• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would The Last of Us 2 have won GAF GOTY in 2021?

Hypothetical 2021 Game Of The Year

• The Last Of Us 2

Votes: 99 56.3%
  • Ratchet Rift Apart

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Deathloop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metroid Dead

Votes: 34 19.3%
  • It Takes Two

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Resident Evil Village

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Psychonauts 2

Votes: 15 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smfh

It's not even about what happened. It's the whole thing starting from making Ellie unlikable as f, Abby's father was THAT npc, really???... The structure of the story, Ellie literally slaughters everyone and then at the end she has a change of heart... and I can keep going. Abby is not even the problem of the game. Just a trash story overall that people are praising because the gameplay is supposedly special.
I was with Ellie, I still liked her character. I think Abby’s father made sense with the story too.

I wanted the ending to be the opposite of what happened but it makes perfect sense dude. That wasn’t even close to a fair fight, she was emaciated. That’s enough to spark something in the brain.

Graphics and animations were on another level too, best in class. Gameplay was good to great as well.

Last edited:

T0minator

I couldn't even finish half the first game. Didn't bother with the 2nd game. So for me, no, I seriously doubt it.

Dread is my GOTY and is the best action game I've played since Ninja Gaiden 2, and from what I've heard Psychonauts 2 is one of the best platformers of recent years. And The Ascent is one of the most impressive sci-fi games I've played since Mass Effect 2.

Games aren't radically better now than when TLOU2 was out, but I have always disliked that series so it doesn't affect my decision.
Soooo you're saying in your opinion no it would not have won GOTY...you seriously doubt it ..even though you didn't bother playing it .. 🤔 seems like a great logical opinion. If you actually tried it and gave it a chance you would see its one of the greatest games if this last generation. The visceral combat and the enemy AI on hard mode shows a level of game design that most other devs won't reach into deep into this current generation. It's crazy to me how ppl judge a game before even trying it. It's really strange to me. If I didn't play a game I wouldn't state "no it's not great" without playing it

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Soooo you're saying in your opinion no it would not have won GOTY...you seriously doubt it ..even though you didn't bother playing it .. 🤔 seems like a great logical opinion. If you actually tried it and gave it a chance you would see its one of the greatest games if this last generation. The visceral combat and the enemy AI on hard mode shows a level of game design that most other devs won't reach into deep into this current generation. It's crazy to me how ppl judge a game before even trying it. It's really strange to me. If I didn't play a game I wouldn't state "no it's not great" without playing it
I'll try it when it's $10 or free. The first game is one of the only games I've ever returned to the store. The second game looks impressive graphically, but pretty similar in terms of gameplay and story style. For me, the question is whether or not I even want to play it. It's not in the running for GOTY for me under any circumstances.

As I said, "Didn't bother to play the 2nd one so for me, I seriously doubt it."

Woggleman

I don't know how people expected Ellie to stay the same innocent 14 year old that she was in the first game at 19 years old especially in a violent world where the law of the jungle rules. You can ever see the change in her starting after the winter level in the first game.

I always liked ND gameplay and TLOU was good but the sequel just brings it to another level. It is to the point where it has raised the bar for other games as well. It shows that you can have smooth and responsive controls while still being weighty and realistic. In some ways it ruined RDR2 for me.

Ellery

To me is incredible how fanboys can force a game that's not even from this year nor part of the conversation into the conversation. That's like me saying "would breath of the wild be goty this year" hell yeah it would, it's a bigger achievement than the last of us 2. #StopFanboyism

You actually just did the very same thing and then doubled down on it.

:pie_thinking:

:pie_thinking:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol zero votes for deathloop. lmao

IRRc83c.jpg

nikos

From that list, I voted It Takes Two. Haven't played TLOU2 because I didn't like the first game.

There were so many releases this year that are way more deserving of a spot on that list than what's there.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Smfh

It's not even about what happened. It's the whole thing starting from making Ellie unlikable as f, Abby's father was THAT npc, really???... The structure of the story, Ellie literally slaughters everyone and then at the end she has a change of heart... and I can keep going. Abby is not even the problem of the game. Just a trash story overall that people are praising because the gameplay is supposedly special.

That didn't happen. lol

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Deathloop is the game that just never goes away.

I hope Returnal wins a lot of Awards this year. It's truly an amazing game.

Warablo

What kind of shit list is that?

The Last of Us II was good, just had tons of story pacing issues and made Ellie unlikeable.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Saying that TLOU > TLOU 2 lacked inovation in terms of gameplay and at the same time praising Village which is basically a RE VII reskin in terms of gameplay is definitely an odd opinion

Have you actually played both these games to completition? How many enemy types does 7 have and how many does Village have? And how many different environments does 7 have vs 8. 7 is like a prototype of 8 and 8 is the proper game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still voting for Ratchet. Of course, TLOUP2 was a disappointment for me.

I thought God of War was better than TLOU2 if I'm being honest.

It's completely objective really. I love God of War but TLOU is on another level for me.

All these games like TLOU Series, Red Dead God Of War etc can pretty much come down to personal preference in setting etc.

All brilliant top tier games.

Then I'd say the like of Ghost of Tsushima etc are a lower level cause they don't have the polish that the other games do

Doom85

The meltdowns caused by TLOU are always on another level.

No joke, I watched a bunch of Youtube reactions to last year’s winner reveal and a decent amount of people were slamming their hand down hard on their desks (ouch) but the real crazy one was a guy grabbing his keyboard and hurling it offscreen. Like, goddamn, calm your asses down already.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The Last of Us Part 2 is not well liked around here
Tom Cruise What GIF

Every Sony game is loved by the majority here, the difference is TLoU2 divided the hardcore fanboy club, where some still stood while other just had enough.

The game even came as number 2 last year, beaten by another PlayStation (console) exclusive. So I'd hardly say that the game is hated around these parts.

thats easy. ranking them is the difficulty part. do a top five.

Mine would be

1. TLOU
2. TLOU Part II
3. God of War
4. BLOODBORNE
5. Horizon (Though I don't think it aged great to be honest but loved the world lore when I played it)

If I was throwing third party in Id put Red Dead Redemption 2 into third spot I think. I flip flop between it and God of War but I would favour the wild west setting usually.

Also Rocket League would be up there for me as I used to play that game an ungodly amount.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Most of the angry haters didn't even play it, so I doubt their opinion has changed.
I did play it, and I’m a huge fan of the first one. While a technical masterpiece, the direction and pacing suffers from so many flaws I can’t even begin to name them. I’ve never been more pissed at a story in all of entertainment. It’s also twice as long, at least, as it should be. It’s a wonder I even bothered to finish it.

But yes, it would still win this year’s GOTY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom