be goty this year" hell yeah it would, it's a bigger achievement than the last of us 2. #StopFanboyism
I genuinely hate the last of us 2
UtPJpOW.jpg
Not meltdown honestly, just disbelief about how bad are people's standards when it comes to story telling and actual stories just because it has great graphics, basically a shiny turd.

"not a meltdown"
Wizard Of Oz Dorothy GIF

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The last of us 2 did to story telling what

mario 64 did to gameplay.

it was revolutionary.

And games like that are really rare..

You have to be a fucking idiot to not recognize what tlou2 did better then any other game in story telling and animation.

even if you think the story is shit.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

It wouldn't get my vote, I didn't like it and I'm not planning on replaying it in the future (I've finished TLoU1 multiple times).

It's a weak year overall, but my vote would go to Lost Judgment or Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart.

I didn’t like what happened and I felt genuinely depressed playing the game but even beside me having those feelings I have to give it at bare minimum a 9. The dread fit within the world and it took some serious balls to do what they did.

carlosrox

Banned
TLOU2 is a great game. The hate is idiotic, and I understand the game definitely has some cringe in it, but it's beside the point. It's still an awesome game.

As much as I love Dread and RE8 I'd probably give the nod to TLOU2.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Best tps gameplay in the genre
Smfh
I didn’t like what happened and I felt genuinely depressed playing the game but even beside me having those feelings I have to give it at bare minimum a 9. The dread fit within the world and it took some serious balls to do what they did.
It's not even about what happened. It's the whole thing starting from making Ellie unlikable as f, Abby's father was THAT npc, really???... The structure of the story, Ellie literally slaughters everyone and then at the end she has a change of heart... and I can keep going. Abby is not even the problem of the game. Just a trash story overall that people are praising because the gameplay is supposedly special.

People are going to have to face the fact that Abby isnt sleeping under their bed first.

The game needs a directors cut or something. It’s too intense to replay. Can’t wait for multiplayer.

Hugare

Its a great game but I don't see how it competes with the creativity of most of the other games there tbh. What does TLOU2 do fundamentally different gameplay wise from 1?

Village for me definitely, what a fun and creative game that was. All enemy types were great fun to fight and the animations are fucking spectacular, just as good as TLOU2 but in a different way. Japanese games don't go in for a million motion blended animations, they focus on making sure its really really fun instead.
Saying that TLOU > TLOU 2 lacked inovation in terms of gameplay and at the same time praising Village which is basically a RE VII reskin in terms of gameplay is definitely an odd opinion

Banjo64

cumsessed
Best tps gameplay in the genre
I disagree Ass. Modern ND (Uncharted/TLoU) excel in spite of their game play IMO. I’ve read other people’s comments who like the gameplay also, so clearly it appeals to some, but for me it is floaty. I preferred the third person gameplay in A Plague Tale.

I disagree Ass. Modern ND (Uncharted/TLoU) excel in spite of their game play IMO. I’ve read other people’s comments who like the gameplay also, so clearly it appeals to some, but for me it is floaty. I preferred the third person gameplay in A Plague Tale.

TLOU and every single Uncharted has always played like ass to me. Well U4 played decently. Was just so boring

TLOU2 was such a shocking step up though. It felt amazing to play. Abbie was so fun as well.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No, it is NOT like BOTW because BOTW is universally loved unlike TLOU2. Especially on this board. TLOU2 is polarizing. It was voted out in like the first bracket in the Game of the Generation vote just last year.

All you had to do was read the OP. The reasoning for this thread is all there. But nope, you had to go get triggered immediately at the thread title and have a 4 post meltdown in a thread you couldnt care less about. Stop fanboyism indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom