• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you as a male actually consider Vasalgel for birth control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prologue

http://www.parsemusfoundation.org/projects/vasalgel/

VASALGEL, A MULTI-YEAR CONTRACEPTIVE

Vasalgel is a long-acting, nonhormonal contraceptive with a significant advantage over vasectomy: it is likely to be more reversible. The procedure is similar to a no-scalpel vasectomy, except a gel is injected into the vas deferens (the tube the sperm swim through), rather than cutting the vas (as is done in vasectomy). If a man wishes to restore flow of sperm, whether after months or years, the polymer is flushed out of the vas with another injection.

John Blade

Sure, as long as I get sedated when the polymer is injected.

image.php

I'd have opted for this as a means to birth control rather than having my gal take hormone altering pills.

Not knocking birth control here, just saying that this seems to mess with you less, so to speak. And this is coming from a guy that's vasectomized.

Greddleok

The vas deferens is probably the last place I'd choose to have an injection.
Condoms are perfectly effective and they prevent STIs too, something that an injection into my balls won't.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The mental image of the injection is probably a lot more painful than the act itself.

I've gotten some needles down there and it's not that terrible. It's uncomfortable as heck and it may make you queazy for a few minutes, but that's it.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
The mental image of the injection is probably a lot more painful than the act itself.

I've gotten some needles down there and it's not that terrible. It's uncomfortable as heck and it may make you queazy for a few minutes, but that's it.

That feeling, in that region, sounds absolutely terrible. I'll stick to noping the fuck outta there.

Of course. As others have said, birth control places the onus on my SO and the hormone may or may not affect her in various ways.

If you could knock me out for during the procedure and then in a few years I can decide if we want to keep it up with another injection or start working on having a child, I'd be all for it.

spuckthew

I see no issue with this as someone who doesn't want kids.

Same. I've actually been waiting for male birth control for years. My girlfriend doesn't like condoms and I don't trust the pill enough when it is, well, essentially out of my own control.

Icefire1424

...except a gel is injected into the vas deferens...

I read that, and he went away. I don't know where he went, I didn't even know he could do that, all I know is, he's gone now. He's an innie.

DJ_Lae

Sure, if it works.

Are there any complications, though? I've had a vasectomy and they generally leave the bottom part of the vas deferens open so sperm can leak out and absorb back into the body as sealing both ends can contribute to epididymitis, sperm granulomas, etc. Basically putting a plug in there seems like it might have similar issues.

I'm scared of needles to the point where I've passed out after getting shots/blood drawn, so there's no way I could handle taking a needle to the sack. If they could drug me out of my mind before doing it, then yes I'd totally be up for it. Sounds like a great form of male BC.

Kyne

VASALGEL, A MULTI-YEAR CONTRACEPTIVE

Vasalgel is a long-acting, nonhormonal contraceptive with a significant advantage over vasectomy: it is likely to be more reversible. The procedure is similar to a no-scalpel vasectomy, except a gel is inject--- .

tumblr_nusdolDicM1s373hwo1_500.gif

kirby_fox

Banned
I don't expect to have to worry about this anytime soon, so no I think I'll stick to the being alone thing without a needle going into my nether region.

Dalek

I've had a vasectomy. Believe me-the needles hurt like hell.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=152504993

I was told by everyone going in that it was pain free, etc. I was hoping they would knock me out, because I was nervous but the nurse and doctor laughed at that. My friend who lives further away was also getting one done the week before me. He told me to ask for a small sedative to help relax before the procedure. When I asked for one the day of the procedure, they looked at me like they had never heard the question before and couldn't imagine why anyone would be nervous.

I get dressed up in this little gown, and I laid down on the table. I'm basically staring straight up at the ceiling and the doctor comes in and starts. They have to basically inject your scrotum with a numbing agent-and I'll be honest with you: This was the most painful, excruciating pain I've ever experienced in my entire life. It felt as if the doctor had my balls in a vice grip and was twisting them around while he was making sure the numbing agent was getting everywhere. I was gripping onto the table and screaming at the top of my lungs-I felt like I was being attacked, basically. The nurse who was there clearly realized I was in agony and did her best to comfort me-basically a wet washcloth on my forehead. After about 30 seconds of this, the pain disappeared as the doctor was performing the surgery.

After about 10 minutes, he gets up, goes to the other side and does the same thing, and I'm having the same reaction.

It was the one of the most awful experiences of my life. Needless to say, I have trouble walking-just because everything there is swollen. I laid in a recliner for 2 days and played Far Cry 4 with rotating ice packs on my groin.

That was the week of Thanksgiving-I went in January to have my semen sample evaluated. They saw "Non-motile" sperm in there. I have no clue how that's possible, but they asked me to do another sample last week-they saw less "non-motile" sperm, but they say they still saw one. Pretty frustrating.

Also-I don't know why this is a thing, but it is. My wife and all her family basically make jokes about the vasectomy and the "pain" I"m in like it's a funny joke. But I'm telling you if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have.

EDIT: also, I texted my friend who had his done the week before and he too said he had a similar experience, that of getting the injection was horribly painful and he was in a lot of pain for about 10 days afterwards - similar to my experience.

If it's 100% reversible, 100% absolutely yes.

The convenience over having an IUD inserted, have to take daily pills, keep condoms around, hormonal options, etc makes it a no brainer. A one time shot for years of worry free (at least pregnancy worry free) sex? Duh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom