• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Successful male contraceptive jab trial brings new form of birth control closer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait would this mean you have no ejaculate?

Also:
https://youtu.be/WDmFzriTCPE?t=28

e7SLHXc.png

Raonak

Banned
Interesting, would still use condoms for hookups. But seems neat for longterm partners.

At the very least itll make beating off less messy :D

Wait would this mean you have no ejaculate?

Also:
https://youtu.be/WDmFzriTCPE?t=28
Not an uncommon question, but no, just like a vasectomy, it in no way affects seminal fluid--just sperm. Seminal fluid is not produced in the vas deferens, it only transports sperm itself from the testes to be mixed with the seminal fluid. So blocking the vas deferens just means that sperm is never added to the mix, but there's otherwise no difference in the ejaculate itself.

Though the fact that this is a very common question really shows how terrible sex ed really is, when men know that little about their own bodies and what's responsible for what. To be clear, that's nothing to be ashamed about or anything--you don't know what you don't know--but nonetheless that this type of stuff is a question at all shows we're really messing up somewhere since we shouldn't be left with questions about how such important stuff works to begin with.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm not kidding if something went up my dick hole and I saw it I think I would faint. I'm very squeamish about that area. I almost fainted in Hard Candy. Not exaggerating, I was on the floor crawling to the bathroom lol

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, no. but I'll happily take a pill, just like my wife does.

I know how injections into your dick feel, after a football accident. it's really not a "oh please" matter.

Derwind

I'll take one for the team if I have to but if it's anything like getting a catheter inserted, it's not going be fun.

LewieP

Though the fact that this is a very common question really shows how terrible sex ed really is, when men know that little about their own bodies and what's responsible for what. To be clear, that's nothing to be ashamed about or anything--you don't know what you don't know--but nonetheless that this type of stuff is a question at all shows we're really messing up somewhere since we shouldn't be left with questions about how such important stuff works to begin with.

Right, I knew that was the case for a vasectomy, but wasn't sure if this procedure was the same in that regard.

mafe

FINALLY! Been waiting on Vasalgel to become comercially available for a couple years.

Also maybe I missed something but I don't think they are shoving anything up anyone's urethra? I imagine it's an injection into the penis/balls.

Bleepey

A tiny injection and its 100% effective. Fuck me what are you guys bitching about? If it's as good as they say sign me and I'll use condoms to protect against disease.

Magwik

Banned
You don't have to watch the procedure, you know.
I dread getting my blood drawn simply of my fear of needles. Most shots are fine, ones into the bone are terrifying. I would rather be inconvenienced than to have a needle "shoved in my pp hole". Any time I would have to pee the mental image would just be there haunting me.

Derwind

I dread getting my blood drawn simply of my fear of needles. Most shots are fine, ones into the bone are terrifying. I would rather be inconvenienced than to have a needle "shoved in my pp hole". Any time I would have to pee the mental image would just be there haunting me.

Well since it's meant to act as a form of contraception, I want to say that you're not the one being inconvenienced here in case an accidental miracle shows up.

bosseye

I'd be surprised if they stick a needle up your hole. I would imagine, like a vasectomy, it makes vastly more sense to actually inject the bit they want to deal with, ie your scrotum.

I've had a vasectomy under local anesthetic, it wasn't what I would call the funnest experience but the benefits vastly outweigh any cons. This gel seems to be even better.

It's bizarre to me those men who get all precious about their penis as if any sort of medical procedure is some kind of violation of your male self, but have zero issue with all the invasive/disruptive female contraceptives.

pashmilla

Banned
however, scientists are still working to overcome unwanted side-effects including depression, acne and soaring libido that are linked to hormone-altering gels, pills and injections.

Oh, you poor things. Imagine having to deal with such horrible side effects!

Imagine. That.

I still maintain that if men menstruated there'd be paid period leave.

Shandy

Based on the reactions, I'm assuming most men don't know the risks and complications of female birth control options.

Magwik

Banned
Well since it's meant to act as a form of contraception, I want to say that you're not the one being inconvenienced here in case an accidental miracle shows up.
Can't have an accidental miracle if you're single and alone in life.
p03wv8tb.jpg

pashmilla

Banned

Have you seen the list of side effects that comes with the pill? Including but not limited to nausea, diarrhoea, depression, breast tenderness, uncontrollable bleeding out of your hooha, gallbladder disease, deep vein thrombosis and possibly strokes and death? Oh and if it contains oestrogen it increases your risk of breast cancer. Yup. But we couldn't possibly do that to men.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
These side effect rate is pretty high with this new study of men when compared with contraception studies for women," OB-GYN and blogger Jen Gunter wrote. "For example and perspective, a study comparing the birth control patch with the pill found a serious adverse event rate of 2%. The pill reduces acne for 70% of women and in studies with the Mirena IUD the rate of acne is 6.8%." Remember that in the study, nearly half of the men got acne.
Sounds great.

Have you seen the list of side effects that comes with the pill? Including but not limited to nausea, diarrhoea, depression, breast tenderness, uncontrollable bleeding out of your hooha, gallbladder disease, deep vein thrombosis and possibly strokes and death? Oh and if it contains oestrogen it increases your risk of breast cancer. Yup. But we couldn't possibly do that to men.

You did not even read the linked article. Right? And yes, I've read the list of side effects.

Khoryos

Just so people are aware, last I checked this doesn't actually *stop* sperm coming out, it just *murders* them. It has a mild charge, which tears sperm apart as they pass it.

Yeah my wife had a horrible time on the pill. I am aware of the side effects that can result.

I am not sure how else to respond beyond encouraging you to read the link. The option should be there when the side effect profile is acceptable (and comparable), but it isn't there yet.

pashmilla

Banned
Just so people are aware, last I checked this doesn't actually *stop* sperm coming out, it just *murders* them. It has a mild charge, which tears sperm apart as they pass it.

Would Republicans be down on this then? You're murdering a potential human! /s

Serious question though, if it wasn't clear. It's probably no different to evacuating a zygote in the minds of pro-lifers. I could imagine some resistance.

I'm not kidding if something went up my dick hole and I saw it I think I would faint. I'm very squeamish about that area. I almost fainted in Hard Candy. Not exaggerating, I was on the floor crawling to the bathroom lol

yeah, no. but I'll happily take a pill, just like my wife does.

I know how injections into your dick feel, after a football accident. it's really not a "oh please" matter.

It wouldn't be an injection int your dick, but through the scrotum, just like a vasectomy (that is, an injection into the vas deferens) for reference, so I'm not sure of the relevance. Like seriously, where is this idea that they'd stick it up your urethra even fuckin' coming from? The amount of ignorance is fucking staggering. Not that "a shot to the balls" might be that much more appealing, but at least know what you're objecting to first exactly and what's involved and what isn't before completely freaking out...

And at least personally, a very infrequent injection sounds like a much better deal that regularly having to take an oral contraceptive you have to take regularly that can completely fuck with your hormones, have any number of side effects and really mess you up.

That's what really sounds great about this to me: incredibly infrequent, long-lasting, no side-effect, pleasure preserving form of contraception with the only trade off being some temporary pain when you get the injection. That seems a very worthwhile trade-off to me. If women can handle pushing a fucking kid out of their privates, surely we can handle taking a needle to our scrotums, right?

It doesn't seem like it even compares to me, especially with all the hassle so many women have to go through with finding a pill/IUD that doesn't result in any side effects or discomfort at all or otherwise sucking it up and dealing with it anyway, and this has almost none of that besides some temporary pain for an injection, but it's still not good enough. It's bad enough that women have to deal with the options they do.

Of course, to be clear, of course there are plenty of women who have no side effects from birth control at all. But there are too many that do, and I can't help getting horribly depressed at my own sex when a solution comes around that means that they don't have to deal with any of that all, no ourselves, but we refuse it anyway because we turn so skittish at the idea, especially when people display complete ignorance at what's actually involved when they do so.

Like, as a man myself, I definitely get that a shot to the balls ain't fun. But then neither is having your sex drive tanking, getting depressed, or any number of other complications that can come from the pill, nevermind the hassle of having to take the thing everyday to begin with and finding one that works. Compared to what women have to deal with, a shot like every 10 years or whatever is a a very, very fuckin' hell of a bargain. So while I'm myself a guy and know the shot itself won't be fun, it's something I'd gladly do to same a woman I get involved with the hassle and that night-and-day difference just makes me unable to not get fuckin' pissed with reactions of so many of my own sex.

Like, it would be one thing if people at least tried to understand first... But with so many reactions every fuckin' time this topic comes up about "stuff going up your dick" or "getting shot in the dick" or whatever that doesn't have anything to do with anything and shows no attempt at understanding what is or isn't involved, and despite the shot, how good a deal it still is despite what women have to deal with when it comes to the pills/IUDS, and maintaining a steadfast refusal anyway? I just... I just can't deal with that. I understand the idea of being hesitant about injections, especially to such a tender area, but with that COMBINED with everything else I mentioned on top of it?

It seems like such a no-brainer and such a simple way to take so much hassle off of women for an incredibly infrequent minor inconvenience like every 10 years or so on our part, but that's still too much to ask and there's so much ignorance on what is or isn't involved on top of that... Just how spoiled are we men exactly? Again, I know it ain't fun, but damn, I just can't help getting heated whenever this topic comes up because of all the nonsense that always comes up. Bah...

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
If you get prostatitis, and 50% of men do, they will put a huge rubber tube up your pp hole and it stays there for months, attached to a bag to collect urine.

Xe4

Banned
I'd be down to take it, even if not immedieatly. I'd probably wait a year or two after it hits market, and then give it a go. It'd be nice having birth control that was 100% effective with out wearing a condom. I pretty much never have sex outside of a relationship, so I would not have to worry about STD's, meaning I wouldn't have to worry about having to wear a condom pretty much ever.

People freaking out over where it's injected need to get over themselves. Seriously, one jab and you can pretty much never have to worry about unintended pregnancy pretty much ever again. Seems like a good deal, if it works as advertised. Too bad the whole thing is still 5 years out.

The "reversible" part has to have 100% success rate though. I don't think many would use a contraceptive that has a chance to accidentally sterilise the user.

Sesha

There's always a bunch of babies in every Vasalgel thread.

Anyway. Sounds good. We're one step closer.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
A highly effective, non hormonal, reversible method like this and people are really freaking out about the procedure?

It's not like they'll shove a pipe cleaner up your joy pipe while you look on with your eyes clamped open clockwork orange style.

Some of these posts make me embarrassed for the male gender.

Jesus, some of the reactions in this thread make it sound like they split your dick with a knife and smash your testicles with a hammer.

Oh no a NEEDLE!

TBiddy

Seriously guys, you're an embarrassment. Do some of you not have a clue about the shit women have to put up with?

They eat a pill, many of them. If they invent a pill for men, I'm all for it. But I'm not going to have someone stick a needle down my urinary tract.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
They eat a pill, many of them. If they invent a pill for men, I'm all for it. But I'm not going to have someone stick a needle down my urinary tract.

Do you know what side effects that pill has?

And what about menstruation, pregnancy, labor, breastfeeding etc etc.

I doubt that a needle goes up your urethrra. That's not really near your vas deferens. Well... Unless you've got the Irish curse... :(

Probably goes in at the base of your schlong near your testes, and it's not very different from getting injected anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom